HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson Appreciation Thread

Old
09-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Flamingo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan f View Post
Do any of you guys hanging around here been watching any practices/scrimages? I am curious how karlsson skates.
Skating looks good to me. While standing around listening to PMac, he looked at his left foot and put all his weight on it, apparently testing it. He seemed to lose his balance a bit doing that. He must still be adapting to the desensitized foot, which might take another year to recover. Bit his performance won't be degraded too much, IMO. He'll just have to get used to it while all of the nerves repair themselves.

I am not a doctor. Most of these opinions came directly from my ass.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Minister of Offence

My friend sliced his Achilles 100%, will never get full feeling back in his foot.

Not sure if that's the case for non-full cuts.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:45 PM
johan f

Thanx for the input Flamingo. I will have the mindset on that he will not tear up the league this season but perhaps not play as bad as in playoffs.

johan f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Thanx for the input Flamingo. I will have the mindset on that he will not tear up the league this season but perhaps not play as bad as in playoffs.
Keep in mind, he wasn't nearly as bad in the regular season after the injury as he was in the playoffs. His first game back he played 27 minutes, and he did well.

The playoffs are a different game, he has 8 months to get ready for that.

Doubt he comes out flying like he did at the start of last season though.

Old
09-15-2013, 04:55 PM
johan f

I assume his confidence relies on the skating. He hesitated alot in postseason. First game back was pure adrenalin and inspiration.

Old
09-15-2013, 04:59 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
I assume his confidence relies on the skating. He hesitated alot in postseason. First game back was pure adrenalin and inspiration.
It wasn't just 1st game back he did well.

He was on all 3 games in the regular season scoring 4 points with +3 I believe. Remember the clutch game he had against Boston. Stopping Marchand from breaking into a 2on1. The beauty pass he made to Methot to set up game winner. The backcheck he made and flick pass with empty net chip pass to Turris. Then he had a solid first game against Montreal.

The whole series he did well 1 goal 5 assists +5.

He has had 2 months to get better acquainted with his injury and what needs to be adjusted. It's not like he will be even worse than he was. I still expect Karlsson to dominate the league like he did in his Norris season but maybe not as he did at the beginning of last year.

Keep in mind that 2011-2012 Karlsson was best defender in league while 2012-2013 Karlsson was in conversation of best player. I think we'll still see the former and maybe half way through the season, hopefully, we will see part of the latter.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 05:12 PM
johan f

Ok, I hope so. I want to stay positive but what I saw in spring was not pretty.

Old
09-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Probably had to do with the fact playoff hockey and regular season hockey isn't even close to the same difficulty.

Old
09-15-2013, 05:27 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Ok, I hope so. I want to stay positive but what I saw in spring was not pretty.
Remember that he was unprepared in many ways because of his injury. Timing, in shape are just a few things. He operates at 175 pounds even though he's 6'0 so since his skating went away, he had nothing else to use.

What you saw was a player using only his hockey brain to play.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 10:57 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

KARLSSON LOOKED SO GORGEOUS OUT THERE MAN AND HE WASN'T EVENT TRYING BRUH.

Lets goooooo

Old
09-15-2013, 11:07 PM
mattsens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
KARLSSON LOOKED SO GORGEOUS OUT THERE MAN AND HE WASN'T EVENT TRYING BRUH.

Lets goooooo
Watching Karlsson and the snipe from Ryan made my day Awesome team coming in hot!

mattsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:25 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Karlsson's so good, he might even be able to win a Norris some day.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:58 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Guys, I don't wanna alarm anyone but I been looking at a couple clips from last year and compare em to this years and Karlsson seems to have his pivots, angles and skating back but he is struggling hard in terms of skating naturally.

Look at TSN highlight clip and notice how he accelerates after passing it to Ryan. With that being said, he still managed to increase speed fast and get where he wanted to like in the past.

I'm hoping this is nothing but just a different skating adjustment or it could be improved once he gains better accustomed feel to his leg but damn I used to love his former skating motions, maybe Im overreacting.

Old
09-16-2013, 02:14 AM
HavlatMach9

He's still healing. In his interviews it's obvious it's not perfect. He's talked about a lack of connection there and really he's only had a few months since his last playoffs.

Old
09-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Guys, I don't wanna alarm anyone but I been looking at a couple clips from last year and compare em to this years and Karlsson seems to have his pivots, angles and skating back but he is struggling hard in terms of skating naturally.

Look at TSN highlight clip and notice how he accelerates after passing it to Ryan. With that being said, he still managed to increase speed fast and get where he wanted to like in the past.

I'm hoping this is nothing but just a different skating adjustment or it could be improved once he gains better accustomed feel to his leg but damn I used to love his former skating motions, maybe Im overreacting.
Like said above, he's still healing.

The leg literally lost everything, and takes a LONG time to return to 100%.

Lots of players have stated it takes about a year to fully fully recover. So come February, if there are still glaring issues --- maybe then start to worry. For now, let him get used to playing again.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:54 AM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

On top of all that there's what is referred to as "mid-season form", and this was preseason game #1.

He'll clean up the little giveaways displayed late in the game, too.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:56 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

He looks better than the playoffs and that's something.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:29 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Making Karlsson threads on the main board is the kind of asshattery that we can do without.

I come here for actual hockey discussion, and if ****ing idiot Sens fans keep trying to push the collective buttons of the majority of this board, it really makes it difficult for that to happen.

So grow up already and don't go around trying to ruin it for everyone else.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:32 AM
corksens

I thought he looked good - acceleration back to an elite level.

But as others have mentioned, he's still figuring it all out. He'll be dominant again, of that I have no question.

It's too bad that Sens fans had to deal with this whole nonsense though. No other team sees their Norris winning defenseman go down like that in the following year. The Heatley nonsense. Alfie going the way he did. I feel like we are cursed sometimes.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:41 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Making Karlsson threads on the main board is the kind of asshattery that we can do without.

I come here for actual hockey discussion, and if ****ing idiot Sens fans keep trying to push the collective buttons of the majority of this board, it really makes it difficult for that to happen.
It's probably futile getting people to change how they post. If EK was on another team, it'd be the same thing. I think our fans are pretty good at not starting threads about him.

As for his injury, he'll be fine, maybe not as fine without that injury, but still he'll be more than entertaining every game.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:48 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

He needs to do a better job of managing the puck & not take careless chances with it. If he can cut down his mistakes, he will be even better than he is right now & he is one of, if not the best defenceman in the NHL. Watching the game last night it was like he was toying with the Jets to try & take the puck away from him, he needs to stop that & play a better puck protection game. That was a pretty good hip check by Karlsson on the 6'5" Wheeler, it seemed to have hurt him temporarily.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

My only criticism of Karlsson is that he makes a lot of us stupid.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:10 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy on the Road View Post
My only criticism of Karlsson is that he makes a lot of us stupid.
Like, on the main boards?

I agree. I think that 50% of the Karlsson hate on the main boards is specifically a result of Sens fans bringing him up on a near-daily basis.

Same reason there's so much hate for Crosby, and why so many people hated Gretzky back in the day: people resent the over-saturation, get sick of hearing about him all the time, and just say "enough!".

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Proust

Pretty much. Sens used to have a rep as a pretty rational bunch. These days, they are extra naseating. I can't stand a high proportion of them, and I am a Sens fan.

You know who you are.

Proust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:27 PM
JGPageau

The main boards are a collection of fanbases trying to yell over one another. You want to find quiet well thought out hockey discussion there good luck.

Karlsson > NHL

JGPageau is offline   Reply With Quote