HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Best & Worst

Old
12-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Best & Worst

With this decade just about over I figured we could talk about some of our best and worst moves. so give me your choices.
From 2000-2010
Best Free Agent Signing:
Best Trade:
Best Draft Pick:

Worst Free Agent Signing:
Worst Trade:
Worst Draft Pick:

here are mine:

Best Free Agent Signing: Michael Nylander. A PPG+ player for only 3 mil a year. Frikkin steal.

Best Trade: Rangers acquire Jaromir Jagr for Anson Carter...with the Caps picking up some of the tab to boot!

Best Draft Pick:Henrik Lundqvist: 204 players taken before him...including #1 overall pick Rick DiPietro

Worst Free Agent Signing: Wade Redden. 6 years, 6.5 million dollars a season, and he didnt even last 1/2 the contract before being sent to the minors. Without a doubt the worst contract given out in a series of awful contracts.

Worst Trade: There are a few to choose from, but im going the sentimental route. Even though we ended up getting Michael Sauer from the trade, I still think trading Brian Leetch was frikkin disgusting.

Worst Draft Pick: Hugh Jessiman. Need I say more?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:15 AM
JeffMangum
Herrrooooiiinnnn

vCash: 300
Some of these are only from my time; since the lockout.

Best Free Agent Signing: Vinny Prospal; 58 points for 1.1 mil? STEAL
Best Trade: Gomez trade
Best Draft Pick: Lundqvist, Callahan

Worst Free Agent Signing: Redden quite easily; 6.5 mil to sit in the minors
Worst Trade: Leetch trade
Worst Draft Pick: Do I have to put it?

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:15 AM
17futurecap

With this decade just about over I figured we could talk about some of our best and worst moves. so give me your choices.
From 2000-2010
Best Free Agent Signing: Gaborik
Best Trade: Jagr
Best Draft Pick: The King

Worst Free Agent Signing: Redden
Worst Trade: Leetch
Worst Draft Pick: The Speciman, also thought about the great goalies of Montoya and Lafleur.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
From 2000-2010

Worst Draft Pick: The Speciman, also thought about the great goalies of Montoya and Lafleur.
i absolutely HATED the Montoya (& Korpi) pick when it happened...though the guy I wanted, Olesz, has hardly turned into a guy worthy of a pick that high.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:23 AM
asparkoflife

Best FA signing: Im gonna go Straka here. Guy was really injury prone prior to signing here and was part of the best Ranger line of the decade at a good price
Best Draft Pick: Hank and Staal

Worst Signing: Redden
Worst trade: Leetch
Worst Pick: Montoya

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:23 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i absolutely HATED the Montoya (& Korpi) pick when it happened...though the guy I wanted, Olesz, has hardly turned into a guy worthy of a pick that high.
I feel like the first rule a person would teach a scout just starting is to never want to take a goalie early in the draft

Old
12-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I feel like the first rule a person would teach a scout just starting is to never want to take a goalie early in the draft
TOTALLY agree...they have so little trade value, and you can always seem to find a goalie out there a-la Bryzgalov, Halak etc.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Best Free Agent Signing: Nylander
Best Trade: Acquiring Jagr
Best Draft Pick: Lundqvist

Worst Trade: Tyutin/Zherdev
Worst Draft Pick: Jessiman

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:34 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
From 2000-2010

Nailed it.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:36 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
TOTALLY agree...they have so little trade value, and you can always seem to find a goalie out there a-la Bryzgalov, Halak etc.
Yeah and being completely honest you don't need a God in net if you have a properly constructed, competitive, post lock out team.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think it's too early to chalk Gaborik up as a great signing. So far, yes. But we won't know for sure until the contract ends.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:40 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think it's too early to chalk Gaborik up as a great signing. So far, yes. But we won't know for sure until the contract ends.
I thought about that, and loved Nylander who played so well here, but I have hope and faith Gabby will take us to the promise land so it is me picking him as an optimists I guess, and hoping he can score around 40 year after year.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:50 AM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Best trade would be the Jagr for Carter.Honorable mention for Boyle for a 3rd(who thought that pan anything). The other two i thought of were Houdinis, Gomez to create cap for Gaborik and Kotalik, Higgins for Prust and Jokinen
Best free agent for me would be Nylander, for the price and his surprising compatibility with jags.
Best draft pick would be Hank ,think it will hard to find anyone who would disagree

Worst trade for me was Tyutin for Zherdev and Mike York for that terrrrrrrrrible defenseman Tom Poti
Worst free agent Redden, honorable mention for centers Drury and Gomez
Worst draft pick would be Montoya

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:59 AM
rickyrod

Best Free Agent Signing: Marian Gaborik
Best Trade: Jagr for Carter, which is probably the best completely positive trade ever in Rangers history (as opposed to the half-negative trades of Gomez, Higgins and Kotalik).
Best Draft Pick: Henrik Lundqvist, 2000, 205th overall.
Best Waiver Pick Up: Sean Avery on re-entry, half price

Worst Free Agent Signing: Wade Redden
Worst Trade: Brian Leetch to the Leafs for Drats, Immo and picks that became Korpi and Sauer. Heartbreaking. Only useful piece, Sauer, is constantly injured, though playing very well right now.
Worst Draft Pick: Jessiman hurts a lot. Players drafted after him: Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Anthony Stewart, Brian Boyle, Corey Perry, Loui Eriksson, Matt Carle, Shea Weber, David Backes, Jimmy Howard, Carcillo, Clarke MacArthur, Lee Stempniak, Nathan Paetsch, Joe Pavelski, Dustin Byfuglien, Matt Moulson, Tanner Glass, Jaroslav Halak, just to name the ones that stuck out on a quick glance down the list.

Quote:
In the bigger sense, yes, but we're not talking about the future, just about what worked within the decade, which is over in less than a month. Gaborik had been the best FA pick up for a team that has an absolutely dreadful track record on FA signings.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 03:45 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

This one is pretty easy:

Worst Draft Pick: Jessiman (although this one gets A HUGE STEAMING PILE OF MENTION TO Lefleur - ******* did I hate that pick)

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 03:57 AM
mike14

Quote:

This for mine.

I understand people saying Leetch for the worst trade due to the way it was done, but the return was good, they just shat the bed with the picks

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:52 AM
NYRSchrute217

Best Trade: Jagr for Carter
Best Draft Pick: Lundqvist (value pick) or Staal (1st rounder)

Worst Trade: Tyutin/Zherdev...Z was good, but losing Toots for one year of him hurt us. Luckily we have a solid prospect corp of d-men

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:37 AM
DutchShamrock

The rest are no brainers but best signing is Nylander, it wasn't just the results or point totals for him, he helped form one of the best lines in hockey during his tenure. Can't say the same about Gaborik.

And the worst trade isn't as clear cut either. I still say Leetch but Tyutin is up there. Leetch is bad because we shouldn't have moved him, but if you do it, it needs to be for more than Sauer at the end of the day. We wasted almost every aspect of that trade. For the NHL club, in this decade, the Leetch trade netted us a few months of hockey from Sauer and a lackluster rookie year from Korpikoski. At least Zherdev returned a pretty good season statistically.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:53 AM
lovetherangers

Best Free Agent Signing: Marion Gaborik
Best Trade: Jaromir Jagr
Best Draft Pick: Henrik Lundqvist

Worst Free Agent Signing: Wade Redden
Worst Trade: Brian Leetch
Worst Draft Pick: Hugh Jessiman

Funny, all the positives are Europeans, and all the negatives are North Americans.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:

Nailed it. I'd throw out there the Lindros trade for worst trade as well, as he had one good season, we never made the playoffs and Kim Johnsson became a really good defenseman for the next 5 years.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:19 AM
MSG the place to be*

Honorable Mentions:

Best Free Agent Signing: Shanahan - helped restore the pride of wearing the blueshirt

Best Trade: Avery - brought life to the Garden in that first year like no one else could

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:42 PM
rickyrod

If we're doing honorable mentions, Sandis Ozolinsh was one of the worst trades we ever made. I still feel the punch in the gut when I think about his own goal against the Devils in the 03 playoffs. I can't even remember what we gave up for him (the pick we got for Niemo, I think?), but Ozo was such a negative addition that it doesn't matter anyway.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
ecemleafs

how is tyutin the worst trade? hes a healthy scratch in columbus these days while zherdev was the leading scorer for us in his year here.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

From 2000-2010

Best Free Agent Signing: I'm going to have to say Gaborik followed by Girardi. However, personally, The year Gabby was a free agent so were the Sedin twins. I would have thrown all my money at the Sedin twins. That's if they even explored options. I remember debating with many on these forums on whether or not the Sedin twins will ever be elite hockey players. I thought they were on the verge of being stars. I guess we now know the answer to that.

Best Trade: I'm going to have to go with the acquisition of Jagr. That era did wonders in bringing respect back to the Rangers franchise. Jagr was leading the way along w/ Renney to end the long playoff drought.

Best Draft Pick: Lundqvist b/c of his elite status and where in the draft he went.

Worst Free Agent Signing: Wade Redden. Not sure we even did any scouting in regards to this guy before signing him to that contract. The decline in his play was evident in his last days as a Senator.

Worst Trade: Trading Tyutin for Zherdev and then losing Zherdev to Free Agency comes to mind...However...the most glaring is the season right before the lock out. We ended up trading away players Like Kovalev and Leetch and none of the deals brought any top prospects or draft picks and left the Rangers a barren stripped club that would go on to finish the season with an awful 27-40-7-8 record which landed them in fourth in the Atlantic Division, missing the playoffs for franchise record seventh year in a row. We had an option of either getting Balej or Plekanec in the Kovalev trade. Let's just say we made the wrong move. I feel we didn't manage our assets well in that season before the lockout.

Worst Draft Pick: Jessiman in a pool that included Brown, Getzlaf, Parise etc.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
From 2000-2010

Best Free Agent Signing: I'm going to have to say Gaborik followed by Girardi. However, personally, The year Gabby was a free agent so were the Sedin twins. I would have thrown all my money at the Sedin twins. That's if they even explored options. I remember debating with many on these forums on whether or not the Sedin twins will ever be elite hockey players. I thought they were on the verge of being stars. I guess we now know the answer to that.

Best Trade: I'm going to have to go with the acquisition of Jagr. That era did wonders in bringing respect back to the Rangers franchise. Jagr was leading the way along w/ Renney to end the long playoff drought.

Best Draft Pick: Lundqvist b/c of his elite status and where in the draft he went.

Worst Free Agent Signing: Wade Redden. Not sure we even did any scouting in regards to this guy before signing him to that contract. The decline in his play was evident in his last days as a Senator.

Worst Trade: Trading Tyutin for Zherdev and then losing Zherdev to Free Agency comes to mind...However...the most glaring is the season right before the lock out. We ended up trading away players Like Kovalev and Leetch and none of the deals brought any top prospects or draft picks and left the Rangers a barren stripped club that would go on to finish the season with an awful 27-40-7-8 record which landed them in fourth in the Atlantic Division, missing the playoffs for franchise record seventh year in a row. We had an option of either getting Balej or Plekanec in the Kovalev trade. Let's just say we made the wrong move. I feel we didn't manage our assets well in that season before the lockout.

Worst Draft Pick: Jessiman in a pool that included Brown, Getzlaf, Parise etc.
to be fair, if there wasnt a lockout, and that ridiculous random draft crap that they did, we would have had a damn good shot at getting Crosby..and while I love Staal, id take Crosby over Staal 100 times out of 100.