HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jan Marek

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Balej20*

vCash: 500
Jan Marek

Jan Marek...Anyone have any insight on this kid? Thanks

Old
06-25-2004, 06:52 AM
Fish

Only that he was considering an offer from the Rangers last summer and elected to stay in the Czech Republic instead...

Old
06-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Jan Marek...Anyone have any insight on this kid? Thanks
Marek has more skills than Prucha. He's more of a goal scorer. But he's not two-way as is Prucha and he's maybe 1-2 years behind Prucha in development. Petr Prucha might be able to make the Rangers' squad if there is a 2004-2005 season. Marek is too raw just yet. But he's got a potent upside.

Marek may never pan out as an NHL force because it's still up in the air how his game would translate into the smaller NHL rink in a molasses league with a lot of clutch and grab. But he's a natural finisher and at this particular moment, nobody can say that he hasn't been successful so far.

He was second in scoring after the first round of the ExtraLiga Playoffs this spring (after which he didn't play). He was fifth in regular season scoring league-wide and led his team (Sparta) by a wide margin. The previous season he led Trinec in goal scoring before moving to Prague.

Last edited by Rodent: 06-25-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old
06-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Marek has more skills than Prucha. He's more of a goal scorer. But he's not two-way as is Prucha and he's maybe 1-2 years behind Prucha in development. Petr Prucha might be able to make the Rangers' squad if there is a 2004-2005 season. Marek is too raw just yet. But he's got a potent upside.

Marek may never pan out as an NHL force because it's still up in the air how his game would translate into the smaller NHL rink in a molasses league with a lot of clutch and grab. But he's a natural finisher and at this particular moment, nobody can say that he hasn't been successful so far.

He was second in scoring after the first round of the ExtraLiga Playoffs this spring.
Marek being 25 years old is worth a shot I think, if he sucks then no big deal he just goes back home, not like we have a chance to ruin a promising 19 year old. If he can produce in NHL then the safe gamble has paid off and he could later be packaged for more promising youth.

Old
06-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Marek being 25 years old is worth a shot I think, if he sucks then no big deal he just goes back home, not like we have a chance to ruin a promising 19 year old. If he can produce in NHL then the safe gamble has paid off and he could later be packaged for more promising youth.
If the kid is 25, he is almost past prospect age...if he's gonna be anything, hes gonna have to do it soon.

Old
06-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Have you ever heard of the term "chattle"?

What the heck is "just goes back home?" What the heck is "packaged for more promising youth."?

You make it sound like Marek "belongs" to Glen Sather who can do what he wishes with the kid like he was property irrespective of what Marek wants, irrespective of what his parent team Sparta wants.

"Slap a coat of paint on it and see if it'll sell. If not, then junk it for spare parts."

That's what you sound like.

The Rangers don't "own" Marek. They simply own his NHL rights.

Look. I had extensive discussions with a Prague beatwriter about Marek this spring because (on paper) the kid looks ready. The feedback was that the kid still isn't ready.

Keep in mind that despite being healthy, Marek was passed over by Lener for the Worlds, whereas the younger Prucha not only was selected, but played PP with Jagr.

Still, under normal circumstances you might invite Marek to training camp. But until a new CBA is in place these are not "normal circumstances" and you have got to look at it from the point of view of both Marek and his parent club, Sparta Praha.

Marek will see it as a choice between Sparta and the Wolfpack and remaining with Sparta is a slam dunk when faced with that choice. None of these guys (Prucha included) wish to leave C. R. to play in Hartford. In fact Prucha's agent was pushing to have Petr's contract ensure he was with the big club, not Hartford. And if that's a tough sell for Prucha, then Marek hasn't a chance to obtain such guarantees.

As you can see from his stats, Marek has been a late bloomer, just coming into his own in 2002-2003.

http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?lng=CZ...hrace&idh=3823

He is a big star in the ExtraLiga. He's being treated very well by Sparta (the Czech equivalent of the big-spending Rangers) who acquired him from Trinec over last summer.

And from Sparta's point of view, they're motivated to keep him and make him as comfortable as possible in an effort to prevent him from leaving for the NHL, let alone Hartford.

Given a choice between being a big star in the NHL versus being a big star in ExtraLiga, I'd agree that most players would prefer to be a big star in the NHL.

But given the choice between being a big star in the Extraliga versus being "just another guy" in the NHL - or worse - not every Czech is going to jump at the chance to become marginalized.

And I guarantee you this much: Marek is looking out for the best interests of Marek, not the best interests of the New York Rangers - particularly when he could be treated as chattle just as you suggest in the paragraph I quoted at the top of this reply.

Old
06-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Rodent

Quote:
The other thing I neglected to mention is the perspective of Sparta.

It's one thing to invite Marek to training camp and (if he fails to make NYR) send the kid back to Sparta in time for the bulk of the Extraliga regular season.

Czech clubs are prepared for that contingency.

But training camp is not the same as trying the kid out for a couple of months to see if he can stick with NYR through Christmas.

What then?

You've "stolen" Sparta's best player for more than 1/2 of the ExtraLiga regular season and now NYR is just gonna "spit him back"??????

If Sparta loses Marek for more than training camp because Glen Sather puts Marek on the NYR roster, then Sparta is not going to wait around. They're going to backfill as quickly as possible. They'll make a trade in October.

Contracts will be signed, payrolls put in place.

Marek is their best scorer. If he's not going to be on the team, then Sparta must move in a different direction right away.

Should Marek spontaneously "become available" to return to C. R. after Christmas there are going to be a whole slew of angry people in Prague.

This is why the IIHF had an agreement with the NHL. It was in place to provide as little disruption to the European professional leagues as possible.

Sorry fella. The world of international ice hockey does not revolve around the NHL clubs and their parochial plans, let alone yours for Jan Marek.

You can't just "send him back" as you suggest.

Old
06-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Prucha73

Rodent, I understand what you are saying, I might have sounded like Marek is some piece of meat, I am sorry, didn't mean to offend. Of course Marek has to have a desire to play in NHL, if he is happy to stay in Czech Republic for the rest of his career then obviously there is no point discussing it. I don't know whether he is interested to play in NHL or not, but I assume in general most hockey players do. 2 things that could be tried if Marek is interested: either invite him only for the training camp and if he doesn't impress then release him back or since we have no pressure winning and getting to the playoffs, give Marek one full season in NHL to play on the top 2 lines and see how he does, if he doesn't do good then don't renew his contract. How much is Marek making in Czech Republic in USD terms?

Last edited by Prucha73: 06-25-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old
06-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Rodent

Quote:
either invite him only for the training camp and if he doesn't impress then release him back or since we have no pressure winning and getting to the playoffs, give Marek one full season in NHL to play on the top 2 lines and see how he does, if he doesn't do good then don't renew his contract.
Not a matter of "offending" at all. It was clear that you were looking at this from a North American point of view. I personally don't take offense. But the Czech readers do/would. They consider Marek "their" player. They consider Prucha "their" player. I do not mean to single you out. My reaction was because your words were typical of what I see appearing on the message boards when it comes to discussing Euro-prospects.

This attitude also spans Russia.

I hear a bunch of whining (not from you) about the zillions of dollars the Russians want for freeing up Alex Ovechkin to go play in the NHL as if the NHL had some kind of unilateral entitlement to raid a team who has a contract with Ovechkin through 2006.

Alex is much of what he is because of his innate talent.

But the remainder of what he is today is thanks to having been developed in the Russian system. And his team depends a lot on Ovechkin - not just to put in goals - but to attract fans and generate revenue for the Federation.

I do not blame them for demanding $3M ransom to release Ovechkin. He's worth that much and more to the Russians if he remains there.

In fact, this theme is so important, I now intend to turn this discussion into a Rodent Rant. I shall leave off your name so as not to appear as if I'm writing a rant just to pick on you personally.

I know your expressions were not intended to insult the Czech fans nor the ExtraLiga. I understand that it was simply a case of you not having "seen" Marek's situation from his perspective. Once this perspective is explained to people, they usually "click" and see the light.

As for your new approaches:

1 - training camp

2 - two-year contract with guarantee to keep him up with big team and then make keep/release decision afterwards

This is PRECISELY what his agent is gunning for. This is what Marek wants. He wants a "cup of tea" to get a sense for what NHL hockey is like. That's training camp for you.

If he doesn't feel confident after training camp, then he goes back home and Sparta accepts him with open arms and Sparta doesn't need to scramble to backfill the guy.

But if Marek does feel confident he can play with the big boys, he'd like a one-way contract such that he's not summarily ditched should he struggle for a few weeks going in as he learns the NHL game.

Almost all youngsters want the security of a commitment to give them time to adjust "on the job".

Yes, the AHL is normally such a proving ground. But for Euro players on pro teams, the AHL is a slap in the face and it hurts the level of play back in Prague to have Marke playing in Hartford rather than with Sparta.

Closed Thread