HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller's Flashes of Brilliance

Old
11-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
Even though he wasn't producing, you could still see the little things he was doing and the effort he was giving.

Give him time and he'll be a regular producer. The potential is clearly there.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:25 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
His ceiling is very high, he could be as good as a 90 point all-star calibre #1 center. He may top out at a 50-60 point two way #2 center though. I don't think he is very far from that, he'll be pushing Gomez soon if he can start putting up numbers. Early on he had a lot of flashes but not much in terms of results.
Certainly possible, he has the talent and work ethic for it. He is likely to become at-least a 25 goal scorer, and he could put up loads assists in his prime with the type of offensive prospects we are developing.

At the beginning of the season, I was expecting him to put up roughly 25-30 points this season. Still possible.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Maxpac

For this thanksgiving i would be most thankful if our line-up was

Cammy-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Maxpac-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Darche
Moen-Halpern-Lappierre

Eller proves time and time again that when he is give good offensive linemates, he has multiple scoring chances. There's not much you can do to help your stats sheet with Tom Pyatt on your line.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 05:22 PM
neofury*

I think his problem up until recently is that he needed to earn Mike Richards' respect. Now he feels he has and he's going to have a break out season. It's all about the Mike Richards effect. You see Mike Richards you actually just won the Stanley Cup for us. Because now you're going to be taught the meaning of the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
For this thanksgiving i would be most thankful if our line-up was

Cammy-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Maxpac-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Darche
Moen-Halpern-Lappierre

Eller proves time and time again that when he is give good offensive linemates, he has multiple scoring chances. There's not much you can do to help your stats sheet with Tom Pyatt on your line.
I would love that line up and imo unliked Desharnais he has a chance to make an impact because he could add size to our top 6. Pouliot-Eller-Darche imo would work better than Pouliot-Halpern-Darche if they gave them 5 or 6 games maximum to adjust.

Moen-Halpern-Lapierre just seems obvious to me though pyatt is a good pker unfortunately it's starting to seem that he might be the 13th forward. I love the guy but if we can still keep our PK up to speed without him....

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

I would love that line up and imo unliked Desharnais he has a chance to make an impact because he could add size to our top 6. Pouliot-Eller-Darche imo would work better than Pouliot-Halpern-Darche if they gave them 5 or 6 games maximum to adjust.

Moen-Halpern-Lapierre just seems obvious to me though pyatt is a good pker unfortunately it's starting to seem that he might be the 13th forward. I love the guy but if we can still keep our PK up to speed without him....
MaxPac was actually right. He needs to spend the full year in the AHL. It's not because he's having a great start that he should be called up, in fact he shouldn't.
Let him dominate the whole year.

In Mtl, it seems people want any prospect that is playing well in the minors to be called up. But doing that is usually less beneficial to the player and in turn, to the team. Developing your prospects properly is a lot more important than present results with the big club. It usually is the difference between progress and stagnancy.

Right now, yes, our team could use more offensive production. But what is important is the fact that we are tied 3rd in the NHL for goal differential. There really is no need to disturb the progress of a youngster like MaxPac. I'm pissed they did it with Weber, let's not do it with MaxPac too.

As for Pyatt, he is our #1 forward used on the PK. What's important to note here is that he is playing on the bottom line. His offensive contribution matters very little to Martin. He wants his 4th liners to have a strong forecheck, not commit any turnovers and play solid defensively. Quite frankly, you can't say he's been disappointing in those aspects of the game, at all. He's also young, only 23. Darche, even if he's playing well, remains the 13th forward. So if someone needs to be scratched out, it will be him, and rightfully so.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Yup, no way he'll ever reach 207lbs...he'll gain 8lbs to 206 and plateau there

Joking aside, Miko is 6'2" 207lbs and Eller is 6'2" 198lbs...not sure where you get that he "won't be as big" If he fills out a bit more that's the size he'll be.

you'll see different sizes listed everywhere. I'm not sure how serious we should take those. Mikko certainly looks like a bigger man though.

Like koivu, I think he has ability to be a 70pt guy down the road. 90 points seems too optimistic.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:25 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
you'll see different sizes listed everywhere. I'm not sure how serious we should take those. Mikko certainly looks like a bigger man though.

Like koivu, I think he has ability to be a 70pt guy down the road. 90 points seems too optimistic.
(just kidding)
I just checked 6 different websites that have him at that size.....

Old
11-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
(just kidding)
I just checked 6 different websites that have him at that size.....
wow, you're fast

I still dont completely believe all the listed sizes out there, though

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:31 PM
RNiner

There was one shift vs. the Kings where he made a few smart plays, and I was thinking 'there's Pleks again, playing his smart game' and then I saw #81.

Eller is just playing like a smart two-way player. He reminds me a bunch of Pleks, and there was a guy who took a while to develop. I think Eller can develop faster then that, but even if we have to wait, I'm very ok with trotting out 3 scoring centers. The Pens showed how valuable having 3 great centers can be, and if Gomez regresses any more having the option to bump up Eller next year is real solid too.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:57 PM
habspinner

My guess is Eller is going to pan into a similar player as Zajac in New Jersey. Pretty big, uses his size but not crash and bang. Protects the puck well, has good vision and is still defensively aware.

One thing I find very intriguing about Eller is his ability to shield the puck, and move it well around the defenseman or checking forward. He already is strong on his feet, when he gets stronger with in his upper body, he should be a real force.

It should be interesting to see him move up in the system. The team seems convinced to use him as a center, which begs the question; how many full time rookie centers are there in the league this year?

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
My guess is Eller is going to pan into a similar player as Zajac in New Jersey. Pretty big, uses his size but not crash and bang. Protects the puck well, has good vision and is still defensively aware.
Getting a Zajac type player for Halak + Price panning out= ****ing steal bu Gauthier!!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:39 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Getting a Zajac type player for Halak + Price panning out= ****ing steal bu Gauthier!!
I'd laugh if in like 20 years from now we look back and his stats look something like this: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=5252

Old
11-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
I'd laugh if in like 20 years from now we look back and his stats look something like this: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=5252

Nice. But toning down the optimism a tad, its more likely to follow this path:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56074

Still pretty good though.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
How good do you anticipate him to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I'm no expert, but the ceiling seems awfully high for this guy. I would say easily a No. 2 center, wouldn't be surprised at No.1 .
I would be curious to know what your evaluation of Eller is, Mike8.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

One thing I find very intriguing about Eller is his ability to shield the puck, and move it well around the defenseman or checking forward. He already is strong on his feet, when he gets stronger with in his upper body, he should be a real force.

It should be interesting to see him move up in the system. The team seems convinced to use him as a center, which begs the question; how many full time rookie centers are there in the league this year?
Hopefully the Zajac of last year and not the one of this year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:26 AM
habspinner

Quote:
Hopefully the Zajac of last year and not the one of this year.
The Devils are a terrible team this year that can barely score goals - I don't think it's a fault of Zajac. If you look at his career sats he's been awfully consistent.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:33 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
The Devils are a terrible team this year that can barely score goals - I don't think it's a fault of Zajac. If you look at his career sats he's been awfully consistent.
Yeah ... centering Parise could help too

katatoniak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Andy

2g-2a in his last 5 games.

I don't expect him to keep producing at this pace, but he's getting really comfortable and really dangerous lately. He's starting to put it all together. Let's hope he continues on this development.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
m00ks

Wait, wait, wait. So Martin DIDN'T ruin him?!?!

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Form and Substance

If he pans out like Mikko Koivu...I'd be beyond ecstatic!!

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Go Big Lars Go

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 09:54 PM
GoldenForum

Eller's Flashes of Brilliance

I love the way Jacques has brought Eller along. Shielding him from the pressure in Montreal and allowing the kid to blossom defensively. And along the way Eller does some things offensively, notably his smooth stride, controlled stickhandling, and graceful hockey flair, that are really promising (and so enjoyable to watch). He clearly makes some mistakes, but not too many-- very smart with the puck.

It is not hard to imagine him morphing into a Pleks-like player in 4-5 years time. I can't wait to see how good this kid can become.

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:04 PM
scottyG

Man just imagine...

Eller= Mikko Koivu (70-80 point, 2-way center with size)
Schultz= Moen type
Price= Consistent .920+%, 30+ wins/ per season

Not a bad trade if u ask me

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:08 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Eller reminds me a lot of Mats Sundin the way he carries the puck, he doesn't have the pure goal scoring ability that Mats did... But in the other aspects? They look similar in styles in my opinion.

Watching him play right now reminds me very much of when we watched Plekanec enter the league... He's blossoming very well and I have no probems saying he will someday produce 60+ points for us.!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:10 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Eller reminds me a lot of Mats Sundin the way he carries the puck, he doesn't have the pure goal scoring ability that Mats did... But in the other aspects? They look similar in styles in my opinion.

Watching him play right now reminds me very much of when we watched Plekanec enter the league... He's blossoming very well and I have no probems saying he will someday produce 60+ points for us.!
i'd say he shows more offensive prowess than pleks did when he came into the league, but that's not to say that he will be more offensively productive at the same age.

I try to keep my expectations realistic for eller, but every time he plays i keep thinking that we may have got a real gem.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote