HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Butler (down again dec 11th)

Old
12-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

vCash: 500
Hope to see him in warm-ups for tonight's tilt w/ Rochester..

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 1076
It'll be important for B-squared to accept this demotion in stride and not let it affect his on-ice performance like it has others in recent seasons...

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 05:12 PM
kyle747

Moving him up and down like that was just dumb, in my view.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 05:19 PM
HSF

good move

he now knows how much stronger he needs to be. gave him a litle taste now he can go down and work on his game

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:19 PM
DJB

vCash: 8579
So what was the point of calling him up if he was never given a fiar chance to play in the top 6?

dumb...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Leachman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
So what was the point of calling him up if he was never given a fiar chance to play in the top 6?

dumb...
? He had a chance. A chance doesn't mean a shot at a permanent spot unless he forces their hand with his play.

Leachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:28 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

dumb...
ppl need to understand this is a "process"

he had more then enough shifts in the top 6 to know he isnt strong enough to back check or forecheck.

you can clearly seem him get stripped of the puck but other players cause he doesnt have the strength.

he will have to get stronger and he now knows by how much

Old
12-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Good call sending him down.

He showed his offense is there, he just needs to round out his game and now that he knows what he has to work on down in the AHL I have full confidence the next time we see him in Ottawa he will be much better.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 09:38 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

He loads of nice opportunities and just didn't quite finish. He created a lot and had really good chemistry with Spezza. The skill level is definitely there. He just needs to get a bit stronger and that was evident, but skill-wise, he has the skill to be a top-6 in the NHL for sure. I was actually quite impressed and he should take this as a huge positive and go work-out like a fiend until he's a bit stronger.
I'd say that he made a very good impression.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
100% agree.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Jackie Treehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Good call sending him down.

He showed his offense is there, he just needs to round out his game and now that he knows what he has to work on down in the AHL I have full confidence the next time we see him in Ottawa he will be much better.
I agree, I thought he showed he's got an NHL shot and his offensive instincts are good. But he is nowhere near strong enough, and now he knows it. It's a process and there is no point in crushing his confidence if he just isn't physically ready.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Jackie Treehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
Why?

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
ppl need to understand this is a "process"

he had more then enough shifts in the top 6 to know he isnt strong enough to back check or forecheck.

you can clearly seem him get stripped of the puck but other players cause he doesnt have the strength.

he will have to get stronger and he now knows by how much
So you suggesting the Senators management and probably Butler didn't already know he needs more time in the AHL to develop physically, and hone his overall game???

I think they did, that is why he didn't make the team out of camp, and he wasn't going to add 10 - 15 pounds of muscle in a month or two.

He was called up to help the top six score, not play fourth line minutes. When Clouston demoted him so quickly, the callup just made no sense.

I am surprised Murray didn't send him down sooner, let the guy play 20 minutes a night under a coach that can help hone his game and give him a year to grow physically.

Old
12-12-2010, 05:01 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
So you suggesting the Senators management and probably Butler didn't already know he needs more time in the AHL to develop physically, and hone his overall game???

I think they did, that is why he didn't make the team out of camp, and he wasn't going to add 10 - 15 pounds of muscle in a month or two.

He was called up to help the top six score, not play fourth line minutes. When Clouston demoted him so quickly, the callup just made no sense.

I am surprised Murray didn't send him down sooner, let the guy play 20 minutes a night under a coach that can help hone his game and give him a year to grow physically.
sorry but if you thought Butler was going to come up here and be a top 6 player RIGHT NOW then you are dreaming

If management thought that they wouldnt have waited so long to bring him up. Butler was brought in to give the team a mental shake-up to show guys like Regin that their job in the top 6 isnt anywhere near safe. To gives a different look so to say.

This move also gave Butler some experience and now it is up to him to use that experience to get stronger. Someone telling you need to be stronger and you actually going out there and feeling the strength nhl players are two VERY different things

Old
12-12-2010, 05:45 PM
mianjo

vCash: 140
Butler healthy scratch tonight for Bingo, so are they calling him back up for next Sens game?

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mianjo View Post
Butler healthy scratch tonight for Bingo, so are they calling him back up for next Sens game?
No, the time he spent with the Sens set him back in his development, he needs some practice time before he plays

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 12-12-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old
12-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Calorissi

Anyone else read that Butler was a healthy scratch and wonder what a package of Butler and Kovalev was going to net us?

Seems fishy to reassign him to the AHL and then not play him...

Calorissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mianjo View Post
Mianjo most likely Butler is exhausted 3 games the past 3 nites + travel.

As for a call up perhaps Lehner to back up with Leclaire's injury

ZekeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
sorry but if you thought Butler was going to come up here and be a top 6 player RIGHT NOW then you are dreaming

If management thought that they wouldnt have waited so long to bring him up. Butler was brought in to give the team a mental shake-up to show guys like Regin that their job in the top 6 isnt anywhere near safe. To gives a different look so to say.

This move also gave Butler some experience and now it is up to him to use that experience to get stronger. Someone telling you need to be stronger and you actually going out there and feeling the strength nhl players are two VERY different things
Never considered that for a moment, the thought never crossed my mind actually.

Glad you talked to Murray and he shared what he was thinking. Interesting to know Murray told you Butler wasn't ready for top six, but called him up, then told Clouston to start him top six, all just to send Regin a message.

Wonder if Murray might have considered just telling Regin, it would have been alot easier, cheaper, and more meaningful than the psychological mumbo jumgo you are suggesting took place.

Butler played a few games last year, and he went through a full training camp this year. He, like every other rookie/prospect, is well instructed in what development regime they are to follow.

Butler didn't need to be called up for 4 games, to average 11 minutes a game to grasp what he needed to do to become an NHLer. The NHL isn't kindergarten, nobody gets a chance because they need to see first hand they aren't ready.

Butler was called up IMO because he was scoring consistently in the AHL, the Sens hoped he might just score a few to help the team. He didn't, end of story.

Old
12-12-2010, 08:15 PM
HSF

Quote:
Never considered that for a moment, the thought never crossed my mind actually.

Glad you talked to Murray and he shared what he was thinking. Interesting to know Murray told you Butler wasn't ready for top six, but called him up, then told Clouston to start him top six, all just to send Regin a message.

Wonder if Murray might have considered just telling Regin, it would have been alot easier, cheaper, and more meaningful than the psychological mumbo jumgo you are suggesting took place.

Butler played a few games last year, and he went through a full training camp this year. He, like every other rookie/prospect, is well instructed in what development regime they are to follow.

Butler didn't need to be called up for 4 games, to average 11 minutes a game to grasp what he needed to do to become an NHLer. The NHL isn't kindergarten, nobody gets a chance because they need to see first hand they aren't ready.

Butler was called up IMO because he was scoring consistently in the AHL, the Sens hoped he might just score a few to help the team. He didn't, end of story.
why would i need to ask murray? are you that blind that you couldnt see that Regin sat when Butler came in. Go look at Regin's stats and you tell me if they did it for a reason

oh ya they probably did...

Old
12-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
why would i need to ask murray? are you that blind that you couldnt see that Regin sat when Butler came in. Go look at Regin's stats and you tell me if they did it for a reason

oh ya they probably did...
You wrote "Butler was brought in to give the team a mental shake-up to show guys like Regin that their job in the top 6 isnt anywhere near safe." So how would you know this unless you talked to Murray, or was it just pure speculation on you part.

If it was, as I suspect, just speculation then I think you are 100% wrong.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 12-13-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old
12-13-2010, 02:38 PM
HSF

Quote:
You need all the help you can get, you have made that very obvious
debate the post not the poster

Again if you thought Butler was going to come up here and score and be in the top six then you are dreaming. If Ottawa thought he could do that he would have been here a LONG time ago.

Even Tim Murray said on the team BEFORE calling him up that Butler needs to work on his game away from the puck. Which became quite obvious in his short stint with Spezza. He couldnt hold the puck on stick along the boards and if you cant do that you arent going to be getting top 6 mins as ottawa is trying to win. We arent Edm here.

Managment knows what they are doing and sent him back down for a reason.

lastly, there is a difference between telling someone they need to get stronger and having him actually witness that he isnt strong enough. Also he now knows how MUCH stronger he needs to be and where he needs to improve.

To put it simply so you understand it is like working out a math problem. There is a difference between someone TELLING you how to solve it and you actually solving it.

Last edited by HSF: 12-13-2010 at 02:43 PM.