HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get a top 6 forward NOW!

Old
12-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Pleky Roks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I'd go hard after Brad Richards if he was made available.

I like this idea...a lot!!!

But only if Gomez is willing to play the wing.

I like the move for a couple of reasons. It would give us another veteran player who's won a cup and plays big in the playoffs...another solid centerman that's decent on faceoffs and he is also a great quarterback on the powerplay.

The only thing is....who do we send to Dallas in exchange for Richards that won't effect our lineup that much and also fit Richards under the cap?? Since a quarter of the season is over....Richards cap hit should also be less for the remander of the season...maybe around $4.5 or $5.
What if we give Dallas our 1st round draft pick and a couple of prospects...would that be enough to get Richards?? We've drafted pretty well so we have good prospects ready to make the jump...maybe we could afford to part with the draft pick.

And the best thing about it is....if Richards doesn't work out....he's a UFA so we don't have to worry about his contract next summer.

I think he would be the perfect solution to the fix the Habs problem areas. If I were Pierre Gaulthier....I'd certainly be calling to try and make a deal.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Miller Time

We need, or will need, a top 4 dman, if making another deep playoff run is the goal...

Spacek/Hamrlik/Gill will be completely worn down by season's end if they are stuck picking up the slack with Markov out.

That said, scoring has been an issue (and specifically, the complete lack of output from the 2nd line), but imo that problem won't be solved until Gomez either picks it up, or gets moved.

With Gionta-Cammalleri-A.Kost-Pouliot on the roster, and MaxPac-Palushaj-Avitsin in Hamilton, we have good enough scoring depth on the wings.
Eller-Desharnais-Maxwell also gives us decent C depth.

Trading away quality assets to address the lack of production from a 2nd line that "should" be far more productive than they have been would be a mistake at this point, especially with the loss of Markov.

For top 6 reinforcements/depth, I'd rather see us kick the tires on Nolan, who is lighting it up with his team in Switzerland (14pts/11games, not that it means that much).

Heck, why not go to Switzerland and come back with both Nolan and Westcott (RH Dman, played in Columbus and had a decent few seasons, tough & an effective offensive contributor from the back end), very low risk, both add the physical element, and both can contribute offensively (especially if they are only relied on for secondary production).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 02:15 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Get Iginla

We have enough D depth. I'm fine with Weber and Picard. And our veterans are kind of not but so solid. And Subban. We're fine on D. With Gorges too. And if Markov can play, he'll set up our PP and play solid.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 12-04-2010 at 02:21 AM.
FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 02:54 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Langenbrunner makes the most sense, I can see him clicking with Gionta and Gomez, and he's a vet that's have lots of playoffs experience, isnt have his best season with NJ then again no one is having a good season over there.

Then again if we really insist on a left winger, we should for Umberger, he'd be so clutch here and is a much needed big body presence.

Last edited by Zeroknowledge*: 12-04-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 03:13 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
We need, or will need, a top 4 dman, if making another deep playoff run is the goal...
Spacek/Hamrlik/Gill will be completely worn down by season's end if they are stuck picking up the slack with Markov out.

That said, scoring has been an issue (and specifically, the complete lack of output from the 2nd line), but imo that problem won't be solved until Gomez either picks it up, or gets moved.

With Gionta-Cammalleri-A.Kost-Pouliot on the roster, and MaxPac-Palushaj-Avitsin in Hamilton, we have good enough scoring depth on the wings.
Eller-Desharnais-Maxwell also gives us decent C depth.

Trading away quality assets to address the lack of production from a 2nd line that "should" be far more productive than they have been would be a mistake at this point, especially with the loss of Markov.

For top 6 reinforcements/depth, I'd rather see us kick the tires on Nolan, who is lighting it up with his team in Switzerland (14pts/11games, not that it means that much).

Heck, why not go to Switzerland and come back with both Nolan and Westcott (RH Dman, played in Columbus and had a decent few seasons, tough & an effective offensive contributor from the back end), very low risk, both add the physical element, and both can contribute offensively (especially if they are only relied on for secondary production).
That is what we need.

And you answered the second half of you post with that first statement. Get that top 4 experienced D-man and you also immediately help your offense.

The Habs are going to need another D-man if you ask me. Not another top 6 forward (although that would be very nice but unfortunately not possible right now).

Way I look at it is the D just took a major hit. We are a really good team. Fix the D, then you're back to square one. You need someone to play with Gomez instead of Moen yes. But you just lost Andrei Markov for the year. What you need is a top 4 Dman if you ever want to make a dent in the playoffs.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That is what we need.

And you answered the second half of you post with that first statement. Get that top 4 experienced D-man and you also immediately help your offense.

The Habs are going to need another D-man if you ask me. Not another top 6 forward (although that would be very nice but unfortunately not possible right now).

Way I look at it is the D just took a major hit. We are a really good team. Fix the D, then you're back to square one. You need someone to play with Gomez instead of Moen yes. But you just lost Andrei Markov for the year. What you need is a top 4 Dman if you ever want to make a dent in the playoffs.
See, the problem I have is you bring up a guy like Pacioretty to play with Gomez and Gomez will drain him of skill. Look what he's done to Cammalleri and Gionta when they've played with him this year. Weber and Picard have been playing well enough to explore both options. I think we need to bolster our D but our offense is also important to make Gomez more expendable. Hence why I'm up to go after a guy like Richards who can also play point on the power play and right wing/centre.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:17 AM
OneSharpMarble

Tanguay is lighting it up right now and would look really nice on that second line. Calgary is crashing and burning this year, if our managment is smart they will seize the opportunity.

He is signed for 1.7M leaving us with a pile of space to get a top pairing dman.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:51 AM
habtastic

Very tough question

Picard has been awesome (but not reeeeeally putting up points, then again, not his job)

Pouliot and Eller on the third line if played enough are LIKE a first line since they get matched against weaker D and are even able to play with the best.

Gomez is not as bad as everyone thinks and once we get back to ATM and GG + Moen/Pyatt/whoever, with all firing on all cylinders, I think we have great forwards. I dunno who we could get to fill a Markovesk void cept Kaberle (who IMO is still not Markov), but I actually like our current team considering we don't have an irreplaceable defenceman (meaning trading/acquiring someone else wouldn't be effective). Also, who are our options? I want nothing to do with Bieksa et al. If anything, we need more offense from the D. Duncan Keith perhaps?

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:56 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
See, the problem I have is you bring up a guy like Pacioretty to play with Gomez and Gomez will drain him of skill. Look what he's done to Cammalleri and Gionta when they've played with him this year. Weber and Picard have been playing well enough to explore both options. I think we need to bolster our D but our offense is also important to make Gomez more expendable. Hence why I'm up to go after a guy like Richards who can also play point on the power play and right wing/centre.
Please, Cammy and Gionta suffered cuz they couldn't hit empty nets. They are benefiting from beautiful Pleky feeds and in the case of Cammy, not even. I would gladly have MP back in our lineup and see the progression of the next gen (Eller, Pouliot, Max Pac, Subban, Pyatt...that's right...Pyatt, etc.). Gomez will do fine with Gio and Max.
Get Cammy back to his potential so we can see a smile on his face for once. I think he expended too much energy pushing that tire over.

Glad to see Gio back on track. Would love to see him attain even 10% of Koivu status here.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Gustave

Wishlist:

Iginla
Umberger
Penner

No idea if available nor asking price, but anyone off these three would satisfy me greatly.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:18 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Wishlist:

Iginla
Umberger
Penner

No idea if available nor asking price, but anyone off these three would satisfy me greatly.
umberger just to stop the hurt hed put on us

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:28 AM
LastChancePrice

No need. We need a good defensive dmen. Im pretty confident with top 6 foward with Plekanec,Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez ( yes , hes starting to get it back ), Kostitsyn, and either Pouliot or Eller , which show lately some amazing hockey.

We have now about 4 millions extra cap space that add to our million remaining, and i thikn Gauthier should look on how to improve our defence with a veteran dmen, because i think we got the tools to go far in the playoff. And with a player with similar defensive skills like Markov, well, we got a chance to maybe even touch the cup.

And by looking at the defencmen that were going to become UFA with the team that will probably not making the playoff, i think the best available veteran dmen would be Bryan McCabe from the Florida Panthers. Jacques Martin already coach this guy so he know him, and im pretty sure a trade Florida-Montreal got very good chance of happening.

What Montreal could give? My answer is Weber. Weber will never become an amazing defencmen, but i think he could for a good top 4 dmen, and its what the Florida Panthers will need, knowing also he could become a good point player too.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:42 AM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
No need. We need a good defensive dmen. Im pretty confident with top 6 foward with Plekanec,Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez ( yes , hes starting to get it back ), Kostitsyn, and either Pouliot or Eller , which show lately some amazing hockey.

We have now about 4 millions extra cap space that add to our million remaining, and i thikn Gauthier should look on how to improve our defence with a veteran dmen, because i think we got the tools to go far in the playoff. And with a player with similar defensive skills like Markov, well, we got a chance to maybe even touch the cup.

And by looking at the defencmen that were going to become UFA with the team that will probably not making the playoff, i think the best available veteran dmen would be Bryan McCabe from the Florida Panthers. Jacques Martin already coach this guy so he know him, and im pretty sure a trade Florida-Montreal got very good chance of happening.

What Montreal could give? My answer is Weber. Weber will never become an amazing defencmen, but i think he could for a good top 4 dmen, and its what the Florida Panthers will need, knowing also he could become a good point player too.
Im even adding that Habs might be interested in Stillman, but with cap space, they would also have to give someone from our roster to Florida for Stillman, and i think the correct price would be to give Pyatt. That, if u add the saving we got from Weber plus the saving from Markov and our extra million, we will have enough by the deadline to get Stillman and McCabe.( 7.8m from our side vs 7.650 ).

With Stillman and McCabe, our team will be better than with Pyatt and Weber. And that could be the price to get these two veteran to montreal.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:54 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
Im even adding that Habs might be interested in Stillman, but with cap space, they would also have to give someone from our roster to Florida for Stillman, and i think the correct price would be to give Pyatt. That, if u add the saving we got from Weber plus the saving from Markov and our extra million, we will have enough by the deadline to get Stillman and McCabe.( 7.8m from our side vs 7.650 ).

With Stillman and McCabe, our team will be better than with Pyatt and Weber. And that could be the price to get these two veteran to montreal.
I can't stand McCabe..ugh. Also hate to give up one of the best young penalty killers in the league.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:57 AM
MTL-rules

Markov goes down and people want to replace him by...a forward ? WTF.

We need a solid Top 4 d-man who can log 20min a game and play solid defence... that's the priority.

If we still have cap space after, then yes, maybe think of a Top 6 forward.

Like I wrote in another thread, I'd like for PG to go get Pitkanen and Cole... I wonder how much they would ask in return and what kind of players, established nhler or prospects...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

The team is winning.

No need to rush...

Take time and wait for the perfect fit at the perfect price.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:11 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
The team is winning.

No need to rush...

Take time and wait for the perfect fit at the perfect price.
Exactly... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:12 AM
mvp76

We need an experienced offensive dman. How many of these are natural point getters at this point in their careers? And if someone else goes down in our experienced 4 since we have to overplay our top men, who will replace them? Carle? We'd have only 3 d-men with a few season under their belt.

As much as I'd like another top 6 they have to replace him..if we can find a way to find both under the cap all the better

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp76 View Post
We need an experienced offensive dman. How many of these are natural point getters at this point in their careers? And if someone else goes down in our experienced 4 since we have to overplay our top men, who will replace them? Carle? We'd have only 3 d-men with a few season under their belt.

As much as I'd like another top 6 they have to replace him..if we can find a way to find both under the cap all the better
If someone else goes down to injury then they will definitely look at adding an experienced defenseman.

We are in no rush to make trades here, the team is well in a playoff position and despite our recent W-L trend it's not a dire situation. Weber deserves a long look at his natural position and the way things are going Pacioretty will likely get a serious considering to be called up to see what he can do on our 2nd line. In the end, we may or may not need to even make a trade until the deadline if at all.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:29 AM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Exactly... if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Really, not broken?

last 9 games:
W-L-W-L-W-L-W-L-W

That's a .500 team right there.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:33 AM
mvp76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
If someone else goes down to injury then they will definitely look at adding an experienced defenseman.

We are in no rush to make trades here, the team is well in a playoff position and despite our recent W-L trend it's not a dire situation. Weber deserves a long look at his natural position and the way things are going Pacioretty will likely get a serious considering to be called up to see what he can do on our 2nd line. In the end, we may or may not need to even make a trade until the deadline if at all.
I agree that we are not in panic mode since we are doing so well anyways..but the grind of the season really begins in the second half..and having so much inexperience may catch up eventually unless our young d-men really step up. Weber looks good and I hope he can become a regular..But with so much cap space why wouldn't we look to upgrade, at least at the deadline.

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Really, not broken?

last 9 games:
W-L-W-L-W-L-W-L-W

That's a .500 team right there.
Last 3 games:

5 out of 6 points

That's an elite team right there.

No rush is all I am sayin'...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Taking a look at the stats this team is:

6th in 5 on 5
11th on PP
1st on PK
20th on Goals for Games
2nd on Goals Against
5th in Point%

Looking at those stats one would think we're fine in the defensive part. We need more offense.

True those figures are skewed by the fact that Gomez and cammy are not having great seasons bit if they continue to play sub par:

We could wait till a month before the trade deadline and try MaxPac then to see if he fills our need. If he does then we may have money to go after a top d-man.

If MaxPac doesn't fill our need then I would go for a top 6 forward - preferably someone like of Ignila's makeup.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:42 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Taking a look at the stats this team is:

6th in 5 on 5
11th on PP
1st on PK
20th on Goals for Games
2nd on Goals Against
5th in Point%

Looking at those stats one would think we're fine in the defensive part. We need more offense.

True those figures are skewed by the fact that Gomez and cammy are not having great seasons bit if they continue to play sub par:

We could wait till a month before the trade deadline and try MaxPac then to see if he fills our need. If he does then we may have money to go after a top d-man.

If MaxPac doesn't fill our need then I would go for a top 6 forward - preferably someone like of Ignila's makeup.
Exactly... this team strenght is the defence, we need to solidify it, if another injury happens to Gorges or Hammer or if the age factor starts to kick in... then we'll be in deep **** if the defence crumbles or Price start coming back to earth a little.

I'm all for an uprgade of offence, but first thing first, we lost a star d-man, we need to replace him the best we can...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Coldplay
Courage

What about Hejduk?

28 points so far, 9 goals. I think he'd fit in great.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote