HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson Appreciation Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Some of you guys really need to give it a rest with Karlsson on the main boards.

He's a great defenceman, sure, but what are we: Leaf fans? Can we just keep it on our own boards?

I love oranges, but if people keep trying to force-feed me oranges for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, I'm going to start to sour on them sooner than later.
An opposing coach saying he's the best player in the league is notable, new, discussion worthy and it's why it was posted.

Some of you need to stop worrying about Internet arguments like they mean anything.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I don't think I can name a single defenceman playing now, other than Karlsson, who would have caught Semin there.
Not sure any forward gets there either. Partially because they usually too fsr

Old
02-08-2013, 08:22 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
An opposing coach saying he's the best player in the league is notable, new, discussion worthy and it's why it was posted.

Some of you need to stop worrying about Internet arguments like they mean anything.
I'm not talking about the arguments themselves, I was more referring to the number of threads up there. There are like sometimes 3/day.

One just got merged into another like 5 minutes ago.

There's no need to flood the main boards with a new thread/ day.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
moz
Gute Post

The main board is so weird, it should be a place to discuss notable players/events around the league, since no one can follow any team as closely as their own. It just so happens that Karlsson is transformative and that practically every shift is a notable event. I guess it can get tiring to read about the same guy, not that anyone forces you to click the thread? I mean if fans were posting their awe of Greening it would be ridiculous, but Karlsson is the best and most dynamic defenseman (and perhaps player) in the league. Why do people recoil from it and act like main board real estate is finite and must be earned?

02-08-2013, 09:15 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
The main board is so weird, it should be a place to discuss notable players/events around the league, since no one can follow any team as closely as their own. It just so happens that Karlsson is transformative and that practically every shift is a notable event. I guess it can get tiring to read about the same guy, not that anyone forces you to click the thread? I mean if fans were posting their awe of Greening it would be ridiculous, but Karlsson is the best and most dynamic defenseman (and perhaps player) in the league. Why do people recoil from it and act like main board real estate is finite and must be earned?
You must be new here

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:33 AM
BigEyedPhish

Best player to dawn our jersey ever..

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
SenzZen
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
It's 10mins of Karlsson from yesterday (posted it on Main thread too)

Thanks so much for this. I was lucky enough to be there last night, and that pass to Turris ~8:43 made my jaw drop. Such a subtle play, but beautiful and ballsy at the same time.

Bawse.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:04 AM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'm not talking about the arguments themselves, I was more referring to the number of threads up there. There are like sometimes 3/day.

One just got merged into another like 5 minutes ago.

There's no need to flood the main boards with a new thread/ day.
I agree. Every time a Karlsson thread pops up the same arguments are spewed and its an endless cycle. Its redundant and pretty stupid.

Could care less what other fan bases think of Karlsson.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
HavlatMach9

No way . I find it fun. I doubt we'll see a Karlsson vs Pietrangelo now, since we bait others to discussing Karlsson vs the best or great defensemen of past. We might discuss pathetically, but Karlsson's unearthly progression makes us appear right

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
johan f

Posted this on mainboard but perhaps will fare better here:

I am curious how Karlsson's game evolve as he gets older and more mature. Today, on one hand, he is naive in his shotselection and his slapper is announced weeks in advance. On the other hand, his naive mind makes for charming escapades on 200 feet. When he matures I am afraid he will play more boring, but maybe shoot better.

What are your thoughts about he may look like as a matured player?

I have been involded in hockey my entire life as player, coach, parent and been around more cold hockeybarns than what is healthy and I have never seen a more unorthodox player coming this far.I have seen numerous players showing jawdropping skills with swagger but those have been faded out of many reasons. But Karlsson, he's come all the way.

johan f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:42 AM
HavlatMach9

It's impossible to tell. Each year brings a new Karlsson. First year, offensive potential, but you couldn't drag him to play real defense. Second year he starts putting up points, but still hesitant to play defense, gets named All Star. Third year, he suddenly starts at least attempting to play defense, but it's just good enough, Norris.

This year it seems he's perfected the stickwork and squeezing people through the boards. Karlsson has all the heart and talent, and he's not even afraid of hitting (doesn't cause it's useless). If he puts on more weight, don't be surprised if he starts hipchecking people. He's smart. He is a VERY simple player:puts pucks on nets because that's how you score, when defending vs a shot, gets out of way so goalie can see.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
johan f

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
It's impossible to tell. Each year brings a new Karlsson. First year, offensive potential, but you couldn't drag him to play real defense. Second year he starts putting up points, but still hesitant to play defense, gets named All Star. Third year, he suddenly starts at least attempting to play defense, but it's just good enough, Norris.

This year it seems he's perfected the stickwork and squeezing people through the boards. Karlsson has all the heart and talent, and he's not even afraid of hitting (doesn't cause it's useless). If he puts on more weight, don't be surprised if he starts hipchecking people. He's smart. He is a VERY simple player:puts pucks on nets because that's how you score, when defending vs a shot, gets out of way so goalie can see.
Majority of his shots are soft ones with no mates screening/tipping. I say he throws away the puck way too much.

I read in a paper where Erik's offseason trainer said they don't want to bulk him too much because they want to maintain his skilled game. There are anough players with knuckles dragging on the ground when walking. The trainer explained that they are trying to make him as strong as possible within his weightframe. He is training alot like gymnasts do. Everything is unorthodox. Even how he works out.

He might become stronger, but not thanks to heavylifting, more thanx to his body will mature.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
moz
Gute Post

I've believed since last season that Karlsson is reinventing the position, which a lot of people struggle to accept because he excels at none of the things which we have been trained to believe are necessary characteristics for a top defenseman: positioning, hitting (both doling out and absorbing), and brute strength. Of course he achieves the same results with stick work, agility and an unbelievable first step, but people have a hard time putting aside the rubric. They will in time.

Someone summed it up perfectly, I wish I could correctly attribute it: Karlsson plays the puck, not the man, which is supposed to be defensive taboo #1 yet is the source of his brilliance. It keeps him from getting hurt, it stuns the opposition despite intense scouting, and it eliminates a step in generating counter-attacks (sure you can hit a guy to separate him from the puck, but you take yourself out of the play in doing so and still need to gain possession).

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I've believed since last season that Karlsson is reinventing the position, which a lot of people struggle to accept because he excels at none of the things which we have been trained to believe are necessary characteristics for a top defenseman: positioning, hitting (both doling out and absorbing), and brute strength. Of course he achieves the same results with stick work, agility and an unbelievable first step, but people have a hard time putting aside the rubric. They will in time.

Someone summed it up perfectly, I wish I could correctly attribute it: Karlsson plays the puck, not the man, which is supposed to be defensive taboo #1 yet is the source of his brilliance. It keeps him from getting hurt, it stuns the opposition despite intense scouting, and it eliminates a step in generating counter-attacks (sure you can hit a guy to separate him from the puck, but you take yourself out of the play in doing so and still need to gain possession).
I'm not sure many have the skill and speed to replicate what Karlsson does.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
starling

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan f View Post
Majority of his shots are soft ones with no mates screening/tipping. I say he throws away the puck way too much.
He often throws them for a tip. Yesterday he had 4 or 5 such shots and had a couple of them deflected wide or into Ward. I say they should practice this more if they don't already.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:38 PM
johan f

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
He often throws them for a tip. Yesterday he had 4 or 5 such shots and had a couple of them deflected wide or into Ward. I say they should practice this more if they don't already.
I am aware of that but quite often there are no teammates infront of net or they are all tangled up. He still need to develop the timing when and not to shoot. He is skilled enough to hold on the puck but sometimes he just throws it away when coming down the wing. I would prefer he dumps it in the corner and relies on wingers to chase.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
I have to agree. I've actually stopped reading the main boards for that very reason. I'd say just leave it, but some people here get off on these same annoying Karlsson threads that are made 5 times a week for whwtever reason. Ah well...
I mentally recoil when I see them on the main board. Every time I go into one it's a cluster**** of over-exaggeration on both sides. I agree with Moz that there's nothing wrong with providing information on him on the main boards but at the same time, we have nothing to prove.

In a perfect world a non-Sens fans would be starting those threads but I do understand the excitement.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

I read in a paper where Erik's offseason trainer said they don't want to bulk him too much because they want to maintain his skilled game. There are anough players with knuckles dragging on the ground when walking. The trainer explained that they are trying to make him as strong as possible within his weightframe. He is training alot like gymnasts do. Everything is unorthodox. Even how he works out.

He might become stronger, but not thanks to heavylifting, more thanx to his body will mature.
You can lift heavy and not bulk up. Strength is largely a function of the nervous system. You can't avoid some muscle gain, but there are 200 pound people who can deadlift 600 pounds and there are 300 pounders that do the same.

I'd say the alternative to those throw away shots that result in a offensive zone face off is being in our end defending. He usually does it when there's no play. Take your pick though, karlssons better at zone entry then anyone. It's not always gonna result in a prime scoring chance, but it does quite a bit.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
You can lift heavy and not bulk up. Strength is largely a function of the nervous system. You can't avoid some muscle gain, but there are 200 pound people who can deadlift 600 pounds and there are 300 pounders that do the same.

I'd say the alternative to those throw away shots that result in a offensive zone face off is being in our end defending. He usually does it when there's no play. Take your pick though, karlssons better at zone entry then anyone. It's not always gonna result in a prime scoring chance, but it does quite a bit.
If Karl could improve his shot quality percentage, he'd score 100 points at some time. He's leading the NHL in shots, of course lots of them are nothing. He's a defenseman. Still better than the alterntive. Way better

Old
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
If Karl could improve his shot quality percentage, he'd score 100 points at some time. He's leading the NHL in shots, of course lots of them are nothing. He's a defenseman. Still better than the alterntive. Way better
Once Silfverberg, Zibanejad get more acquainted to the game and Spezza comes back with another gritty in your face player like Noesen, we will see those guys drive to the net and cash in on Karlsson's ability to get the puck on net. I was expecting to see a lot of Michalek doing that this year but Smith doesn't really do a good job of finding Karlsson in the point, Karlsson just rushes the puck himself not giving Milo enough chance to crash the net.

I'm hoping DaCosta improves and centers the line.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
johan f

Quote:

I am sure they are working out with weights, but they are doing it with conscious. They want to make sure his mobility, quickness and technique keeps developing. He's no raging bull, he's a hockeyplayer from year 2030...

Old
02-08-2013, 03:00 PM
johan f

They use a formula of strenght toward weight to get max out of him. He is trained to become an allaround flexible athlete, a gymnast... and not a old fashioned hockeyplayer. 2030! They are avoiding everything McSorley and Rob Blake did...lol.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I am sure they are working out with weights, but they are doing it with conscious. They want to make sure his mobility, quickness and technique keeps developing. He's no raging bull, he's a hockeyplayer from year 2030...
Quote:
They use a formula of strenght toward weight to get max out of him. He is trained to become an allaround flexible athlete, a gymnast... and not a old fashioned hockeyplayer. 2030! They are avoiding everything McSorley and Rob Blake did...lol.
I understand this. Mixed martial artist also train themselves much the same way. To be extremely efficient and explosive biomechanically. To be balanced all and over and move properly.

These guys still work up to doing something like a deadlift for 2.5 times their body weight. He probably lifts a lot of the same weights that guys that have 15-20 pounds on him do. It's that combination of explosive strength and his small stature that allows him to pounce so quickly, and shoot so hard despite his size.

A lot of this he was blessed with. But they train him to accentuate this stuff. I have a pretty decent understanding of functional anatomy and biomechanics. I've applied a lot of the same principles to myself, so for a lot of it I have first hand experience on how it affects athleticism.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Minister of Offence

It's also why I hope Spezza and co. understand his back problems are likely a function of poor hips. Which is probably why he skates hunched over.

Low back problems are almost always a result of poor hip mobility. Unless it's trauma related or something special like that. The way he talked about it in the interview, I'm not convinced they are treating the hips, just the lower back. It is a professional organization though, so you gotta think they know.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
guyzeur

It's a good think EK is not 6.2 200lbs, he looks like he has the make up of a bully.

How many times this year do we see him body checked guys a lot bigger than he is? Staal yesterday was one of his target I believe... Opposing players don't expect it either.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote