HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Funny conversations/old predictions you had with friends

Old
02-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Funny conversations/old predictions you had with friends

I was looking through some old letters that I wrote back and forth to some long distance friends. While some of the things we say to each other are bang on, the other stuff is mildly funny. In the fall of 1997 Team Canada was picked and my friend from out of town wrote this to me in a letter (hard to believe a world where email wasn't quite as mainstream yet):

"How about Team Canada? What are they doing with Messier? How can he possibly not be on the team? Then again, this is Bobby Clarke who slashed Kharlamov's ankle in the 1972 Series and broke it, so what do you expect?"

Other things talked about in different letters:

"I saw that CBC 6-part special "A Year in the Life of the NHL." Did you watch it? Man, it looks bleak for the Canadian teams. I think we might just end up with only three teams when all is said and done (Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver)."

I remember vacationing in Florida and talking to a Flyers fan on the beach one day in 1997. We both agreed that a Philadelphia/Colorado Cup final was going to be happening. He was well-versed in hockey, knew it as well as I did, even the history. Funny how hockey binds you wherever you are.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Sticks and Pucks

I predicted New Jersey and Anaheim would be in the Stanley Cup Finals back before the playoffs began in 2003. Everyone laughed at me back then. Should have bet money...

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks and Pucks View Post
I predicted New Jersey and Anaheim would be in the Stanley Cup Finals back before the playoffs began in 2003. Everyone laughed at me back then. Should have bet money...
Are you kidding? Okay, I know it is easy to say that you have hindsight as your guide now and all but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you. All I can ask is why? What would ever make you think that? New Jersey? Yeah, I guess so. Nothing strange there. I'd have picked Ottawa. But Anaheim? There really was nothing to give anyone any impression they could do it. Especially playing Detroit first round. So please, you have to explain this one.

Old
02-26-2016, 09:21 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

^ must have been a big oleg tverdovsky fan

i didn't predict the devils/ducks finals, but in all honesty in the middle of the '03 season, before the plyaoffs, i did pick niedermayer and giguere to have breakout norris and vezina seasons in '04. i think it was a little after giguere had something like four shutouts in five games.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2016, 10:03 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Are you kidding? Okay, I know it is easy to say that you have hindsight as your guide now and all but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you. All I can ask is why? What would ever make you think that? New Jersey? Yeah, I guess so. Nothing strange there. I'd have picked Ottawa. But Anaheim? There really was nothing to give anyone any impression they could do it. Especially playing Detroit first round. So please, you have to explain this one.
It was probably a bit of luck. I didn't analyze hockey so closely as I do now, I was more of a casual fan. New Jersey was an easy pick because Lalime wasn't all that good a goalie and Anaheim was just a lucky pick. None of the other goalies in the west blew anyone away - Turco was unproven, Roy was slowing down and running out of gas (I believe Aebischer had to play quite a bit down the stretch), CuJo wasn't having the greatest season (and was getting old as were the rest of the Wings), Cloutier was Cloutier, etc. At the time, I just thought the west was wide open because of a lack of goaltending, Giguere got hot down the stretch (one of the better goalies in the second half), and Anaheim went on a pretty hot run down the stretch going into the playoffs so I picked them. Guys like Steve Thomas and Rob Niedermayer came at the trade deadline and got hot. Thomas and Oates on the tail end of their careers and never won a Cup. Figured there was some motivation there. Couldn't have predicted Giguere would go on that run that he did as I actually thought Kariya would do more and win the Conn Smythe if they had won the Cup (I did pick Anaheim to beat New Jersey so I was wrong there). So all in all, while I did pick Anaheim, they didn't make the Finals in the manner I expected them to.

Funny how once I began to analyze hockey more intensely (immediately after 2003), not once have I gotten the two finalists correct. I've also thought about my predictions from that year a lot since then. If I hadn't gone with my gut back then and went with my mind and analysis instead, I would probably have picked Dallas and New Jersey. Dallas really was the better team on paper and Giguere and Turco had proven just about the same (not much).

Old
02-27-2016, 01:36 AM
seventieslord

It was luck, no doubt. Same year, I had a bit of luck. I correctly predicted the round two winners, AND the number of games in all four series. Only time I've ever been able to do that.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2016, 06:24 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
It was probably a bit of luck. I didn't analyze hockey so closely as I do now, I was more of a casual fan. New Jersey was an easy pick because Lalime wasn't all that good a goalie and Anaheim was just a lucky pick. None of the other goalies in the west blew anyone away - Turco was unproven, Roy was slowing down and running out of gas (I believe Aebischer had to play quite a bit down the stretch), CuJo wasn't having the greatest season (and was getting old as were the rest of the Wings), Cloutier was Cloutier, etc. At the time, I just thought the west was wide open because of a lack of goaltending, Giguere got hot down the stretch (one of the better goalies in the second half), and Anaheim went on a pretty hot run down the stretch going into the playoffs so I picked them. Guys like Steve Thomas and Rob Niedermayer came at the trade deadline and got hot. Thomas and Oates on the tail end of their careers and never won a Cup. Figured there was some motivation there. Couldn't have predicted Giguere would go on that run that he did as I actually thought Kariya would do more and win the Conn Smythe if they had won the Cup (I did pick Anaheim to beat New Jersey so I was wrong there). So all in all, while I did pick Anaheim, they didn't make the Finals in the manner I expected them to.

Funny how once I began to analyze hockey more intensely (immediately after 2003), not once have I gotten the two finalists correct. I've also thought about my predictions from that year a lot since then. If I hadn't gone with my gut back then and went with my mind and analysis instead, I would probably have picked Dallas and New Jersey. Dallas really was the better team on paper and Giguere and Turco had proven just about the same (not much).
Well congrats to you on that. Anaheim in 2003 might have been lucky, but good call either way.

I've predicted the Cup finalists prior to the finals before:

But those ones I would have had company in sharing. They weren't head scratchers. None were surprising like Anaheim in 2003.

Old
03-01-2016, 01:53 AM
Canucks420

I've correctly predicted the last two Panthers playoff appearances.

Canucks420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2016, 03:16 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks420 View Post
I've correctly predicted the last two Panthers playoff appearances.
Really? What did you see in them in '96?

Old
03-01-2016, 07:56 AM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

During the 94–95 lockout an unknown Västerås teammate of Nicklas Lidström, with Lidström present outside of the Leksand arena near the team bus, predicted that Lidström would be "a great player", or something like that.

He said it like in an "all-time great|Hall of Fame-great" kind of sense. I remember it vividly. Lidström already had three very good seasons with Detroit under his belt, but he hadn't reached serious Norris consideration yet. He still flew a bit under that famous radar.

Lidström made a humble face when his teammate said that. I was 13 years old at the time and already too knowledgeable to distrust the prophecy.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2016, 10:37 AM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:

I've predicted the Cup finalists prior to the finals before:

Well duh. Good job Kreskin

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2016, 04:00 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
Well duh. Good job Kreskin
Boston led the NHL in points in 1983 and looked poised............

Either way, this has nothing to do with hockey or either one of our predictions but this is a pretty darn good prediction I've always thought. Ted Williams signed a ball for then rookie Johnny Bench in 1968:

"To Johnny, for sure a Hall of Famer, Ted Williams."

Old
03-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Before the playoffs in the given year, I correctly picked the entire playoffs in 1993-94 with the exception of the actual Cup winner, then only missed on two series in 1994-95 but correctly had New Jersey beating Detroit for the Cup.

The next year, I did horribly but my friend picked everything right except one series and he had Joe Sakic as the Conn Smythe winner.

Quote:
Either way, this has nothing to do with hockey or either one of our predictions but this is a pretty darn good prediction I've always thought. Ted Williams signed a ball for then rookie Johnny Bench in 1968:

"To Johnny, for sure a Hall of Famer, Ted Williams."
My father used to know a local gym teacher here who was also a part-time scout for the Reds. Since my father was a huge Reds fan, they'd usually talk baseball and who the up-and-coming players were. In such a conversation in the fall of 1964, the scout said that they were keeping an eye on a high school catcher who hit like Mickey Mantle in addition to playing superlative defense; he'd be a Hall of Famer for sure if they could get him. And in the 2nd round of the 1965 draft, they took Johnny Bench.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Ishdul

I've mentioned this before, but one of the more eye opening moments in was a group of people who were obviously regular viewers talking about the recent Bruins teams with the consensus being that Milan Lucic was far and away their best player, with one suggesting he was the best player in the entire NHL.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2016, 11:56 AM
tjcurrie

During his sophomore season I told everyone that Jamie Benn would be on the 2014 Olympic squad

I also said he has Hart trophy potential

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Before the playoffs in the given year, I correctly picked the entire playoffs in 1993-94 with the exception of the actual Cup winner, then only missed on two series in 1994-95 but correctly had New Jersey beating Detroit for the Cup.

How in the world did you have San Jose beating Detroit in the first round? That's even crazier than picking Anaheim to beat Detroit in 2003.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
During his sophomore season I told everyone that Jamie Benn would be on the 2014 Olympic squad

On that note, I actually started a thread on these boards before Benn's rookie season saying I would take him in the top 10 of his draft and that he would ultimately be the second best player in the draft behind Patrick Kane. Everyone laughed at me. I wasn't too far off with that prediction. In fact, I still regularly bump that thread to remind people that I was right.

Old
03-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Big Phil

Quote:

Good call. Not that I didn't notice Benn on his way up but even when the team was picked I wondered why him and not Eric Staal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Like someone said, does that include San Jose over Detroit? The only one you are saying you got wrong was Vancouver over NYR?

There weren't a LOT of upsets that year but ones that you would think would be almost a consensus to pick:

Pittsburgh over Washington
Calgary over Vancouver (sort of)
St. Louis over Dallas

Not to mention all the other ones. But you are saying you got all of the series right? If so, that's utterly insane and I want to go play slots with you.

Old
03-06-2016, 01:06 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
On that note, I actually started a thread on these boards before Benn's rookie season saying I would take him in the top 10 of his draft and that he would ultimately be the second best player in the draft behind Patrick Kane. Everyone laughed at me. I wasn't too far off with that prediction. In fact, I still regularly bump that thread to remind people that I was right.
Quote:
Good call. Not that I didn't notice Benn on his way up but even when the team was picked I wondered why him and not Eric Staal.
I know I've mentioned on here before, but it was beginning of the shortened '13 season when Benn just re-signed after missing the first few games holding out.

I was at my in-laws' and my wife's brother was there too. He's an oilers fan. We began arguing over Benn vs Eberle.

Some of his quotes: (All with a dumb smirk on his face any of you would have wanted to smack right off)

"Eberle is on a whole 'nother level than Benn."

"Benn is more comparable to Sam Gagner."

"NO GM in the league would take Benn over Eberle."

"Eberle can get 100 points."

"When Benn beats Eberle in points, then I'll admit he's better."
- Ya think I've gotten that yet?

I was telling him that they're fairly close offensively, but Benn does everything else.

Seems even I was underrating Benn a little. His 2013-14 season wasn't a shock to me, but exploding for 87 and a scoring title last season wasn't something I had predicted, though maybe 55-60 games in I began telling people to watch him because he just may make a run. Sure enough.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2016, 01:10 PM
seventieslord

Jeez, in the circles I run in there was no problem with Benn being on the team. We seemed to all agree that Giroux and MSL were the biggest omissions, in favour of a stiff like Kunitz and then perhaps Carter or Nash. But not Benn.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Thenameless

My friend and I thought Fedorov, Mogilny, and Bure would all play on one NHL team one day - probably Detroit or Vancouver.

I was very surprised to see Detroit sill winning Cups once the old guard (Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, etc) started retiring/leaving. Did not know that Zetterberg and Datsyuk were that good.

I was pretty sure San Jose would eventually win the Cup once they got Joe Thornton. Not looking that way now.

After the Pens won their first Cup with Crosby/Malkin, I thought we were seeing the beginning of a dynasty. I thought they'd be able to switch out role players every year and keep winning with their core - like Chicago has done. Plus, veterans that hadn't won a Cup yet would take a deep discount to play in Pittsburgh.

I'll say it now. I don't think the Oilers will win a Cup in the next ten years. McDavid is beginning to emerge as the best player in the world, but there seems to be something wrong with Edmonton; just can't explain it.

And my Habs - 93 is going to become the new 67.

Thenameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
I know I've mentioned on here before, but it was beginning of the shortened '13 season when Benn just re-signed after missing the first few games holding out.

I was at my in-laws' and my wife's brother was there too. He's an oilers fan. We began arguing over Benn vs Eberle.

Some of his quotes: (All with a dumb smirk on his face any of you would have wanted to smack right off)

"Eberle is on a whole 'nother level than Benn."

"Benn is more comparable to Sam Gagner."

"NO GM in the league would take Benn over Eberle."

"Eberle can get 100 points."

"When Benn beats Eberle in points, then I'll admit he's better."
- Ya think I've gotten that yet?

I was telling him that they're fairly close offensively, but Benn does everything else.

Seems even I was underrating Benn a little. His 2013-14 season wasn't a shock to me, but exploding for 87 and a scoring title last season wasn't something I had predicted, though maybe 55-60 games in I began telling people to watch him because he just may make a run. Sure enough.
Yeah, I think Benn gets underrated a lot here (even now) because he plays in Dallas and was not a first round pick. I would definitely take him top 3 if the draft was re-done today.

Old
03-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Terry Yake

i remember thinking jeff o'neill would one day be a superstar

same with angelo esposito

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Jeez, in the circles I run in there was no problem with Benn being on the team. We seemed to all agree that Giroux and MSL were the biggest omissions, in favour of a stiff like Kunitz and then perhaps Carter or Nash. But not Benn.
Staal had a really good year in 2013 and since he had been on the 2010 team I thought that would help him in 2014 as well. He could slide over to the left wing, I thought. It turns out Benn was a great pick and a given for 2016's team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenameless View Post
I'll say it now. I don't think the Oilers will win a Cup in the next ten years. McDavid is beginning to emerge as the best player in the world, but there seems to be something wrong with Edmonton; just can't explain it.
Wow. Good call. I mean, you'll look brilliant if you are right. the thing wrong with Edmonton is that they lack defense and a goalie. Darnell Nurse is going to be a gem on defense though so they really just need a good goalie. Even one that can blend in well like Corey Crawford. That should be enough for them to win some Cups. McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yakupov and then whatever draft pick they get this year makes them potent at forward. The Pens were awful in Crosby's rookie year too, remember.

But I respect the bold prediction.

Old
03-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Thenameless

Quote:

Wow. Good call. I mean, you'll look brilliant if you are right. the thing wrong with Edmonton is that they lack defense and a goalie. Darnell Nurse is going to be a gem on defense though so they really just need a good goalie. Even one that can blend in well like Corey Crawford. That should be enough for them to win some Cups. McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yakupov and then whatever draft pick they get this year makes them potent at forward. The Pens were awful in Crosby's rookie year too, remember.

But I respect the bold prediction.
Thanks. My prediction comes from two lines of thought.

The first is more concrete; as they hit free agency, some of the highly touted young forwards will walk to seek greener pastures elsewhere. That, or Edmonton may have to give up some of its talent up front in order to shore up the back end - teams know this, so the Oilers won't get fair value in return.

The second is a bit more vague. Call it the curse of Canada, if you will. Until McDavid, it seems like all the best players (mostly forwards I'm talking here) have ended up in US cities - Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Benn, Seguin, Kane, Toews, etc. In the past couple of decades, Canadian teams haven't won a Cup, haven't been to many Cups, haven't been favoured at the start of the season to win a Cup, and even have trouble making the playoffs. I don't see this changing any time soon. It seems like Canadian teams are always in some sort of rebuilding phase, while powerhouses like LA and Chicago (and in an earlier era Detroit and Colorado) are always swinging for the fences.

Thenameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Skoalvalchuk

I had predicted the Canes winning their Cup back in 06'. I absolutely fell in love with their team (Still by far my 2nd favorite team), I remember them falling 2 straight to Montreal in the first series.. I think they gave up like 11-12 goals or something too.. I went to school the next day and all my buddies we're chirping at me since my Canucks missed the playoffs, and now the Canes we're looking like they'd be sent packing too..

Man did they ever turn it on after that... Still one of my favorite teams of all-time

Skoalvalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote