HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Global Drop In

Old
12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
jeffjiron

vCash: 500
Global Drop In

Im planning a trip around the world with my friend, just to play drop in everywhere we go, and was wondering where the best drop ins are anywhere in the world? We are from California, and grew up playing at the AAA level and went on to play college, so our skill level is pretty good. Any info on good rinks, drop ins, pubs, bars, hostels, or anything you think might help would be great. Just beginning to plan this out, but it should be epic. Just wanna give'er one more time haha. thanks a lot for the help...

jeff jiron

jeffjiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Thats sickkkkkk!!!!!!

What parts of the world are you going too?

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 07:31 PM
jeffjiron

thats what im sayin lol, should be hella fun! we are gonna do canada, western and northern europe, germany, russia, australia, and sweden i think, or anywhere else that seems good.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
berzark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjiron View Post
thats what im sayin lol, should be hella fun! we are gonna do canada, western and northern europe, germany, russia, australia, and sweden i think, or anywhere else that seems good.
That's easily over 15,000$ for crapiest hotels, flights, food, etc.. if you're going to make a trip of this caliburrr

Come to ottawa and i'll rent some ice for pickup

berzark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:03 PM
jeffjiron

we know its gonna be pricy...but ottawa would be sick, we were thinking eastern and western canada, one of each. this is something that is going to happen, we are just in the beginning stages of planning.

Old
12-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

you want to borrow my soul so it feels like I was there too?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:16 PM
jeffjiron

haha its gonna be sick im pretty pumped

Old
12-03-2010, 11:28 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
by far one of the best shinny games on the planet is in Stouffville Ontario at the clippers arena Tuesday AM. with or without goalies. the level of most of the players are amazing and the pace of the game is very fast. As well the guys even give the noobs a chance to touch the puck once in a while too.

But it don't sound like you will be out this way.

Cool trip you are planing keep a log here I'm sure we would all love to hear about your travels and games.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:36 PM
jeffjiron

haha the bubbles picture is great, but where we go just depends on which places end up sounding best lol, probably going to have to make a poll soon. ill definately keep everyone updated and again, any input on the places, the drop ins, and all the local things to do would be great. thanks

Old
12-03-2010, 11:49 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Stouffville ON is a northern suburb of Toronto. So you know what they say about Toronto eh?
"Toronto is just like New York just without all the stuff" Loads of stuff to do here.

As well the Shinny at Canlan Ice sports Scarborough is rocking most days, and there is a good chance you will be playing with ex pros, or depending when you are in the area current pros from ECHL, AHL, and NHL. As well I might be able to hook you up with a pro skate before training camp.

You are the first person to say anything about bubbles LOL makes it worth it.

Old
12-04-2010, 12:12 AM
jeffjiron

we are serious about this trip, and toronto is starting to sound really good. ill have to get you my contact email and everything, im working on getting a page set up for the trip, as well as an email. i appreciate all the information. Im also going to meet with a travel agent to see which directions to go first. what season is best for the drop in, and pro skate?

Old
12-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Torquenstein

vCash: 490
If you come to germany let me know.

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
jeffjiron

germany is definately happening. would love to plan it around oktoberfest if possible. i have been looking up arenas in other countries, but its a pretty hard task lol. a page for this trip is under construction...will post a link soon.

Old
12-04-2010, 02:22 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
we are serious about this trip, and toronto is starting to sound really good. ill have to get you my contact email and everything, im working on getting a page set up for the trip, as well as an email. i appreciate all the information. Im also going to meet with a travel agent to see which directions to go first. what season is best for the drop in, and pro skate?
Late Aug early Sept. There are a bunch of old timer skates and ex pros that skate in the GTA al year round but if you want the best chance of skating with pros it will be Late Aug and early Sept.

I skated with and met Kevin Henderson from the SJ Sharks this summer

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471912

Super nice guy and very intimidating on the Ice (even at stick and puck)

Don Wade the captain of Team Canada standing Amputee (The one arm wonder) was the guy who fed me my first goal ever.

And there are a few more NHLers who I have played shinny with that I cant remember there names but they all are great guy and will even send the puck to a noobie like me once in a while.

I'm sure any place in Canada you go to skate you stand a chance of playing with some top level talent but I think there are more pros in the GTA than anyplace else.

Old
12-04-2010, 02:52 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

YOu guys should really invest in a high quality video camera for someone to capture all of this and make it into a movie of some sort. I was thinking of doing this EXACT same thing with my buddy, but I suck at ice hockey.

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
thorbs

adaminnj - I'm going to be back home (I'm from Markham) and would love to get in on some good shinny when I'm back. Do you have any contact numbers or schedules or anything like that?

Regarding Australia, you'll have to be careful what time of year you show up. There IS shinny, and they just built a sick new rink in Melbourne (where I go to school now), but some weeks there's just no pickup at all, and most of it is rubbish. Send me an e-mail or PM if you'd want to head to Melbourne in the future...definitely the best rink in the country.

thorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 07:43 PM
jeffjiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
YOu guys should really invest in a high quality video camera for someone to capture all of this and make it into a movie of some sort. I was thinking of doing this EXACT same thing with my buddy, but I suck at ice hockey.
We have a lot in motion with this right now, more details will come later. right now we are in the stages of figuring out where the best places to go would be, and what people would want to see from a trip like this. any help, suggestions, everything helps, shooting for sept 2011, so still plenty of planning time. a page is in the process of being put up, as well as a poll on where people would like to see us go. All help is welcome, this is going to be a great trip looking to meet some cool people along the way. thanks for the interest!

Old
12-04-2010, 07:46 PM
jeffjiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbs View Post
adaminnj - I'm going to be back home (I'm from Markham) and would love to get in on some good shinny when I'm back. Do you have any contact numbers or schedules or anything like that?

Regarding Australia, you'll have to be careful what time of year you show up. There IS shinny, and they just built a sick new rink in Melbourne (where I go to school now), but some weeks there's just no pickup at all, and most of it is rubbish. Send me an e-mail or PM if you'd want to head to Melbourne in the future...definitely the best rink in the country.
we definitely are heading to australia, i had a buddy who played in a league out there and said he loved it. Like i said above we are getting a page up and an email for this trip. as soon as we do ill post it, and any information you have can be sent there. thanks for the post, this all helps a lot!

Old
12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
We have a lot in motion with this right now, more details will come later. right now we are in the stages of figuring out where the best places to go would be, and what people would want to see from a trip like this. any help, suggestions, everything helps, shooting for sept 2011, so still plenty of planning time. a page is in the process of being put up, as well as a poll on where people would like to see us go. All help is welcome, this is going to be a great trip looking to meet some cool people along the way. thanks for the interest!
In the States, a few MUSTS are Minnesota, MIchigan, Buffalo area, New England, Lake George, Idaho, North/South Dakota, and Montana.

Canada I'd say, the big cities Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, and them some small cities with some nice outdoor rinks.

Abroad I'd say Norway, Sweden, Finland, Latvia, Russia, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Austria, Germany, and even Africa built an ice rink. I can't remember where, I believe South Africa. Might not be the best competition, but it would be a cool place to say you have played in.

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:01 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbs View Post

Centennial Thu. at noon and there is a new Stouffville Clippers arena that has shinny Tue. and Fri from 11:00 AM to 1:00 this time of the year they are having to split shinny between the new and the old rinks for a few weeks in Dec. and some of Jan.

you can PM me on this site and I'll get back to you.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:35 AM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

go to Toronto or montreal, stay away from ottawa though, its the most boring place in canada

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Torquenstein

vCash: 490
Quote:
germany is definately happening. would love to plan it around oktoberfest if possible. i have been looking up arenas in other countries, but its a pretty hard task lol. a page for this trip is under construction...will post a link soon.
Oktoberfest... saw that one coming

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:24 PM
jeffjiron

oktoberfest is a must lol.

Old
12-16-2010, 08:16 PM
jeffjiron

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...group_activity

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE FOR THE ENDLESS DROP IN DOCUMENTARY! CHECK US OUT!

Old
12-16-2010, 10:47 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...group_activity

OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE FOR THE ENDLESS DROP IN DOCUMENTARY! CHECK US OUT!
I just requested to join. Looks like fun