HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT New Orleans? Memphis? Louisville? Salt Lake? Richmond, VA? Norfolk?

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
OT New Orleans? Memphis? Louisville? Salt Lake? Richmond, VA? Norfolk?

The NBA is about to abandon one of these markets? Other markets don't even have a pro sports presence, how would the NHL do? In New Orleans case, they only have NFL and NBA, why not bring NHL, that's still only Three?

Last edited by Melrose Munch: 12-05-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old
12-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Let's turn it around and ask "why" the NHL should do it.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Melrose Munch

IMO

Fugu, we are already in the south. We might as well go full speed ahead. The talent level is not dropping so we should be able to do this.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
IMO

Fugu, we are already in the south. We might as well go full speed ahead. The talent level is not dropping so we should be able to do this.

You don't feel that certain franchises need to be stabilized firstly before considering blasting ahead with a few more. I personally tend to think that's what made it tougher on some markets to get set up-- too many at once.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
17*

Richmond, as in Richmond, Virginia? That Richmond. I thought Richmond was a high rate crime town. If you want a team in Virginia, wouldn't a more affluent area like Virginia Beach, or down that way be more suitable? Anyway, I think Washington would claim territorial rights.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Salt Lake is the only one that could probably make it.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
The NBA is about to abandon one of these markets? Other markets don't even have a pro sports presence, how would the NHL do? In New Orleans case, they only have NFL and NBA, why not bring NHL, that's still only Three?
Since when is the NBA in Louisville, Richmond, or Norfolk?

But in response to your question; if the NBA abandoned Salt Lake City, I'd say by all means the NHL should see if there's a way to get a team there.

As for Norfolk or the Hampton Roads area, although the League doesn't really need another team in the east, that is probably the best eastern location open to the NHL, at least considering US locations.

In regards to those other options, I don't see any of them as being attractive or worth considering for the NHL.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:50 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Richmond, California? Too close to Oakland (and San Jose). (And there's a refinery; one reason why Pixar moved.)

Norfolk, VA? Has an AHL team. Have a friend who lives in Virginia, never had been to a game. How many colleges with NCAA Div I hockey are there in the state? Otherwise, where will the interest come from.

Louisville had an ECHL team like 10+ years ago. Miami (Ohio) may be the closest college. With the baseball bat plant there, I'd say it's more baseball oriented.

New Orleans had an ECHL team 10-15 years ago, IIRC.

Salt Lake has an ECHL team (they down graded from AHL due to lack of geographically close competitors). Closest colleges with hockey are in Colorado. And there's some CHL competition in the region.

Memphis -- isn't that far from Nashville. 200 or so miles. I don't know that territorially the league would be pushing for another franchise so close without a long history of sell outs and baffo ratings.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:56 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Why not put a team in Timbuktu? They don't have NFL, NBA or MLB so there would be no competition.

Timbuktu has made lasting contributions to world civilization and had one of the first universities in the world.

Sounds like a great fit for the NHL to me.

GHOST

Old
12-04-2010, 10:58 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Richmond, California? Too close to Oakland (and San Jose). (And there's a refinery; one reason why Pixar moved.)
Is there a Richmond, California, and specifically a Richmond, California with an NBA team? Hmmm, a geography lesson for me.

Quote:
Salt Lake has an ECHL team (they down graded from AHL due to lack of geographically close competitors). Closest colleges with hockey are in Colorado. And there's some CHL competition in the region.
Would that be an issue for an NHL team?

Old
12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Is there a Richmond, California, and specifically a Richmond, California with an NBA team? Hmmm, a geography lesson for me.
My extent of being in the state of Virginia is driving through an edge in 1972.

Richmond is 20 miles or so from Oakland, CA. (And Pittsburg is about 20ish miles from Oakland. But that's another story.)

Quote:
Would that be an issue for an NHL team?
Where are the fans? If there's no college with hockey, what's the source for fans? CHL may lose that franchise unless the cost is such that those who can't/don't want to pay NHL prices, might enjoy the lower level of hockey.

Old
12-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
Why not put a team in Timbuktu? They don't have NFL, NBA or MLB so there would be no competition.

Timbuktu has made lasting contributions to world civilization and had one of the first universities in the world.

Sounds like a great fit for the NHL to me.

GHOST
There's been a big push on these boards to move the Coyotes there, perhaps you haven't noticed.

I think that Cleveland would make a good spot. It's far enough from Columbus and there is already a very strong football rivalry with Pittsburgh which could play out onto the ice.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:16 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
I think that Cleveland would make a good spot. It's far enough from Columbus and there is already a very strong football rivalry with Pittsburgh which could play out onto the ice.
Center-center (by car), Cleveland is 143 miles from Columbus, 133 to Pittsburgh. 96 miles as the crow flies to Detroit == territory indemnification due to the Wings.

It's possible that depending on city boundaries, that Columbus and/or Pittsburgh may be owed territory indemnification as well.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Center-center (by car), Cleveland is 143 miles from Columbus, 133 to Pittsburgh. 96 miles as the crow flies to Detroit == territory indemnification due to the Wings.

It's possible that depending on city boundaries, that Columbus and/or Pittsburgh may be owed territory indemnification as well.
Cars can't drive where crows fly. Check out the google map directions from Cleveland to Detroit. It's 168 miles by car.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Old
12-05-2010, 12:28 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Cars can't drive where crows fly. Check out the google map directions from Cleveland to Detroit. It's 168 miles by car.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
True, but it's "crows fly" miles between city limits for territory overlap determination, even if it's mainly water and has international boundaries.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:52 AM
BoltSonian33

Quote:
Id love a NHL team in New Orleans, i really do.THe Louisiana Icegators did/do real well in attendance, but they werent/arent based in New Orleans but in Lafayette.
The average attendance there was 11000.
I really like that idea, but first of all theres a few locations which deserve a team before new orleans gets one.also i doubt that a nhl team would be able to succeed in new orleans in the long term.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
True, but it's "crows fly" miles between city limits for territory overlap determination, even if it's mainly water and has international boundaries.
Not that I really care about this thread but it should be noted that Cleveland paid no indemnification to Detroit the last go around....

Old
12-05-2010, 01:00 AM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

The NHL would be insane to expand now. Any league would. The NFL could justify going back to LA, but nobody and nothing else.

Old
12-05-2010, 01:08 AM
Et le But

Nobody shows up for the Hornets, warm climate with zero hockey history...how would the NHL possibly survive in New Orleans? I always use New Orleans as the "worst case" scenario for NHL expansion actually.

Old
12-05-2010, 01:13 AM
BoltSonian33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Nobody shows up for the Hornets, warm climate with zero hockey history...how would the NHL possibly survive in New Orleans? I always use New Orleans as the "worst case" scenario for NHL expansion actually.
unfortunatly youre probably right with new orleans being a worst case scenario for nhl expansion.

Old
12-05-2010, 01:29 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

yes two teams in tennessee is a wonderful idea.

all of these cities are very small to consider for non-traditional markets....most between 1-1.4 million.....if the NHL insists on establishing new beach heads there are much larger markets that will at least give them a fighting chance....houston, seattle, portland, san diego, san fransisco....

if cities of 1-1.5m people are in the mix for the NHL then i would think milwaukee, omaha, KC, OKC, indianapolis, hartford, rochester are all more appropriate.

Old
12-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Jeffrey93

These would all be 'experimental' markets. What the NHL needs now (more than ever) is stability. If ANY team should be moved it should go to a market where there is NO..I mean ABSOLUTELY no doubt that it will be fine for decades. None of these markets meet that requirement.

When you have a massive wound you don't fix it by trading it for another wound...you try to heal it.

If you put Phoenix in New Orleans....it will cost money and you very likely won't be any better off. If ANY team moves you have to move it to a location that you KNOW will work. Otherwise you (the NHL) haven't learned a thing from your (the NHL) mistakes.

Old
12-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
I'd rather have a team in Salt Lake City than Hamilton. Cold weather city, major sporting presence in the city is already there with the Jazz and Real Salt Lake, and it'd be a western locale, allowing a real eastern team like Nashville/Detroit/Chicago to move into a conference more suited to its timezone. Too bad the arena isn't suitable for an NHL tenant.

Old
12-05-2010, 02:39 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
I'd rather have a team in Salt Lake City than Hamilton. Cold weather city, major sporting presence in the city is already there with the Jazz and Real Salt Lake, and it'd be a western locale, allowing a real eastern team like Nashville/Detroit/Chicago to move into a conference more suited to its timezone. Too bad the arena isn't suitable for an NHL tenant.
You apparently don't realize that having an NBA team is likely a negative, not positive, factor in terms of a city the size of Salt Lake hosting an NHL franchise.

GHOST

Old
12-05-2010, 02:54 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
You apparently don't realize that having an NBA team is likely a negative, not positive, factor in terms of a city the size of Salt Lake hosting an NHL franchise.

GHOST
Any other "major league" is a negative.

Closed Thread