HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When Okposo returns...

Old
11-26-2010, 03:09 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

vCash: 500
When Okposo returns...

Does he get the top slot with JT or does Parenteau maintain his vise-like grip on the spot, despite what reality should dictate?

1 assist in six games despite getting first-line ice time and 1st PP time.
1 G, 1 A in nine games.

Meanwhile, Grabner has 2 goals and 2 assists in his last three, while getting odds and ends in ice time.

So, obviously, logic is not in charge here, so does Okposo get his spot back?

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Brunomics

Okposo has to play with JT, he automatically becomes the teams best winger. Plus the chemistry he had with JT and Moulson is important as well.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 03:37 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Parenteau's ass goes back to Europe hopefully.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 03:41 PM
BaileyToOkposo

What's the news with okposo and streit? It's pathetic that the isles don't keep u informed about the 2 best players

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

When Okposo gets up to speed, he's back with JT.

When that is, only time will tell.

As for Parenteau, he's likely here for the wholeeeeeeeeeeee season, so get used to him.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 07:06 PM
hgo

I think we see Parenteau in the press box when this happens. Rather, I hope. But really, who does Parenteau deserve to supplant at this point?

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 09:15 PM
BEB595

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Shremp-Comeau
Parenteau-Nielson-Grabner
Martin-Konopka-Sim

BEB595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEB595 View Post
Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Bailey-Shremp-Comeau
Parenteau-Nielson-Grabner
Martin-Konopka-Sim
Bailey Tavares Okposo
Moulson Schremp Grabner
Joensuu Nielsen Comeau
Martin Konopka Parenteau

Would love to see the Islanders give those lines a chance.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey Hanrahan

I'd rather they bite the bullet and deal Comeau while he still has some value. I just don't see his upside anymore. The IQ and effort isn't there. For those who think its merely a case of him being played above his skill-set, and that he'd be useful on the 3rd line, I haven't seen much physicality from him either.

Certainly PAP is not lighting up either, and I'm not suggesting he'll ever progress to being a difference maker. But (i) he seems to put forth more of an effort, which I value, and (ii) would not bring back much in a deal (if any team would even be interested in acquiring him). While some may think claue (ii) is actually an argument for why Comeau should be retained, I think it would be more a case of reputation (meaning what Comeau is perceived to be (physical and progressing) vs. reality (low-IQ, inconsistent effort, no shot, development plateauing)).

Time to sell high on this kid.

Hey Hanrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Isles Junkie

I wonder if he'll get his A back. I'm sure he doesn't care, but I think about it.

anyway, yeah he better be playing with Tavares.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRanT View Post
Bailey Tavares Okposo
Moulson Schremp Grabner
Joensuu Nielsen Comeau
Martin Konopka Parenteau

Would love to see the Islanders give those lines a chance.
Love the look of those lines, but PAP can not do anything other than top 6. So he is either there, the pressbox, or back to AHL stardom.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:50 PM
The Fuhr*

I was curious when is he expected back?

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Islanderfan17

No doubt he'll be on the first line over PAP.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Does anyone have any updates on Okposo? Haven't heard anything on his status in a long time, though with Botta down should I actually expect to hear anything?

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:32 PM
startainfection

when okposo gets back i hope the top 3 lines looks like something like

moulson - tavares - okposo
bailey - neilsen - grabner
joensuu - konopka - martin

the other line could just be some mix of schremp, comeau, weight and PA

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 06:10 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan17 View Post
Does anyone have any updates on Okposo? Haven't heard anything on his status in a long time, though with Botta down should I actually expect to hear anything?
Expected back early January.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Love the look of those lines, but PAP can not do anything other than top 6. So he is either there, the pressbox, or back to AHL stardom.
What is so great about them? Only two of them are decent goal scorers. No matter how you mix and match, the talent level remains the same.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Expected back early January.
Wasn't he initially expected to be back in December?

11-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
I was curious when is he expected back?
not soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Wasn't he initially expected to be back in December?
yep. katie strang (beat writer) said in a chat that january is more realistic.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Brunomics

Take it for what it's worth but a trainer at my gym saw him training in a private gym up in the north area of nassau somewhere(didn't ask). Said that he looked fine with the exception of that he was working with light weights to build the strength back up in that shoulder. So at least he's doing good and will be back on the ice soon.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Take it for what it's worth but a trainer at my gym saw him training in a private gym up in the north area of nassau somewhere(didn't ask). Said that he looked fine with the exception of that he was working with light weights to build the strength back up in that shoulder. So at least he's doing good and will be back on the ice soon.
That's great to hear! Hopefully he regains full rotation and gets it back to pre injury strength.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:09 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hanrahan View Post
I'd rather they bite the bullet and deal Comeau while he still has some value. I just don't see his upside anymore. The IQ and effort isn't there. For those who think its merely a case of him being played above his skill-set, and that he'd be useful on the 3rd line, I haven't seen much physicality from him either.

Certainly PAP is not lighting up either, and I'm not suggesting he'll ever progress to being a difference maker. But (i) he seems to put forth more of an effort, which I value, and (ii) would not bring back much in a deal (if any team would even be interested in acquiring him). While some may think claue (ii) is actually an argument for why Comeau should be retained, I think it would be more a case of reputation (meaning what Comeau is perceived to be (physical and progressing) vs. reality (low-IQ, inconsistent effort, no shot, development plateauing)).

Time to sell high on this kid.
You do not trade a young player who is in need of being pushed to produce. Whatever they can get for Comeau, which is not very much at all, is not worth the effort unless there are better players waiting to take his place. The fact is that Comeau needs that constant pushing and kick in the ass to play consistantly good hockey. It's called coaching and what coaches get paid for.
For a player of good size who can skate real well, has an NHL shot, and makes good passes, there is no reason not to put in the effort to make him produce.
It's not like he is a cancer on the team. This is a team with a lack of NHL talent. Comeau needs to have his ice time cut or sit out a few games to get the message that floating, perimeter play and general lack of 100% effort are not acceptable.

Old
12-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Pnut

Quote:
The fact is that Comeau needs that constant pushing and kick in the ass to play consistantly good hockey. It's called coaching and what coaches get paid for.
For a player of good size who can skate real well, has an NHL shot, and makes good passes, there is no reason not to put in the effort to make him produce.

Eventually when does it become the players problem?
I think it is assumed that the coaches are not pushing these guys. In the end, IMHO Gj, it is the player that plays the game and needs to produce on the ice. Period. I mean if the coaches aren't doing their jobs they get fired (or reassigned) Comeau has to show that he wants it.

Comeau, Schremp, Neilsen, Grabo need to show they want it. Otherwise they are just Jeff Tambellini Part II or Part III or Part IV or Part V. It seems like Grabs is the only one that wants it but he has to stay consistent.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Hey Hanrahan

Quote:
You do not trade a young player who is in need of being pushed to produce.
Comeau is almost 25 years old. This is his 4th year in the NHL. To my eye, he has shown little improvement over those 4 years. In contrast, Grabner just turned 23 and I think most would agree he's shown more this season than Blake. So I keep Grabner over Blake. Parenteau, the only other candidate to be impacted by Okposo's return, is 27, has no value in a trade, while I think Comeau can still bring you something useful in return (though based mainly on reputation and upside in the unlikely event that he reaches it).

Quote:
Whatever they can get for Comeau, which is not very much at all, is not worth the effort unless there are better players waiting to take his place.
The basis for the thread is what happens when Okposo returns. So Okposo is the "better player" to take his place.

Quote:
The fact is that Comeau needs that constant pushing and kick in the ass to play consistantly good hockey. It's called coaching and what coaches get paid for.
Again, he's almost 25. He's been sent down to Bridgeport in seasons past. He's already had his ice time cut several times in seasons past. Those "kicks in the ass" haven't seemed to spark him to give a consistent effort. You say "why give up on a young player who needs to be pushed to produce. I say, "why bother with a 25-year old player who needs to "be pushed" or get "kicks in the ass" to produce?" And kicks in the ass can't overcome low hockey IQ.

Quote:
His size is decent, but I don't find him that physical. His defensive game is, generously, average. His shot is, at best, average (Blake's career shooting % average is 10.26%, this year it's a paltry 4.84%; NHL average shooting % is typically 10-11%, which includes defensemen whose shooting % is usually lower, so we can assume average shooting % for forwards is actually higher than 10-11%). So his pure skill is average, but his motor and IQ are below average.

Again the reason I say Blake over PAP is that I think we could get something for Blake. Otherwise they are approximately a wash (maybe a small edge to Comeau). I don't get too upset about losing Comeau because, for the reasons stated, I don't see him as part of the future "core" of the team (same is true of PAP) and decisions will need to be made soon.

We have Tavares, Okposo, Moulson (assuming he re-signs) locks in the top. Presumably Bailey will soon be back in the top 6. Nino is a lock to make the top 6 in a year or two. That leaves 1 slot in the top 6, and as I mentioned I prefer Grabner right now. Rahkshani, Joensuu, (hopefully) Petrov, Anders Lee and Jason Gregoire are or will be knocking at the door soon. And that contemplates no upgrades through FA.

Hey Hanrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:21 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post

Eventually when does it become the players problem?
I think it is assumed that the coaches are not pushing these guys. In the end, IMHO Gj, it is the player that plays the game and needs to produce on the ice. Period. I mean if the coaches aren't doing their jobs they get fired (or reassigned) Comeau has to show that he wants it.

Comeau, Schremp, Neilsen, Grabo need to show they want it. Otherwise they are just Jeff Tambellini Part II or Part III or Part IV or Part V. It seems like Grabs is the only one that wants it but he has to stay consistent.
Agree with that. There should be no free rides on a professional sports team. It's either produce or the team replaces you with someone who will. That is my point. When we have someone, or can get someone that is better than Comeau, there is only the hope that he wakes up to the pushing and gets self motivated. I am not one to just "get rid" of a player that is annoying becuse they under produce just for the sake of satisfying my anger towards them. If Ullstrom is better and is ready to replace Comeau, then that is what you do.