HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kevin Weekes Proposals

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2004, 03:45 PM
HughJass*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Kevin Weekes Proposals

The writing is on the wall. Smoke them if you got them. Canes needs what all team needs: a young, puck moving defenseman who has a real chance to make some sort of impact. Eventually.

Old
06-18-2004, 03:50 PM
IslesJack

Send a message via ICQ to IslesJack Send a message via AIM to IslesJack
Well, the Rangers need a goalie, and the Hurricanes need a young offensive defenseman so what about:

To NYR:
Kevin Weekes

To Hurricanes:
Tom Poti

I am not sure if it would work financially for the Hurricanes, but it makes sense for both teams. Perhaps draft picks or young prospects added in the mix to even it out.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:16 PM
ZombieMatt

Maybe something could be worked out between Carolina and LA, involving Weekes + something for Grebeshkov or Gleason.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
could a Package of Weekes and Oniell be delt to Toronto for Kaberle + something else?

Old
06-18-2004, 04:40 PM
goalienut

To St. Louis: Weekes, Lysak
To Carolina: Backman, Boguniecki, 3th rounder in 2005

Old
06-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Weekes and O'Neill for Kaberle, Colaiacovo, and a 4th Round pick would be enough for me to send both of them packing.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:47 PM
goalienut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Weekes and O'Neill for Kaberle, Colaiacovo, and a 4th Round pick would be enough for me to send both of them packing.
Sounds good but an overpayment by Carolina. let me tweak it a little:
To Tor: Weekes and O'Neil
To Car: Pilar, Colaiacovo, Kaberle, 3th in 2005

How does that sound.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:50 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever

You are offering the Leafs a couple of good players, but I don't think we can move both Kaberle and Colaiacovo.

Question: Do you think the Canes will qualify Weekes? I would be hesitant to pay much in a trade until this fact was firmly established.

And while I like O'Neill. I'm concerned about his poor season. Was it an aberration (sp?) or is the beginning of an offensive decline.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:52 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalienut
Sounds good but an overpayment by Carolina. let me tweak it a little:
To Tor: Weekes and O'Neil
To Car: Pilar, Colaiacovo, Kaberle, 3th in 2005

How does that sound.
Makes little sense for Toronto I'm afraid. We trade three young defenceman and a draft pick (of which we have few) and get two older playrs with some questions surrounding them.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Ott: Weekes and O'Neill
Car: Bonk, White, 3rd rounder

Old
06-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Lobstertainment

To Tor- Weekes
To Car- Pilar

Kaberle + 2nd next year + Pilar for Oniell and Weekes.

Old
06-18-2004, 06:07 PM
HuskyFlames

If Weekes is traded I think any team that picks him up will be surprised. Any time I have seen him play he has looked amazing. He is very acrobatic. I personally think he is one of the more underrated goalies in the NHL right now.

Old
06-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Ott: Weekes and O'Neill
Car: Bonk, White, 3rd rounder
If I was Carolina, I would sign this in a second.

Old
06-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Mizral

I highly doubt Weekes is moved, but...

Alexei Semenov for Kevin Weekes?

Old
06-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
To Tor- Weekes
To Car- Pilar

Kaberle + 2nd next year + Pilar for Oniell and Weekes.
Don't be so generous. Pilar has low trade value, I doubt he could fetch Weekes's left skate. Your second offer is better, but that doesn't say much considering how bad the first one was. I doubt the Hurricanes would do that either unless they are confident in some sort of a tandem of Gerber, DesRochers or Ward (and I doubt it) and feel that a puckmoving defenseman (Kaberle) is more important than the package of size and skill that O'Neill offers. The Hurricanes said it before - they'll only move O'Neill in a deal that improves the team - and this deal doesn't improve the team.

Old
06-18-2004, 06:50 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
Don't be so generous. Pilar has low trade value, I doubt he could fetch Weekes's left skate. Your second offer is better, but that doesn't say much considering how bad the first one was. I doubt the Hurricanes would do that either unless they are confident in some sort of a tandem of Gerber, DesRochers or Ward (and I doubt it) and feel that a puckmoving defenseman (Kaberle) is more important than the package of size and skill that O'Neill offers. The Hurricanes said it before - they'll only move O'Neill in a deal that improves the team - and this deal doesn't improve the team.

Perhaps you are right, but what if Carolina has no intention of keeping Weekes? Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see Ward at the NHL level next season.

Old
06-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Perhaps you are right, but what if Carolina has no intention of keeping Weekes? Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see Ward at the NHL level next season.
Oh, for sure, Weekes could be moved, but that doesn't mean that they take the first offer they see. And I guarantee you that the Hurricanes could get more for Weekes than Pilar, who is little more than a fringe third pairing defenseman.

Old
06-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Street Hawk

Minors...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Every goalie needs time to develop..... Don't rush them.. Theodore, Giguere, Turco, Denis, Raycroft, Luongo, Kipper, etc. all spent time in the minors prior to arriving at the NHL.

The ones that didn't, Blackburn, Fleury didn't do too well after the first few weeks. Not to mention that Thibault and Fichaud were rushed in a bit too early too.

As for Weekes, I think most people here, IMO are listing the wrong teams that would be interested in his services.

Ottawa, is a contender and I can't imagine that they would enter the playoffs with a guy with single digits in playoff games. Ditto for the Leafs.

However, teams like LA and StL on the other hand, I could see something there. Neither are contenders. LA needs consistent goaltending right now, they have a solid backup in Huet and are likely to take a goalie in this draft. St. Louis, needs an upgrade over Ozzie. However, do keep in mind Canes fans, that the Buffalo sabres are going to be moving either Biron or Noronen before the start of the next NHL season. Ryan Miller is, IMO, guaranteed the backup job, which means one of those 2 guys has to go. So, LA and StL can use that as leverage in a trade. Biron is 2 years younger than Weekes, while Noronen is 4 years younger. (I'm using draft years, not actual years ok.)

Salary wise, Noronen is the cheapest. Biron made around 2.3 or something this past season. And Weekes, depends what he ends up signing for or gets awarded at arbitration.

Old
06-19-2004, 12:11 AM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk
Every goalie needs time to develop..... Don't rush them.. Theodore, Giguere, Turco, Denis, Raycroft, Luongo, Kipper, etc. all spent time in the minors prior to arriving at the NHL.

The ones that didn't, Blackburn, Fleury didn't do too well after the first few weeks. Not to mention that Thibault and Fichaud were rushed in a bit too early too.

As for Weekes, I think most people here, IMO are listing the wrong teams that would be interested in his services.

Ottawa, is a contender and I can't imagine that they would enter the playoffs with a guy with single digits in playoff games. Ditto for the Leafs.

However, teams like LA and StL on the other hand, I could see something there. Neither are contenders. LA needs consistent goaltending right now, they have a solid backup in Huet and are likely to take a goalie in this draft. St. Louis, needs an upgrade over Ozzie. However, do keep in mind Canes fans, that the Buffalo sabres are going to be moving either Biron or Noronen before the start of the next NHL season. Ryan Miller is, IMO, guaranteed the backup job, which means one of those 2 guys has to go. So, LA and StL can use that as leverage in a trade. Biron is 2 years younger than Weekes, while Noronen is 4 years younger. (I'm using draft years, not actual years ok.)

Salary wise, Noronen is the cheapest. Biron made around 2.3 or something this past season. And Weekes, depends what he ends up signing for or gets awarded at arbitration.
Good analysis of the situation, I agree with most of your points. I agree that Cam Ward will probably be given some time in the minors to develop as you are right, that's the way most teams develop their goalies. Also, another factor is that the Hurricanes generally allow their players to develop in the minors before calling them up to the big club. Not too many players jump straight from juniors into their lineup.

I agree also that the Leafs and Senators probably wouldn't be too interested in Weekes, considering there are better options for teams that are expected to contend for the Cup. Weekes is a solid goalie, but he isn't going to take a team to the Cup.

That being said, I agree that LA and St. Louis could definitely be interested in Weekes and that both the Kings and the Blues will probably use the bloated goalie market as leverage to try and get Weekes for cheap.

However, what boosts Weekes value is that he has more playoff experience than Biron and Noronen, and is more consistent and reliable. His salary isn't much higher from Biron's either.

Old
06-19-2004, 02:20 AM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
Well last I checked Weekes is a Pending RFA who is on his way out it seems, last I checked these kind of players don't fetch top buck in the NHL. I admitt my first one isn't good but it's a start, Kaberle for Weekes is Overpayment by the Leafs, as is Colaiacovo, so Pilar is the only Logical choice, To make it fair how about I toss in Bell and/or the 3rd this year.

and how does the 1st affect the 2nd?

Kaberle would help out Carolina's Powerplay deffintly but the Leafs would deffintly want someone like O'Niell coming back, Maybee Brindamour or Cole instead of O'Niell allthough I'd much prefer the Latter myself.

Old
06-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
Maybe something could be worked out between Carolina and LA, involving Weekes + something for Grebeshkov or Gleason.
From a Kings standpoint, hell no.

I'd offer something like Belanger/Cammalleri, and Zizka for Weekes and a 4th/3rd. Maybe even throw in a pick from the Kings standpoint. Carolina's farm is in shambles, no depth on the wings, and the Kings have an abundance of wingers on their farm . . . .

Any interest in Lehoux either?

Old
06-20-2004, 08:00 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
Well last I checked Weekes is a Pending RFA who is on his way out it seems, last I checked these kind of players don't fetch top buck in the NHL. I admitt my first one isn't good but it's a start, Kaberle for Weekes is Overpayment by the Leafs, as is Colaiacovo, so Pilar is the only Logical choice, To make it fair how about I toss in Bell and/or the 3rd this year.

and how does the 1st affect the 2nd?

Kaberle would help out Carolina's Powerplay deffintly but the Leafs would deffintly want someone like O'Niell coming back, Maybee Brindamour or Cole instead of O'Niell allthough I'd much prefer the Latter myself.
cole isnt going anywhere. oneill and weekes are probably both on the block. i think weekes only stays if he signs for a pretty reasonable price - wont happen. he has played well enough these last 2 seasons to ask for enough money for the canes to turn to gerber. this team is a couple years away from contending - they should move weekes at his peak....right now. i think both players would help the leafs a lot, but i dont see them giving up BOTH kaberle and colo. it hurts them too much. i could see kaberle for one of them - tweak it which ever way you think is fair.

Closed Thread