HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov, SEASON DONE!

Old
12-04-2010, 08:51 AM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I hope Gauthier doesn't rush into making a move, right now we are playing well and picking up points. Wait closer to the deadline and see which teams fall out of contention and see who is available for cheap
I thought the consensus was that teams wait untill the deadline to get more value from their players ?

If a team wants to unload some salary and the habs have now cap space, I think it's better to do it sooner than later (plus it gives us an asset right away).

I agree that I don't want PG to rush things, but I'm sure he already contacted a lot of teams, he knows what are the needs of his team and the value of players on the market... In that regard, I hope for a move sooner than later.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Screw it, I say take the risk and sign him long term discounted. If we can sign him at 5mil for 4-5 yrs and he doesn't have another season ending injury, big steal.
This was my precise thinking as well. Not to mention, the whole rumors surrounding Kaberle and Montreal. We could theoretically sign both Markov and Kaberle for a eleven million. That is two 50+ point defensemen, which would be beyond phenomenal.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Oh well... At least he gets to spend some time with his family spending his hard-earned money for a little while... I hope the pain isn't too hard on you and you get better soon dear Dr Drei!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Cue the overreaction and Kaberle rumours.

There are nothing but four letter expletives that can express a reaction to this news, if only because we're witnessing the untimely decline of a great Montreal hockey player.

It has to be business as usual (multi-year) approach to re-signing Markov, except it will be his medical charts and rehab progress that sets the salary amount and not his play on the ice.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Yeah don't sign Markov 'cause he's way too fragile...just like let's not sign Bouillon 'cause he's way too fragile....or let just trade Chelios 'cause his knees will not make him play that much longer....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 02:52 PM
FF de Mars

Sign Markov long term. It's a big mistake not to.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Markov must be re-signed...details to follow...the Habs will want to keep him for sure, and he wants to stay...everyone relax...
It all depends on doctor's opinion

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:02 PM
bjac

Its a shame that this happened to Markov. I'd would be worried about his future, but since he is such a cerebral player, I feel that he will be able to get back on track. If his greatest asset was speed or physicality instead of vision, then it would be another story.

This injury does create an interesting situation for PG. I think its a really big opportunity to retool the defense. I think PG should seek out a replacement for Markov as the #1 defenseman, and then re-sign Markov himself to a lesser role (and at a cheaper price). I think Markov will be able to continue being a elite defenseman when he returns, but I would feel uncomfortable relying on him as the Habs #1 defenseman. Its all alot easier said then done though...

Letting Markov walk would be a mistake in my opinion.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Its a shame that this happened to Markov. I'd would be worried about his future, but since he is such a cerebral player, I feel that he will be able to get back on track. If his greatest asset was speed or physicality instead of vision, then it would be another story.

This injury does create an interesting situation for PG. I think its a really big opportunity to retool the defense. I think PG should seek out a replacement for Markov as the #1 defenseman, and then re-sign Markov himself to a lesser role (and at a cheaper price). I think Markov will be able to continue being a elite defenseman when he returns, but I would feel uncomfortable relying on him as the Habs #1 defenseman. Its all alot easier said then done though...

Letting Markov walk would be a mistake in my opinion.
If adding another #1 d-man was taht easy we'd have 2-3 of them. Go call LA about Doughty, San Jose about Boyle or Chicago about Keith.

That tells me we need to keep Markov next year, make sure his recovery is going well, make him wear a F##$%ing knee brace, sign him to a 1 year extension at a reasonable price(under 5 mil) and hope he turns into a huge bragain. This being said, we should have a Picard or Weber as #7 d-man in case he has more issues.

As good as Kaberle is, he's not at Markov's level as a d-man, and he will cost the Habs more as a UFA(if he is available and not traded/extended before July 1st). On the open market he'd cost close to 6 mil on a 4-5 year deal.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 05:55 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I mean seriously, you have to question if someone understands hockey when they'd rather have Chris Campoli over Andrei Markov, in any health condition.

I understand that Markov's knee is a concern, but it's 2010...not 1985! There's NO REASON to think Markov, especially considering how serious he takes his profession, can't come back at 100% and even then, a Markov at 80% is 100x's the defensman that Chris Campoli is.

I can't even believe we're discussing this...Chris Campoli? The same guy who couldn't nail down a spot on the New York Islanders defense? The same guy who is part of one of the worst defensive squads in the NHL right now?

I'm shocked by the lack of loyalty shown by Habs fans towards Markov...actually, i'm not shocked, the fickleness has become quite common amongst Habs fans.

I'm not worried one bit that the Habs are going to re-sign Markov...anyone who thinks they won't, just don't know how the Montreal Canadiens organization operates.
who doesn`t want Markov ? I dont want a Markov with 4 major surgeries in 4 years

do you how Gaborik is looking in New York my friend x by 10 thats Markov

one year at 4 mil and prove yourself I am ok with but long term deal walk away

this is business ....we moved the loved Halak for a hockey business deal ....period

the same goes with Markov...his knee is shredded buddy ...

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 05:58 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereabouts Unknown View Post
Lol ridiculous how many people willing to just part ways with Markov...
ask the Bruins how much better they are without Thornton

people kncok thme for what they did ...but it created cap space to het Chara and Savard ...bottom line the Bruins made a business deal

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yeah don't sign Markov 'cause he's way too fragile...just like let's not sign Bouillon 'cause he's way too fragile....or let just trade Chelios 'cause his knees will not make him play that much longer....
you know that's not the real reason he was traded right ?

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:29 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If adding another #1 d-man was taht easy we'd have 2-3 of them. Go call LA about Doughty, San Jose about Boyle or Chicago about Keith.
That tells me we need to keep Markov next year, make sure his recovery is going well, make him wear a F##$%ing knee brace, sign him to a 1 year extension at a reasonable price(under 5 mil) and hope he turns into a huge bragain. This being said, we should have a Picard or Weber as #7 d-man in case he has more issues.

As good as Kaberle is, he's not at Markov's level as a d-man, and he will cost the Habs more as a UFA(if he is available and not traded/extended before July 1st). On the open market he'd cost close to 6 mil on a 4-5 year deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Its all alot easier said then done though...
Yes and I acknowledged that in my post. I was merely explaining what I thought the best case could be. Was it wrong to do that?

I agree that the Habs should keep Markov, but signing Markov to a 1 year extension is going to be very difficult. If he goes to FA I think that someone will offer him a multiple year deal and he might take it if Montreal is only offering 1 year. If they want to compete with other offers, I think that the Habs best bet is to offer 3+ years at a reasonable rate. I think Markov is happy in Montreal so hopefully that will result in a good deal for both sides.

Also I think Kaberle is getting a bad reputation as of late because the Leafs are struggling. Bias aside, Kaberle is a very comparible defenseman to Markov and would do fine playing on Montreals top unit. I'm not saying that Kaberle is going to end up in Montreal. Chances are that's just not going to happen. There is a good chance that he will sign in Toronto again. But if he ever did end up in free agency, and he could be signed for 24million over 4 years, then I think the Habs would be making a mistake letting that go. Hammer is off the books next summer, and Spacek the year after. Those are some big contracts.

Regardless, they should find a top 4 defenseman, ideally a top 2 (which the have the money for).

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
who doesn`t want Markov ? I dont want a Markov with 4 major surgeries in 4 years

do you how Gaborik is looking in New York my friend x by 10 thats Markov

one year at 4 mil and prove yourself I am ok with but long term deal walk away

this is business ....we moved the loved Halak for a hockey business deal ....period

the same goes with Markov...his knee is shredded buddy ...
Ummm bad example? Gaborik is doing quite well in New York...

42 goals, 86 points in 76 games last year.

Missed a few games this year, but playing now... PPG so far with 15 pts in 15 games...

One year for Markov at 5+ would be ideal for both parties in a perfect world (give him a do-over of his UFA year), but Markov's agent will likely get him to wait for a longer offer to secure some money in case of more injury troubles.

This team is much better with Marky than without, and there aren't really any reasonable UFA replacements this summer.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Belso

Calgary is now the worst team in the west behind Edmonton...

If they decided to shake something up I expect PG to call and ask about Olli Jokinen. Why you ask?

First off, he has been a big disappointment since his arraival there...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1056

Second, in his best two seasons in the NHL 91 and 89 points, his coach was Martin and Olli didn't even have much players to play with...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...002342007.html
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...002342006.html

And last, at $3M a season, the Habs could afford him and have their 6-3, 215lbs center... At 32, he's still not over the hill.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/teams/CGY?year=2011

If I'm calgary, I'll consider it for pretty much anything for the future.

I preffer Iginla by miles, but If anything, Calgary will trade Olli first...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
SherbrookeW

Seems odd that so many people are being philosophical or stoical or something or other about losing Markov. I mean, guys, this is a huge, huge loss; with him in the line-up , even for a few games, you could see the team's quality of play improve. Just watching him make that first pass of his was a pleasure -- and a relief. Without him...well, even though they're winning, sort of, the chances of their being a serious Cup contender just about vanish. It's heart-breaking -- and the saddest part is that the chances of his ever returning to hockey at a recognizable level of skill seem very, very remote. This is two years in a row, essentially, that he's missed -- and he's not a young player, and it's the same injury to the same knee. This is a terrible blow, and there's no sugar-coating it or suggesting that there's a silver lining somewhere . There's not.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post

If they decided to shake something up I expect PG to call and ask about Olli Jokinen. Why you ask?

Second, in his best two seasons in the NHL 91 and 89 points, his coach was Martin and Olli didn't even have much players to play with...

And last, at $3M a season, the Habs could afford him and have their 6-3, 215lbs center... At 32, he's still not over the hill.

Unless they are ready to take Gomez' contract, I can't see us going after Jokinen even if he was cheap. He's looked awful the last few years and right now we have 3 guys playing better than him plus Gomez who SHOULD be better.

The way Eller and Halpern have played it makes no sense to sit or move one of them out of the middle. I think we could use a winger to play top 6 or a minute eating d-man, but I wouldn't add a center at this point.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Habit11

Wasn't Markov scheduled for surgery today? Any news on how it went?

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Wasn't Markov scheduled for surgery today? Any news on how it went?
He tragically died on the operating table

no but really, i always found it strange they say " so and so underwent successful surgery today", you never hear "well, so and so's surgery today was a total failure, he has lost the ability to move his limbs"

i mean when are these surgery's NOT successes?

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:44 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

no but really, i always found it strange they say " so and so underwent successful surgery today", you never hear "well, so and so's surgery today was a total failure, he has lost the ability to move his limbs"

i read a story the other day about a dude who was having a surgery on his nether regions. He farted while they were using whatever tool it is they use for that type of surgery and it caused a spark. The spark then ignited the sterilizing agent they used to clean his man parts. He ended up with kentucky fried junk.

That's a failed surgery.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post

thank you doctor

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Ginu

Sign Markov. We have enough youth here and coming up in the next few years on cheap contracts to take the risk. Heck, if he's on LTIR again, he salary doesn't count against the cap anyways.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post

Instead of going for a center who the habs already have enough of, why not go for a top 6 winger we've been missing since last season.

A guy like Rene Bourque could definately fit the bill.
6'2, 215lbs 12-10-22 in 26gp and only 28 years old. He'd be perfect on the second line, but I'm not 100% convinced of Calgary willing to part with him. Calgary would probably want a prospect and picks.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiGGy View Post
Instead of going for a center who the habs already have enough of, why not go for a top 6 winger we've been missing since last season.

A guy like Rene Bourque could definately fit the bill.
6'2, 215lbs 12-10-22 in 26gp and only 28 years old. He'd be perfect on the second line, but I'm not 100% convinced of Calgary willing to part with him. Calgary would probably want a prospect and picks.
If Calgary plans to make the playoiffs he is not available.

If they decide to blow it up maybe he can be had but for a high price(Subban or Eller + 1st). He's still young, has a good contract and they have a lot of other players on the block before they move him.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Calgary plans to make the playoiffs he is not available.

If they decide to blow it up maybe he can be had but for a high price(Subban or Eller + 1st). He's still young, has a good contract and they have a lot of other players on the block before they move him.
I'm not too sure making the playoffs is still part of their plan right now. And as for Bourque, you're overating his value.

He got traded to the Flames for a conditional draft pick 2 years ago, and has slightly better stats than Kostitsyn. Do you really think Kostitsyn is worth a potential n.1 Defensemen?

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote