HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

TPS Response R2

Old
12-03-2010, 10:04 PM
quam12

vCash: 500
TPS Response R2

I have been looking at the TPS Response R2 OPS (Senior) and have seen the weight listed as 475g and also as 426g.

I was just hoping someone could confirm the weight of this stick as for the price it seems extremely light.

I have also been considering the Sherwood RM9 OPS Senior and would greatly appreciate anyones opinions on which stick to purchase

Cheers

quam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:59 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by quam12 View Post
I have been looking at the TPS Response R2 OPS (Senior) and have seen the weight listed as 475g and also as 426g.

I was just hoping someone could confirm the weight of this stick as for the price it seems extremely light.

I have also been considering the Sherwood RM9 OPS Senior and would greatly appreciate anyones opinions on which stick to purchase

Cheers
I highly doubt the R2 would be 426g. That's on par with the top of the line OPS's weights

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:12 PM
ponder

Can't talk about the TPS, and haven't used the RM9 specifically, but I absolutely hated my Sherwood RM8, very durable but did not like using it at all. HOWEVER, I normally use a mid curve, with the R8 I tried a heel curve for the first time, didn't like it and ended up switching back to a mid curve, so the different curve could easily have been a big part of me not liking the stick.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:38 AM
AIREAYE

The R2 is definitely over 500g, perhaps they meant to say 526g? or that they just copied and pasted the info from an R6?

The RM9 should be on closeout everywhere, should be around $60 and for that price, it trumps all other regularly priced OPS out there for sure. Not the lightest, but it's better than its competition.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:59 AM
quam12

thanks guys I thought the weight of the R2 seemed too good to be true and am leaning towards the Sherwood RM9 I've heard its actually pretty durable and the blade is pretty good for feel and stickhandling/passing etc.

This is my first try of an OPS as ive been using wood and two piece aluminiums in the past so the weight issue isnt huge for me as long as it is reasonably lightsnd gives me a taste of what using an OPS is like for the future when ive got a little more cash to spend and get myself something more high end.

Does anyone have anything to say bout the R2 response specifically that has one and uses it, I'd be quite interested in hearing as a teammate has R4's and says they are awesome but best for his wristers and snaps and not so much slapshots.

Cheers

quam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:09 AM
AIREAYE

well the R4's and up are good sticks for the money, but the R1's and 2's should be kept on the shelves

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just to clear it up,

TPS made a one-piece stick called the Response many years back, and the R2 was the tapered shaft version. Usually they were either yellow or red in color. Sometimes said "XN10" on it as that was the material. Very hard to find but some say it's the best stick ever made. Very light weight, the 425g would be accurate.

The last line of TPS sticks before they were sold to Sherwood had a numbering scheme of R2, R4, R6, R8, R10. The R8 and R10 were quality sticks but the R2 was garbage. Usually you can find them for dirt cheap but leave them on the shelves...I wouldn't use them if they were free. These things I'd guess would be 550g+.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:24 PM
doobie604

if it's xn10 then the weight is correct. like Jarick said, it's a very rare stick and one of the better stick ever made. was told, the red one is the better stick, but it's impossible to find these days.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote