HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Goligoski++

Old
12-05-2010, 08:32 AM
SkullSplitter

vCash: 500
Goligoski++

Pens fans have been saying it for awhile now, that our current top four makes Goligoski expendable.

The Pens are doing great right now, but a winger to spark Malkin could put them over the edge.

Possible players that could be packaged with Goligoski:

-Kennedy: he's a great feisty little player, but with him an RFA this offseason and Dupuis and Talbot being priorities over him (IMO) he is somewhat expendable if the Pens can get the right player out of the deal.

-Letestu: I'd say he's more valuable than Kennedy right now. He may have top 6 potential, though whether or not he can transition to wing remains to be seen. If he has to stay at Center to be effective, than he's expendable from a Pens POV.

-Jeffrey: He's ripping it up in the AHL right now. Whether or not that could translate to the NHL also remains to be seen.

-Rupp, Godard: Engelland and Asham make them redundant.

Comrie: don't know why you'd want him

Draft picks can also be packaged.

Prospects not mentioned below could be packaged as well.

Untouchables (in this trade scenario at least):
Despres, Bortuzzo, Strait, Tangradi, Kuhnhackl, Bennett, NHL players not mentioned above.

Now this thread is about Goligoski. Not Staal, not Letang. So take your "Stall for Kulemin and a 3rd" proposals elsewhere.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Leafssss

Staal for kulemin + 3rd

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:04 AM
seanlinden

Think of it this way... what happens when one of the top 4 guys gets hurt? Are Hutchinson/Lovejoy/Engelland going to play 20+ minutes a night?

Good teams need a #5 defenceman that is capable of stepping up to top 4 minutes, and that's where Goligoski comes in. The Pens have a very good D at a reasonable cost all locked up for the next couple years. When the cap goes up next year, they'll pick up wingers.

That being said, if Pittsburgh was to trade Goligoski, Setoguchi would make a fair bit of sense.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Think of it this way... what happens when one of the top 4 guys gets hurt? Are Hutchinson/Lovejoy/Engelland going to play 20+ minutes a night?

Good teams need a #5 defenceman that is capable of stepping up to top 4 minutes, and that's where Goligoski comes in. The Pens have a very good D at a reasonable cost all locked up for the next couple years. When the cap goes up next year, they'll pick up wingers.
Pretty much. That's why I don't want to trade Goligoski right now.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Bruin4Life

Wheeler + ?

Bruin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Gogo to me is the odd man out - eventually.

But I don't see him being dealt for a year+ until a Despres, Bortuzzo, Strait can prove they are NHL caliber.

Unless Shero is blown away with an offer before then, I don't see Gogo moving at least until the deadline next year.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:20 AM
fan in oregon

thats a big no go at the gogo about gogo betng traded

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
mgd525

Quote:

That being said, if Pittsburgh was to trade Goligoski, Setoguchi would make a fair bit of sense.
Thats true about needing a good number 5. However we could package our 2nd and something to get that number 5 guy at the deadline. Perhaps a number 5 that fits this team better for the playoffs. A vet physical stay at home type. Like Andy Sutton.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:53 AM
rocsfeather
jump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd525 View Post
Thats true about needing a good number 5. However we could package our 2nd and something to get that number 5 guy at the deadline. Perhaps a number 5 that fits this team better for the playoffs. A vet physical stay at home type. Like Andy Sutton.
Sutton for a second? Done.

rocsfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:56 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrageous Leafs Fan View Post
Staal for kulemin + 3rd
LOL!!!! This

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Rakunitz23

The only untouchables in the Penguins organization not in Pittsburgh are Mr. Beau Dangles and Despres. Strait, Bortuzzo, and I'd say even Tangradi, should all be available (I'm biased against tangradi).

However, Goligoski makes 1.8 million, which is fantastic for a D man that puts up 40 pts a season and is becoming more consistent and better defensively. He isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Pens can't afford to trade Gogo unless they get another 5th guy back, which isn't worth it. If Despres makes the team out of camp I could see Gogo being moved then summer/early next year.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Csonked Out

vCash: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
Pens can't afford to trade Gogo unless they get another 5th guy back, which isn't worth it. If Despres makes the team out of camp I could see Gogo being moved then summer/early next year.
To Pitt:
Andy Greene
David Clarkson

To NJD
Alex Goligoski
3rd Round pick

I hate trading within the division but gogo is exactly what the Devils need. Andy Greene is a good replacement for gogo at a good cap hit and the Pens also get a quality winger.

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:16 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
Separate trade for another 5th guy, sending a 2nd or a 3rd somewhere for the playoff run. I think it would be worth it if we could get someone who would be a consistent threat for the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post
The only untouchables in the Penguins organization not in Pittsburgh are Mr. Beau Dangles and Despres. Strait, Bortuzzo, and I'd say even Tangradi, should all be available (I'm biased against tangradi).

However, Goligoski makes 1.8 million, which is fantastic for a D man that puts up 40 pts a season and is becoming more consistent and better defensively. He isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
I haven't given up on Tangradi. And regardless of how he's doing right now, he's pretty much the only package like that the Pens have in their system.

I don't think Bortuzzo and Strait are untouchable either, but if the Pens are going to move Goligoski in part because of the prospect depth at D, why weaken it in the same move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd525 View Post
Maybe not Sutton, but yes, the Pens can afford to pick one up.

Quote:

They'd definitely have to get a number 5 elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
To Pitt:
Andy Greene
David Clarkson

To NJD
Alex Goligoski
3rd Round pick

I hate trading within the division but gogo is exactly what the Devils need. Andy Greene is a good replacement for gogo at a good cap hit and the Pens also get a quality winger.
I like Clarkson, but I can't help but wonder if he's really worth his cap hit ATM. He needs to be a 25g scorer to be worth it, and right now he's not doing that. Not a bad deal, but I'd probably hold on to Gogo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Gogo to me is the odd man out - eventually.

But I don't see him being dealt for a year+ until a Despres, Bortuzzo, Strait can prove they are NHL caliber.

Unless Shero is blown away with an offer before then, I don't see Gogo moving at least until the deadline next year.
Well consider this to be a discussion of "this deadline/summer at the draft/next deadline"

I'm not necessarily advocating trading Goligoski, but he's got the best combo of value and expendability for the team right now if Shero were to try to move for a winger, which makes sense going in to the playoffs.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
GeoffreyPaul

A couple things. First, this talk about picking another 5th d on top of a winger that means a damn seems a lot easier said than done. But what I have failed to see from anyone in this thread that subscribes to the notion of bring said players in is how would these fantasy players fit under the cap considering we're talking about shedding just under 2 million in Goligoski for ?'s in cap space.

The other thing is that the only untouchables outside of the roster currently playing in Pittsburgh should be Despres and Bennett. And if a trade could be worked out were a guy like Iginla could come in, Beau could go as well.

But, as others have said, this is not the time to trade Goligoski. Things are going well as are, and this talk about getting Malkin a winger to push us over-the-top is moot since we are about to get Staal back to play with Malkin (That, to me, is as good as any trade).

You wait until the off-season and see how Despres has developed and were he stands with the big club going into next year. Plus, we have to see were Engelland stands as well, as he has become our regular number six, being an unrestricted free agent next year (And I don't want to hear how Sneep, Strait or Bortozzo could step in, as they don't bring what Engelland brings to the team, toughness, plus one or a couple of those players might just be trade-bait in a said deal).

GeoffreyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

Quote:
To Pitt:
Andy Greene
David Clarkson

To NJD
Alex Goligoski
3rd Round pick

Done.

I like Clarkson's game a lot, and think he could fill the void left by Malone's absence on Malkin's line. I also think Greene is a pretty underrated defenseman, and would easily replace Gogo with Greene.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Pens don't have the cap space to make the Clarkson/Greene deal. Someone would need to go the other way with Gogo. A guy like Dupuis or a combination of Comrie, Godard or whoever could work. NJ may not want them, but they could just waive those guys when they get there. It's just about evening out the money anyway. I still can't see NJ/Pittsburgh making a deal together though, even if they may make decent trading partners.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:46 PM
mgd525

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffreyPaul View Post
A couple things. First, this talk about picking another 5th d on top of a winger that means a damn seems a lot easier said than done. But what I have failed to see from anyone in this thread that subscribes to the notion of bring said players in is how would these fantasy players fit under the cap considering we're talking about shedding just under 2 million in Goligoski for ?'s in cap space.

The other thing is that the only untouchables outside of the roster currently playing in Pittsburgh should be Despres and Bennett. And if a trade could be worked out were a guy like Iginla could come in, Beau could go as well.

But, as others have said, this is not the time to trade Goligoski. Things are going well as are, and this talk about getting Malkin a winger to push us over-the-top is moot since we are about to get Staal back to play with Malkin (That, to me, is as good as any trade).

You wait until the off-season and see how Despres has developed and were he stands with the big club going into next year. Plus, we have to see were Engelland stands as well, as he has become our regular number six, being an unrestricted free agent next year (And I don't want to hear how Sneep, Strait or Bortozzo could step in, as they don't bring what Engelland brings to the team, toughness, plus one or a couple of those players might just be trade-bait in a said deal).
Talking about how we are forgetting about the cap? Then you bring up Iginla's 7 mill dollar overpaid ass ? Hello ?

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:53 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Gogligoski for Paajarvi and Foster.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:54 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
*Goligoski

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Done.

I like Clarkson's game a lot, and think he could fill the void left by Malone's absence on Malkin's line. I also think Greene is a pretty underrated defenseman, and would easily replace Gogo with Greene.
Clarkson can't shine Malone's shoes offensively...Taters has 5 seasons significantly better than Clarkson's career high, for pete's sake.

People who'd support this type of deal either vastly underrate Goligoski's value or are so desperate for a possible winger solution that their judgment is clouded beyond reason. That's to say nothing of Clarkson's ghastly cap hit, and the fact that we'd probably lose Greene for nothing at the end of the year.

Sorry McGuirk, but that's terrible.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
To Pitt:
Andy Greene
David Clarkson

To NJD
Alex Goligoski
3rd Round pick

Eh, this is kind of adding more of what we already have. When we've already got wingers like Cooke, Dupuis, Asham, Kennedy, Rupp, Talbot, Adams, and even Kunitz, the last thing we need is to use a good asset (Goligoski) to add another 10 to 15 goal scorer with grit and physicality.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Clarkson (not too fond of Greene, but I guess he'd just be Gogo's replacement in the line up), but he's not exactly the big scoring winger that will rejuvenate Malkin's scoring touch.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 06:15 PM
BumFortyOne

I doubt the Penguins will trade Goligoski during this season, but there is probably a good chance he could be dealt in the offseason for a young winger. The Penguins would probably want to wait until the offseason because then they can either sign a #5 defenseman in free agency or otherwise leave the spot open for Depres if management thinks he'll be ready to step in.

If putting Staal and Malkin doesn't work well and management feels it's time to get Malkin someone to play with, it's possible that an offseason package of Staal+Goligoski would be available.

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Goligoski wouldn't even get you Paajarvi

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Except for shedding excess players it is more or less meaningless for the Pens to really consider deals this season at least until Staal is back and we see the consequences of him playing with Malkin.
If that works we're pretty much dynamite and can just wait it out and see what's available to top up at the deadline.

Beyond that the 22 year old current top scorer in the AHL could be given a chance to make a push for the team before we decide to make trades....

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote