HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

HNIC - Rangers interested in adding Richards at the deadline

Old
12-04-2010, 08:33 PM
XLJ

vCash: 500
I love how this team is playing. I'd be very interested in trading for Richards. He is a great player. You dont get to add a player like Richards very often.

I'd try not to trade any of our young players that are on the rangers currently and Kreider. Other than that they could have pretty much whoever they want.

Sather can dump Frolov, and send White & Gilroy down to hartford to make room for Richards salary. He has to get a little creative in resigning him though. He has to trade Rozsival and might have to buyout Drury.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:40 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I'm interested in richards just because of the way this team has played this year. BUT I do not want to give up AA for him.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

The people that are all questioning why not just wait for him is because Sather may feel that someone will trade for him and lock him up long term before he even has a chance to hit free agency. I can definitely see someone trading for him and possibly even locking him up and that is NOT what we want.

Also, this trade would NOT be for a rental. If Sather is making the trade for Richards then there is going to be a contract given to him. I do not, under any cirumstances, think Sather would give up so much for a rental. If we trade for Richards we will sign him long term, book it.

Also, the one thing I have complete faith in Sather is his ability to make a trade. I know damn well that he won't trade Anisimov. As someone posted above me, something along the lines of Frolov (for cap purposes and cap relief purposes for Dallas), Gilroy, Grachev and or McD/Valentenko and I would be doing cartwheels.

I really want Richards centering line number 1 on this team. I guarentee you that we would be instantly near the top of the East and quickly become a serious threat. He is an elite playmaker that could make it so much easier for Gaborik.

Avery - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Stepan - Callahan

Staal - Girardi
MDZ

Lundqvist

That is one hell of a future. In my personal opinion, this team NEEDS Richards more than anything. Having that top playmaker will make this team better tenfold.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:47 PM
beastly115

On the trade board, one trade that Dallas and Rangers fans were receptive to was:

Dal gets: Rozsival, Grachev, McDonagh, 2nd (Becomes 1st if Richards resigns)

NYR gets: Richards, Daley

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:49 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
On the trade board, one trade that Dallas and Rangers fans were receptive to was:

I would run naked from NJ to NY and go hug Glen Sather if he could do that trade. I really don't want to give up on Grachev but I would love that deal. I think McD will be a top 4 d-man but we have so many quality d-men in the system that I am more than ok giving him up.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:50 PM
racer90

if anisimov gets traded for richards....

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:52 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:

Pass....

The trade isn't worth half that if Richards is a rental...

Rosival, Grachev and a 2nd is the best I do, resign or not. Let Dallas extend him first if they want a better return.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

What you all fail to realize is that there is no way the Rangers pull the trigger without somehow knowing they can resign Richards.

Maybe a sign&trade is pulled off ...

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:01 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

I would do Roszival, Grachev, Valentanko or McIlrath and a 1st.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:01 PM
rangers1314

When I hear that Sather is willing to give up "assets", I'm thinking that it means Grachev, not AA.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:06 PM
azrok22

Dallas currently sits 3rd in the Western Conference.

I certainly think it's worthwhile to explore the possibility of trading for Richards, but would obviously prefer he makes it to July 1st.

Even with the threat of losing him for nothing, I just can't see Dallas trading him if they are in solid playoff position at the deadline.

Therefore, go Dallas.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
What you all fail to realize is that there is no way the Rangers pull the trigger without somehow knowing they can resign Richards.

Exactly...which is why I could see Anisimov being part of the deal IF Richards is going to be here for the next five years. Stepan is now getting time with Dubi and Cally. Boyle has pretty much assumed the 3rd line center position. Plus, you have the specter of Drury, at some point coming back. Richards does three things that make this team better - 1) he's one of the best playmakers in the game and fills the #1 center position, 2) he plays the point on the PP successfully, and 3) he's at 51.4 % on faceoffs.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:09 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Dallas currently sits 3rd in the Western Conference.

I certainly think it's worthwhile to explore the possibility of trading for Richards, but would obviously prefer he makes it to July 1st.

Even with the threat of losing him for nothing, I just can't see Dallas trading him if they are in solid playoff position at the deadline.

Therefore, go Dallas.
if dallas keeps him that works fine for us....but we need to atleast be atleast doing the legwork so if he becomes available we know the that and the price so a decision can be mad. don't want to be 'asleep at the wheel' thinking he wont get moved yet

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:11 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:

the other thing we have to all remember is that despite any complaints we have about sather over the years, he has not traded away a single prospect actually worth something since he got here so its not likely that he's gonna turn around now and start giving away top young talent for a rental player

Old
12-04-2010, 09:23 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Are sign and trades even allowed in the NHL?

And generally, it would be very nice to have a player of his calibre on the team. But, he'll be on the wrong side of 30 next season and has missed quite a few games 3 of the last 4 years. I'm all for picking him up as a UFA, but what kind of a contract is he going to want? Gotta think he's going to ask for 6 or 7 years...but have we learned nothing from the last few years?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:30 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Are sign and trades even allowed in the NHL?

And generally, it would be very nice to have a player of his calibre on the team. But, he'll be on the wrong side of 30 next season and has missed quite a few games 3 of the last 4 years. I'm all for picking him up as a UFA, but what kind of a contract is he going to want? Gotta think he's going to ask for 6 or 7 years...but have we learned nothing from the last few years?
only time you can't trade a guy is for 1 year after matching an offer sheet.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:42 PM
NYRAvery16NYR

The Rangers knew how much Dallas coveted Mcllrath, which is a major reason why they drafted him, they knew Richards was likely to be traded this season. Mcllrath will definetly be ONE of the assets that go to Dallas if this trade is to happen.

NYRAvery16NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRAvery16NYR View Post
The Rangers knew how much Dallas coveted Mcllrath, which is a major reason why they drafted him, they knew Richards was likely to be traded this season. Mcllrath will definetly be ONE of the assets that go to Dallas if this trade is to happen.
The only way that will be good is if it's Mcilrath for Richards straight up which will probably not happen.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:46 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
Let's see why this makes sense...

The Rangers are (so far) having their best season since 07-08, fluctuating from 6th to 5th seed mostly. Adding Brad = Home ice. God knows when the last time the Rangers had home ice was. We are all expecting this team to finish strong with an amazing backup goalie giving Henrik rest and having a well conditioned team on the ice. Having a #1 center would very likely push us into home ice.

Personally, I think it would be the right move to go for the cup now. Because the Rangers are playing so well, despite having a combined $19M in cap space locked up in an overpaid third line center, defender, and an elite goalie making top dollar (look at post lock out cup winning teams, salary is not spent on goalies), this is the appropriate move. Also factor in the youth that is effectively contributing at low prices both offensively and defensively, compensating for our overspending.

It's important to add Richards this year because our youth starts getting more expensive next year with Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan, Boyle, and Sauer all getting raises (if they're each respectively still with us after a Richards trade). If we go for it this year, it's going to be like catching lightning in a bottle. Obviously Richards has to be retained after we trade for him, but at the same time so does our youth. If Rozsival goes the other way it makes things a lot easier for us.

Basically, you have to seriously consider the difference Richards would make on a team that's honestly better than most here would give credit to.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I said in the Anisimov thread, he's not a long-term part of this team.

He's part of the package we construct for Richards.
And what basis do you have for this assumption? The fact that Torts had him skating on our 4th line the last few games?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:47 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
Quote:

I would take that trade in a HEART BEAT.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Let's see why this makes sense...

The Rangers are (so far) having their best season since 07-08, fluctuating from 6th to 5th seed mostly. Adding Brad = Home ice. God knows when the last time the Rangers had home ice was. We are all expecting this team to finish strong with an amazing backup goalie giving Henrik rest and having a well conditioned team on the ice. Having a #1 center would very likely push us into home ice.

Personally, I think it would be the right move to go for the cup now. Because the Rangers are playing so well, despite having a combined $19M in cap space locked up in an overpaid third line center, defender, and an elite goalie making top dollar (look at post lock out cup winning teams, salary is not spent on goalies), this is the appropriate move. Also factor in the youth that is effectively contributing at low prices both offensively and defensively, compensating for our overspending.

It's important to add Richards this year because our youth starts getting more expensive next year with Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan, Boyle, and Sauer all getting raises (if they're each respectively still with us after a Richards trade). If we go for it this year, it's going to be like catching lightning in a bottle. Obviously Richards has to be retained after we trade for him, but at the same time so does our youth. If Rozsival goes the other way it makes things a lot easier for us.

Basically, you have to seriously consider the difference Richards would make on a team that's honestly better than most here would give credit to.
You realize that we are really in ~7th place when you factor in games at hand, right?

Richards will be 31 this May. He's missed a lot of games three of the past four seasons. How long a deal are you prepared to give him? Drury's 7.5M comes off the books next summer...so we'll have cap room after next season.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRAvery16NYR View Post
Uh NO.

That's really ridiculous... You don't draft players based on what teams might be interested in trading for them... The Rangers knew they were going to struggle this season with the roster we were going to field... We most certainly did not draft a player with the intention of dangling him as trade bait for a 1 YEAR RENTAL.... There is absolutely no way this organization discussed using our 1st round pick in a feeble attempt to later trade for a player we could have signed for nothing exactly 1 year later.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:50 PM
racer90

if gettin richards involves trading del zotto, steps, or AA, id rather stay away from this

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Exactly...which is why I could see Anisimov being part of the deal IF Richards is going to be here for the next five years. Stepan is now getting time with Dubi and Cally. Boyle has pretty much assumed the 3rd line center position. Plus, you have the specter of Drury, at some point coming back. Richards does three things that make this team better - 1) he's one of the best playmakers in the game and fills the #1 center position, 2) he plays the point on the PP successfully, and 3) he's at 51.4 % on faceoffs.
The asinine thing about the Rangers moving assets for a rental is that all these rumors keep mentioning the Tortorella connection; so if Richards is so keen on playing under Tortorella again, he will sign here on July 1st and we don't need to lose any assets for any "inside track" on signing him....