HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ugh, I almost forgot what today was

Old
12-03-2010, 10:21 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Did you think about that comment? Really?

Roy was 29 when he left and as a goalie still had some of his best years ahead of him. Koivu, a small forward who suffered multiple injuries and had cancer left at 33 with little left in the tank.

I love Koivu but that he left in 2009 instead of finishing his career here in 2012, 13 or 14 doesn't matter much as he would have a secondary role on the team right now. I'd rather have him than Gomez but it really wouldn't be that much of an upgrade.
It's about loyalty and respect. Koivu gave his entire life to the franchise and they basically said we've used up your value go away now. I'm sure with a name like FlyingKostitsyn that concept is strange to you but I consider letting the longest-serving captain in history walk to be pretty awful. It hurts a heck of a lot more for me to see Saku in another jersey than it did Roy, considering Roy's a dick who demanded out. It's almost funny a guy from Finland bled Habs colours more than the Quebec native.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

self-centered, egotistical, over-confident, whatever negatives his personality brought to a dressing room, he was still the best goalie and brought us 2 stanley cups.

Ill take those types of players any day as long as they deliver as consistently as he did.

ROY FTW

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
McNuts

Réjean Houle destroyed this team, simply by being a simple minded idiot. I can imagine the scenario, and the worst thing is, it's probably not too far from the truth.

- What will you give me for Roy?
- *muting phone* WOOOOHOO! WOOOHOOOOOOHOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!
*unmuting* hmm, let's see..... I can give you Rucinski and Thibeault...
- Do you think I'm an idiot? I want that guy, what's his name.. Kolavenko
- Kovalenko? OK, but you'll have to throw in Mike Keane.
- Deal! *to himself* hehehe, sucker

Lacroix must have laughed histerically, similar to side show Bob. That is INSANE. Houle deserved to get physically beaten, I'm surprised he never did.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:37 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
It's about loyalty and respect. Koivu gave his entire life to the franchise and they basically said we've used up your value go away now. I'm sure with a name like FlyingKostitsyn that concept is strange to you but I consider letting the longest-serving captain in history walk to be pretty awful. It hurts a heck of a lot more for me to see Saku in another jersey than it did Roy, considering Roy's a dick who demanded out. It's almost funny a guy from Finland bled Habs colours more than the Quebec native.
1. Koivu gave his entire life to the franchise... and was paid millions to do so. Its not like we gave him a miserable salary like the players of old. He spent his best years here and I'm 100% certain there is no bad blood between him and the organisation.

2. How the hell do you know how much I value loyalty based on my nickname on a hockey site? Should I determine you are a profoundly unoriginal and plain person because you use what I guess is your name and a bunch of capitalized letters?

3. Its not unprecedented for teams to let their longest serving captain walk.

4. Roy demanding out was entirely the organization's fault. If you want to win you NEED to make your franchise player happy.

On the same order of idea letting Koivu go was a hockey and team culture decision. Gainey probably believed that this would help Martin and the team's new core players to establish themselves and claim the leadership of the team. It worked.

5. Roy brought 2 cups here, he gave it all for us and then was disillusioned by arguably the worse management and coaching team in canadiens history. I understand he wished to leave this circus at the time unless change happened.

Obviously keeping Tremblay as coach and letting Roy go was the best decision for us..

I understand your point, that it would have been a show of respect to let Koivu finish his career here. To win however a team needs to make decisions based on how the team will react and play on the ice. Koivu cannot play on a third or fourth line and it appeared as tho he soon could not play big minutes effectively on the second line. Its also apparent the new leadership group is very strong and younger, its a new era. As I said I love Saku but his career is closing to an end. I only wish he'd sign with a good team to get a chance at the cup like Bourque did (was Boston classless to trade Bourque, btw?). I'm certain Koivu loves Montreal still and would accept a position on the team after he's done playing.

Anyways letting Koivu go is a hockey decision (good) and letting Roy go was an ego decision (bad)

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 12-03-2010 at 10:44 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:39 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
1. Koivu gave his entire life to the franchise... and was paid millions to do so. Its not like we gave him a miserable salary like the players of old. He spent his best years here and I'm 100% certain there is no bad blood between him and the organisation.

2. How the hell do you know how much I value loyalty based on my nickname on a hockey site? Should I determine you are a profoundly unoriginal and plain person because you use what I guess is your name and a bunch of capitalized letters?

3. Its not unprecedented for teams to let their longest serving captain walk.

4. Roy demanding out was entirely the organization's fault. If you want to win you NEED to make your franchise player happy.

On the same order of idea letting Koivu go was a hockey and team culture decision. Gainey probably believed that this would help Martin and the team's new core players to establish themselves and claim the leadership of the team. It worked.

5. Roy brought 2 cups here, he gave it all for us and then was disillusioned by arguably the worse management and coaching team in canadiens history. I understand he wished to leave this circus at the time unless change happened.

Obviously keeping Tremblay as coach and letting Roy go was the best decision for us..

I understand your point, that it would have been a show of respect to let Koivu finish his career here. To win however a team needs to make decisions based on how the team will react and play on the ice. Koivu cannot play on a third or fourth line and it appeared as tho he soon could not play big minutes effectively on the second line. Its also apparent the new leadership group is very strong and younger, its a new era.

Letting Koivu go is a hockey decision (good) and letting Roy go was an ego decision (bad)
Koivu > All our current centers except Plekanec. We wouldn't be having second line scoring issues if Koivu was still here.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Koivu > All our current centers except Plekanec. We wouldn't be having second line scoring issues if Koivu was still here.
Would we be 4th in league right now on a team that's yet to find it's offensive stride?

I doubt it. Give your head a shake - the team is doing well. If you're a Habs fan - stick around. If you're a Koivu only fan, then wtf are you doing trolling our board, ducks fan?

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
You'd be OK with a 5'10'' 36 year old projected to get a hair over 40 points as our second line center?

I'm no Gomez fan but I believe he'll catch up Koivu well before the end of the year. Saku will soon enter his yearly winter slump while Gomez should hopefully heat up in the second half like he always does.

Anyways this thread is about Roy. There is no reason he should be compared to Koivu

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:57 AM
phoque taupe

Gomez would have more points if he had Selanne with him.

But back to the subject, i was pissed off at Tremblay for years, but i got over it when Roy was back at the Bell Center last year.

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:17 AM
neopreneur

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:23 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Considering we're a much better team right now, and you don't win cups on loyalty, I'll say that we're much better without Saku.

And Saku got to play with his good friend in Anaheim. I doubt there are any bad feelings.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:04 PM
No 19

**** Tremblay, Houle & Corey

No 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:49 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
So why did it take 9 goals for Tremblay to pull him?
maybe patrick roy was beating his wife while eating fries before the game thinking he was bigger than the team and tremblay didn't like it ?

slice it all you want, his reactions were pathetic... patrick roy traded himself.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:55 PM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
maybe patrick roy was beating his wife while eating fries before the game thinking he was bigger than the team and tremblay didn't like it ?

slice it all you want, his reactions were pathetic... patrick roy traded himself.
That's retarded.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Habsfan18

Houle and Tremblay were the worst things to ever happen to this organization.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
So why did it take 9 goals for Tremblay to pull him?
Tremblay wanted to teach Roy who was boss

Idiot!

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:21 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post

He saw the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to have team success with the new regime. For sure he forced their hand, but with great results.......for him.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Bill McNeal

Still don't like that his number is in the rafters.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
what an awful trade

makes it even worse when Houle says it
A few things here. First off Mario Tremblay is actually one of the only guys on Antichambre and RDS in general that actually has interesting and intelligent insights, and to say his career has gone south is kind of dumb.

Second of all, Patrick Roy simply didn't want to be on that team anymore and i'm sure he was a serious problem in the dressing room. Mario Tremblay has always been made to look like the villain over the years (mostly because the trade turned out so horribly) but i don't really htink its his fault Roy got traded. It seemed pretty inevitable.

Third of all, the trade like i said turned out horribly, but after doing a little research, if the trade had happened to day, we might have looked at it as potentially "alright". Consider this: Thibault was 10th pick overall 2-3 years removed, and Kovalenko and Rucinsky were averaging about a point a game that year. Of course it was during an era where scoring was probably better than now, but still, as far as rush trades are concerned, what we got in return wasn't too shabby. Things turned out horribly, but you could argue that the pieces we got in return had the potential to turn out way better--they just didn't.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:46 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Réjean Houle destroyed this team, simply by being a simple minded idiot. I can imagine the scenario, and the worst thing is, it's probably not too far from the truth.

- What will you give me for Roy?
- *muting phone* WOOOOHOO! WOOOHOOOOOOHOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!
*unmuting* hmm, let's see..... I can give you Rucinski and Thibeault...
- Do you think I'm an idiot? I want that guy, what's his name.. Kolavenko
- Kovalenko? OK, but you'll have to throw in Mike Keane.
- Deal! *to himself* hehehe, sucker

Lacroix must have laughed histerically, similar to side show Bob. That is INSANE. Houle deserved to get physically beaten, I'm surprised he never did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
That's retarded.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Worst Canadiens coach and GM combo EVER. Period.

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 12-03-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:09 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Honestly, if Peanut make a good trade,nobody talk about this today.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:23 PM
GoHomez

Big ego or not, it worked prior to Houle/Tremblay and it worked in Colorado. I am not saying Roy is without fault here and he is no saint in my eyes.

Big egos and elite sportsmen goes hand in hand, wheter we like it or not. For a TEAM to be successful, that ego has got to be in check while still flourishing. Fans loved the wink to Sandström in the 93 PO and the "I cant hear what Roenick is saying cus I have two rings in my ears", yet that ego cant be bigger than the team.

Bottom line is, Roy played roughly 20 games for Tremblay and Houle supported his coach rather than his superstar goalie.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
As sad as that clip is, I still love watching Roy play!

Is that trade the official beginning of the dark ages?
yes, The Dark Age lasted from 1995 to 2003

i was 9 when my hero was ridiculed and traded, i will never forgive mario trembley for this until the day i die.

ive forgiven the avalanche for fleecing us tho, they took theo off of our hands

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:50 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
Honestly, if Peanut make a good trade,nobody talk about this today.
Sure we would, just in a good way. Just like if there were any Colorado fans on this board, they'd be celebrating that day.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:53 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
yes, The Dark Age lasted from 1995 to 2003

i was 9 when my hero was ridiculed and traded, i will never forgive mario trembley for this until the day i die.

ive forgiven the avalanche for fleecing us tho, they took theo off of our hands
Roy was one my idols until this day too, and as much as I hate Tremblay, lets not pretend that Roy didn't have a part in this. It's been proven time and time again that the guy is a bit of a *********.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote