HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

#28|Penguins VS Blue Jackets @ Nationwide Arena|Dec. 4th, 2010

Old
12-04-2010, 09:14 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

vCash: 500
#28|Penguins VS Blue Jackets @ Nationwide Arena|Dec. 4th, 2010

PENGUINS VS BLUE JACKETS

December 4th 2010: 7:00 PM @ Nationwide Arena

Online Viewing Sources
atdhe.net <--Most Reliable
Justin.tv (non-direct)
Channelsurfing.net (non-direct)
MyP2P Forums

Penguins Game Preview, Recent News & Last Game Highlights

Quote:
The Penguins will do battle with one of the Western Conference’s top teams on Saturday, when they travel to Columbus to take on the Blue Jackets.

After finishing 27th overall in the league with 79 points in 2009-10, the Blue Jackets have gotten off to a strong start this season. They’ve gone 6-3-1 in their last 10 games and have recorded the fourth-most points in the West with 29.

Captain Rick Nash, the core of the team’s offense, is producing at a steady clip with a team-leading 13 goals. He’s led the Jackets in goals each of the past six seasons, and in points for four of those. Pittsburgh native RJ Umberger has also been hot as of late, setting a franchise record by extending his point streak to 10 games with two assists on Dec. 1. Antoine Vermette, acquired from Ottawa in March 4, 2009, posted 65 points (27G-38A) last season and is third on the team with 14 points (7G-7A).

Besides those veterans, it’s the team’s young forwards that have been stepping up. Derick Brassard has been brilliant up top for Columbus after notching just one assist through his first six games. The 23-year-old center has recorded a point in 14 of the last 17 contests for 16 points (6G-10A). Rounding out the offense is Jakub Voracek, 21, whose 15 points (5G-10A) rank fourth on the team.

On the blue line, Rotislav Klesla leads the NHL with a plus-17 rating through 23 games. He was the team’s No. 4 overall selection in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, but played just a combined 60 games over the past two seasons due to injury. And the Blue Jackets need him, as they have lost their top producer, Marc Methot, to an upper-body injury that leaves his status as day-to-day. Methot has 10 assists to pace the team’s defensemen. Mike Commodore adds a veteran presence to the back end, while Anton Stralman and Jan Hedja round out the defensive corps.

Goaltender Steve Mason won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year in 2009, when he backstopped the Blue Jackets to their first playoff berth in franchise history that season. Mason, 22, thrives off facing shots, as he is 6-3-0 when facing 30 or more in a game. He’s joined by veteran and former Penguin Mathieu Garon, who is 6-1 on the season with a 1.33 GAA and .950 save percentage.
Talbot's Pain Adds to Pens' Plight
Pens PK Finally Gives Up Goal
Fight Club: Pens VS Jackets
Crosby Turns Second Straight Hat Trick Into Victory

Blue Jackets Game Preview, Recent News & Last Game Highlights

Quote:
Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel and his staff find themselves at their first significant crossroads.
After starting the season 14-6, the Jackets have lost four straight and look like a disjointed and distracted bunch. Last night, they were routed 5-0 by the Buffalo Sabres in HSBC Arena. They were never in the game on the way to being shut out for the first time this season.
How bad was it? Their best player was Mathieu Garon, a goaltender who allowed five goals. If not for Garon, who stopped 32 shots, including a pair of breakaways, the low-scoring Sabres might have reached double digits. Apparently some Jackets fans back home lost the telecast during the second period. They should consider themselves the fortunate ones. The Sabres dominated every facet of play while getting goals from Jochen Hecht, Jason Pominville, Drew Stafford, Tyler Ennis and Tomas Vanek. They scored three times on the power play.
Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller could have worked up a bigger sweat staying home shoveling his driveway. He registered 19 saves for his 18th career shutout. "We got our butts kicked, plain and simple,” Jackets defenseman Mike Commodore said. "We weren’t ready to go.” But why not? Two days after Arniel called out his team for having too many passengers in a 4-3 shootout loss to the Predators, the Jackets had even more passengers tonight. This has to disturbing and distressing to the coach.
“We’re a team that has had some adversity thrown our way and it’s going to be how we handle it," Arniel said. "We saw what we did earlier in the year when we lost games and bounced back. Now, we are at four in a row here and a challenge has been thrown at us.”

They only have the league's hottest team, the Penguins, waiting for them in Nationwide Arena tonight. What is weighing on the minds of the Jackets isn't clear, but they don't resemble the confident and aggressive group of recent weeks. Last night, they turned over the puck and saw the speedy Sabres get behind their defense with regularity. Arniel probably will have to reconfigure his lines again. The Jackets' passing in the attack zone was brutal. There was nothing tape to tape. The power play was 0-of-6, and is now 1-of-22 in the four-game slide. I'd be surprised if Nikita Filatov does not go back into the lineup against the Penguins. I also think Arniel should consider reuniting the Rick Nash-Derick Brassard-Jake Voracek line. But a lot of what ails the Jackets right now comes down to effort, not execution. The Jackets haven't played a complete game since the 2-0 win over Nashville on Nov. 22.
“We’ve got to get back to a workmanlike effort," R.J. Umberger said. "We’ve got to get every person showing up every night, playing our system correctly.” On Monday, general manager Scott Howson tried keeping the team's strong start in perspective by saying, "we're one bad week away from being in 10th-place." Tonight, could end a rotten week unless Arniel can rally his club at the crossroads.
Official Blue Jackets Preview
Post Game Quotes VS Nashville
Weekly Report Nov. 29, 2010
Blue Jackets Unveil New 3rd Jersey

Previous Penguins VS Blue Jackets Matchup

Quote:
The big pads circled the puck and Steve Mason thought he had it corraled. Then it started tumbling away, wobbling inches over the goal line.
Pittsburgh scored twice in the final 3 minutes of regulation to tie it and Sidney Crosby's shot barely crossed the line in the shootout to lift the Penguins to a 4-3 victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Friday night.
"It was kind of a fluky. The puck kept going," Crosby said. "I don't know if he lost it or he didn't know where it was or whatever. I just tried a quick shot. I thought he had the save there. It just trickled in."
Mason couldn't believe the puck eluded him.
"It hit my stick and I didn't get it settled until it was over the line," he said. "It just trickled over and I was too late on it."
Brent Johnson stopped 29 shots before the shootout, then stymied Antoine Vermette, Rick Nash and Kristian Huselius in the tiebreaker. The Penguins improved to 6-0-0 on the road, the franchise's best start ever away from home.
Ruslan Fedotenko and Alex Goligoski scored late goals in a 39-second span to tie it. Chris Kunitz also had a short-handed goal and an assist. Crosby added two assists.
Kunitz said that even when it was 3-1 and time was running out that Crosby remained a positive influence.
"It shows a lot of character from our captain. He goes out and he's never quitting on anything," Kunitz said. "Sometimes a team goes packing, down by two with 3 minutes left. But he goes out, he's on the bench, he's saying, 'Let's get the next one.' So we go out there and he finds himself the puck and he gets it to (Goligoski), he gets a great shot and puts it in the net to get us to overtime."
Nash had two goals - one while on his knees - and Derek Dorsett his first of the season for the Blue Jackets, who lost their third in a row.
"We're not closing games," Nash said. "We got the lead in a lot of the games already and just can't seem to close it out. They are the defending Stanley Cup champions. You can tell why they're such a good team. We are a team that needs to learn how to play with the lead."
Columbus led 3-1 before Fedotenko netted a rebound at the left circle off a wide shot from the right point by Martin Skoula with 2:56 left. With the Penguins suddenly buzzing, Goligoski took a feed from Crosby seconds later, teed it up in the high slot and beat Mason glove side to knot the score.
"It should have never got to the shootout," Columbus coach Ken Hitchcock said. "We did everything well but get the game shut down."
The Penguins were playing without center Evgeni Malkin. Sidelined by a strained right shoulder, he missed his first game in three years.
With a large portion of the capacity crowd of 19,136 cheering for the Penguins, the Blue Jackets slowly built a two-goal lead.
Nash broke through late in the first on the power play. He collected the puck behind the cage and tried a wraparound, the puck sliding to the right wing where Derick Brassard's wrister was blocked by Johnson. Nash had skated to the slot and was knocked down. While still on his knees, the rebound came to him and he jammed the puck in for his seventh of the season.
After Nash made it 2-0, Kunitz was knocked down on a breakaway but there was no call. Seconds later, he ended up with the puck at the left doorstep and lifted it high over Mason's glove. Dorsett then returned the two-goal lead.
The Penguins woke up just in time.
"It felt like in the third we just kept generating chances," Crosby said. "We all felt confident we could get ourselves back in it with the way we were playing, the momentum we had."
NOTES: The Penguins wore their baby blue third jerseys for the first time on the road since the 2008 Winter Classic in Buffalo, a 2-1 shootout victory. ... A video clip of Colorado's Adam Foote getting leveled on a check - he forced a trade to leave Columbus at the trade deadline in 2008 - was met with loud cheers. ... Goligoski has goals in three straight games, while Crosby stretched his points streak to six in a row.

NHL Conference and Divisional Standings

Team Leaders

Player
Stat
Player

Sidney Crosby
Goals
Rick Nash

Sidney Crosby
Assists
Derick Brassard

Sidney Crosby

+14
Kris Letang
Plus/Minus
Rostislav Klesla
+17

Evgeni Malkin
Shots
Rick Nash

Deryk Engelland
PIMS
Jared Boll

Matt Cooke
Hits
Derek Dorsett

Paul Martin
Blk Shot
Rostislav Klesla

55.4%
Sidney Crosby
FO %
Antoine Vermette
55.4%

Team Stats

17-8-2Record14-9-1
2.96G/G2.67
2.37GA/G2.54
15.9%PP %9.9%
89.7%PK %83.8%
31.7Shots/G30.4
27.9Shots Ag./G31.2
49.8%FaceOff %51.8%

Penguins Projected Lineup

Left Wing
Center
Right Wing
Chris KunitzSidney CrosbyPascal Dupuis
Matt CookeEvgeni MalkinMax Talbot
Chris ConnerMark LetestuTyler Kennedy
Mike RuppCraigh AdamsArron Asham
Defense
Defense
Brooke OrpikKris Letang
Paul MartinZbynek Michalek
Alex GoligoskiDeryk Engelland

Blue Jackets Projected Lineup

Left Wing
Center
Right Wing
Rick NashDerick BrassardJakub Voracek
RJ UmbergerAntoine VermetteDerek Dorsett
Ethan MoreauSamuel PahlssonChris Clark
Andrew MurrayDerek MacKenzieJared Boll
Defense
Defense
Jan HejdaAnton Stralman
Kris RussellMike Commodore
Fedor TyutinRostislav Klesla

Goalie Match-Up

Marc-Andre Fleury

10-6-1, 0 SO; 2.44 GAA, .908 SV%

Steve Mason

8-7-1, 3 SO; 2.88 GAA, .912 SV%

GO PENS!!!

Last edited by SterlingBennett: 12-04-2010 at 10:38 AM.
SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:17 AM
skullman80

Send a message via AIM to skullman80 Send a message via Yahoo to skullman80
Getting ready in a few to drive out to Columbus. I have a feeling it's going to be at least 50/50 Pens fans there if not more. Looking forward to seeing another Pens win tonight!

skullman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:21 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Talbot out tonight?

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:22 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullman80 View Post
Getting ready in a few to drive out to Columbus. I have a feeling it's going to be at least 50/50 Pens fans there if not more. Looking forward to seeing another Pens win tonight!
When you pass Cambridge Ohio give a honk, thats where I will be. Was supposed to go to the game tonight but I forgot its one of my buddies birthdays so I gave my ticket to one of my friends. BLAH!

Oh well.

Have you ever been to Nationwide before?

Old
12-04-2010, 09:23 AM
skullman80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
When you pass Cambridge Ohio give a honk, thats where I will be. Was supposed to go to the game tonight but I forgot its one of my buddies birthdays so I gave my ticket to one of my friends. BLAH!

Oh well.

Have you ever been to Nationwide before?
No first time going.. I've been to Washington and Buffalo, but never Columbus.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:24 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
Talbot out tonight?
No word yep, Comrie is still listed with a lower body injury, so I imagine if he is out they will just play Godard because there is no word of a call up.

The last news of Talbot on the possibility of him playing in Columbus by DB was "definitely" possible.

So... Who knows. Probably won't know till game time.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:26 AM
JWells16

Wow, their PP is atrocious.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:29 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
No first time going.. I've been to Washington and Buffalo, but never Columbus.
Nationwide is a good Arena, last time I was there it was a preseason game so it was only half full. But the fans are nice, you'll get a lot of drunks slapping you on the back and jawing you, but its just tongue and cheek and you can give it right back (reasonably).

Show up a bit early, because the parking garage and the streets around the arena can be quite chaotic. Nothing worse than downtown Pittsburgh though.

And there is also a good bar about 20 yards from the front entrance of the arena to chill at. I have never at there but I would imagine its normal bar food, but you'll catch quite a few cool people there. I ended up "pregaming" there for about an hour an half last time I was there with some people and we got along so well me and my friends met back up with them after.

Good town, big sports town thats starting to come around to its hockey team, so they are prideful of the city and all its sports... But still learning the game. Good people though.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:32 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
Wow, their PP is atrocious.
Yea, I watch quite a bit of Blue Jackets hockey living in Ohio, and their PP basically consists of pass... Pass... Pass to Rick Nash, Rick Nash crashes the net... Opposing team clears... *repeat*

Okay maybe not THAT bad, but its basically him and Brassard trying to do everything. Very dramatic and exciting when it does work... But not often.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:35 AM
skullman80

Quote:
Nationwide is a good Arena, last time I was there it was a preseason game so it was only half full. But the fans are nice, you'll get a lot of drunks slapping you on the back and jawing you, but its just tongue and cheek and you can give it right back (reasonably).

Show up a bit early, because the parking garage and the streets around the arena can be quite chaotic. Nothing worse than downtown Pittsburgh though.

And there is also a good bar about 20 yards from the front entrance of the arena to chill at. I have never at there but I would imagine its normal bar food, but you'll catch quite a few cool people there. I ended up "pregaming" there for about an hour an half last time I was there with some people and we got along so well me and my friends met back up with them after.

Good town, big sports town thats starting to come around to its hockey team, so they are prideful of the city and all its sports... But still learning the game. Good people though.
R-Bar right? That's where I know a ton of Pens fans are meeting up before the game. I'll be up in 209... can't imagine it will be any worse than the high up view I had in Washington or Buffalo. Will have the g/f with me, not too worried about anyone starting anything. I'm usually pretty calm about that crap anyways, it's all in good fun.

We are spending the night and not coming back till tomorrow. Red Roof Inn in Dublin, so it's about a 20 minute drive to the arena from what I mapped out, but all high way. I also already got a pre-paid parking pass for the "A" lot right by the arena ready to go.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
R-Bar right? That's where I know a ton of Pens fans are meeting up before the game. I'll be up in 209... can't imagine it will be any worse than the high up view I had in Washington or Buffalo. Will have the g/f with me, not too worried about anyone starting anything. I'm usually pretty calm about that crap anyways, it's all in good fun.

We are spending the night and not coming back till tomorrow. Red Roof Inn in Dublin, so it's about a 20 minute drive to the arena from what I mapped out, but all high way. I also already got a pre-paid parking pass for the "A" lot right by the arena ready to go.
I think thats the name of the place, I can not remember. Last time I went to Columbus for a game I did not drive so I partook of quite a lot of "wobbly pops". That whole day has an almost photo shop blur to it. It was fun though.

Anyways, have fun man. Like I said the Columbus people are pretty cool, just really tongue and cheek from what I experienced. There will be A LOT of Penguins fans. I have been to Nationwide twice and both times its was about 60/40 Jackets to Pens fans ratio. And a lot of Jackets fans are former Pens fans but switched when Ohio got a team.

Youll have fun.

Also if you and the girlfriend want to go out for the night High Street is the bar district. Its sort of like Columbus's Southside. And its like 10 mins from the arena.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:46 AM
skullman80

Quote:
I think thats the name of the place, I can not remember. Last time I went to Columbus for a game I did not drive so I partook of quite a lot of "wobbly pops". That whole day has an almost photo shop blur to it. It was fun though.

Anyways, have fun man. Like I said the Columbus people are pretty cool, just really tongue and cheek from what I experienced. There will be A LOT of Penguins fans. I have been to Nationwide twice and both times its was about 60/40 Jackets to Pens fans ratio. And a lot of Jackets fans are former Pens fans but switched when Ohio got a team.

Youll have fun.

Also if you and the girlfriend want to go out for the night High Street is the bar district. Its sort of like Columbus's Southside. And its like 10 mins from the arena.
Thanks for the heads up on the night life... heading out now just in case we run into any weather. LETS GO PENS!

Old
12-04-2010, 09:48 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the night life... heading out now just in case we run into any weather. LETS GO PENS!
OH also, once you pass the Newark exit... STOP SPEEDING!

The State Troopers from that point all the way to Columbus are psychotics. They will sit on on-ramps, hide any where they can and even in the winter will stand outside of the cruiser with the radar/laser gun waiting for you. Plus the Staties in Mid-Ohio are sort of massive jack offs.

Just a heads up.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

I'll be making the trip to Columbus as well. It'll be my first Pens game away from Civic Arena/Mellon Arena/CEC, so I'm pretty excited. LETS GO PENS!

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:58 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharmander View Post
I'll be making the trip to Columbus as well. It'll be my first Pens game away from Civic Arena/Mellon Arena/CEC, so I'm pretty excited. LETS GO PENS!
Have fun dude, everything I said above is a heads up for you as well.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:07 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I really like the new beginning to your GDT, FZ. It gives a lot of current information to catch up with opposing teams. Keep that up.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Worst game of the year for me. Ugh. Part of me is glad I'll miss this one. Especially with the Jackets playing so poorly of late.

Enjoy the game. Give CBJ fans a break if things don't go our way...

Old
12-04-2010, 10:09 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I really like the new beginning to your GDT, FZ. It gives a lot of current information to catch up with opposing teams. Keep that up.
Thanks, would've also done my normal combinations section as well but the JerseyDatabase is down at the moment. And its looks rather funny without the pics in the second.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:14 AM
End of Line
Human After All

I'll be there tonight in section 108. It's about a 15 min. drive for me to get to the arena.

There's a couple good bars to go to (R-Bar and Garage Bar), and a couple places to grab a bite to eat (Ted's Montana Grill, Boston's Pizza, and BD's Mongolian Grill)

Skullman, howcome you're staying in Dublin?

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:24 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I really need to get my ass to one of these games in Columbus sometime soon. I look forward to CBJ games more than any other non-Philly/Caps game.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Quote:
OH also, once you pass the Newark exit... STOP SPEEDING!

The State Troopers from that point all the way to Columbus are psychotics. They will sit on on-ramps, hide any where they can and even in the winter will stand outside of the cruiser with the radar/laser gun waiting for you. Plus the Staties in Mid-Ohio are sort of massive jack offs.

Just a heads up.
This should make any Ohio State Troopers that are CBJ fans real happy that has to go on duty during the shift change after reading this. I feel bad for anyone traveling I70 towards Columbus with PA plates now....

Officer: You know why I pulled you over?

No Sir.

Officer: You can thank Fictionzero on hfboards.com.....

Fiction!........

Happy Travels

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:32 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
This should make any Ohio State Troopers that are CBJ fans real happy that has to go on duty during the shift change after reading this. I feel bad for anyone traveling I70 towards Columbus with PA plates now....

Officer: You know why I pulled you over?

No Sir.

Officer: You can thank Fictionzero on hfboards.com.....

Fiction!........

Happy Travels

How do you know that I am not a State Trooper *evil laugh* MUWAHAHAHA!

Old
12-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Saku11

Repeat plz!(only after a few goals , Geno)

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:40 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Repeat plz!(only after a few goals , Geno)
I forgot about that!

Yes, after Malkin gets 2 goals I want him and Nash to go center ice!!!

Old
12-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Sideline

Quote:
I forgot about that!

Yes, after Malkin gets 2 goals I want him and Nash to go center ice!!!
With our luck we'll get 15 minutes of dominate old Geno scoring a couple followed by breaking his hand in a fight...

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote