HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the Habs need

Old
12-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

vCash: 500
What the Habs need

What do you think the Habs need?

Markov is gone , now we see that our D can't be effective without him long term.

for me it's

-trade for a d-men now!
-put AK in the line up
-trade for a 3rd line players who play hard and score goals at the deadline.

Calgary is good trade partner right now, Gauthier will have to move because thing can get ugly very soon

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:21 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

We need a top 4 defenseman and for Martin to keep our lines together for 5-10 games instead of switching them every period.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Gustave

What they need? Let the players play. That's it.

They are a nervous wreck out there, everything out of sync. Afraid to commit mistakes, afraid to hold on to the freaking puck. D-man backing up like there's 100 meters more behind their blue line, Price feeling less and less confident in the group in front of him. It's all mental, we have the ingredients.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:25 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Players I would consider

- Matt Moulson
- James Wisniewski
- Tomas Kaberle
- Robyn Regehr
- Rene Bourque (probably not available)
- Ryane Clowe
- Jarome Iginla
- Kevin Bieksa (to a lesser extent)

All players that are/will be available by the deadline that I think fit perfectly with what the Habs need.

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
What they need? Let the players play. That's it.

They are a nervous wreck out there, everything out of sync. Afraid to commit mistakes, afraid to hold on to the freaking puck. D-man backing up like there's 100 meters more behind their blue line, Price feeling less and less confident in the group in front of him. It's all mental, we have the ingredients.
I don't agree with you, they have a huge hole on defense. They all play too much and out of their role. That's why they are affraid to make mistake and that's why they make mistake. Markov can eat big minutes and he's the only on the team who can do it.

Old
12-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
I don't agree with you, they have a huge hole on defense. They all play too much and out of their role. That's why they are affraid to make mistake and that's why they make mistake. Markov can eat big minutes and he's the only on the team who can do it.
I'll contend that our start to the season is proof enough that if the players play relaxed, they get the job done. Every guy filled a role and execution was top notch. Now, they are just nervous.

Playing too much? I think you're right about that. Maybe they are tired. Which, and I'm sure you'll agree, is time to get Weber in the line up and sit one of Picard, Spacek or even Gill for a game. Let's start some rotation. Maybe that would help?

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Is there any way to work a trade for Zach Parise when he comes back? I don't think the Devils can sign him this year, so maybe they would be willing to get rid of him while they can still get something for him.

I remember there being talks of us trading Markov for him, but I guess that's done with.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
I'll contend that our start to the season is proof enough that if the players play relaxed, they get the job done. Every guy filled a role and execution was top notch. Now, they are just nervous.

Playing too much? I think you're right about that. Maybe they are tired. Which, and I'm sure you'll agree, is time to get Weber in the line up and sit one of Picard, Spacek or even Gill for a game. Let's start some rotation. Maybe that would help?
maybe Weber can help short term but he won't change the fact that the others play too much. Sure our D step up when Markov got hurt but the problem is that they can't play at that level all season long. It's not just that they are tired ,they are out of their role.

it's like if on offense you have a second line who play first line minute, a 3rd line who play 2nd line minute, a 4th line who play 3rd line minute and a AHL line who play 4th line in the NHL. Sure it can work for 10 or 20 games but in a 82 games season they won't be able to keep the pace for a season long.

Markov eat so much minutes in a game , we don't have any guys in this lineup who can replace him

Last edited by Quarantesix: 12-22-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old
12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Aurel Joliat

My choice is Bieksa !

I would like a player like Ryane Clowe but I'm sure he is not on the trade block

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Is there any way to work a trade for Zach Parise when he comes back? I don't think the Devils can sign him this year, so maybe they would be willing to get rid of him while they can still get something for him.

I remember there being talks of us trading Markov for him, but I guess that's done with.
I like him, but we need to get bigger up front.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:12 PM
JayBee*

Quote:

We played some garbage teams at the beginning of this year.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Netro

Remember when things were great earlier this season - we all thought "Stanley Cup". Now, the Habs lose 5 of 6 and panic sets in. A slump was bound to happen, it is a long season. It does give an opportunity for a check-up on the team - we now have seen the lows and highs.

I look at the group of forwards - and to me, the lines today would project out as:

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Darche
Moen-Halpern-Lapierre

Extra: Pyatt

In truth, this group has the potential to be sufficient in today's NHL. I stress..potential. We know what the Pleks line is capable of and we are learning now about how Pacioretty completes the G's. I think Pouliot and Eller make a nice match and Darche has been, to me, surprisingly effective in his role. And the 4th line looks quite nice as well

Let's look at the defence and goalies
Hamrlik-Spacek
Gill-Gorges
Picard-Subban

Extra: Weber

Price
Auld

It is clear that we are now seeing the effects of a Markovless defence core. Picard has done the job, no question, but with age a factor with Hamrlik-Spacek-Gill and Subban going through growing pains this season - this is the true issue with the team. Plus, improving the defence will improve the offensive play of the forwards. We now know that the goaltending is solid, with the exception that Auld needs to spell Price a bit more.

So - now that I have gotten over the stuff that isn't actually rocket science. Who do the Habs target. My choices would all be UFA's to be, to not commit salary to next year. Kaberle seems to be a great choice but Burke is asking to much and I am skeptical that he would trade him within the division. I think next up would be Bieksa, Salo or even Pitkanen. All depends on the assets required.

Another thing to consider is with the extra money to spend, the habs can look for help on the blueline and up front.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I like him, but we need to get bigger up front.
For the Last time . We don't need to get BIGGER up front . Who do you want us to go get that wont cost and arm and a leg . Please tell me that you aren't serious when you would pass up the opportunity to go for him just to get BIGGER up front . No need to go over it a billion times . We are small and we are going to stay small. If we can score it ain't the end of the world.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:33 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

I think the Habs should package something aroung AK + Pouliot for Wolski and Taylor Pyatt.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:34 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
My choice is Bieksa !

I would like a player like Ryane Clowe but I'm sure he is not on the trade block
why would vancouver trades bieksa?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:34 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

when you have to play a guy like Picard over or close to 20 minutes a game (yesterday), me think the need(s) is obvious...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:51 PM
samsquanch9*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
Players I would consider

- Matt Moulson
- James Wisniewski
- Tomas Kaberle
- Robyn Regehr
- Ryane Clowe
- Jarome Iginla

All players that are/will be available by the deadline that I think fit perfectly with what the Habs need.
i would go for Moulson and Wisnewski

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Papa Bear

• Play the oubvious line pairings:
Cammer-Pleks-AK46
Patches-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Darche
Moen-Halpern-Lappier
  • Don't play your only two d-men that can skate together:
Hammer-Subban (this has to eventually become our top pairing)
Picard-Gorges
Gill-Spacek
  • DROP THE "We want to win 1-0, 2-1 mentality":
The Habs have not yet won a game when trailing after 1 period (they are also 0-for when trailing after 2). Now, no team is even .500 when trailing after 1 or 2 periods but the Habs record clearly shows that when they get down (i.e., don't score first) game over. THAT needs to change and it starts with a change (it does not have to be drastic) in mentality.
  • Have faith in your offensive players:
What was Georges doing on the pp last night when PK was in the box? Why not put on offensive player there? Particularly with Dallas pressuring the puck so much. I don't get it.
  • Let them play Jacques. There's good talent there. Maybe not enough to win the Stanley Cup just yet, but enough to win consistently.

Papa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
You can't really say we need to drop that mentality. That doesn't happen. You need to drop Martin for that to happen. It's just his philosophy, and not that I agree with it, but if I were him I wouldn't completely change my coaching style and philosophy at this point in my career either.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
What do you think the Habs need?

Markov is gone , now we see that our D can't be effective without him long term.

for me it's

-trade for a d-men now!
-put AK in the line up
-trade for a 3rd line players who play hard and score goals at the deadline.

Calgary is good trade partner right now, Gauthier will have to move because thing can get ugly very soon
We definitely need a top 4 d-man. I also agree on AK, dumb move to sit him.

We have a lot of 3rd liners that chip in offense, Halpern(14) Pouliot(17) Darche(16) Lapierre(12) are all on pace for over 10 goals with limited ice time.

If Pacioretty keeps playing up to the level of a top 6 player I wouldn't touch our forwards.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post

Why would the Devils not sign Parise? He's their franchise player.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:29 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
  • Play the oubvious line pairings:
Cammer-Pleks-AK46
Patches-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Darche
Moen-Halpern-Lappier
  • Don't play your only two d-men that can skate together:
Hammer-Subban (this has to eventually become our top pairing)
Picard-Gorges
Gill-Spacek
  • DROP THE "We want to win 1-0, 2-1 mentality":
The Habs have not yet won a game when trailing after 1 period (they are also 0-for when trailing after 2). Now, no team is even .500 when trailing after 1 or 2 periods but the Habs record clearly shows that when they get down (i.e., don't score first) game over. THAT needs to change and it starts with a change (it does not have to be drastic) in mentality.
  • Have faith in your offensive players:
What was Georges doing on the pp last night when PK was in the box? Why not put on offensive player there? Particularly with Dallas pressuring the puck so much. I don't get it.
  • Let them play Jacques. There's good talent there. Maybe not enough to win the Stanley Cup just yet, but enough to win consistently.
hen your best player is not even at a PPG and will probably end the season with less than 80 pts, far ahead of the others on his team... can you really expect more than 1-0 or 2-1 wins... seriously ?

like who, Gill ? Picard ?

there is ? really ? outside a very few teams, none can win on a regular basis by "letting the guys play"...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
Players I would consider

- Matt Moulson
- James Wisniewski
- Tomas Kaberle
- Robyn Regehr
- Ryane Clowe
- Jarome Iginla

Wisinewski has been brutal the last few months after a good start, he's probably getting overplayed, but he's definitely overrated.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Not The One

It's funny reading some of the comments here that giving more ice time to a slumping 2nd liner, benching your 6th defenseman, or trading for a 3rd line player is goin to help the Habs come out of their slump.

What they do need is better play from their supposed top players. That means Pleks, Cammy, Gomez, Price, Georges, Hammer, etc. It's as simple (and complicated) as that.

I don't envy JM his job. That is an area where having a motivator like Boucher could possibly make a real difference.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
It's funny reading some of the comments here that giving more ice time to a slumping 2nd liner, benching your 6th defenseman, or trading for a 3rd line player is goin to help the Habs come out of their slump.

What they do need is better play from their supposed top players. That means Pleks, Cammy, Gomez, Price, Georges, Hammer, etc. It's as simple (and complicated) as that.

I don't envy JM his job. That is an area where having a motivator like Boucher could possibly make a real difference.
Gomez has been possibly our best player during the recent 6 game slump.

Why can't he motivate TB into playing good defense? I think having a rookie coach in Montreal is a bad idea and it has backfired multiple times in the past.