HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT New Orleans? Memphis? Louisville? Salt Lake? Richmond, VA? Norfolk?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
  #151
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,861
vCash: 500
How many hockey fans there would be in Houston?

They have the Toyota Center that was built to house both NBA and NHL, so the arena is covered. In the Houston case, only needs an owner.

Mathradio is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 04:38 PM
  #152
17*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
How many hockey fans there would be in Houston?

They have the Toyota Center that was built to house both NBA and NHL, so the arena is covered. In the Houston case, only needs an owner.
Same with KC, with the bonus being there is no NBA team to compete with, and fans may be chomping at the bit to support whatever comes to that arena.

17* is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 05:27 PM
  #153
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
How many hockey fans there would be in Houston?

They have the Toyota Center that was built to house both NBA and NHL, so the arena is covered. In the Houston case, only needs an owner.
They have an owner - Les Alexander - he just needs his on-again, off-again flirtation (attempt to buy/move the Oilers in '98, unsuccessful expansion bid, comments during the Lockout) to become on again.

Either Alexander owns the team, or they don't get to play in his Toyota Center and compete against his Rockets.

kdb209 is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 07:15 PM
  #154
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,337
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
I'll bet the Houston Colt 45's (Astros) and the Aeros were well established in Houston long before Les Alexander brought the NBA SAN DIEGO Rockets to Houston, kdb209

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 07:33 PM
  #155
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
I'll bet the Houston Colt 45's (Astros) and the Aeros were well established in Houston long before Les Alexander brought the NBA SAN DIEGO Rockets to Houston, kdb209
Actually, the Rockets move from San Diego predates the WHA Aeros - 1971.

And of course, that has absolutely no relevance to this discussion.

kdb209 is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 08:46 PM
  #156
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Well, as we're discussing, unless the NBA abandons a city or two, there really aren't that many realistic options, but there are more than just those two.

Portland
Houston
Seattle
Norfolk-Virginia Beach
Tulsa
Austin
Hartford
Louisville
Birmingham

And Kansas City apparently believes it can support another major league, since they built an arena for one.

Also, perhaps Omaha has sufficient size, but if so then barely.

That's 11 locations, though admittedly half of them seem like the NHL would be scraping the bottom of the barrel to put a team there.

EDIT: I better mention Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hamilton.... or someone is certainly likely to say that I forgot to include the Canadian cities.
They would.

The canadian cities...ha....

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
  #157
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,337
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Actually, the Rockets move from San Diego predates the WHA Aeros - 1971.

And of course, that has absolutely no relevance to this discussion.
yes it does, there's no hockey in San Diego

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 09:25 PM
  #158
Jeffrey93
Registered User
 
Jeffrey93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
yes it does, there's no hockey in San Diego
Houston was being discussed.

Jeffrey93 is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 09:28 PM
  #159
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,337
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
Houston was being discussed.
and Minnesota Sports (Wild) owns the market, doesn't it?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 09:31 PM
  #160
Jeffrey93
Registered User
 
Jeffrey93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
and Minnesota Sports (Wild) owns the market, doesn't it?
They own the market of Houston? Please explain Hutchy....

Jeffrey93 is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 09:44 PM
  #161
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
and Minnesota Sports (Wild) owns the market, doesn't it?
No, they don't.

The Wild have absolutely zero territorial rights to Houston.

They may vote against a relocation or expansion - but their's is only one vote out of 30.

kdb209 is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 10:01 PM
  #162
blueandgoldguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greg's River Heights
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
IMO bot those list are good. Indianapolis has 2.1 million people though, suld be good enuough for 3 three teams.
Wait a minute! First, you say on another thread that any city with under 2 million people should not have any pro sports teams. Yet, now a city with barely more than 2 million can have 3 teams. There is only so much money people can spend on entertainment in any given city regardless of size. The pie, being the peoples' entertainment dollar in a given city, doesn't expand when you add an additional entertainment option. IN this case a third pro team (hockey). The pie simply gets divided up into smaller pieces. BY doing this, it means you have smaller revenues for each slice of the pie (entertainment option) in that particular city.

I would think in a city like Indianapolis, where pro basketball is on life support, a hockey team would divide up the entertainment pie to the point where neither hockey nor basketball would survive.

Please explain your logic. How can a city of 2.1 million support 3 pro teams but a city of approx. 1 million shouldn't have one pro team.

blueandgoldguy is offline  
Old
12-09-2010, 11:21 PM
  #163
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,287
vCash: 500
why are you attacking me?

My opinion before was partially a suggestion. I was proven wrong. What else do you want?

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
12-10-2010, 07:36 AM
  #164
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 44,276
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 View Post
Same with KC, with the bonus being there is no NBA team to compete with, and fans may be chomping at the bit to support whatever comes to that arena.
With KC I worry about the same problem as Indianapolis -- too small of a city to support 3 sports.

In KC's case I think there is even less of a chance for the NHL to thrive as they currently have NFL and MLB, which both draw enormous attendance, and they don't strike me as a place where hockey would be a priority.

tarheelhockey is online now  
Old
12-10-2010, 08:09 AM
  #165
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
With KC I worry about the same problem as Indianapolis -- too small of a city to support 3 sports.

In KC's case I think there is even less of a chance for the NHL to thrive as they currently have NFL and MLB, which both draw enormous attendance, and they don't strike me as a place where hockey would be a priority.
Certainly true also when you look at the numbers, which I know, I'm the guy always talking the 'geography', because that's my area of interest... Having both the NFL and MLB is 'almost' the same as having an NBA team, because when one's Season ends (including the Playoffs), the other's is only a couple of months from beginning. And that's particularly important when were talking a city/metro area that's less that 2.5 million.

On the other hand, someone in Kansas City believed that KC could support the NBA or NHL since they did build the arena, but those leagues themselves may not be equally as confident. Kansas City is certainly not at the top of the cities I would put on my confidence list as a city that would support an NHL franchise.

MoreOrr is offline  
Old
12-10-2010, 09:47 AM
  #166
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,287
vCash: 500
KC did support all 4 at one point. Just keep that in mind.

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
  #167
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 44,276
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
KC did support all 4 at one point. Just keep that in mind.
You must be using the word "support" very loosely in regard to the Scouts. 2 seasons of sub-9000 attendance, followed by relocation, isn't much to hang your hat on.

tarheelhockey is online now  
Old
12-10-2010, 10:00 AM
  #168
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
KC did support all 4 at one point. Just keep that in mind.
Ahh, the fact that those teams aren't there now is the evidence that KC didn't in fact support 4 nor 3.

MoreOrr is offline  
Old
12-10-2010, 12:05 PM
  #169
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,287
vCash: 500
You guys are right, it was wek support, but it did happen. And to back up Tarheel hockey there was a report that KC's GDP was not big enough to support three teams.

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
  #170
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,337
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
No, they don't.

The Wild have absolutely zero territorial rights to Houston.

They may vote against a relocation or expansion - but their's is only one vote out of 30.
which is the exact argument against Hamilton, kdb

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 02:56 AM
  #171
Jeffrey93
Registered User
 
Jeffrey93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
which is the exact argument against Hamilton, kdb
But Hutchy!! That's also the exact same argument Kansas City has going against it!!! And Las Vegas....and Seattle! Portland! Saskatoon! Quebec City! Sydney Australia! Moskow, etc, etc.

I'm so glad you uncovered this and, as always, said something relevant!! You really keep me in touch with the topic being discussed Hutch.....I'm not sure what I would do without you!!

Jeffrey93 is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 09:29 AM
  #172
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
But Hutchy!! That's also the exact same argument Kansas City has going against it!!! And Las Vegas....and Seattle! Portland! Saskatoon! Quebec City! Sydney Australia! Moskow, etc, etc.

I'm so glad you uncovered this and, as always, said something relevant!! You really keep me in touch with the topic being discussed Hutch.....I'm not sure what I would do without you!!

Melrose Munch is offline  
Old
12-11-2010, 09:36 AM
  #173
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 16,337
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
But Hutchy!! That's also the exact same argument Kansas City has going against it!!! And Las Vegas....and Seattle! Portland! Saskatoon! Quebec City! Sydney Australia! Moskow, etc, etc.

I'm so glad you uncovered this and, as always, said something relevant!! You really keep me in touch with the topic being discussed Hutch.....I'm not sure what I would do without you!!
YOU'RE REACHING, Jeffrey

KC: Conflict of Interest (AEG/LA Kings)

LV: Gaming/betting on NHL;

SEA: STATE anti-business for arena;

POR, OR: Competition w/Blazers/arena;

SASKATOON, AFTER the Blues failed transfer, and the success of the Blades, think, Jeffrey, Purina sold what is now ScottTrade Center;

QC: Patrick Roy, enough said/arena/finances....

you're failing to realize AEG, just like Global Spectrum (Spectacor) constructs arenas, or owns existing franchises, or holds managing rights to buildings, doesn't mean they're places to bring the NHL to.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
12-13-2010, 08:15 AM
  #174
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,198
vCash: 500
New Orleans - As a native Cajun with French Canadian roots - Hockey won't work there. As others have said - it's too poor, too corrupt. Even though the Saints are riding high - they played to thousands of empty seats for decades and I can't tell you how many times they threatened to pack up and move. It's only from the direct intervention of Paul Tagliabue that there isn't the San Antonio Saints. It's not really even a sports town - drinking, eating, music, etc. Not sports.

Louisville- only about 3 hours drive from both Nashville and Columbus. I would think that a mid-sized market like that would be served by both those teams in some capacity.

Richmond - a short drive to DC, less than 3 hours to Raleigh.

Memphis - Served by Nashville - a smaller version of New Orleans.

SLC - if the NBA ever leaves - the NHL should announce an expansion team the next day.

Of the cities not on the list - Winnepeg would by my #1, Houston #2.

RaiderDoug is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
  #175
JMROWE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
New Orleans - Won't work because New Orleans is a Basketball & Football town & know one down there cares let lone knows anything about hockey.

Memphis -Won't work because Memphis is a college town plain & simple when it comes to sports just ask the Grizzlies that they are having a tough time competeing with the college sports .

Louisville - The same as Memphis it is a college town & the NHL. won't work there .

Salt Lake City - Might have the best shot out of the lot listed here to land an NHL. team because the market is the there all they need is an owner & maybe a new arena .

Richmond & Norfolk VA. - They might have problem with teritory rights because thoses 2 cities are right in between Washington & Raleigh & plus thoses cities are again college towns & might not work .

The thing is the NHL. would probley want to go to a low risk or sure thing market right now considering that most of the sunbelt teams plus the Islanders & Blue Jackets are on the verge of ethier folding or relocating . That is why I do not think any of those cites are on the NHL. rader they are just to high risk with exception of Salt Lake City & here is a list of the most likely cities to get an NHL. team .

1. Hamilton
2. Kansas City
3. Winnipeg
4. Portland
5 Quebec City
6. Salt Lake City

JMROWE is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.