HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regarding Brandon Prust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2010, 08:28 PM
  #1
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Regarding Brandon Prust

Just a serious question to you Flames fans, no trolling:

Why exactly did the Flames trade Prust twice? He's been nothing short of amazing for the Rangers ever since he arrived in New York.

Were there shortcomings in his game that he's overcome in New York? Or just bad asset management?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 08:31 PM
  #2
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,871
vCash: 50
Well the first time we were getting Jokinen, so it wasn't any big deal to let go of him for a supposed number-one centerman. Not sure about the second time though.

To be honest we have a lot of guys who can fill bottom six roles like Prust can. I'm glad he's playing well, but I'm not exactly lamenting him as one that got away either.

Plus he was injured probably about half the time he was here.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
  #3
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 734
Probably because he was in demand, a high energy role player that while a throw in can actually make a difference now and then.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 09:47 PM
  #4
GototheFlamestotheGo
Registered User
 
GototheFlamestotheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Poor asset management. Personally, I love what Prust brings to the table. His passion, his work ethic, his "i'll take on anybody" attitude. Yes, he's only a fourth liner but I'd much rather have him at a bargain bin price over Jokinen who is getting 3 million to score about as much as Prust.

The first time we traded him, I got it. We thought Jokinen was a top center. But after that experiment failed, we still stuck with Jokinen and shipped off Prust. Honestly, I'd love to have Prust back on this team. Especially over Jokinen and his 3 million cap hit.

GototheFlamestotheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
  #5
Pilkington
Registered User
 
Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Just a serious question to you Flames fans, no trolling:

Why exactly did the Flames trade Prust twice? He's been nothing short of amazing for the Rangers ever since he arrived in New York.

Were there shortcomings in his game that he's overcome in New York? Or just bad asset management?
Our GM is an even bigger clown than yours.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
  #6
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilkington View Post
Our GM is an even bigger clown than yours.
Agree

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
  #7
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilkington View Post
Our GM is an even bigger clown than yours.
Now that is a tough feat... being more of a clown than Sather

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:13 AM
  #8
Wags
Registered User
 
Wags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Now that is a tough feat... being more of a clown than Sather
Yet it has been accomplished...go figure

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:24 AM
  #9
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 50
Because Prust is a dime a dozen grinder. The Flames have guys like Jackman and Glencross who can do what Prust does and they do it better.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:40 AM
  #10
Pilkington
Registered User
 
Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Because Prust is a dime a dozen grinder. The Flames have guys like Jackman and Glencross who can do what Prust does and they do it better.
I disagree with everything you just said.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:46 AM
  #11
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside
 
TheDoctor10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Because Prust is a dime a dozen grinder. The Flames have guys like Jackman and Glencross who can do what Prust does and they do it better.
1. Glencross doesn't do what Prust does.

2. Jackman is very good at filling a similar role, and I would've loved to have seen a line of Nystrom/Jackman/Prust to bang and crash and draw one or two penalties a game, but for some reason Olli Jokinen was a better use of the 3M it would've cost us to retain those three.

Truthfully, we do have a bunch of guys in the system who fill similar roles to Prust. Though it begs the question why we sign a guy like Jackman and trade for Kostopolous when our farm system is literally comprised of nothing but 4th line grinders with 4 foot ceilings. I'm gonna go with 'our GM is a clown', it seems to be a reasonable answer.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 08:53 AM
  #12
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Prust was expendable because guys like him are a dime a dozen and almost ever similar player in the league also gets traded alot because they are cheap servicable throw ins who never get log term contracts... and if they walk after who cares because you always have 2 or 3 more in the system

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:22 AM
  #13
getoverit
Registered User
 
getoverit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
X 2 Having said that I liked Prust and what he brought, he wasnt a gifted fighter by any means but he would step up to anyone, wasnt always pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
1. Glencross doesn't do what Prust does.

2. Jackman is very good at filling a similar role, and I would've loved to have seen a line of Nystrom/Jackman/Prust to bang and crash and draw one or two penalties a game, but for some reason Olli Jokinen was a better use of the 3M it would've cost us to retain those three.

Truthfully, we do have a bunch of guys in the system who fill similar roles to Prust. Though it begs the question why we sign a guy like Jackman and trade for Kostopolous when our farm system is literally comprised of nothing but 4th line grinders with 4 foot ceilings. I'm gonna go with 'our GM is a clown', it seems to be a reasonable answer.

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:54 AM
  #14
Pilkington
Registered User
 
Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Not a gifted fighter? A dime a dozen player?

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:07 AM
  #15
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilkington View Post
Not a gifted fighter? A dime a dozen player?
Yup I have to agree. Prust is pound for pound one of the best fighters in the league. Sutter was an idiot to let him go the second time. But I also agree with others Jackman is just as effective and he's been great for us. Though having a guy who can fight like Prust is a huge bonus that I really miss.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:38 AM
  #16
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 734
Prust may have been a dime a dozen when you consider skill set, no question, but he brought it almost every game, wore his heart on his sleeve, and went balls out for the team almost every time he hit the ice.

IMO, letting someone like Prust go (twice, no less) is the crux of the problem with the team, the culture, and the management.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
  #17
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Prust may have been a dime a dozen when you consider skill set, no question, but he brought it almost every game, wore his heart on his sleeve, and went balls out for the team almost every time he hit the ice.

IMO, letting someone like Prust go (twice, no less) is the crux of the problem with the team, the culture, and the management.
I disagree... I would argue most players with Prust's skill set bring it almost every game... they have to or there would be 2 or 3 guys waiting in the wings to steal their spot... that's why a teams grinders are their fan favorites and 'heart and soul' players... because if they don't lay it all on the table every single night they won't have a job because they lack the other skills needed to guarantee a job

I think the biggest problem the management has caused this team is the significant turnover every single year... you wonder why the players seem to lack confidence?... maybe its because they aren't sure if they will be part of the 2/5 of the team Sutter turns over in the next 12 months

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
  #18
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker
 
superhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Prust may have been a dime a dozen when you consider skill set, no question, but he brought it almost every game, wore his heart on his sleeve, and went balls out for the team almost every time he hit the ice.

IMO, letting someone like Prust go (twice, no less) is the crux of the problem with the team, the culture, and the management.
I agree. Guys like that shouldnt be considered expendable. Especially when it only cost 600k to keep him. Say what you want about dime a dozen guys but there were many nights last season when our 4th line of Nystrom-Prustrom-Sjostrom was our best line on the ice.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
  #19
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
I agree. Guys like that shouldnt be considered expendable. Especially when it only cost 600k to keep him. Say what you want about dime a dozen guys but there were many nights last season when our 4th line of Nystrom-Prustrom-Sjostrom was our best line on the ice.
if by many nights you mean a few weeks in October then yeah you are right

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:03 PM
  #20
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I disagree... I would argue most players with Prust's skill set bring it almost every game... they have to or there would be 2 or 3 guys waiting in the wings to steal their spot... that's why a teams grinders are their fan favorites and 'heart and soul' players... because if they don't lay it all on the table every single night they won't have a job because they lack the other skills needed to guarantee a job
That's just it though - there are players that have to bring it nightly, but can't. Then there are the players like Prust who have to bring it nightly, and can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I think the biggest problem the management has caused this team is the significant turnover every single year... you wonder why the players seem to lack confidence?... maybe its because they aren't sure if they will be part of the 2/5 of the team Sutter turns over in the next 12 months
I agree - I've been saying this for quite some time now. That's solely on the guy holding the reins and if he could build a half decent team in the first place, the yearly turnover wouldn't be necessary...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
  #21
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker
 
superhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
That's just it though - there are players that have to bring it nightly, but can't. Then there are the players like Prust who have to bring it nightly, and can.
Not to mention Prust currently has as many points as Jokinen with twice the effort at roughly a 5th of the salary.

It just doesnt make sense to get rid of effective contributers to the team, no matter what role they play.

He brought energy every game, and on nights in which the top lines would be hemmed in there zone, the 4th line would come out and dominate a shift, changing the momentum.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:04 PM
  #22
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 50
His effort was amazing, but aside from that, he was nothing more than a fourth liner. Glad he's had more success with the Rangers though.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:12 PM
  #23
Pilkington
Registered User
 
Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
I'm guessing most people here don't watch the Eastern Conference at all.

Prust this season is on pace for 10 goals and 30 points.

He's a regular on the penalty kill (ranking 4th among Ranger forwards in shorthanded time on ice).

He has 2 shorthanded goals and 2 shorthanded assists. His 4 shorthanded points are tied for the league lead.

He leads the NHL in fighting majors with 10, owning a 7-2-1 record according to hockeyfights.com.

Dime a dozen player?

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:20 PM
  #24
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilkington View Post

Dime a dozen player?
For us, he was a dime a dozen player, aside from his effort. He's had an awesome start, but I wouldn't count on him keeping that pace up. Hope he does though.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:49 PM
  #25
Pilkington
Registered User
 
Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
For us, he was a dime a dozen player, aside from his effort. He's had an awesome start, but I wouldn't count on him keeping that pace up. Hope he does though.
The potential to do what he is doing now and more was clearly there when he was with the Flames. He should have been here as part of the "new" Flames rather than having all the young drafted players traded for mediocre veterans.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.