HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Improving Too Quickly?

Old
12-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbaum View Post
I don't see "lots of" near the category of the Top 3. More a few other.
Im not saying their great but there is a good selection.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan14 View Post
Im not saying their great but there is a good selection.
Yes, and I say there are not lots of it.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbaum View Post
Yes, and I say there are not lots of it.
Im saying the people around strome and below

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
It's a 3-game win streak! And we didn't look dominating either. Still lots of progress to be made.

Besides, beating the one of the worst teams in the league 5-0 is nothing to be brag about. Leafs D and offense are horrid. Bunch of AHLers in their top-6 and overrated slow D-men. A coaching change won't do anything for that team.

For us - improving the PK and outshooting the opponents should be our primary goal. The wins will come next season...
Its not about the streak or who they beat but more how and the little things that happened during the streak that show signs of improvement.

I'm talking about in each game a different line helped us win. In Ottawa It was the Cogs Brule line. In Montreal it Was Hemsky and Gagner. In Toronto it was Hall Eberle.
This shows offensive depth that elite team should have.

Also 2 of the games the PK was competent which a big leap over the brutality it has shown over the past month or so.

Also Tom Gilbert is playing his best hockey right now. Which is great to see.

Also for a team that gets ripped on for bad Goaltending we had 3 wins by 3 different guys. Thats also shows depth.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilfan09

Are you serious? You want to watch the team lose? If tahts your theory then EVERY team should just ice their worst lineup so they can lose and move up in the draft picks.......ridiculous.....who really wants to watch their team lose? I CERTAINLY DONT

oilfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:13 PM
oilers92

we played the leafs that was almost a given, montreal was a nice win, and ottowa has little offense but a good win...wining is nice, very nice, should they trade som of the vets for worse vets and picks to see how the kids hold up?

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:15 PM
plikestechno

Ugh. All this loser talk. Can't we just trade for D with organizations that don't give their guys enough time to develop? Catch a guy on the way up with some good scouting?

The only good high D pick in the last few years straight off the hop has been Doughty. And Larsson ain't no Doughty. Other guys like Myers weren't the first D guys picked in their year. Hitting home runs with D is way harder.

My biggest concern as a fan with these runs is that the young guys (not just the rooks) get complacent and then we lose a bunch again. Most of you here would be happy with another crappy ten game stretch but not me. Turn the corner, boys!

I like how everyone thinks here that we're one guy away from a historical dynasty. Pittsburgh never got any stud D through the draft why do we need to. The top 3 in this upcoming draft are good players but I wouldn't put either of them past Hall or Seguin or Tavares or Stamkos.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Ugh. All this loser talk. Can't we just trade for D with organizations that don't give their guys enough time to develop? Catch a guy on the way up with some good scouting?

The only good high D pick in the last few years straight off the hop has been Doughty. And Larsson ain't no Doughty. Other guys like Myers weren't the first D guys picked in their year. Hitting home runs with D is way harder.

My biggest concern as a fan with these runs is that the young guys (not just the rooks) get complacent and then we lose a bunch again. Most of you here would be happy with another crappy ten game stretch but not me. Turn the corner, boys!

I like how everyone thinks here that we're one guy away from a historical dynasty. Pittsburgh never got any stud D through the draft why do we need to. The top 3 in this upcoming draft are good players but I wouldn't put either of them past Hall or Seguin or Tavares or Stamkos.
And with the current group of players and prospects we can build something?
The fear that we do damage to the young guys if we keep losing is overdramatic imo. The will be fine in a few years, no matter if we suck as a team this year or not.
The legend of "There were no great Defensemen in the first round the last years expect of Doughty" is amazing.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

If by some miracle the Oil made the playoffs this year, i would be a happy man. I've already predicted 20-25th place though, and i'm sticking with it.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:44 PM
oiler-dude

Damned if you do, damned if you don't on HF Oil.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Perfect_Drug

Well, Khabby will be injurred again or in jail (Although Dubnyk has been a suitable Goalie).

Gerber will likely play a few more NHL games.

Omark will be called up eventually.

Hall and Eberle will be 1-2 for the Calder.

ummmm..... oh yeah. We're still a lock for the Lottery. The Devils are not a lottery team, and the Flames will be around 11th when all is said and done.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Paralyzer008

I'm tired of the "lets lose" theory
If we get a high draft pick, great.
If we make the playoffs, great.
If we finish in between but still get a high draft pick, great

As long as pro sports last, you always try your best to win, and it is no different in this case. The people that say only a high draft choice will win you a franchise are wrong.
Gagner-6th overall
Paajarvi-10th overall
Eberle-22nd overall

I am loving the three game win streak and I hope it continues: It helps the kids, doesn't it?

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:52 PM
VA Oil

vCash: 172
What?? I've read these forums for a while now and am kind of confused with what some of you are suggesting. Battling through some of the tough loses a few weeks ago everyone was screaming that all they wanted to see was some effort being put forth. Now the Oil are winning battles, flying across the ice, having fun, and putting forth effort and some of you are upset by this??? For me, as a fan, knowing that the players are "doing work" night in and night out and being rewarded with wins is awesome!

Why be the laughing stock? Even if this recent road trip was a fluke, does it not make you feel better that the city of Toronto is buzzing around Hall and Ebs. Montreal will definitely remember that game when we play them again later in the season. Belle Center (Centre?) was rocking in that game. I say, put in an honest night of work every game and see what happens. Playoffs? Bottom 10? Bottom 5? Or somewhere in between? I've watched every Oiler game this season on Center Ice and as long as the team competes game in and game out, I don't care what happens.

VA Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:00 PM
clayton magnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Lets add fear of success to the list of mental problems spawned by this board.
Bingo.

Also from reading this board, the 2011 draft has less top end talent than 2010 but has more depth. That is good for an Oiler club that can enjoy some success but will ultimately end up losing more games than they win.

Apparently Landeskog has become a favorite of many now despite hearing nothing but RNH, that french guy, and Larsson being the all but certain top 3 picks.

I also hear about some Musil guy and others that are surpassing the top 3.

Therefore it seems like this draft is a crapshoot and we must simply rely on Stu to come through like he did with Ebs.

ENJOY SOME WINS and a positive team atmosphere while it lasts.

clayton magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:02 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
A) Pittsburgh has Crosby. As Ryan Whitney will attest, there is no Crosby in our room.
B) Pittsburgh drafted Ryan Whitney, Alex Goligoski, Kris Letang, Brooks Oprik, etc.
C) Pittsburgh is not a dynasty.

Even with Crosby there is no dynasty. We don't have Crosby. We have to beat Crosby each year if we want a dynasty.

I know its been a long time since we've been competitive, but we've waited this long. If we have the patience to let the rest of this year play out as a development situation (allowing the young D we do have, and Omark to develop on the farm), and following some of the other suggestions I mentioned.. We may actually be on our way to a REAL dynasty. Even Chicago is struggling. Just having a couple of big guys in your line up doesn't do it. We need important roles filled by stars, namely a major center and at least one major defense-man.

Yes, both Chicago and Pittsburgh filled out a lot of their rosters with quality young players that they developed outside of top draft picks. Yes, we have a number of promising players on the way outside of the "blue chip" category as well. You need those players coming in and infusing new blood and cheap contracts to be a contender in this league. But you need home grown stars who are loyal to the team in each position as well. We don't know if one of our current prospects will be a Letang or a Keith. We can set ourselves up a lot better for continued future success if we fill at least ONE of our major remaining holes with a star from this draft.

We have waited a long time, but we need the patience to hold out for one last major piece of the puzzle. Then we can let the natural path take its course. If theres one thing that Tambellini does have its patience. Maybe it will work in our favor for once. You can only fill one or two holes with continuous UFA signings year after year. Pittsburgh does it with wingers. We won't have that problem. But centers and D-men can be even MORE expensive than wingers. We can't be without a mainstay for at least one of those positions.

We should also seriously consider trading Penner or Hemsky. I love both of these players, I think they each bring a unique style and skillset to the game and are very useful. I also think that they are of the right age to fit in as the veterans for our rebuild. HOWEVER, in terms of asset management... They can still fetch first round picks. Soon, as they are relegated to less and less ice time (already a problem for Penner), their value will drop with their numbers. I'm not saying that we should definitely trade either or both, but its something that should be seriously considered.

Last edited by alphahelix: 12-03-2010 at 05:11 PM.
alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:03 PM
JustinCider

It's still too early to tell, and it's not like they're dominating teams, they are still being outshot almost every game, they are horrible on the dot, and their PK stinks. But if somehow they finish 9th in the west, I will be very disappointed. I want the playoffs or 14th/15th in the west.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Nols

While picking lottery players (top 5) is fun and those players tend to make a bigger impact, I'm not convinced that :

a) The Oilers are worst than NJ (will keep their pick this year), Tor, NYI or even Calgary for that matter.

b) That we cant find another gem in the middle or late first round ( PRV 10th, Eberle 25th?)

c) We can't develop Pitlick or Hamilton into capable Top 6 NHLers and Surround them with Omark, Hall, Eberle and PRV. Add Marincin and Petry to that list on D.

DO:
- Let Stu Mac do his thing and keep up the solid drafting
- Keep spending the money in the AHL. This is the best the Oilers development system has looked in years.
- Keep aquiring picks and adding to the list of good prospects in the system.

Don't:
- Hold back the team from succeeding
- Allow anyone to think it's OK to be mediocre or bad
- Create a losing environment

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:36 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan09 View Post
Are you serious? You want to watch the team lose? If tahts your theory then EVERY team should just ice their worst lineup so they can lose and move up in the draft picks.......ridiculous.....who really wants to watch their team lose? I CERTAINLY DONT
its comments like this that i simply cannot understand

we can all agree that there is 0 chance of us making the playoffs this year, correct?

we can all agree that drafting in the 1-3 slots gives us an exceptionally higher chance of drafting an impact player than the 10-12 slots do, correct?

finishing 16th-23rd doesn't do this team a lick of good... finishing 20th vs 30th is the difference between drafting another alex plante or (at best) another MPS, vs drafting another taylor hall... ask yourself which player would help us win a cup more... the answer is exceedingly obvious

i've noticed a few posters saying "well we got eberle with the 22nd pick, we can just draft another one like him"... this is simply ridiculous, we got very, very lucky with the eberle pick, and expecting to get that caliber of player in the middle of the round again is crazy-talk.... yes, you *can* get good players in the middle of the 1st round, but you're much more likely to get great players in the top-3, how anybody could ever argue different is beyond me

Last edited by jadeddog: 12-03-2010 at 05:41 PM.
jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Nols

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
its comments like this that i simply cannot understand

we can all agree that there is 0 chance of us making the playoffs this year, correct?

we can all agree that drafting in the 1-3 slots gives us an exceptionally higher chance of drafting an impact player than the 10-12 slots do, correct?

finishing 16th-23rd doesn't do this team a lick of good... finishing 20th vs 30th is the difference between drafting another alex plante or (at best) another MPS, vs drafting another taylor hall... ask yourself which player would help us win a cup more... the answer is exceedingly obvious
Well, being the optimist that I am (Sorry lottery folk!), I'd like to point out that the Oil are only 6pts out of 8th.. So I wouldn't say 0 chance. Slim, but not 0... If they can somehow keep up this pace/keep improving.

As for the rest of your post, adding another PRV or Eberle level of player would be fantastic. Sure, it would be nice to get another Hall, but PRV and Ebs are dandy and have pretty high ceilings.

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Albie

Having a chance at Couturier should have us set.

That 6'4 frame, skillset and Staal-like comparisons (Eric + Jordan) makes any team drool. Defensemen can be be obtained via trade or free agency but franchise centers...you have to draft your own. This is the year to get one.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Dabomb

I'm loving how the kids are playing now.. but count me in the crowd hoping the Oilers have another losing season and a lottery pick. Then after this year, i'm all for cheering for the playoffs.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:20 PM
clayton magnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I'm loving how the kids are playing now.. but count me in the crowd hoping the Oilers have another losing season and a lottery pick. Then after this year, i'm all for cheering for the playoffs.
yeah but think about how awesome we would be if we had a lottery pick in 2012!

clayton magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:39 PM
nightfighter

As long as we don't end up like the Islanders I'll be happy. Look at what happened to them...tanked and got Tavares. Things looked up and they finished higher in the standings, ended up with El Nino. Now they suck again. Let's just hope the oilers don't repeat their mistakes.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:43 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
As long as we don't end up like the Islanders I'll be happy. Look at what happened to them...tanked and got Tavares. Things looked up and they finished higher in the standings, ended up with El Nino. Now they suck again. Let's just hope the oilers don't repeat their mistakes.
Well to be honest, they have major injury problems. Also they have an owner that is being cheap right now... just a lot of bad luck

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:44 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nols View Post
Well, being the optimist that I am (Sorry lottery folk!), I'd like to point out that the Oil are only 6pts out of 8th.. So I wouldn't say 0 chance. Slim, but not 0... If they can somehow keep up this pace/keep improving.

As for the rest of your post, adding another PRV or Eberle level of player would be fantastic. Sure, it would be nice to get another Hall, but PRV and Ebs are dandy and have pretty high ceilings.
yeah, adding another eberle would be great.... except that the chances of getting a player of that caliber in the 10th-15th spot is exceptionally small... you are much more likely to get an impact player in the 1-5 slots.... expecting to find another paajarvi, let alone another eberle, outside the top-5 isn't very likely

our best chance to get another impact player is to draft in the lottery this season, how anybody can argue anything else i simply *cannot* understand

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote