HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

help saving a stick on his last legs

Old
12-05-2010, 08:05 PM
ryangib

vCash: 500
help saving a stick on his last legs

i have a one piece warrior that seems to be breaking where the company fused the blade and the shaft together. when i skate with the stick, i can feel like it kind of flopping up and down. kind of like if you've ever had a 2 piece and the glue kinda came loose. it's just wobbly. the good news, i can still shoot and what, but i'm afraid that it can't take much more. any advice on how i can tighten this up?

i'm REALLY hoping to avoid it but if it comes down to it, i guess i'll have to cut the blade off and put a new one in. will i have to put it in the opposite end of the shaft? i would really like it to feel as close to how it feels now as possible. any all advice welcome.

the picture below is where the crack is. i tried to fill it with some kind of epoxy, but i really didn't know what i was doing or what i was really even using. please help. this stick means the world to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 2.jpg‎ (83.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by ryangib: 12-05-2010 at 08:16 PM.
ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:40 PM
pass the bisk

if you cut it above the blade you would need a tapered blade, if you flip it, a standard would do but the kick points would be off

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:50 PM
ponder

Many 1-pieces are actually just 2-pieces that come glued together, I wonder if it's possible to pop the blade out and glue it back in properly. If you give the model/year of the stick someone on the boards may know if it can be done.

Edit: oops, meant many 1-pieces are actually 2-pieces, not the other way around, obviously

Last edited by ponder: 12-06-2010 at 01:17 AM.
ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:22 AM
ryangib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Many 2-pieces are actually just 1-pieces, I wonder if it's possible to pop the blade out and glue it back in properly. If you give the model/year of the stick someone on the boards my know if it can be done.

i had a game tonight, and brought the stick to get some of my teammates suggestions and one of them said just that. as far as the model, all i know is that it's a warrior dolomite, pro stock, made for some guy named Klemm? it's VERY similar to the stick in the picture. i'm going to take a heat gun to it tomorrow and hope for a successful surgery. thanks for the responses guys. any more help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: gif hockeymonkey_2133_166272028.gif‎ (4.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ryangib: 12-06-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old
12-06-2010, 01:11 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
i had a game tonight, and brought the stick to get some of my teammates suggestions and one of them said just that. as far as the model, all i know is that it's a warrior dolomite, pro stock, made for some guy named Klemm? it's VERY similar to the stick in the picture. i'm going to take a heat gun to it tomorrow and hope for a successful surgery. thanks for the responses guys. any more help would be greatly appreciated.
No idea personally if it's possible to remove the blade without cutting with this particular stick, so before trying anything wait a couple days and see if a more knowledgeable poster can comment (for example TBLfan, he seems to know his hockey gear real well). But if you try, make sure not to go too crazy with the heat, as you could damage the shaft. Just heat it up a bit, like you would with a regular 2 piece, try pulling/wiggling, repeat that a few times. If you feel like it might get there, but you can't quite get it out by hand, you can take out the plug on the butt end, heat it a bit, then put a piece of rebar (dirt cheap at a hardware store) down the shaft and try to hammer the blade out. If it's a 2 piece made to look like a 1 piece BUT they've epoxyed it in place, you'll have a hell of a time, but if it's a 2 piece made to look like a 1 piece with a weaker glue then it could be possible.

Old
12-06-2010, 04:25 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Jon Klemm, former NHL defenceman for the LA Kings and Dallas Stars fyi

Most Warrior sticks I've seen, esp that model, they have a sort of plastic foil that runs along the shaft and joins the blade in the shaft

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 04:44 PM
ryangib

me and klemmer have the exact same taste in sticks.

surgery was a success. i did my research, basically, the stick is for sure a 2 piece stick, made to look like a one piece stick during production.

got the old heat gun out of the garage, and had a go with it. i was getting ready to give up after a few minutes. somebody had said that if it was epoxyed that it wasn't gonna go. i moved up the shaft like an inch with the heat gun and the blade slid right out. i took a glue stick, melted the glue with the heat gun onto the plug in part of the top of the blade, then melted some glue at the bottom of the shaft. hit it with some spray paint and she's good as new.

i can't believe how good she feels. i can't believe how good i now feel. lets just hope she doesn't break at my game tonight.

not the best picture, but for what it's worth here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 3.jpg‎ (68.1 KB, 18 views)

Old
12-06-2010, 05:05 PM
ponder

Quote:
me and klemmer have the exact same taste in sticks.

surgery was a success. i did my research, basically, the stick is for sure a 2 piece stick, made to look like a one piece stick during production.

got the old heat gun out of the garage, and had a go with it. i was getting ready to give up after a few minutes. somebody had said that if it was epoxyed that it wasn't gonna go. i moved up the shaft like an inch with the heat gun and the blade slid right out. i took a glue stick, melted the glue with the heat gun onto the plug in part of the top of the blade, then melted some glue at the bottom of the shaft. hit it with some spray paint and she's good as new.

i can't believe how good she feels. i can't believe how good i now feel. lets just hope she doesn't break at my game tonight.

not the best picture, but for what it's worth here it is.
Awesome, glad this worked! You were able to do it without obviously damaging the shaft? i.e. no bubbling/burning from too much heat?

Old
12-06-2010, 05:28 PM
ryangib

no damage at all. the yuckiness on the paint is just from glue that spewed out when i put the blade back in.

Old
12-06-2010, 05:31 PM
ponder

Quote:
no damage at all. the yuckiness on the paint is just from glue that spewed out when i put the blade back in.
In that case the stick should perform like new!

Old
12-06-2010, 06:14 PM
canuck44

I guess this is why manufacturers say don't apply heat to OPS's

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
hitmanjat

Nice work, I am going to try this on my old Reebok 5k stick i shattered in half, if i can get the blade out i could use it with a shaft. I believe it wasnt a true 1 piece stick.

hitmanjat is offline   Reply With Quote