HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Days off for Habs players & Price's workload (Montreal Gazette)

Old
01-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Asamu

vCash: 500
Days off for Habs players & Price's workload (Montreal Gazette)

Interesting article from the Gazette by Pat Hickey: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...085/story.html

It's funny how we learn about their personal lives with 1 article. Enjoy the reading and comment if you feel so.

Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:02 AM
OneSharpMarble

Who knew they all post on hf boards on their time off?

But seriously price is the last person who should feel like he isn't playing up to par. The defense is killing the team.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Gally11

meh I'm not worried about Price... Maybe a date with the Pens is what he needs, he tends to bring his A game against Crosby and crew

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I can understand where he is coming from.

His D is letting him down, yes. However, they were letting him down at the start of the season too. The team had a knack for giving up odd-man rushes and breakaways all the time, but the difference from right now and the start of the season, is that Price was making those big stops. Think back to the Islanders game, when Tavares broke in alone, got two good chances, but was stopped both times by Price. A couple of plays later, and the Habs would score and take the lead.

Now, whether he's fatigued or not, he isn't able to get to those shots at the moment. To be fair, it's not like the offense is helping all that much. Yes, they were able to come back against Atlanta to secure at least one point, but how many games was it that the offense looked invisible?

I think the couple of days the Habs had off will help a lot tonight, especially since the Pens played last night and hopefully are all "scored out" from last night's 8-1 beat down on the Rags.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:43 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I can understand where he is coming from.

His D is letting him down, yes. However, they were letting him down at the start of the season too. The team had a knack for giving up odd-man rushes and breakaways all the time, but the difference from right now and the start of the season, is that Price was making those big stops. Think back to the Islanders game, when Tavares broke in alone, got two good chances, but was stopped both times by Price. A couple of plays later, and the Habs would score and take the lead.

Now, whether he's fatigued or not, he isn't able to get to those shots at the moment. To be fair, it's not like the offense is helping all that much. Yes, they were able to come back against Atlanta to secure at least one point, but how many games was it that the offense looked invisible?

I think the couple of days the Habs had off will help a lot tonight, especially since the Pens played last night and hopefully are all "scored out" from last night's 8-1 beat down on the Rags.
Lightning

I think Price will play fine tonight. The defense is struggling, though Wisniewski has fit right into our system and seems to be playing fine. Gill looks like he is a bit tired. Hamrlik looks like he is finding an offensive flare coming from him. Weber is picking up experience and will get better. Subban has looked like he has settled down and started to look back to his old self and had a very strong game against Atlanta.

My only question mark is how long do we go on with Spacek. The guy is getting worse every game. Against Atlanta, Bryan Little tried to trick him by asking for the puck behind the net when we were in the defensive zone, no look behind the back pass almost led to a goal. I would expect a mistake like that from a rookie but not a vet of his experience and time in the game. I don't know if he needs to be sat for a game or 2, but he has to get something clicking, his mistakes are piling up. Alot almost cost goals, passes from behind the net in the slot, like common, those are rookie mistakes there.

I think we just try it and see what happens. But lets put a D-core of:

Hamrlik Wisniewski
Picard Subban
Gill Weber

I think it would be more efficient more mobile. There might be a few mistakes, but there is enough offense there and could possibly work, say against a team like Pittsburgh. I don't even want to think of possible mistakes tonight if Spacek were to make some. Everyone mistakes, but its like the other players are playing Spacek out of his position but is in every night.

It sucks for Spacek also, its not like he is trying to cost us games, you can see the frustration when he gets back to the bench shaking his head and swearing. ex. Bryan Little example, he was shown on the bench with his head down and then put it back up shaking his head and then was saying ******* like 2 times. He cares, he just has to get it going on the ice. He just might be worn out or something also.

Last edited by BigHabs: 01-06-2011 at 08:54 AM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamu View Post
Interesting article from the Gazette by Pat Hickey: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...085/story.html

It's funny how we learn about their personal lives with 1 article. Enjoy the reading and comment if you feel so.
The days off should help guys like Price, Hamrlik, Gorges, Plekanec taht had a heavy load the first half.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
smon

It's a tough situation with Price's workload, obviously I don't think they can play him 70-odd games and expect playoff consistency as well.

However, if they start resting him now there's the danger of the slump continuing. And later on, in the stretch run, it looks like the Habs will need every point they can get to even make the playoffs. So Auld better get even more comfortable on the bench.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Schwang

A lot is being said that his defence is letting him down, however, a lot of the games I've seen in the past month, WE have been outshooting the opponent and Price hasn't had much to deal with. Now, I'm not talking about quality chances or defensive mistakes, I'm talking about workload and Price's ability to keep his head in the game. I think he's just one of those goalies that needs a lot of action to stay sharp. I've noticed his play has been different since earlier in the season and he's been letting in weak goals again. I guarantee his save percentage is horrible for December as opposed to November.

If anything, I think he needs MORE work to be good. under 25 shots just doesn't seem to do it for him. 35 or 40, and he's been amazing!

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote