HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is It Time To Part Ways ?

Old
12-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Habblues

vCash: 500
Is It Time To Part Ways ?

Is it time to part ways with Spacek ? As far as I`m concerned he is the ONLY weak link playing for the Habs D right now. He`s wayyyy too slow and as we saw against the Oilers,he just can`t keep up to the speedy forwards in todays NHL. I think we are much better off with Webber and Subban in the lineup.Picard has been blowing me away lately and seems to improve every game he plays. Picard moves the puck really well,and he`s rarely caught out of position and has been laying on some great hits.....So I just can`t imagine sitting these young guns out while the slow Spacek is in the lineup. Doesn`t make sense to me. What are your thoughts fellow Hab fans ??

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 01:11 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
What?! Spacek play good hockey for us.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 01:12 PM
BeBen*

Incredible timing for this thread

not

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Lucius

People need to watch the whole game and not just the TSN highlights.

He got burned a couple times by Hall, granted, but Hall was drafted first overall because he can burn people. If you cut every guy he made look silly over his career, I suspect there wouldn't be any NHLers left in the end.

I think Spacek should move back to the left though. If he was on his correct wing, he'd knock that puck off his stick, but he's a bit easier to beat around the outside when he's on the wrong wing.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 01:23 PM
LyleOdelein

I certainly don't think that the Habs should part ways with Spacek. He's a serviceable, though overpaid veteran presence on the team.

Even though he's playing decent hockey lately, I think that he may be nearing the time where his role as an NHL player may have to be redefined. I'm not entirely sure that he's an "every game when healthy" type guy anymore. In fact, I think that the odd rest here and there might allow him to better keep up with the speed of today's game.

One of the vets (Gill, Hamr or Spacek) is due to be injured for a few games in the next little while. At that point, it will be a very nice luxury to have Weber as the 7th dman.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 01:36 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Spacek has been pretty bad for a large portion of this year, but he's proved that he can step it up in the playoffs. While I wouldn't cry if he got traded, you can never have too many experienced Dmen going forward.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Hmmm...Spacek is 1/2 of the Habs shutdown duo and the Habs have one of the best GA records in the NHL.

Get rid of Spacek? Yeah...makes total sense, I wonder why Martin keeps using him so effectively against the oppositions best lines.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:00 PM
GoodKiwi

Not enough to describe this thread.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Bullsmith

Try again next year. Spacek will still be here.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Omg his potential rating isn't 99! Get rid of him!

Do you watch the games? If you want to trade Spacek in your Xbox game, please, don't let us interfere.

Meanwhile, those of us who watch the actual games know that the Habs defense has been stellar and solid, even though it isn't made up of any big name players (when Markov is out, I suppose).

Spacek is fine. I really don't understand all the hate he gets here. Listening to some people here, if we'd let you run the show, we'd get a defense full of flashy players and before long, we'd be the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:13 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Not enough to describe this thread.

does this do the job??

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:18 PM
phoque taupe

haha awesome facepalm pix

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:19 PM
BJG

It's a moot point. No GM is going to trade for a 36 year-old Dman making $3.8 million and who has another year on his contract. Like it or not, Jaro ain't going anywhere.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:26 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
What?! Spacek play good hockey for us.
this + 1

this guy is at least 2-3 weeks late on the "spacek haters" bandwagon... that bandwagon has left town and is now in Ottawa.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
It's a moot point. No GM is going to trade for a 36 year-old Dman making $3.8 million and who has another year on his contract. Like it or not, Jaro ain't going anywhere.

My god some people need to relax!!! The Habs are 1st in the division and 3rd in the conference.....I don't think we need to make too many changes right now....we just need to get a solid effort out of every player. If the team was playing more consistant, we would be 1st in the whole league right now.

Spacek is NOT playing that bad at all right now. He had a rough start, but he's stepped up his game lately and has been a solid defender for us. Yes he makes mistakes, but name 1 player on the Habs roster that doesn't make a mistake??? You're never going to find a player in the NHL that never makes a mistake.....get over it.

BUT....if the Habs had to part with a defencemen, Spacek would be my first choice....I just don't see why people say he's playing so bad. He's a + defencemen right now....he's not playing bad at all.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:46 PM
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post

My god some people need to relax!!! The Habs are 1st in the division and 3rd in the conference.....I don't think we need to make too many changes right now....we just need to get a solid effort out of every player. If the team was playing more consistant, we would be 1st in the whole league right now.

Spacek is NOT playing that bad at all right now. He had a rough start, but he's stepped up his game lately and has been a solid defender for us. Yes he makes mistakes, but name 1 player on the Habs roster that doesn't make a mistake??? You're never going to find a player in the NHL that never makes a mistake.....get over it.

BUT....if the Habs had to part with a defencemen, Spacek would be my first choice....I just don't see why people say he's playing so bad. He's a + defencemen right now....he's not playing bad at all.
I'm not sure you know what the word 'moot' means. I wasn't advocating for the Habs trading Jaro, I was merely pointing out that both sides who seem (predictably) strident about the issue are wasting their time arguing; Jaro will be with the organization at least until next season's trade deadline.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
coolasprICE

when the games start to really count, or when it's on the line, I actually prefer Spacek than Hammer.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

He still makes some nice hits from time to time and he's responsible for one big defensive save per game. I don't know how he does it but he'll dive and just manage to poke the puck away at the last second, it's great.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:30 PM
neofury*

So now that the guys been far more consistent and playing much better you make this thread?

I know he's made mistakes but you'd be hard pressed to find a player who hasn't. The reason for people bashing him before is because he'd make numerous mistakes a game. Now he's down to 0-2. I'm fine with that.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I was pissed off at Spacek's play for the first 6-7 games or so.. but since then he's been stellar. Hammer has been even better.

That said, I think if you consider the player's cap hit into the equation, I'd take Subban, Picard and Weber ahead of him and use the room for a legit 2nd line player. That's in an ideal world. Reality is that Spacek has a no trade clause and we're stuck with him for another year, which is not the end of the world. He's still pretty good.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:54 PM
MoonlightGraham

Spacek and Hamrlik have been our best d-men pairing of late.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:58 PM
CanadienErrant*

At the beginning of the season, I would had voted YES !

But now, he's back in shape and he is playing pretty good hockey with Hamrlik.

Habs need another top-6 winger to complement Gomez and Cammy.

Is it Pacioretty ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post

does this do the job??
My avatar is speechless.

Spacek is one of my favorite habs defensemen besides Markov.

Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 01:48 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussCourtnallsGhost View Post
Spacek has been pretty bad for a large portion of this year, but he's proved that he can step it up in the playoffs. While I wouldn't cry if he got traded, you can never have too many experienced Dmen going forward.
Older players like Spacek, Hamrlik and Gill take 20 games to get in real shape. Now, they are gonna play at their full potential for the rest of the year.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Schooner Guy

Habblues should not be permitted to start threads. He starts the most ridiculous threads, gets flamed, gets multiple face-palms and then disappears for a few days and doesn't respond or face the music.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote