HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Panthers - 12/02/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
12-03-2010, 02:20 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Disagree. When the Kings started the season they were not allowing those types of quality chances.
... Yes, they were.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:31 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
That's because Quick is playing better than Bernier. That's just how it is. Not to say, all goals are Berniers fault. But, when you are playing as well as Quick is, you let the bad goals go because he still got you a win and is playing well every game. (Also, props to him for shutting down the third period last night.)

Bernier is capable of playing better. It's just going to take him some time.

Quick is going to have his off nights. That's something I can not wait for.
While I do agree with you, I don't think anybody (even Quick himself) should "let a soft goal slide.."

I think you feel the same way, but yeah.. We're probably gonna need that save Saturday night and all implications so far this year imply that Quick will come up with it.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Apparently you missed those 2 games last season.
It was like winning the Stanley Cup for us too.

I didn't miss that game where they scored at the last moment to win in a game we should have won. How many shots did Howard stop? ugh.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post

I didn't miss that game where they scored at the last moment to win in a game we should have won. How many shots did Howard stop? ugh.
that game was a heartbreaker. Howard stopped 50+ shots.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post

But you act as though it hasn't happened in "x" number of years, well it has.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Yes, they were.
You are partially correct. The number of "grade A" scoring chances were much, much less. It would appear you would be happier with quick if he stopped 60 shots, all coming from along the boards rather that if he had stopped 10 from the slot.

Say what you want, but Quick was clutch in the 3rd period and gave the team a chance to win.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:07 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
You are partially correct. The number of "grade A" scoring chances were much, much less. It would appear you would be happier with quick if he stopped 60 shots, all coming from along the boards rather that if he had stopped 10 from the slot.

Say what you want, but Quick was clutch in the 3rd period and gave the team a chance to win.
... How many grade A chances were there in yesterday's game, and how does it compare with what they usually gave up in the earlier part of the season? Now THAT info I would be happy with.

And Quick played alright! The sensitivity's turned up to a fever pitch here, isn't it? Just because I said he gave up a soft goal and was fortunate his offense scored enough to get him a win (both true) doesn't automatically mean I thought he was trash. The original quote I responded to was "he really saved the Kings bacon" when in reality it should be "he played alright but the team got him a win". It's not like Quick stole one last night.

Old
12-03-2010, 04:31 PM
jimmy1100

Quote:
... How many grade A chances were there in yesterday's game, and how does it compare with what they usually gave up in the earlier part of the season? Now THAT info I would be happy with.

And Quick played alright! The sensitivity's turned up to a fever pitch here, isn't it? Just because I said he gave up a soft goal and was fortunate his offense scored enough to get him a win (both true) doesn't automatically mean I thought he was trash. The original quote I responded to was "he really saved the Kings bacon" when in reality it should be "he played alright but the team got him a win". It's not like Quick stole one last night.
Fair enough. But considering your history in discussing Quick, I'm sure you can see why someone may have jumped to that conclusion.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:49 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
But you act as though it hasn't happened in "x" number of years, well it has.
Lighten up, dude.

I'm always the first to remind people that the Kings still have a winning record against the Red Wings all time.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Johnny Utah

We can't get all excited for beating a crappy Florida team who played the Ducks the night before by 1 goal. This does mean we've turned a corner yet...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
DeeMeck

How did Weiss end up in the Kings bench last night? They never showed a replay at the game.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:09 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
How did Weiss end up in the Kings bench last night? They never showed a replay at the game.
It was Brown. I was at the game, and just happened to be watching at the right moment. Brown actually gave him a few extra pushes to make sure he went into the bench. I, too, was waiting for that hit replay!

http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocent....A588&fr=false

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Winger23

Quote:

Thats fine, but you are quick to bash quick (no pun intended). Also you say he is "lucky" the team scored enough to win. It's going to be a serious problem if he can give up just 2 goals and be "lucky" to have the team score a whopping 3 goals for him.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:27 PM
DeeMeck

Quick made the big saves in the 3rd period when it mattered. That is all I ask for.

Old
12-03-2010, 05:48 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Thats fine, but you are quick to bash quick (no pun intended). Also you say he is "lucky" the team scored enough to win. It's going to be a serious problem if he can give up just 2 goals and be "lucky" to have the team score a whopping 3 goals for him.
... Not carrying the same pro-Quick bias that most do here doesn't = bashing Quick. Doesn't work that way. When Quick has played well, I've praised him as highly as anyone else. Don't lump me in with the fickle "flavor of the month" crowd just because I post here.

As for your comment about "a whopping 3 goals", the average team scores about 2.8 goals per game, so 3 is usually the magic number to win.

When Quick gets 3 goals of support or more, he's 8-1 with 1 shootout win. When he gets 2 or fewer, he's 1-4 with 2 shootout wins.

When Bernier gets 3 goals of support or more, he's 2-1. When he gets 2 or fewer, he's 0-4.

Old
12-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Chris43

How can no one mention how god awful Simmonds played, in fact how god awful he has been all season.

Chris43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:26 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris43 View Post
How can no one mention how god awful Simmonds played, in fact how god awful he has been all season.
I didn't see any glaring turnovers or missed wide open nets last night. Sure, he's not putting up points, but I'd chalk it up to growing pains more than anything else.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:31 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
I didn't see any glaring turnovers or missed wide open nets last night. Sure, he's not putting up points, but I'd chalk it up to growing pains more than anything else.
Yes, he terribly fanned on a wide open net last night.

I don't remember when, but a scramble ensued followed by the ref blowing the whistle too early after Simmonds dug it out.

Old
12-03-2010, 06:37 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Yes, he terribly fanned on a wide open net last night.

I don't remember when, but a scramble ensued followed by the ref blowing the whistle too early after Simmonds dug it out.
He didn't fan on that play. They showed the replay and Weiss (who had a very good game for Florida) got his stick in there enough to prevent Simmonds from getting the shot off.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Nothing in particular and I don't think Simmonds has been godawful as had previously been stated but I really think he is showing his natural role this year.
I am probably going to get some angered responses for this but he just doesn't seem to have the instincts of an offensive player. I find he has trouble finding the soft areas in the offensive zone, does not make good passes in the offensive zone. His physical tools are there, he has the skill, but seems to lack the hockey sense to put it all together offensively, IMO.

That being said he is valuable 3rd liner, strong skater, good hitter, solid first pass out of the zone and strong on the puck. I think he is prototypical 3rd liner and will be a valuable player for alot of years, but I do not see top 6 upside on a good team.

And before JT gets here with his even strength stats from last year, I am curious if he has some PP stats for Simmonds this year since it seems(at least lately) he is getting PP but he looks lost. That is part of what I am talking about. Most guys that don't normally get PP time when they do will want to get the puck and make something happen, but Simmonds looks like he is still playing his cycle and dump and chase game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser
He didn't fan on that play. They showed the replay and Weiss (who had a very good game for Florida) got his stick in there enough to prevent Simmonds from getting the shot off.
Yep, very good defensive play by Weiss, not much Simmonds could have done on that one.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 07:26 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Nothing in particular and I don't think Simmonds has been godawful as had previously been stated but I really think he is showing his natural role this year.
I am probably going to get some angered responses for this but he just doesn't seem to have the instincts of an offensive player. I find he has trouble finding the soft areas in the offensive zone, does not make good passes in the offensive zone. His physical tools are there, he has the skill, but seems to lack the hockey sense to put it all together offensively, IMO.

That being said he is valuable 3rd liner, strong skater, good hitter, solid first pass out of the zone and strong on the puck. I think he is prototypical 3rd liner and will be a valuable player for alot of years, but I do not see top 6 upside on a good team.

And before JT gets here with his even strength stats from last year, I am curious if he has some PP stats for Simmonds this year since it seems(at least lately) he is getting PP but he looks lost. That is part of what I am talking about. Most guys that don't normally get PP time when they do will want to get the puck and make something happen, but Simmonds looks like he is still playing his cycle and dump and chase game.

Yep, very good defensive play by Weiss, not much Simmonds could have done on that one.
I agree with your assessment of Simmonds's offensive instincts. He might break 20 goals a few times in his career, but I think he'll do it from the third line or when paired with someone who can generate offense that Simmonds might cash in on.

Still though, the skill is there. It's possible that we're not seeing a lot from Simmonds in an offensive role because he hasn't had many opportunities there. Perhaps an extended stint in an explicitly offensive role would give him a chance to develop his instinct.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 07:53 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
I think back to the Devils game and I recollect the Kings getting outshot 45-20 or something like that. However, none of the shots were high quality chances, which is what the Devils, Quick, Murray, and Fox all commented after the game. When we were on the winning streak, I would say we limited high quality scoring chances to one or two a game.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
I didn't see any glaring turnovers or missed wide open nets last night.
That's what I thought too, but when they showed the replay (can they call it anything other than Foxmo?!), a Panther player got his stick on Simmonds' stick so it looked he fanned when he really didn't.

If he gets a clean whack at that puck I imagine he would have scored (but then again I imagine that about a lot Kings' shots).

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:30 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
This is not possible. No one is worse than Patrick O'Neill.
I think the Ucks may say something about this...

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote