Old
12-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Aaron Gagnon recalled (3rd recall 1/19)

First reassign - December 15th
Quote:
December 3rd - The Dallas Stars announced today that the club has recalled center Aaron Gagnon from the Texas Stars, Dallas’ primary development affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL).

Gagnon, 24, has appeared in 20 games for Texas so far this season, scoring five goals and four assists for nine points with six penalty minutes. He was recalled by Dallas on Oct. 17 and appeared in one game at Tampa Bay the next evening before being assigned back to Texas.

Gagnon signed as a free agent with Dallas on February 2, 2007.
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=545338

Second reassign - December 30th

Quote:
December 27th - The Dallas Stars have recalled center Aaron Gagnon from the Texas Stars of the AHL. He's being called up as a precaution with some players under the weather and center Tom Wandell and defenseman Nicklas Grossman missing Sunday's game and Monday's practice due to illness.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars...aaron-gagnon-3

Third reassign - TBD

Quote:
January 19th - The Dallas Stars announced today that the club has recalled center Aaron Gagnon and left wing Francis Wathier from the Texas Stars, Dallas’ primary affiliate in the American Hockey League (AHL).

Gagnon, 24, has appeared in seven games for Dallas this season, recording two assists, including his first NHL point (Dec. 6 at Columbus). The 5-11, 186-pound center has spent the majority of this season with Texas, skating in 32 games and collecting 14 points (8g, 6a). Gagnon led the Texas Stars in scoring in 2009-10 with 58 points (27g, 31a) through 77 games. The Quesnel, British Columbia, native was signed by Dallas as a free agent February 2, 2007.
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=549916

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 01-19-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Since Gagnon did not play on Saturday, is he most likely going to get sent back down early this week? Or might he still get a shot to play this week?

Thanks

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Chad_

Allegedly he's likely to play on Monday.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Evgeny Oliker

was Gagnon sent back down or is he still with Dallas?

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Gagnon reassigned to the CP Stars.

Old
12-15-2010, 01:58 PM
txomisc

Would have liked to see Gagnon stay. He is better than Sutherby and Barch and probalby on par with petersen given the ice time.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I'd just as soon keep Gagnon and see if they can't flip Peterson at the deadline for a pick or prospect.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:05 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Gagnon's better than our entire bottom six other than Ott and Wandell.

Petersen should've never been re-signed and Gagnon should've been here since Day 1 of the season, but what are you going to do.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Gagnon's better than our entire bottom six other than Ott and Wandell.

Petersen should've never been re-signed and Gagnon should've been here since Day 1 of the season, but what are you going to do.
Burish is in the bottom 6. I think he's been pretty good for us. Good, if not great compliment to Ott.

Segal has been great too. Decent checker, pretty good positionally, decent shot.

I think Wandell fits in fine as the fourth line center and limited shifts with Benn. He's just a shifty guy that you want on the fourth line. .

But Gagnon is arguably equal to Petersen and Sutherby, and infinitely better than Barch.

I will say that Petersen's re-signing wasn't the best idea given that Gagnon is basically Petersen with a lower cap hit. But hey, Gagnon is an RFA and will get his QO at least next year. Unfortunately that means he'll be likely replacing Sutherby.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:30 PM
piqued

Burish is bad. People seem to give him a free ride because he's a quote machine. Almost nothing good ever happens when he has the puck on his stick. He gives a decent effort and knows where to be defensively but Gagnon does all that as well.

I'll maybe give you Segal, but he's mainly just gotten lucky with goalies giving up some ultra-soft goals on his hopeful flyers at the net.

I'm about done with Sutherby. I've defended him in the past and looked at him as an above-average 4th liner, but he's getting slower and just worse in general. We can do better.

Old
12-15-2010, 03:55 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Remember the 08 season when everyone went down with injures and Sutherby was awesome on the second line? Ya I barely do too.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Burish is bad. People seem to give him a free ride because he's a quote machine. Almost nothing good ever happens when he has the puck on his stick. He gives a decent effort and knows where to be defensively but Gagnon does all that as well.

I'll maybe give you Segal, but he's mainly just gotten lucky with goalies giving up some ultra-soft goals on his hopeful flyers at the net.

I'm about done with Sutherby. I've defended him in the past and looked at him as an above-average 4th liner, but he's getting slower and just worse in general. We can do better.
I'm not going to give Burish a free ride. You are right, he isn't exactly fantastic with the puck. Neither is Ott. Segal is okay with the puck. But Burish is a scrappy energy guy who infuses some grit (and skill) into the lineup. I'm quite happy with Burish, Ott, and Segal/Wandell playing on the "third" line.

I dunno, I'd rather have Sutherby than Barch, but Gagnon will probably be cheaper than Sutherby and Petersen. Maybe we'll even bring Gazdic up.

Old
12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

As a trio, Burish, Ott and Segal work. They give max effort, hit, forecheck and annoy the hell out of the other side's best players. As a 3rd line I like them.

I've been against the re-signing of Peterson from day one. Not because he's terrible but because with Gagnon he was redundant and Crawford has a tendency to overplay him at times. Although it won't happen Dallas would be much better served moving Peterson for a 4th or 5th rounder and giving that ice time to Gagnon down the stretch.

Sutherby has also fallen way off. Its unfortunate about his injuries but his game has taken a big step back. Thankfully he'll be gone next year. Too bad Barch can't go with him. I still don't understand that signing.

Old
12-15-2010, 06:33 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
But Burish is a scrappy energy guy who infuses some grit (and skill) into the lineup.
I don't really understand what these terms mean. This sounds like "hard to play against". I don't notice Burish laying big hits. I don't notice him hitting considerably often. He's 209th in the NHL in that category playing at a over-counting home venue, barely ahead of wait for it Miettinen. Most of the time he gets somewhat close to an opposition player and then peels off. His most noticeable skill seems to be getting kicked out of faceoffs. He wins 50% of the ones he does take, so that's OK I guess. Infuses skill into the lineup? He's scored a point every 111 minutes of ice time despite playing a significant stretch with Ribeiro...

Old
12-15-2010, 07:46 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
As a trio, Burish, Ott and Segal work. They give max effort, hit, forecheck and annoy the hell out of the other side's best players. As a 3rd line I like them.

I've been against the re-signing of Peterson from day one. Not because he's terrible but because with Gagnon he was redundant and Crawford has a tendency to overplay him at times. Although it won't happen Dallas would be much better served moving Peterson for a 4th or 5th rounder and giving that ice time to Gagnon down the stretch.

Sutherby has also fallen way off. Its unfortunate about his injuries but his game has taken a big step back. Thankfully he'll be gone next year. Too bad Barch can't go with him. I still don't understand that signing.
They've worked so far. I don' expect any sort of long term success for them, especially any of the offensive variety.

Old
12-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I never expected offensive success for them. Yeah sure they'll generate some as they pin an offensive unit in their zone but as long as they cycle down low, keep the puck out of our net, and forecheck/make it difficult for the other team's top line I'm happy.

Old
12-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
I don't really understand what these terms mean. This sounds like "hard to play against". I don't notice Burish laying big hits. I don't notice him hitting considerably often. He's 209th in the NHL in that category playing at a over-counting home venue, barely ahead of wait for it Miettinen. Most of the time he gets somewhat close to an opposition player and then peels off. His most noticeable skill seems to be getting kicked out of faceoffs. He wins 50% of the ones he does take, so that's OK I guess. Infuses skill into the lineup? He's scored a point every 111 minutes of ice time despite playing a significant stretch with Ribeiro...
Big hits is not what being a scrappy player is about. Being a scrappy player means digging for pucks in ugly areas of the ice, like along the boards, in the corners, and in front of the net. Basically he is a garbage man. He wins strategic faceoffs. He draws a penalty here or there (4th on the team). He doesn't draw them through speed, he draws them from being difficult to actually play against. He gets a garbage goal every so often.

And I didn't mean skill like Ribeiro's puck possession or Neal's wicked release. Maybe I should have said talent instead. He has the ability to play the NHL game, unlike Barch. He can get the cycle down low going with Ott and Segal.

Him and Ott are also basically our top PK forward pair. Yes I know our PK is bad to mediocre, but he also leads all forwards in blocked shots.

Burish is good for this team. No. He is not a perfect player. He is a good third liner. And that is all I expect out of him for 1.1 million dollars a year.

Old
12-27-2010, 02:33 PM
piqued

Recalled.

Old
12-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Was hopeful Barch was hurt after last night, but then remember Wandell was sick. Sigh.

Old
12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Sent back 12/30.

What are they doing with this kid? Keep him up, he's earned it.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:22 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Sent back 12/30.

What are they doing with this kid? Keep him up, he's earned it.
how much longer before he has to clear waivers again? Eventually someone is going to realize he belongs in the NHL.

Old
12-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

It's really interesting watching him play this year. He hasn't been all that spectacular in Austin at all this season but, for some reason he's doing great in Dallas. It's pretty neat to see how players adapt to different game styles like the difference between the A and the NHL.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 04:06 PM
piqued

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, but he might be getting to the point where it's somewhat difficult to get motivated every night for the AHL game when he can tell that he's ready for the NHL and better than several of the players on Dallas.

Old
12-30-2010, 05:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I'm not saying this is necessarily the case, but he might be getting to the point where it's somewhat difficult to get motivated every night for the AHL game when he can tell that he's ready for the NHL and better than several of the players on Dallas.
There's probably a little something to that. I might come at it from a slightly different angle and say that mentally it may be kind of difficult to make the switch between skill level of teammates down there and up here. The guy could really do himself a favor and work his ass off on faceoffs. Make himself the de facto right shot faceoff man and you'd have to think he'd have a roster spot locked up.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Honestly, I haven't seen a level of play that would force me to keep Gagnon up in the NHL. He's been fine, but not outstanding and just as easily replaceable as any of the current bottom-line guys.

He's simply another body down there, just like Segal and Sutherby and Petersen. I don't care for Barch, but Barch is a niche role that the organization obviously wants filled, and Gagnon is not going to take his spot on the roster.

Given that they're not going to stash a 1-way guy in the AHL with the finances being tight, Gagnon's going to have to deal with only being an injury fill-in this season unless he brings something significantly better (like dominating faceoffs as a righty) to the table.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote