HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Czech Republic at the 2011 WJC

Old
12-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Czechexpert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Is Mrazek on the team? I heard he had some problems when leaving to North America and one of the guys choosing this years Czech team is his ex-GM(?) from back home who doesn't want to choose him? Is this true or do I have totally wrong info?

If Jiri Fischer is the Assistant Coach, you'd think he's seen Mrazek play, because he does work for Detroit after all.
Chief executive of their Czech team(Vitkovice) is at the same time vice-president of Czech hockey Federation...

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Crimson Devil*

Best of luck as always, Czechs!

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Swipes

vCash: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
With all respect I disagree, when youīre in a situation like Slovakia in 2009 or Switzerland 2010, where all you have to do is beat an average opponent like Finland was in 2009 or Slovakia last year and who have only slim chances of stealing any points from the strongest teams in the group, then yeah all you need is win that one game (plus that one game with the weakest team of course). However here we are talking about facing three absolute top class teams- when was the last time that Canada or Sweden ended up without a medal yet alone didnīt make it to the top 6 at this tournament? And Russia might have had a weaker year last year, but that will only make them come back hungrier. So in order to make it through in a group with the team with the by far greatest depth at this level and two teams filled with players playing in the top two European menīs league, you need by far more than just to win one game. You need a miracle- after all itīs impssoible to predict that any of those teams that would potentially lose against the Czechs wouldnīt get any points from the other two top seeded teams. Of course, itīs possible for the Czechs to make it to the quarterfinals, but asides that win they would need a number of other circumstances to work out for them. But we will see.
Have to agree with this. Given the current losses in players (Jaskin, Polasek, Mrazek and potentially Musil) realistically we'll be able to beat Norway and possibly Russia, but no-one else I reckon. I thought we had a good team last year, and then we messed up against the Finns, so I have my doubts that we'll make it through to the quarterfinals-it'll be the relegation round I suspect. Having said that, I'm still supporting us and hoping we can beat more than just Norway. Češi do toho!

Swipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Hale The Villain

Does Culek have a chance to make the team? I thought the Czech coaches aren't too fond of picking players who play in North America?

Adam Polasek was left of the last WJC team for the same reason I believe.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:02 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Does Culek have a chance to make the team? I thought the Czech coaches aren't too fond of picking players who play in North America?

That is just a rumour. Polasek situation is different.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:07 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post

Culek brings size down the middle that the Czech's need. He also plays a very good two-way game which will be big for them too. I don't think he'll be relied on to score goals, but to shutdown the opposing teams top lines.

I think he'll make the team.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:20 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Culek brings size down the middle that the Czech's need. He also plays a very good two-way game which will be big for them too. I don't think he'll be relied on to score goals, but to shutdown the opposing teams top lines.

I think he'll make the team.
I like the idea. But question is how realistic is that plan will actually work

Old
12-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Go Wings

Looking forward to seeing Nestrasil again. But pretty upset about Mrazek being left of the team because of his stupid former team Vitkovice. You want 200k because he left your pathetic team cause he wanted to play in NA and make it to the NHL someday well **** you.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:16 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Looking forward to seeing Nestrasil again. But pretty upset about Mrazek being left of the team because of his stupid former team Vitkovice. You want 200k because he left your pathetic team cause he wanted to play in NA and make it to the NHL someday well **** you.
Well he wouldnīt even play hockey if that club didnīt let him to do that, so itīs quite understandable they want something when good prospect leaves to NA. I donīt like the fact he cannot play though.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Slippy

I am looking forward to seeing how Frk will do at this tournament. Has been playing well for the Halifax Mooseheads and was just recently named top rookie at the halfway point of the QMJHL.

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:52 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
So what's the story with the Czech club teams not releasing former players for this tournament. I heard that in some of the cases they wanted 200,000 dollars for the players releases, which obviously they won't be getting.

Not only does it suck for those players who won't be able to represent their country, but it also sucks for the country as a whole because the team will suffer.

What is the club team's perspective on this whole situation? Why are they allowed to hold a gun to the IIHF's head in the first place?

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:33 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I like the idea. But question is how realistic is that plan will actually work
It's hard to say, honestly. He does play a good two-way game and I think he can be used to shut down the top lines of Canada, Sweden and Russia. He plays against top competition on a regular basis, so I don't think the change would be too drastic.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:30 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
So what's the story with the Czech club teams not releasing former players for this tournament. I heard that in some of the cases they wanted 200,000 dollars for the players releases, which obviously they won't be getting.

Not only does it suck for those players who won't be able to represent their country, but it also sucks for the country as a whole because the team will suffer.

What is the club team's perspective on this whole situation? Why are they allowed to hold a gun to the IIHF's head in the first place?
Here I copy post which I posted to Red Wings prospect tracker about a week ago:

Quote:
That info of Ottawa citizen is not exactly accurate. Problem of Mrazek (and the other guy Polasek) is that his contract with Vitkovice expired and then he left to NA. They wanted to sign him again and then let him go... in such case, they would receive the money only at the moment, when he makes it to the NHL (if he does). He didnīt sign it for some reason (I donīt know why, does anybody?) and unfortunately they have right to ban him from the tournament . Problem is that agreement beetween NHL and Europe about coming of the young players overseas expired few years ago and wasnīt signed again.

Old
12-16-2010, 01:42 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Thanks.

And that still sounds ridiculous. Unfortunate for the kids and their countries. But hey, that's the price they paid for coming to North America to play, and I'm sure they knew about it before they made up their minds to play here.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:55 AM
RayO44

New guy in town

Does anyone know anything about this Orsava kid?

RayO44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:53 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayO44 View Post
Does anyone know anything about this Orsava kid?
Orsava? I think he will make the team. He played all games with U20 during the season, which probably means the coaches count on him. But everything depends on the camp of course. He got some experience in czech Extraleague this season, so he should be ok. But I donīt think heīs good enough to impress NHL scouts. But of course I wish him the opposite :-)

Old
12-16-2010, 02:30 PM
RayO44

Orsava

I hope he makes the team. I happen to have tickets to the Canada vs Czech game in Buffalo. Jakub will be one of a very few Orsava's in North America.

RayO44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Sens Mile

Any day expected for when final cuts are made?

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:26 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
Any day expected for when final cuts are made?
23rd of December

Old
12-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
23rd of December
Oh cool thanks bud

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:51 AM
zorz

They finally posted czech entry list on IIHF website (http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/236/IHM2360CZE_32E_1_0.pdf) I noticed there is 1 more player listed there (Marosz), so I added him here too. But I donīt know if he really travelled to the camp with the rest of the team.

Old
12-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Prussian_Blue

Zorz, what's your take on Mazanec in goal? Does he have what it takes to make the Czechs competitive in this tournament?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 10:11 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Zorz, what's your take on Mazanec in goal? Does he have what it takes to make the Czechs competitive in this tournament?
I think much will depend on defence... if D hepls him a bit, then he will be ok. But if they donīt care enough in front of the net, then he wonīt do it all alone. But he was solid for most of the season.

Old
12-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Slippy

Quote:

Quote:
That info of Ottawa citizen is not exactly accurate. Problem of Mrazek (and the other guy Polasek) is that his contract with Vitkovice expired and then he left to NA. They wanted to sign him again and then let him go... in such case, they would receive the money only at the moment, when he makes it to the NHL (if he does). He didnīt sign it for some reason (I donīt know why, does anybody?) and unfortunately they have right to ban him from the tournament . Problem is that agreement beetween NHL and Europe about coming of the young players overseas expired few years ago and wasnīt signed again.
From what I have read, the payment is due upon him turning pro, so that could include the AHL as well, it is the player that pays it back. This comes from Mrazek's agent as he pointed out that the repayment would be more than what he would be making on a likely entry level contract, if he doesn't go directly to the NHL.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...403/story.html

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:42 PM
CaptainAmerica
In Trotz We Trust

Any updates on David Musil?

CaptainAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote