HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Nashville Predators Salary Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2010, 11:44 AM
  #26
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,699
vCash: 500
The problem is that we don't know what's up with Lombardi. All we hear are rumors and rumblings. I honestly think we are heading towards Sully and his back territory.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:56 PM
  #27
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I'd keep Goc and I'd really like to see Blum up instead of Morrisonn, but I think it's pretty good.
The logic behind the two deals is to free up enough funds (~$3m), in a way as to not negatively impact the starting foundation, to pay for one of the two big ($3m) UFA signings. The new players hypothetically acquired via trade (Morrisonn & Perreault) are in aggregate, at about half the price of what the exiting two players (Dumont & Goc) would be next season.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
The problem is that we don't know what's up with Lombardi. All we hear are rumors and rumblings. I honestly think we are heading towards Sully and his back territory.
Yup, in case the worst case scenario is realized wrt to Lombardi, my scenario banks on the maturation of a very young and talented, natural center...


FORWARDS
Ville Leino (~$3.000m) / Mathieu Perreault (~$0.750m) / Nikolai Zherdev (~$3.000m)
Sergei Kostitsyn ($0.850m) / Cal O'Reilly (~$1.025m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m)
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Colin Wilson ($1.725m) / Matt Halischuk (~0.600m)
Nick Spaling ($0.950m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.250m)
Mark Santorelli (~0.600m)
Wade Belak (~0.575m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($3.500m) / Shea Weber (~$6.500m)
Kevin Klein ($1.350m) / Francis Bouillon ($1.350m)
Shaone Morrisonn ($2.075m) / Cody Franson ($0.800m)
Jonathon Blum ($0.941m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($3.400m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)


SALARY CAP: $62,400,000
CAP PAYROLL: $50,000,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $12,400,000
Matthew Lombardi LTIR ($3.500m)


...I'm also bullish on Halischuk & Santorelli and believe at least one of the two will be a full-time Pred in a year or so.


Last edited by JawandaPuck: 12-26-2010 at 02:53 PM.
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 11:07 PM
  #28
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ward could be a luxury on the 4th line and if Nashville has the extra cash they could jump on him.
Based on his current form, Ward is not a luxury of any kind.

The Lombardi situation determines Goc's fate. He has played well enough to earn a new contract, but if Lombardi proves ready for 11-12, and we're keeping O'Reilly and Legwand, we can't give him the playing time he deserves, and I would fully expect him to be allowed to test the market.

Of course, the elephant in the room on pretty much every transaction we could make is the "old guard:" Sullivan and Dumont. Sully could probably be brought back for a reasonable sumif we so chose (or maybe even as a coach), but Dumont shows no signs of being the player we need him to be. A team with more hard cash and cap space to burn might give us a token asset for him, but he also has a NMC that Poile would have to work around if he were to try to move JP. A buyout is also not completely unfeasible here; it would save us $3M next year, although it costs us $1.5M in 2012-13, but it opens up a roster spot for a player with more upside like Klasen or Halischuk, so it could be more than just a monetary incentive to pay Dumont to disappear.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 12:14 AM
  #29
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think we're all on the same boat with upgrading our offense, but at what cost?
Better drafting, or better trades.

Sure, Pittsburgh has their dominant team in large part to having a couple of high-end picks.

But, other teams ahead of us draft better offensive talent (in equal or worse draft position than us), and aren't afraid to make some moves.

Detroit's big 3 offensive weapons (Zetterberg, Datsuk, Franson) we're all drafted 3rd round or later. While some would say our drafting has been good, theirs has been better, and it's a big reason why they finish ahead of us every year.

Philly, the other conference leader, hasn't had a top 10 pick in years, yet still manages to find the high end talent.

Other teams ahead of us have made trades for true talent. Chicago got Patrick Sharp for peanuts. Dallas got Richards for not much. They've also drafted 1st line talent outside the 1st round. As for Richard's salary, I'm sure some would say "we couldn't afford that". I don't buy it. Richards > Legwand + Dumont's 8.5m salary. We just didn't invest our monetary resources wisely enough for a cash-strapped team.

I'm not saying the answers are easy, but the true playoff contenders are finding the answers. Some with draft position help, some without.

As for next year, like every year, we have to see some upgrades if we expect to beat the best. Our current roster and prospect pool simply doesn't have the talent to be playoff winners.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 02:03 AM
  #30
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
out of curiosity, if legwand, lombardi, sullivan, and erat are all on IR, are we above the cap floor? or are there rules that would let us carry a 36 million dollar payroll? i know that we would just scratch guys instead of letting that happen, i was just curious

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 06:20 AM
  #31
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
out of curiosity, if legwand, lombardi, sullivan, and erat are all on IR, are we above the cap floor? or are there rules that would let us carry a 36 million dollar payroll? i know that we would just scratch guys instead of letting that happen, i was just curious
I believe that players on IR still have their salaries count against the cap, but that players on LTIR (which none of our players are on, yet - Lombardi) are the ones that you get cap relief from.

The team is not in danger of going below the salary floor. We are still much closer to the midpoint and additionally, I believe our lease with Metro entails that the team has to spend close to the midpoint of the cap each season on payroll, but 101st can correct me on that...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 01:37 PM
  #32
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I believe that players on IR still have their salaries count against the cap, but that players on LTIR (which none of our players are on, yet - Lombardi) are the ones that you get cap relief from.

The team is not in danger of going below the salary floor. We are still much closer to the midpoint and additionally, I believe our lease with Metro entails that the team has to spend close to the midpoint of the cap each season on payroll, but 101st can correct me on that...
now that you say that, it makes sense as jersey had their guys hit LTIR and that saved them. call it a mental lapse at 2am

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 03:26 PM
  #33
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
No insurance on Lombardi due to past concussion history...

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...nce-situation/

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:17 PM
  #34
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,966
vCash: 500
That sucks. Before I saw this I was about to post asking if we got screwed on Lombardi in that he had a concussion history we didn't know about. Because it seemed pretty strange that one beaning caused such long term and severe symptoms. Usually it happens after multiple concussions.

Not a knock on Lombardi but he was out ten months in 2003 after an elbow? Wow. It reminds me of some top boxers who just can't take punches. Just the way the skull/brain is cushioned on some guys is different. Other guys (Muhammad Ali ...) can take punishment nobody should and are fine.

Well, if the Preds get no relief I can't say Poile didn't know about his history. Although I'm sure it was so long ago they didn't weigh it all that heavily.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 04:39 PM
  #35
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
That sucks. Before I saw this I was about to post asking if we got screwed on Lombardi in that he had a concussion history we didn't know about. Because it seemed pretty strange that one beaning caused such long term and severe symptoms. Usually it happens after multiple concussions.

Not a knock on Lombardi but he was out ten months in 2003 after an elbow? Wow. It reminds me of some top boxers who just can't take punches. Just the way the skull/brain is cushioned on some guys is different. Other guys (Muhammad Ali ...) can take punishment nobody should and are fine.

Well, if the Preds get no relief I can't say Poile didn't know about his history. Although I'm sure it was so long ago they didn't weigh it all that heavily.
Lombardi missed 10 months after his first concussion due to the neck injury he sustained in addition to his concussion from Hatcher's vicious elbow...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 05:50 PM
  #36
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,966
vCash: 500
Well, he seems to blame it on the concussion. He said he "was out awhile with symptoms" when talking about that injury and that you don't know why one lasts longer than another. Cooper

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 06:41 PM
  #37
tserberis*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
now that you say that, it makes sense as jersey had their guys hit LTIR and that saved them. call it a mental lapse at 2am
As far as know it does not matter IR or LTIR. They both count agains your cap. But as soon as you hit the roof you get the relief for the amount of IR's... It also has to do with your active roster numbers. If you have enough player you won't get the relief for call up or new signing.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
  #38
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,755
vCash: 500
Just doing some quick math (subtracting all the UFA's off this year's team + adding in all the increases of players that are due increases) = 40,238,000 (Suter + Weber along with all RFA's will need increases) ... I'm thinking 60 Mil is going to be the Cap which makes 52 Million the Mid Point ... Who can we pickup for our scoring doldrums ?

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
  #39
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 30,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Just doing some quick math (subtracting all the UFA's off this year's team + adding in all the increases of players that are due increases) = 40,238,000 (Suter + Weber along with all RFA's will need increases) ... I'm thinking 60 Mil is going to be the Cap which makes 52 Million the Mid Point ... Who can we pickup for our scoring doldrums ?
Have to build in a bit of a cushion, knowing that 2012-13 will(hopefully) be the first year of what should be pretty big contracts for Rinne and Suter.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
  #40
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Have to build in a bit of a cushion, knowing that 2012-13 will(hopefully) be the first year of what should be pretty big contracts for Rinne and Suter.
You can take off ... Bouillion (1.5), Tootoo (1.2) & Dumont (4) off the books that season

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:31 PM
  #41
Reviled
Partisan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Now that the season is over, can whoever has the original chart at the top of the thread update it, please? Thanks

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:38 PM
  #42
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveTheTeamAlready View Post
Now that the season is over, can whoever has the original chart at the top of the thread update it, please? Thanks
Season isn't over yet.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:49 PM
  #43
Reviled
Partisan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Season isn't over yet.


Good one! You got me: there's still one exhibition match still to go.

And here i am already looking to pack up a gold playoff shirt, rally towel, and white throw-to-the-crowd t-shirt to send to an overseas fan...what am I thinking?

ETA: Still would like to see the info updated if possible.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:55 PM
  #44
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveTheTeamAlready View Post


Good one! You got me: there's still one exhibition match still to go.
It's still a chance, some thing a lot of other teams at this point don't have.

Quote:
And here i am already looking to pack up a gold playoff shirt, rally towel, and white throw-to-the-crowd t-shirt to send to an overseas fan...what am I thinking?
Was there a need to make this comment?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:13 PM
  #45
Reviled
Partisan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Was there a need to make this comment?
Dont be mad you're not the exclusive one to get some swag.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:51 AM
  #46
Traded Legwand
Moderator
Vote for Weber
 
Traded Legwand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Smyrna, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Ill update over the weekend.

Traded Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:04 AM
  #47
Reviled
Partisan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
Ill update over the weekend.
Super, thanks, TL!

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:45 AM
  #48
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Very rough numbers staying with Weber at $7mil per season. If we buyout Dumont and Lombardi, that saves the team $5mil in cap room next season. Buying out only Dumont saves the team $2.6mil in 11-12, costs the team $1.3mil in 12-13.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($1.000m)
Matt Halischuk ($1.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m)
Colin Wilson ($1.725m) / Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m) / Cal O'Reilly ($1.000m)
Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Nick Spaling ($1.000m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.250m)
Matthew Lombardi ($3.500m) / J.P. Dumont ($4.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($3.500m) / Shea Weber ($7.000m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.350m) / Kevin Klein ($1.350m)
Cody Franson ($0.800m) / Jonathon Blum ($0.941m)
Roman Josi ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($3.400m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,837,500; BONUSES: $1,450,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,562,500

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:35 AM
  #49
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Is there enough money that we could do a Weber/Suter signing together with similar deals? And still have money left over for a scoring forward?

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
  #50
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
I read over on the main boards that the Predators spend more on forwards than the Canucks do.

This is totally shocking to me. WTF?

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.