HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Bobby Butler (down again dec 11th)

Old
12-05-2010, 03:42 PM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
Benching Regin? WTF, he was good last night, you move him to the 3rd line, but benching him? Do we have a coach making bad decisions right now or what.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Quantas

Foligno, Shannon, Ruutu, or even Winchester...they should all come out before Regin.

If Clouston is seriously sitting Regin to "minimize disruption to 4 lines" (as per Mendes) I'm starting to question his qualifications as head coach.

Quantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:54 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Benching Regin? WTF, he was good last night, you move him to the 3rd line, but benching him? Do we have a coach making bad decisions right now or what.
Shannon and Foligno can do no wrong.

MainDotC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Stassino

IMO .. Cory is upset with him over thinking things, just taking too much time and trying to make things look pretty...
Benching rookies and sophmores usually pays dividends in situations like these..

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
IMO .. Cory is upset with him over thinking things, just taking too much time and trying to make things look pretty...
Then what the hell is he doing about Spezza?

Alex The Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Are people still up in arms about Clouston benching Regin for a game?

Do some you people have nothing else to do with your Sundays?

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 06:41 AM
SENSfreak_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post

yes, how dare there be differing views on a message board.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:07 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
Shannon and Foligno can do no wrong.
Really? Shannon has been the whipping boy this year. Least amount of ice time of all forwards, solid 4th line duty, :05 of time in the 3rd period vs the Pens, no PP, and very limited time on one of the top two lines during 2nd periods of some games. And he has produced somewhat with limited time.

Foligno on the other has the public backing of GM, can do no wrong, lots of ice time, had his shot on the 2nd line, can't skate, has had PP time and has not produced.

Just a reality check.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Alfredsson11

Quote:

I understand the decsion, however I was disappointed.

If Regin sits out next game, Ill be mad. Should be someone elses turn, more accountability across team.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:17 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post

If Regin sits out next game, Ill be mad. Should be someone elses turn, more accountability across team.
Who comes out then based on accountability? Not any of the other top 5 - they are paid way too much and for that reason they won't sit.

CC is not going to disturb the RKN line. Shannon and Winnie has been holding their own IMO. Looks like there is only one choice left......Foligno......and I doubt BM lets that happen.

Regin on the top line has not produced, and that is what this business is all about at the end of the day. We'll see.

Old
12-06-2010, 09:27 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:

It's hfboards, hockey knowledge takes a back seat to younger players. It was an obvious move, Regin had been holding his stick too tight and making a lot of little mistakes, getting frustrated. Especially in the Buffalo game. A second-year NHL player, scratching him is a common sense move, much like Ottawa scratching Karlsson earlier, Montreal scratching Subban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post

Okay, who should sit then with your version of accountability? Foligno, Shannon, Ruutu and Neil all had solid games, so can't say any of them.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:31 AM
operasen

Give Michlalek a day or to to rest his knee, then give Kovalev a couple of games, then Alfie....that should expose Foligno, Shannon and some others.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:32 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
It's hfboards, hockey knowledge takes a back seat to younger players. It was an obvious move, Regin had been holding his stick too tight and making a lot of little mistakes, getting frustrated. Especially in the Buffalo game. A second-year NHL player, scratching him is a common sense move, much like Ottawa scratching Karlsson earlier, Montreal scratching Subban.

Okay, who should sit then with your version of accountability? Foligno, Shannon, Ruutu and Neil all had solid games, so can't say any of them.
Ruutu deserves a game in the press box as much as anyone, he has not been very good this year.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:35 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Ruutu deserves a game in the press box as much as anyone, he has not been very good this year.
He had one of his best games of the year against the Rangers, and set up the game winning goal. He was actually pissing people off to, like old times.

How many guys have ever been benched after setting up the game-winning goal the game before?

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:38 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Up until his game winning goal assist last night, I agree, but I like I said earlier, that line won't be changed again.

Old
12-06-2010, 09:39 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
He had one of his best games of the year against the Rangers, and set up the game winning goal. He was actually pissing people off to, like old times.

How many guys have ever been benched after setting up the game-winning goal the game before?
I don't know and neither do I care. He hasn't been great this season and made a very stupid play late in the game last night. I don't know how the refs missed that blatant dive after the whistle which could have been very costly. Im not saying he should sit next game, but IMO hes next in line.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:40 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Give Michlalek a day or to to rest his knee, then give Kovalev a couple of games, then Alfie....that should expose Foligno, Shannon and some others.
Foligno has already been exposed.

Old
12-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
Who comes out then based on accountability? Not any of the other top 5 - they are paid way too much and for that reason they won't sit.

CC is not going to disturb the RKN line. Shannon and Winnie has been holding their own IMO. Looks like there is only one choice left......Foligno......and I doubt BM lets that happen.

Regin on the top line has not produced, and that is what this business is all about at the end of the day. We'll see.
Using that logic then Foligno would be the right guy to sit, demoted from the 1st line thru to the fourth, hasn't produced squat.

While I appreciate a coach sitting a player who is struggling, letting them watch and learn, Regin was the last player deserving of this treatment. While he hasn't been scoring, Regin has been one of the hardest working players on the Sens.

However if this motivates Regin to work even harder, great.

The one thing I find extremely humorous is Clouston's rationale for the change "We're trying to keep some consistency in the lineup", damn he changes the lines every game, and 4/5 times during a game.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:28 AM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Using that logic then Foligno would be the right guy to sit, demoted from the 1st line thru to the fourth, hasn't produced squat.

While I appreciate a coach sitting a player who is struggling, letting them watch and learn, Regin was the last player deserving of this treatment. While he hasn't been scoring, Regin has been one of the hardest working players on the Sens.

However if this motivates Regin to work even harder, great.

The one thing I find extremely humorous is Clouston's rationale for the change "We're trying to keep some consistency in the lineup", damn he changes the lines every game, and 4/5 times during a game.
It's not logic. It is reality. And yes, Foligno should be the one sitting, I agree.

Old
12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I would prefer it if they do keep Butler in Ottawa & sit Shannon. He is too small, too soft & with his skill set he needs to produce consistently like Gionta does to stay in the lineup IMO. He does some good things but if he isn't putting points on the board than that spot should be going to Butler, I think he can produce points at the NHL level.

Michalek - Spezza - Butler
Foligno - Fisher - Alfredson
Regin - Kelly - Kovalev
Ruutu - Winchester - Neil/Shannon

Kuba - Gonchar
Phillips - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner/Lee

Elliott - Leclaire

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:10 PM
mianjo

Taken from the Bingo thread

Quote:
Kleinendorst said he sees new top line as Z. Smith-Locke-Condra, but that could change. Doesn't expect Butler back soon, if ever.

He said it wasn't an emergency recall and that Butler looked really comfortable last night, so he's not counting on anything

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

I don't think Butler should be on the top line. Not yet anyways. And what about switching Spezza with Kelly? We might as well see if Kelly can continue to be hot, and Spezza has been ****ing useless

Old
12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Anca18

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Loyal View Post
I don't think Butler should be on the top line. Not yet anyways. And what about switching Spezza with Kelly? We might as well see if Kelly can continue to be hot, and Spezza has been ****ing useless
Honestly, this is all I got...

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker5123 View Post
Honestly, this is all I got...
Aw

Old
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I would prefer it if they do keep Butler in Ottawa & sit Shannon. He is too small, too soft & with his skill set he needs to produce consistently like Gionta does to stay in the lineup IMO. He does some good things but if he isn't putting points on the board
How many points do you want the guy to put up playing 8:46 a night with no PP time?

He rang one of the post last night. He is a nice scoring threat from the 4th line.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote