HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dustin Boyd - will he ever play for us again?

Old
12-07-2010, 10:19 AM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
The thing that really doesn't help Boyd appears to be Darche's awesomeness. Every game he makes sure he doesn't deserve to be benched the next and no other players except perhaps Pyatt are likely to be healthy scratches.

Still I wonder if there are work ethics issues with Boyd? Perhaps they didn't like his lack of effort in practice or something. He was not good when he played but wasn't outrageously bad either. I know I really liked his speed.
I think you get it and no need to question Boyd. Darche is killing him right now plain and simple. No one else is going to lose their spot to Boyd, maybe one game for Pyatt, but on the PK he's money, and we continue to take more penalties then PP, so having a player who plays mainly on the PK does help. *knock on wood*, we've had no injuries this year, if someone misses a game he's the second player in (A D at F would be first knowing Martin )

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
crakced

I would say the reason Boyd is sitting is his unreliable play in the defensive zone. In 9 games he is -6. For a 4th line center that is atrocious. That and Eller, Darche and to a degree Pyatt have been playing solid.

Will he play for us again, I believe so, but it will take an injury or a losing streak for him to get back in the lineup. He's not a bad insurance policy. If and when he gets back in the lineup he should be moved to wing...unless we have an injury to a center.

Would you rather have him in the pressbox, or someone like Pacioretty? Better him I think.

Last edited by crakced: 12-07-2010 at 10:35 AM.
crakced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Whats the deal with Boyd? Anyone thinks he'll get another chance or is he done with the Habs?

What will it take for Martin to insert him in the lineup again?
Depends on if you think the habs will ever have another injury again. If you do then my guess is he gets another chance. If you don't well then that's just plain crazy

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Depends on if you think the habs will ever have another injury again. If you do then my guess is he gets another chance. If you don't well then that's just plain crazy
We have seven defensemen playing well, Martin would likely insert one as a forward. In fact we'd likely need two injuries at forward but then Pacioretty might get a callup. Whenever Boyd gets the chance to play he'll have to be great, awesome and magnificent if he wants it to happen more than once...

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Why did we even bother trading for the guy? To attempt to kill his career? Can't they at least put him in Hamilton so he can play hockey.

He played 82 NHL games last season and 71 the year before.

Does Tom Pyatt really have to play every game? The guy has next to zero offense. I completely understand keeping Darche in with the way he's playing, but Pyatt on the other hand is just kind of there.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:31 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
Why did we even bother trading for the guy?
To rejuvenate Sergei Kostitsyn's career!

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
neofury*

Quote:
We have seven defensemen playing well, Martin would likely insert one as a forward. In fact we'd likely need two injuries at forward but then Pacioretty might get a callup. Whenever Boyd gets the chance to play he'll have to be great, awesome and magnificent if he wants it to happen more than once...
Not denying that but there's still a good possibility he'll get a shot. Remember it's a long season/post season and we've been very lucky with injuries so far. Sure Markov got injured and that's terrible but I mean generally, we don't have like 3-5 guys injured or something. Some teams like Jersey it's just down right brutal.

Quote:
Why did we even bother trading for the guy? To attempt to kill his career? Can't they at least put him in Hamilton so he can play hockey.

He played 82 NHL games last season and 71 the year before.

Does Tom Pyatt really have to play every game? The guy has next to zero offense. I completely understand keeping Darche in with the way he's playing, but Pyatt on the other hand is just kind of there.
Yeah but what would Boyd bring to the team that Pyatt doesn't already? Offense once every 10 games instead of 25? It isn't like he's shown he can be effective at the NHL level. Where Pyatt would be there on the PK Boyd would just be kind of not there. I doubt it helps the team any to be honest.

I could be wrong though maybe Boyd just needs a chance, you never know.

Old
12-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Patrice Brisebois

IMO Boyd brings a bit more speed and grit than Pyatt does. Not to mention he has better finishing ability. We have a lot of capable penalty killers on the team too. Lapierre, Moen, Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec, Halpern. I doubt taking Pyatt out of the lineup would have any effect on our PK.

But hey, there's a reason I'm not a coach, I guess.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:40 PM
MaxChart

Next game, maybe!

MaxChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:06 AM
neofury*

Quote:
IMO Boyd brings a bit more speed and grit than Pyatt does. Not to mention he has better finishing ability. We have a lot of capable penalty killers on the team too. Lapierre, Moen, Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec, Halpern. I doubt taking Pyatt out of the lineup would have any effect on our PK.

But hey, there's a reason I'm not a coach, I guess.
You could be right no doubt. I just think Boyd has proven thus far he isn't great defensively and Pyatt for the most part is. When playing into a defensive system I just think Pyatt is more of a fit.

I don't doubt Boyd would bring more offense I just have my doubts on how much he would bring but hey if you don't give the guy a chance you can't ever find out right?

Old
12-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Looks like Boyd is playing next game, as reported on Team990.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Habitants

nice to see him get another chance. i still think he can be a good playerfor the habs!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
Looks like Boyd is playing next game, as reported on Team990.
sounds like a good indication that gomez is out, atleast for the next game.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
sounds like a good indication that gomez is out, atleast for the next game.
That's what I figured.... He practiced on a line with Max & Pyatt today.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
nice to see him get another chance. i still think he can be a good playerfor the habs!
Well that didn't take long...

I guess he'll play for us at least one more game after all huh?

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:23 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Bump!

It does seem he's playing tonight!

Now lets make this the Boyd watch thread, or Boyd appreciation thread maybe

Seriously I hope he does well. Having too many players doing well on the team is a nice problem for Martin.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Teufelsdreck

Can anyone name a Hab forward who's played lesy capably than Boyd? This kid needs to improve by a lot before he returns to the lineup.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Can anyone name a Hab forward who's played lesy capably than Boyd? This kid needs to improve by a lot before he returns to the lineup.
People also fail to notice or realize that besides Halpern, who was already a smart saavy veteran forward to begin with, Boyd is the only new forward on the team this year, and let us not forget how long it took for the new forwards last year to adjust Martin's system. Martin said, "It will take a year for this team to gel and accustom themselves to this system."

He's an offensive guy who's come in and been forced into a much more defensive role, something that has been an easy transition for him. And on top of that, the team is so deep at bottom 6 forward that he's gotten benched after 1-2 so-so games in a row, not like 5-7. Here's hoping he takes advantage of his opportunity this weekend, because it might be one of his last..

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
People also fail to notice or realize that besides Halpern, who was already a smart saavy veteran forward to begin with, Boyd is the only new forward on the team this year, and let us not forget how long it took for the new forwards last year to adjust Martin's system. Martin said, "It will take a year for this team to gel and accustom themselves to this system."

He's an offensive guy who's come in and been forced into a much more defensive role, something that has been an easy transition for him. And on top of that, the team is so deep at bottom 6 forward that he's gotten benched after 1-2 so-so games in a row, not like 5-7. Here's hoping he takes advantage of his opportunity this weekend, because it might be one of his last..
You forgot Lars Eller

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
You forgot Lars Eller
I did. Well there goes that argument. Never post before having your first coffee!

Old
12-10-2010, 12:48 PM
llamateizer

yes!
happy for boyd

well see how he'll react tonight.

Pouliot / eller must plays as 2nd line
pouliot is a good 3rd line but will he be good as 2nd line

Eller have a chance to prove himself tonight
he'll get big minutes and i expect him to play 18 min tonight

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
yes!
happy for boyd

well see how he'll react tonight.

Pouliot / eller must plays as 2nd line
pouliot is a good 3rd line but will he be good as 2nd line

Eller have a chance to prove himself tonight
he'll get big minutes and i expect him to play 18 min tonight
i seriously doubt they break up the Eller/Pouliot/Darche line. You've got to give it to Darche; every single player who's played with him this year has looked way better than they had without him. So what's the point of putting two guys who were kind of going nowhere before, on a different line. Pointless shuffling in my opinion. Boyd will play with Halpern and Cammy, which i think is smart because Halpern, like Darche, has made players around him better.

We should all know Martin by now. He always chooses efficacy over flashiness.

Old
12-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Checker61

Boyd came in under alot of pressure from being benched and not playing for a month . Thought he played a very solid game . Almost added some much needed offence and thought the fourth line played well especially when Cammalari took a couple of shifts for Pyatt . Boyd probally bought himself a couple more games with the Habs with a game like that .

Checker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:00 AM
TroyM

I think that was Boyd's best game for the Habs, not that there was too much competition, but yeah, he played good. The line with Lapierre and Pyatt were very effective.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
I think that was Boyd's best game for the Habs, not that there was too much competition, but yeah, he played good. The line with Lapierre and Pyatt were very effective.
I think Detroit is pretty good competition.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote