HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Same time, next week...

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2004, 10:26 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Same time, next week...

...we will be anxiously preparing for the Entry draft, always an exciting moment.

As a Hab fan, I enter this usually rumor-filled week in a somewhat pessimistic mode.

The Kovalev thing has really taken the wind out of me, I really enjoyed fianlly having a premium offensive player to watch.

I did not like hearing Gainey say "the offer we made him was based on the place we occupy in the marketplace", meaning that, at least on the finacial side, we are a middle-of-the-pack team not able to compete with the Detroitss, New Yorks, Philadelphias and even, regrettably, Torontos of this world to lure or keep at least a few high-end players.

Hopefully, while the short-term effects might mean no hockey for at least part of next year, the new collective bargaining agreement will place less emphasis on $$$, and more on management skills, in terms of which teams end up prevailing, although this year was an exception with low payroll teams making it all the way.

I also have entered at least the last 5 draft weeks hoping the Habs would finally address their size problem, particularly up front, not with their 7th Rounder for guys like Jonathan Ferland, but with premium picks for premium potential power forwards, to then go to bed disappointed after the draft.

While Andre Savard must be given credit for assembling a lot of young skilled players, the time has more than come to complement them with modern-sized power forwards, and hopefully this year will be the year when the Habs finally start addressing this problem, not only in teh Draft, but also in trades or UFA signings...

Old
06-19-2004, 10:40 AM
markov`

Gainey just learned with Guerin. He offered him big money and he sucked in Dallas. That's all.

In my opinion, Kovalev will leave and we will not resign another star. The most likely scenario is we move up in the 3-8 spots and we draft a NHL ready prospect, that wouldn't surprise me.

Old
06-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
...we will be anxiously preparing for the Entry draft, always an exciting moment.

As a Hab fan, I enter this usually rumor-filled week in a somewhat pessimistic mode.

The Kovalev thing has really taken the wind out of me, I really enjoyed fianlly having a premium offensive player to watch.

I did not like hearing Gainey say "the offer we made him was based on the place we occupy in the marketplace", meaning that, at least on the finacial side, we are a middle-of-the-pack team not able to compete with the Detroitss, New Yorks, Philadelphias and even, regrettably, Torontos of this world to lure or keep at least a few high-end players.

Hopefully, while the short-term effects might mean no hockey for at least part of next year, the new collective bargaining agreement will place less emphasis on $$$, and more on management skills, in terms of which teams end up prevailing, although this year was an exception with low payroll teams making it all the way.

I also have entered at least the last 5 draft weeks hoping the Habs would finally address their size problem, particularly up front, not with their 7th Rounder for guys like Jonathan Ferland, but with premium picks for premium potential power forwards, to then go to bed disappointed after the draft.

While Andre Savard must be given credit for assembling a lot of young skilled players, the time has more than come to complement them with modern-sized power forwards, and hopefully this year will be the year when the Habs finally start addressing this problem, not only in teh Draft, but also in trades or UFA signings...
Well, I prefer they draft big guys with their 7th round pick when they used to waste their 1st overall pick on similar talents (Ward, etc...) .... cause yes, I expect Ferland to improve his skating and to become like, or maybe more effective than Ward.

Old
06-19-2004, 11:27 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Gainey just learned with Guerin. He offered him big money and he sucked in Dallas. That's all.

In my opinion, Kovalev will leave and we will not resign another star. The most likely scenario is we move up in the 3-8 spots and we draft a NHL ready prospect, that wouldn't surprise me.
how moving abou 3 to 8 spots being that useful? Everyone thinks that from the 10th to 40th spot, there's not a so big difference...

Old
06-19-2004, 11:39 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
how moving abou 3 to 8 spots being that useful? Everyone thinks that from the 10th to 40th spot, there's not a so big difference...
I agree with you ,from the 10th to the 40th spot ANYTHING can happen I think that guys like Fransson can be available at 40 but moving to the top 10 can be useful IMO we need a Big good defenceman Barker can be the solution or a skilled center Olesz can be the solution but you know the price gonna be HEAVY for nothing but move 3 to 8 spots can't be very useful IMO.Guys stop trying to proposing trade to move up in the draft I know if we move up we can get a very good player but you know anything can happen in the draft , stop making trade proposal to move up in the draft because at 18th there will be very good player , guys like Green , Meszaros,Korpikoski and I think Shremp or Graham can fall ,Graham can fall for sure but I don't think Shremp can fall anyways I can live with our 18 draft pick.

Last edited by CH Wizard: 06-19-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old
06-19-2004, 06:21 PM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Armstrong signed Guerin, not Gainey. Gainey signed Audette and Turgeon. Desperation and ownership likely brought about those signings for the most part.

I think the Habs believe there will be a lockout. We've only made one signing this off-season (Lambert), and that includes our coaching staff who become unemployed on July 1 as well. Every other team has at least locked up their coaching staff, unless they are still advertising openings (Rangers, Columbus, Phoenix).

Old
06-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
I would be really happy to move up,but I would be happy If we pick at 18th because there will still be some good player available(Korpikoski,Green etc).Finally,I really don't get why people want MTL to draft some big guy(Power Forward),those kind of pick are verry risky,but If you go with the BPA,your sure he will do something for your team,don't forget that If we got some verry good prospect we will always be able to trade some to get a Power Forwar or a big defenseman,I think MTL should learn from Is mistake ala..Matt Higgins ,anyway my 2 cent good day

Old
06-19-2004, 11:10 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
I would be really happy to move up,but I would be happy If we pick at 18th because there will still be some good player available(Korpikoski,Green etc).Finally,I really don't get why people want MTL to draft some big guy(Power Forward),those kind of pick are verry risky,but If you go with the BPA,your sure he will do something for your team,don't forget that If we got some verry good prospect we will always be able to trade some to get a Power Forwar or a big defenseman,I think MTL should learn from Is mistake ala..Matt Higgins ,anyway my 2 cent good day
Matt Higgins wasn't hyped to become a PF. He was just about average at every level (with no ice vision). That was probably the worst draft year of the last decade in it whole..

Terry Ryan was an attempt to draft a PF that stanked it up.

Closed Thread