HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson Appreciation Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 11:13 PM
jg729

vCash: 500
Karlsson is not himself. He probably playing at 75-80% of his full ability.

He has to learn - if he is not 100%, then he needs to be a bit safer & quicker with moving the puck. Don't try to make the perfect play, just make a few solid passes and the opportunity to jump in will be there. Karlsson at 80% is still a very good player, just don't turn the puck over!

jg729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:17 PM
WhiteLight

What is with these ''Karlsson has made too many mistakes'', ''needs to be safer'', etc?

He's clearly hurt but he's playing 29 min a game, producing points, and has only been scored on once.

Chill guys. Cut him some slack. He's doing enough.

WhiteLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:18 PM
HavlatMach9

Being suddenly slow and below is usual conditioning in addition to being normally relatively underweight, playing 27+ mins a game, it's still very impressive.

Each game we know he's figuring something out.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:26 PM
arglebargle

vCash: 141
I think that his leg being weak is making it hard for him to pivot, and sitting for 2 months makes it hard for him to go full speed for 45 seconds a shift.

Right before Turris' goal last night, Alfie made a pass across to Karlsson that was just a little bit farther than Karlsson could reach. There is no doubt in my mind that a healthy Erik catches up with that and roofs it. He's clearly affected by the injury but he's still a really good player at 70% or whatever.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Curtinho
Frysk Bloed

It's kind of funny throwing out percentage numbers, but realistically speaking Karlsson isn't at his best right now that's about all we know. Either way he's learning to adapt without his skating and he's doing a very efficient job on the ice without being the game-breaker he was before injury.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 07:47 AM
simplefan

I think that now Karlsson is pretty close to being 100%. He can skate freely. Maybe, he's not confident about it, but skating is good. He can rush the puck.
He can pivot now, and keep up with other forwards. His defensive play is a little bit affected but he can still pokecheck, stickcheck, and all.

But some things he needs to work on is more like timing on his pinches in the neutral zone and getting that lateral movement at the blueline that makes him so great.

simplefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Leachman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplefan View Post
I think that now Karlsson is pretty close to being 100%. He can skate freely. Maybe, he's not confident about it, but skating is good. He can rush the puck.
He can pivot now, and keep up with other forwards. His defensive play is a little bit affected but he can still pokecheck, stickcheck, and all.

But some things he needs to work on is more like timing on his pinches in the neutral zone and getting that lateral movement at the blueline that makes him so great.
Close to 100%? Nowhere near that. still, Karlsson at 65% is better than most at 100%.

Leachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:18 AM
sens2k9

His timing is way off. If we win this round, and if we win this round soon, he should have time to get it back

sens2k9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Icelevel
Relentless

Injured Karlsson playing at about 60% of his abilities
1G 4A +4 12shots

Loud mouth Subban embarrassing himself and his teammates
1G 2A +0 14shots

not only do i appreciate having karlsson i appreciate not having a guy like subban

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Injured Karlsson playing at about 60% of his abilities
1G 4A +4 12shots

Loud mouth Subban embarrassing himself and his teammates
1G 2A +0 14shots

not only do i appreciate having karlsson i appreciate not having a guy like subban
I know right... at what point do we think that 5 points in 4 games is dissappointing?

sens2k9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplefan View Post

There's no way he's "close" to 100%.

He doesn't have that silly video game speed burst. He's not pulling away from anyone.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
There's no way he's "close" to 100%.

He doesn't have that silly video game speed burst. He's not pulling away from anyone.
this. IMO the fact that he's still putting up points and making himself effective is more a testament to his non physical skills.
Karlsson has huge hockey IQ.

In no way is he physically dominating games the way he was before the injury. Its almost impossible to believe how good he is at 100%
its like trying to describe how good Gretzky was to people who never saw him play in anything other highlights 20 years later.
He just does things that no other player is capable of doing.

Cant wait to see him get back there, but its going to take an off season of training and recovery etc.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Jonathan81

What is funny about Karlsson is that even at, let say 80% of the players we all saw at the start of the season, he still manage to play on pare with the best. Many people use this serie to compare him to you kown who and no matter how many attempt i try to convince them that Karlsson isn't at 100% they wont listen. To bad, the serie might end before he regain his godlike skills, it would have been pleasant to end this debate once and for all. Go King K Go.

Jonathan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
simplefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachman View Post
Close to 100%? Nowhere near that. still, Karlsson at 65% is better than most at 100%.
True, but he's not as horrible as he was in Game 2 in Montreal.

I'd say he's 80%. Offensively, he's making strides and it shows. He is alright. But defensively, he needs a lot of work. Either it's his timing or his ankle, I'm not sure which one is bothering him the most. Because, he can rush the puck but he can't backcheck. Maybe it's his conditionning.
Anyways, he's getting better but he's not close to his Norris self, maybe his 2009-2010 self.

simplefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Stef*

# 65 is coming back from major surgery and has been targeted a lot
Hes just super cautious its obvious when u look at how he play
My take is that he will be king karlson back again next series

Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:06 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

He's not that far off, I think most of his struggles are a result of timing. He still has that extra gear that most players dream of and it was evident on one play where the Habs had a 3 on 1 where he got himself back to disrupt the flow of it.

He's still evolving as a player too, that's what really impresses. The way he is now picking his spots to conserve energy is reminiscent of past sporting greats that are on the ice/court/field for longer than every other player to maximize his stamina. And that play he made just prior to the tying goal last night - that was something Gretzky would do. Made a few moves in his zone to get some space and then slid the puck into the centre of the neutral zone which was completely unoccupied. When he did that I freaked out thinking a Montreal player would scoot in and seal the game, but then Turris came from nowhere with full speed, grabbed the puck and then started the entry into the offensive zone which led to the goal. It was absolutely brilliant and again showed how he can think the game at a higher level than almost every player in the game right now.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Sensfanman

Keep in mind Karlsson's playing >1 minute shifts regularly (probably because of PP time) but still, only Suter has more ATOI (also helped by a 41 minute TOI game with OT) this playoffs.

I think Karlsson's been fine. Everyone was pretty bad last game minus a few names (I think the ice was bouncy because it was so hot) but Karlsson's been one of our best players night in and night out, he just isn't as consistently noticeable but he's still making good plays most of the time.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:19 AM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
I think Karlsson's been fine. Everyone was pretty bad last game minus a few names (I think the ice was bouncy because it was so hot) but Karlsson's been one of our best players night in and night out, he just isn't as consistently noticeable but he's still making good plays most of the time.
I agree with everything that's been said, but my concern is for his future play. I think there's a valid reason Zajac (who has not been the same player since coming back from his achilles injury) reached out to warn him of coming back.

Right now, Karlsson still dictate's offensive play but IMO isn't near a Norris calibre defenseman. Is it possible deciding to rush back, and play this early in the post season, could be detrimental to the future of his career?

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:39 AM
arglebargle

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
Right now, Karlsson still dictate's offensive play but IMO isn't near a Norris calibre defenseman. Is it possible deciding to rush back, and play this early in the post season, could be detrimental to the future of his career?
I also worry about it but I kind of doubt they'd let him keep playing if it was that big of a risk. Plus I'm pretty sure Zajac straight up ruptured his achilles 100%, unlike the partial cut Karlsson had.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:08 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
I don't think it's an issues. Might just need some solid training in the summer to get back, but is playing because the injury has healed. He's still playing 27+mins each game and is like 175 pounds, he'll be fine. Last game he showed some flashes of his normal self.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:11 AM
VVS

I really hope we can close the series out tomorrow night. It's not gonna be easy, but it's doable. And that the Pens and Isles keep going back and forth (with the Isles winning in the end).

Just so Karlsson can get a few extra days of rest/practice.

VVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Carrie Underwood

vCash: 905
saw some of his speed on the opening shift. Explosiveness will come back from training. He will be fine and come back an even better player next year

Carrie Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Karlsson isn't playing anywhere near what he was before the injury & understandably so. He came back earlier than everyone expected & I'm quite sure that while the injury is healing it isn't 100% & that is obvious. I would also think that he is being very careful with it as well which could be why he is making some glaring mistakes. It must be hard for him trying things that used to be natural & easy before & now he must be surprised when they aren't working. As his confidence in his leg continues to grow so will his play improve & soon he will be back to beating those guy again although it may take until next season to see the old Karlsson again.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:23 AM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

Overall I'm happy just to have him in the lineup, but it saddens me a little to see how limited he is ATM.

I'd like to see him take more shots, though. He's passing it off more than he would ordinarily, but maybe that's because if his shot gets blocked and springs the blocker he won't be able to recover like he used to.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Making tons of bad choices he didn't make last year. I have no idea what he was doing with that half-assed close down on Pleks. He needs a lot more time trying to get back in rhythm than I expected.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote