HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Butler (down again dec 11th)

Old
12-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Anca18

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex The Loyal View Post
Aw
I agree with you on Butler not being top line material...yet..., but why would CC want to mess with a winning line up? And just because Chris "Wood-Hands" Kelly got a hat trick doesn't mean you're going to suddenly bump him to the 1st line. Kelly got the hat trick while playing on the 3rd line, so it would be only natural to keep him on that line, never mess with chemistry.

Spezza has not been ****ing useless, and you really need to stop trashing on him. Spezza is the most talented player on this team...

Last edited by Anca18: 12-06-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:41 PM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker5123 View Post
I agree with you on Butler not being top line material...yet..., but why would CC want to mess with a winning line up? And just because Chris "Wood-Hands" Kelly got a hat trick doesn't mean you're going to suddenly bump him to the 1st line. Kelly got the hat trick while playing on the 3rd line, so it would be only natural to keep him on that line, never mess with chemistry.

Spezza has not been ****ing useless, and you really need to stop trashing on him. Spezza is the most talented player on this team...
How come you don't think Butler isn't top line material yet? He was great until we took all those penalties in a row, then the rhythm of the game changed. Clouston said he hit a bit of a wall, I would say the pace of the game hit the brick wall for us. I think he fit in there like a glove.

The only issue is that he's a righty and he's playing his off-wing. Perhaps it should be Kovalev playing his off-wing on LW with Spezza and Butler going to the right side (with Alfie moving down with Fisher unfortunately).

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Anca18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
How come you don't think Butler isn't top line material yet? He was great until we took all those penalties in a row, then the rhythm of the game changed. Clouston said he hit a bit of a wall, I would say the pace of the game hit the brick wall for us. I think he fit in there like a glove.

The only issue is that he's a righty and he's playing his off-wing. Perhaps it should be Kovalev playing his off-wing on LW with Spezza and Butler going to the right side (with Alfie moving down with Fisher unfortunately).
I just don't want to put that much pressure on him yet, he is defiantly top 6, and he can play on the 1st. I just really don't want to pressure him too much. That's another reason(bolded) I don't think he should play 1st line. Not very versatile yet either.

Old
12-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Minister of Offence

In a stretch where we've struggled to create offense, Bobby Butler had a scoring chance. Probably consider it a successful debut and worth another luck.

If winning now is the priority then he's gotta stay up here until he quits getting chances.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:55 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

I was actually quite surprised and happy to see Butler get some quality minutes. Kudos to Clouston for giving him an actual shot.
I didn't think he meshed that well with Spezza and Alfie though. Maybe it's the fact that all three of them are right-handed shots. The chemistry may be a little trickier.
Also, he gets bounced around a bit and needs someone to help open up some space. Alfie and Spezza aren't going to create as much room for him as Fish or Michalek.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Minister of Offence

With Kovalev out Butler might be an adequate replacement and for much cheaper, this is an example of how it takes time to make up for years of draft failings and losing star players.

Old
12-06-2010, 02:49 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I would prefer it if they do keep Butler in Ottawa & sit Shannon. He is too small, too soft & with his skill set he needs to produce consistently like Gionta does to stay in the lineup IMO. He does some good things but if he isn't putting points on the board than that spot should be going to Butler, I think he can produce points at the NHL level.

Michalek - Spezza - Butler
Foligno - Fisher - Alfredson
Regin - Kelly - Kovalev
Ruutu - Winchester - Neil/Shannon

Kuba - Gonchar
Phillips - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner/Lee

Elliott - Leclaire
Gionta gets almost 24 shifts and almost 19 minutes of ice time a game. He better produce. Give Shannon the ice time Foligno was getting and he'd produce more.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
Gionta gets almost 24 shifts and almost 19 minutes of ice time a game. He better produce. Give Shannon the ice time Foligno was getting and he'd produce more.
Or the tougher opposition he'd face playing alongside our best players would hurt him night in night out. Your point is valid though, Shannon's where he should be and he does fine there.

Old
12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
benjiv1

Michalek Spezza Butler (Butler gets to play his natural hand, plus Michalek can stand out front)
Foligno Regin Kovalev (this line had mad chemistry in pre-season)
Kelly Fisher Alfredsson (I think we've seen this line once or twice so far)
Ruutu Winchester Neil (Good fourth energy line)

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Michalek Spezza Butler (Butler gets to play his natural hand, plus Michalek can stand out front)
Foligno Regin Kovalev (this line had mad chemistry in pre-season)
Kelly Fisher Alfredsson (I think we've seen this line once or twice so far)
Ruutu Winchester Neil (Good fourth energy line)
I think we're leaving Spezza out to dry on that one. Might as well put Butler on his off wing and put Michalek where he actually prefers to play.

Old
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker5123 View Post
I just don't want to put that much pressure on him yet, he is defiantly top 6, and he can play on the 1st. I just really don't want to pressure him too much. That's another reason(bolded) I don't think he should play 1st line. Not very versatile yet either.
I don't know if it's pressure or just an opportunity of a lifetime, but yes, your point is valid. Most people wanted him to stay in Bingo to bulk up, but if he can learn as quickly as possible the NHL game in terms of speed, then he'll be fine. The guy can finish, that's for sure. Hopefully he notches one quickly in the NHL to relax him a little.

Old
12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
In a stretch where we've struggled to create offense, Bobby Butler had a scoring chance. Probably consider it a successful debut and worth another luck.

If winning now is the priority then he's gotta stay up here until he quits getting chances.
Yeah, my opinion exactly. He created chances from his speed and skill, the minute he stops working his tail off is the time he gets sent back down to Bingo. Right now, he was a lot of fun to watch last game - hopefully it continues.

Old
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Anca18

Quote:
I don't know if it's pressure or just an opportunity of a lifetime, but yes, your point is valid. Most people wanted him to stay in Bingo to bulk up, but if he can learn as quickly as possible the NHL game in terms of speed, then he'll be fine. The guy can finish, that's for sure. Hopefully he notches one quickly in the NHL to relax him a little.
It is the opportunity of a lifetime, and we all know Bobby has the talent to be a 1st line NHL guy, but I don't want to rush him. He's already ready for top 6, and I would let him develop while playing 2nd line minutes, and 2nd unit PP. I cannot say this enough, don't push the Butler!

Last edited by Anca18: 12-06-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Fixed my epic spelling mistakes, lol
Old
12-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Yeah, my opinion exactly. He created chances from his speed and skill, the minute he stops working his tail off is the time he gets sent back down to Bingo. Right now, he was a lot of fun to watch last game - hopefully it continues.
Ya I think it can only get better in the next couple games.

Here Bobby, skate with two elite players for the first time in your life without any practice with them. Oh yeah, play on your off wing too.

I could often see him gravitating to his normal side throughout the game and I think this actually confused the Rangers a little....it seemed like it opened up ice a little. Just getting to work with them in practice and understand what he's gotta do may make for quick improvement.

I was satisfied with him, he didn't come close to blowing me away, but he didn't disappoint. The key for him will be finding gaps in scoring areas and receiving passes...the longer he spends with the top line the more chance we give him to find out how to do that with his given linemates.

Old
12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

About time, he's earned is shot.

Jared Cowen 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
jamwires

you can't fault Shannon's game last night. He was everywhere. Created chances and played great defensively.

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Joe Pesky
#peskysens

Butler can't skate. Blow on him and he goes down. I don't see him as an NHL regular. Too weak on his skates and two weak on the boards. In his first game he failed to cover for a pinching D at least twice and his backchecking was pathetic, especially given that it was an odd man rush that he should have prevented. Now, some of that can be learned but I think his ankles are way to weak.

Joe Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by House That Rod Built View Post
Butler can't skate. Blow on him and he goes down. I don't see him as an NHL regular. Too weak on his skates and two weak on the boards. In his first game he failed to cover for a pinching D at least twice and his backchecking was pathetic, especially given that it was an odd man rush that he should have prevented. Now, some of that can be learned but I think his ankles are way to weak.
He definitely hasn't adjusted to the speed of the NHL. This off-season could be a make or break on whether he can be a player, he needs to be stronger.

To try and determine his future in these two games is a little unfair though.

Old
12-07-2010, 08:12 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
butler demoted to 4th line tonight, i wouldnt be surprised if he's sent back down shortly.

12-07-2010, 08:27 PM
TheBandWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
butler demoted to 4th line tonight, i wouldnt be surprised if he's sent back down shortly.
agreed, which imo is best for his development. keep giving him a taste but let him challenge the scoring title down there. Give him time and he'll be awesome

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
SpezDispenser

Hit the gym Bobby!

Old
12-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Pretty much what I expected to happen seeing Butler on the 4th line. The call up seemed good in theory, but I can't see playing with this team being good for anyone's development...

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTownUSA View Post
Shannon is no Gionta, although he had a good game tonight, he would have to earn that ice time & he's not doing that.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:44 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Hit the gym Bobby!
I was actually impressed that he was capable of hitting Gill into the boards

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Pretty much what I expected to happen seeing Butler on the 4th line. The call up seemed good in theory, but I can't see playing with this team being good for anyone's development...
He didn't even get 4 periods on the top line, hardly any time for him to get settled or find any chemisty. Played on his off wing too. Short lease Clouston strikes again. What exactly was the point of calling him up, if your not playing him where you expect him to fit. Could have called up ZSmith.

Expect he'll be back in Bingo by the weekend.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote