HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

To the people who don't think Mathieu Darche should be on the PP...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2010, 09:11 AM
  #1
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,824
vCash: 500
To the people who don't think Mathieu Darche should be on the PP...

**approximate numbers**

Mathieu Darche's PP Production Rate (PTS PER MIN); 4:03 (5 PTS in 20:16 TOI).

The next closest?

Yannick Weber; 7:34
Mike Cammalleri; 9:20
Roman Hamrlik; 11:20

... This, of course, doesn't even show how often he stands in front of the net and creates chances (and goals) for others just by being there.

Conclusion; Mathieu Darche is a huge asset to this team right now and deserves every second of PP time he's getting.

By the way, his overall stat-line;
20 GP, 4 G, 5 A, 9PTS, +8, 10:10 TOI.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:15 AM
  #2
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 500
I've got to admit, I questionned earlier this year why Mathieu Darche was on the team, I didn't find he brought anything other than the willingless to be a team player when the coach scratched him.

But i've done a complete 180 on the guy...other than Gionta, no one goes to the net like Mathieu Darche does on this team. I've really come to appreciate him the last few weeks and don't mind admitting I was wrong (I rarely am )

He's earned his spot and found his niche, good for him

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:16 AM
  #3
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,226
vCash: 500
He is a really good surprise this season. And he is a great teammate.

At league minimum or close to it ....

Everything is good with him

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:19 AM
  #4
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
I'll happily admit I thought Martin was insane, but he showed here why he's an NHL coach and I'm some guy on a forum.

Darche has been great on the PP. We needed a net presence and it's sad that he's the only guy on the team willing to do it, but he is, so good for him.

Makes me seriously question why Pouliot won't do it. Not saying he should have the spot, I'm saying it's clear he won't get his nose dirty there to the extent that we had to use Darche in a spot he seems fit to fill.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:21 AM
  #5
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,427
vCash: 500
I hope for him he gets an NHL contract (1 way) next year, with the Habs or elsewhere... He deserves it.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:21 AM
  #6
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,385
vCash: 500
Reminds me a little bit of Metrpolit in that last year early on Metro had some powerplay success. And at times Metro would show some great hands, drive the net and create space. Darche seems to have those same qualities ATM. Good for him.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:35 AM
  #7
ScopeHockey
Registered User
 
ScopeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Willingness to take abuse in front of the net and composure to look for the rebounds knowing that you may get a Sherwood in the face.

Him and Gionta are the only Habs that have these qualities.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:39 AM
  #8
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,122
vCash: 500
Darche has bee like a training video in how to play hockey with limited skills. He works his butt off and is so often in the right place at the right time. The way he goes into the corners and goes to the net are textbook. I think it's no coincidence Pouiot is having such a good time playing with him, the guy's not elite talent but he is really really easy to play with the way he's playing this year.

Maybe Gomez needs a little Darche in his life, to set an example? Still, I'd be reluctant to break up Pouliot-Eller-Darche right now. I'm loving the way that line is playing, and they are improving.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:41 AM
  #9
Patccmoi
Registered User
 
Patccmoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I'll happily admit I thought Martin was insane, but he showed here why he's an NHL coach and I'm some guy on a forum.

Darche has been great on the PP. We needed a net presence and it's sad that he's the only guy on the team willing to do it, but he is, so good for him.

Makes me seriously question why Pouliot won't do it. Not saying he should have the spot, I'm saying it's clear he won't get his nose dirty there to the extent that we had to use Darche in a spot he seems fit to fill.
Problem with Pouliot, and many other like Latendresse was too, is that they are players with good shot. They believe that it's better for them to get in position to get a rebound and be able to shoot, or get a pass. So they instinctively position themselves in a way to be able to quickly release and maybe open themselves for passes. They just want to shoot. AK was like that too but he's actually getting better and better at just staying in front of the goalie.

I really don't think that it's a case that Pouliot doesn't want to do it, or is afraid to get hit and willingly takes himself out of position. It's just how he played his whole life and what he does by default, and it's hard to change these kind of habits. He would be better fit in a position where he is shooting (cause he DOES have one hell of a shot, right up there with AK and Cammy), but those positions are taken right now, and our PP as a whole works better with someone in front of the net than 3 players turning around.

As for Darche, he doesn't care. He doesn't have a good shot, doesn't think he does, and does not see himself as an offensive superstar. He simply understand that the best thing he can do is sit there and block the goaler's vision. He doesn't have the instincts of doing something else that slowly takes him out of position. And so he does a better job at it currently than anyone else on the team.

Maybe someone like Eller would be able to do it too, who knows. But Darche does the job well right now, and the Cammy-Gomez-Darche line on the PP is surprisingly efficient. Give them a good point shot, and it just works, and Darche is an important part of the equation.

Patccmoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:42 AM
  #10
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Darche and Pouliot are always talking, on the bench and on the ice.
Benny seems to be playing his best hockey, maybe he just needed a winger who he can speak French with?

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:45 AM
  #11
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Problem with Pouliot, and many other like Latendresse was too, is that they are players with good shot. They believe that it's better for them to get in position to get a rebound and be able to shoot, or get a pass. So they instinctively position themselves in a way to be able to quickly release and maybe open themselves for passes. They just want to shoot. AK was like that too but he's actually getting better and better at just staying in front of the goalie.

I really don't think that it's a case that Pouliot doesn't want to do it, or is afraid to get hit and willingly takes himself out of position. It's just how he played his whole life and what he does by default, and it's hard to change these kind of habits. He would be better fit in a position where he is shooting (cause he DOES have one hell of a shot, right up there with AK and Cammy), but those positions are taken right now, and our PP as a whole works better with someone in front of the net than 3 players turning around.

As for Darche, he doesn't care. He doesn't have a good shot, doesn't think he does, and does not see himself as an offensive superstar. He simply understand that the best thing he can do is sit there and block the goaler's vision. He doesn't have the instincts of doing something else that slowly takes him out of position. And so he does a better job at it currently than anyone else on the team.

Maybe someone like Eller would be able to do it too, who knows. But Darche does the job well right now, and the Cammy-Gomez-Darche line on the PP is surprisingly efficient. Give them a good point shot, and it just works, and Darche is an important part of the equation.
I get that he's a shooter, but if your coach says go to the net, you go stand in front of the net. It's not rocket science.

Clearly, if he's being asked, he's not doing it.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:47 AM
  #12
Hermamoud
Registered User
 
Hermamoud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
Darche and Pouliot are always talking, on the bench and on the ice.
Benny seems to be playing his best hockey, maybe he just needed a winger who he can speak French with?
I doubt it, Pouliot is perfectly bilingual. I think it has more to do with the fact that he has less responsibilities playing on a 3rd / 4th line and that he doesn't have to face the opposition's best shut down lines every night. He also gives Eller a legitimate offensive winger who can finish his plays, so we have three balanced lines who have offensive threats and a great shutdown line with Halpern, Pyatt and Lapierre.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:52 AM
  #13
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,213
vCash: 500
really... say whatever you want about Darche... but the stats, come on...

20 min of PP ?? that's less than a min per game...

Weber second ? how many games did he play so far this season ?


be serious for a sec here please...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:54 AM
  #14
MuzzleLoader
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I get that he's a shooter, but if your coach says go to the net, you go stand in front of the net. It's not rocket science.

Clearly, if he's being asked, he's not doing it.
And you have some kind of rocket science that tells you Martin is asking him to do it?

For all I know, I really doubt he's being ask to do it. Right now, he's playing with Darche, who is already going to the net and standing there. What's the point of having Pouliot right there also?

MuzzleLoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:11 AM
  #15
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzleLoader View Post
And you have some kind of rocket science that tells you Martin is asking him to do it?

For all I know, I really doubt he's being ask to do it. Right now, he's playing with Darche, who is already going to the net and standing there. What's the point of having Pouliot right there also?
Clearly Darche wasn't the first choice to do it on the PP.

And he isn't playing with Darche on the PP.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:20 AM
  #16
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
really... say whatever you want about Darche... but the stats, come on...

20 min of PP ?? that's less than a min per game...

Weber second ? how many games did he play so far this season ?


be serious for a sec here please...
Who cares if it's less than a minute per game? It's the fact that he's PRODUCING POINTS!

If Darche got 0 PP points in his next 30 minuets of PP ice-time, he'd still be ahead of any regular including Cammalleri, Plekanec, and Hamrlik. But I guess he doesn't contribute. My bad.

Player A plays 350 minutes on the PP and scores 31 points while Player B plays 120 minutes on the PP and scores 29 points. Who would you rather have on your PP?

Fact of the matter is that Mathieu Darche has FIVE (5) PP POINTS, in limited ice-time.

Only Cammalleri 9 (91+ minutes), Plekanec 6 (78+ minutes) and Hamrlik 6 (68+ minutes) have more points than Darche on the PP.

So yeah, I'm being serious. Or better yet, when can I be serious about Darche's PP contributions? Please enlighten me.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:23 AM
  #17
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Who cares if it's less than a minute per game? It's the fact that he's PRODUCING POINTS!

If Darche got 0 PP points in his next 30 minuets of PP ice-time, he'd still be ahead of any regular including Cammalleri, Plekanec, and Hamrlik. But I guess he doesn't contribute. My bad.

Player A plays 350 minutes on the PP and scores 31 points while Player B plays 120 minutes on the PP and scores 29 points. Who would you rather have on your PP?

Fact of the matter is that Mathieu Darche has FIVE (5) PP POINTS, in limited ice-time.

Only Cammalleri 9 (91+ minutes), Plekanec 6 (78+ minutes) and Hamrlik 6 (68+ minutes) have more points than Darche on the PP.

So yeah, I'm being serious. Or better yet, when can I be serious about Darche's PP contributions?
He's been good, don't get me wrong, but that's partly just luck too. He's not all to blame for the PP improving lately, but he does happen to be the only player who wasn't on the PP when it was dreadful.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:27 AM
  #18
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
He's been good, don't get me wrong, but that's partly just luck too. He's not all to blame for the PP improving lately, but he does happen to be the only player who wasn't on the PP when it was dreadful.
Well the fact that he's been on on 5 goals and contributed to, from memory, at least 2 more goals due to screens is a pretty incredible feat for someone with so little PP time. Both of Gomez's goals in the past few games have been partly due to Darche screening the goalie.

Screen the goalie. Good things happen.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:28 AM
  #19
Patccmoi
Registered User
 
Patccmoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
He's been good, don't get me wrong, but that's partly just luck too. He's not all to blame for the PP improving lately, but he does happen to be the only player who wasn't on the PP when it was dreadful.
It's good to note though that it was, in part, dreadful because nobody would stand in front of the net.

Patccmoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:28 AM
  #20
ScopeHockey
Registered User
 
ScopeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
He's been good, don't get me wrong, but that's partly just luck too. He's not all to blame for the PP improving lately, but he does happen to be the only player who wasn't on the PP when it was dreadful.

It really helps a PP to have a guy like Smyth or Holmstrom who has the guts to look for rebounds and take abuse while screening the goalie. While Darche is clearly not in that class, he's the closest thing we have.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:31 AM
  #21
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
**approximate numbers**

Mathieu Darche's PP Production Rate (PTS PER MIN); 4:03 (5 PTS in 20:16 TOI).

The next closest?

Yannick Weber; 7:34
Mike Cammalleri; 9:20
Roman Hamrlik; 11:20

... This, of course, doesn't even show how often he stands in front of the net and creates chances (and goals) for others just by being there.

Conclusion; Mathieu Darche is a huge asset to this team right now and deserves every second of PP time he's getting.

By the way, his overall stat-line;
20 GP, 4 G, 5 A, 9PTS, +8, 10:10 TOI.
i agree with you
but its more minutes per point

he stays in front of the net and Gomez scores more goals

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:33 AM
  #22
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
The logical response would be to say the sample size is a little too small to really stand as solid proof for any trend....

Who cares though? I really like Darche. He's never going to put up big numbers, but he's a great team player. He gives it his all and understands his role. Add in his great back-story and you have a very likable bottom 6 forward.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:41 AM
  #23
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
It really helps a PP to have a guy like Smyth or Holmstrom who has the guts to look for rebounds and take abuse while screening the goalie. While Darche is clearly not in that class, he's the closest thing we have.
So far this year, Darche has been far more productive on the PP than either Holmstrom or Smyth. Not only does he have more points on the PP than either player, he's played about 1/4 of the time that each of them has.

Overall (not just PP); Smyth scores a point every 33:20 TOI. Holmstrom scores a point every 32:12 TOI. Darche scores a point every 22:40 TOI.

Darche really is having a great season so far. The thing is, I expected him to play great without posting the stats. The stats are quite an amazing bonus.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:49 AM
  #24
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,991
vCash: 500
I don't mind Darche on the pp at all, what I would like to see is what can Eller do on the pp, wouldn't hurt giving him some pp time but I'm not worried as I know the kid is only getting better and his time will come with this team if not this season then next

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:53 AM
  #25
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
So far this year, Darche has been far more productive on the PP than either Holmstrom or Smyth. Not only does he have more points on the PP than either player, he's played about 1/4 of the time that each of them has.

Overall (not just PP); Smyth scores a point every 33:20 TOI. Holmstrom scores a point every 32:12 TOI. Darche scores a point every 22:40 TOI.

Darche really is having a great season so far. The thing is, I expected him to play great without posting the stats. The stats are quite an amazing bonus.
No knock on him at all, but as others have said, the sample is too small to mean more than "good start."

Happy with him to date, but it's a bit early to compare his net presence to Holmstrom and Smyth

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.