HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KINGS vs. WINGS - 12/04/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
12-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Cruel11
Maximoff

vCash: 500
Very good numbers. Wow, DD played a lot.

Quote:
– Anze Kopitar had a game-high nine shots on goal, the most shots on goal for any Kings player this season (Justin Williams had eight on Nov. 15 against San Jose). Matt Greene was credited with a game-high seven hits and Jack Johnson was credited with a game-high four blocked shots.

– The Kings won 40 of 62 faceoffs (65 percent). Jarret Stoll won 14 of 21 draws (67 percent) and Michal Handzus won 12 of 18 draws (67 percent).

– Drew Doughty played a career-high 30 minutes, 41 seconds. Anze Kopitar led all Kings forwards in ice time at 24:06.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I thought about the Johnson issue and I put myself in his parent's situation. My son is playing for the Wings. The game is in Detroit. Do I wear a Kings' jersey? Yes. I am that intense of a fan, many of you are as well. That doesn't take away from my love for my son and that type of rivalry is actually quite healthy. I just needed a night to wrap my head around it.

Oh and JT, I actually had a friend come up to me and tell me about his family being there in Wings colors / jersey, etc but since I didn't see it with my own eyes, I did write "allegedly" in the post.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 12-05-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: last part not needed
Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 06:59 PM
BamBam1031

Not me. If my son's playing for the Wings, I'm wearing his Red Wings jersey when I'm visiting him in Detroit. As long as he's on the Wings, I'm a Red Wings fan. Blood being thicker than water and all, I'll always be a fan of my son before anything else.

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Great game, awesome ending.

Quick has played steller this season . . .

Onto Calgary!

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:01 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I thought about the Johnson issue and I put myself in his parent's situation. My son is playing for the Wings. The game is in Detroit. Do I wear a Kings' jersey? Yes. I am that intense of a fan, many of you are as well. That doesn't take away from my love for my son and that type of rivalry is actually quite healthy. I just needed a night to wrap my head around it.

Oh and JT, I actually had a friend come up to me and tell me about his family being there in Wings colors / jersey, etc but since I didn't see it with my own eyes, I did write "allegedly" in the post.
So... basically we spent 2 pages debating the merits of a player's family wearing an opposing teams jersey because someone told someone that the family "allegedly" did this?

Although I see how this can be fun, especially on the internet.

Allegedly, Quick hates all native French speakers and thinks they all smell funny.

Did I do it right?

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:07 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam1031 View Post
Not me. If my son's playing for the Wings, I'm wearing his Red Wings jersey when I'm visiting him in Detroit. As long as he's on the Wings, I'm a Red Wings fan. Blood being thicker than water and all, I'll always be a fan of my son before anything else.
This. I guess there aren't that many parents on these boards. I don't see how you could NOT put your son or daughter before the team that you love.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:08 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam1031 View Post
so terry murray should be a sens fan cause his brother is a gm there? blood thicker than water and all....

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:41 PM
BamBam1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
so terry murray should be a sens fan cause his brother is a gm there? blood thicker than water and all....
Wow, an apples and oranges comparison as a "comeback" to a statement of personal priorities? Rock on.

Anyways, wasn't this thread about the Kings-Wings game? We're drifting....

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can't stress how excited I am for Martinez. He looks like he's starting to 'get it' compared to his short stint at the beginning last season (though admittedly, what are you gonna do with a bum ankle and Randy Jones as a D-partner?).

He's very physical for his size (took down Zetterberg and Bertuzzi), and that play in overtime really highlighted his skating ability...he jumped into the rush so quickly, and it's not like they were playing 4-on-4 vs. some chumps.

Cheers to Martinez for creating some difficult decisions for management. I hope he keeps up this level of play and proves he belongs in the NHL. Dude has definitely paid his dues.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I can't stress how excited I am for Martinez. He looks like he's starting to 'get it' compared to his short stint at the beginning last season (though admittedly, what are you gonna do with a bum ankle and Randy Jones as a D-partner?).

He's very physical for his size (took down Zetterberg and Bertuzzi), and that play in overtime really highlighted his skating ability...he jumped into the rush so quickly, and it's not like they were playing 4-on-4 vs. some chumps.

Cheers to Martinez for creating some difficult decisions for management. I hope he keeps up this level of play and proves he belongs in the NHL. Dude has definitely paid his dues.
The fact he has paid those dues makes this more special. He was awful last season. Looked like a boy among men. He still looks like a kid, but a far more mature one. Still though, it is way too early to anoint him as anything. Consistency means everything.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Zad,

I think it was disrespectful for the Johnson family to wear Wings gear at Staples Center. The Johnson family are big Wings fans but for this particular game they could have worn street clothes or their sons uniforms from Team USA or UM.

There is still some bad blood going on here, but the fact remains their son is a member of the LA Kings and despite what was said last year, the Kings are still his employer and have made him a wealthy man.

The Kings and Wings play four times a year, I don't think it's to much to ask for them to tone down their support of the Wings for those four games.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 08:49 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Zad,

I think it was disrespectful for the Johnson family to wear Wings gear at Staples Center. The Johnson family are big Wings fans but for this particular game they could have worn street clothes or their sons uniforms from Team USA or UM.

There is still some bad blood going on here, but the fact remains their son is a member of the LA Kings and despite what was said last year, the Kings are still his employer and have made him a wealthy man.

The Kings and Wings play four times a year, I don't think it's to much to ask for them to tone down their support of the Wings for those four games.
The Johnson family... I have personally witnessed Mr. Johnson dancing (appearing quite intoxicated) in the aisles on numerous occasions at Michigan hockey games... To imply common sense or respect for anything goes against any pre-existing evidence. They have always come across as "out of touch" so something like this wouldn't suprise me at all...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Burek

I'm sure Jack understands that his family are huge Red Wings fans and appropriately gave them a hard time after the game. In friendly, family fashion, of course.

Burek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Zad,

If the Ducks offered me a job somewhere in the NHL, I would likely accept, just to be in the NHL (depending on the job of course, I wouldn't be a custodian ), but it doesn't mean they bought my soul and I would become a Ducks fan. I would do my job, and I wouldn't walk around disrespecting the team, but on my time off, I would be sitting in the stands with my Kings jersey on cheering my team on when they come to the Honda Center.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Bernier's parents > Johnson's parents
I'm gonna put this on my next jersey.

If JJ's parents actually wore wings gear inside Staples, if I was JJ, that would kinda **** me off.

Likewise if they wore it at Joe Louis. It's not like the wings are a struggling team in need of fans. And even if they were, he's your son - support him and his team before whomever else. This really isn't that difficult.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:14 AM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Well...the Kings are 1-7-0 now when I have to walk to the (Salvation Army) corps for my bell ringing assignment...and 2-0-0 on my scheduled days off...

Compare this to last year's 9-0-1 when I could take the bus to my spot and wait for the kettle to arrive...and the 1-2-1 record on my days off... This was for the entire kettle season...mind you...

Can I still say that my corps is bad luck after this last win???

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

I'm glad the Kings beat a team that's only lost 4 times in regulation over 24 games.

(Kings also have the lowest # of goals allowed in the conference.)

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

First of all, I'd like to say I come in peace. I'm a Wings fan, but the Kings are my second favorite team.

What a great game that was. The Kings dominated the Wings in the faceoff circle, which doesn't happen often. And frankly I loved how the Kings hitting style brought that out in a few of the Wings players. Normally if a team isn't physical the Wings are happy not to play that way either, at least until playoff time.

And I honestly dont know much about Martinez, but he sure looked promising that game. It was his decision to jump into the play and his speed that basically forced Lidstrom to cover him as a potential shooter, leaving Kopitar wide open.

I wish the outcome had been different, but I can't complain too much with the Wings picking up most of the points on that road trip and still getting a point when they were basically outworked by the Kings most of the game.

And hopefully the Kings are out of their losing skid.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Taylor18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I'm glad the Kings beat a team that's only lost 4 times in regulation over 24 games.

(Kings also have the lowest # of goals allowed in the conference.)

Kings currently 5th in entire league in GA.

GF
Last year Kings finished 9th in league (2.82) 231 GF
This year Kings currently in 18th (2.64), 216 GF projected on current pace.
Kings will score 15 goals less than they did last year based on current pace.
Last year, the difference between 9th and 18th (GF) was only 14 goals.

GA
Last year Kings finished 9th in league (2.57) 211 GA
This year Kings currently in 5th (2.44), 200 GA projected on current pace.
Kings will improve GA by 11 goals based on current pace.

Kings aren’t far off from where they were last year when taking into consideration the improvement in goals against. Offense is still a concern.

Goal production (this season) - early
JW is obviously the biggest improvement (matched this goal production already), followed by DB and JS. AK is basically back on pace. RS a small drop, but that could be made up for if plays more games than last year. Not bad, they just need someone else to come in and be productive. Health is concern and I guess it always is, so depth would be something I would want to see as well.

3rd line (MH, WS, AP) based on current pace could have a significant loss in goals compared to last year. AP didn’t play last year so had to use AF as the comparison.

SP (injured) missed most of the games this year so there is loss there if someone can’t match his production.

Didn’t really look at 4th line, but guessing by the year’s end there won’t be any significant difference either way.

Another potential loss in goals (based on current pace) is coming from the blueline. I expect this won’t continue (not at this pace), but before the season started I did see this as a potential area where goal production could easily slip. Last year DD, JJ, and RJ accounted for 29 goals.

Taylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote