HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I get a new stick?

Old
12-06-2010, 07:36 PM
FiveHole23

vCash: 500
Should I get a new stick?

Currently play with a Senior X:40 77 Flex PM9 Pattern

I am 5'9 and weight 130 soaking wet(i am a small guy)

I love the X:40, however after cutting it a couple of inches I feel I just can't flex it enough to get any sort of power. My whole game is pretty much handling and wrist shots.

I am thinking of getting the limited edition or whatever X:40 Int 67 flex from hockey monkey because I can have it at my door for $85 bucks which is a steal if you ask me.

I play two nights a week and wondering if I would see any real improvement from buying virtually the same stick with a lower flex. Also If i do get a new stick for wrist shots whats the best Bauer Curve? I am leaning towards the P88.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I'm pretty much the same build as you except maybe 30 pounds heavier. If it is true that your game relies on wristers and stick handling, are games are eerily similar.

I like to use a wooden stick, I find it gives me a harder shot, but a slower release. Stick handling is about the same as with a composite stick, depending on the wooden stick. It's all about finding the right stick. For example, I like to use a stick with a mid-heel curve as opposed to one with a large toe curve, it gives me a more accurate wrist shot.

This is the stick I used last year:

However, like I said it's about finding the stick that best fits you. I suggest going down to Sportchek or whatever and using their collection to see what fits. Test out the flex, weight and all other necessities.

Also ask if it is O.K. to try out teammates sticks, that's how I found out about that beaut ^^

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
ChiTownHawks

I am pretty sure Bauer's INT sticks are shorter so make sure that you really want a 67 flex b/c you wont be able to cut it down. I am 5'9 too and the Bauer INT sticks are the perfect height for me but a 67 flex is a little too whipy for me. Unlike Easton who has a 65 flex that is the same length so you can cut a couple inches off it and make it like a 73-75 flex you can't do that with Bauer's INT.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 08:39 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I'm pretty much the same build as you except maybe 30 pounds heavier.
Is it just me or does that statement there make no sense?

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
FiveHole23

Question for you guys are the shaft of INT sticks thickness the same as the senior or are they more slim like the juniors?

Old
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
ponder

Intermediate sticks definitely have slimmer shafts than senior sticks, and I think thicker than junior sticks. You're on the upper end of who should be using an intermediate, but if you have a lot of trouble flexing a cut down 77 flex senior then a 67 flex int might be just right for you, although it will be QUITE a bit flexier. Any chance you can try an int before you buy?

As for the curve, if you like the PM9 but want something a bit more curved, then the P88 is a great choice, it's my personal favourite curve actually. I feel like it's just the right amount of curve (PM9 is a bit flat IMO), it's a mid curve (which I personally love), and it has a real closed face (I don't like open faces at all), for me it works great, but curves really are 100% personal preference.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
FiveHole23

I will check the lost and found next time I play. Everyone on the team plays with senior though.

Old
12-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
Is it just me or does that statement there make no sense?
hence "pretty much" and "except"

Old
12-06-2010, 09:12 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHole23 View Post
I will check the lost and found next time I play. Everyone on the team plays with senior though.
Even just going to a store and playing around with the intermediates, giving them the test flex (not too hard!). I love whippy sticks, but just from flexing intermediates in stores I can tell they'd be way too whippy for me, a 77 flex senior is just right personally. But I'm 6' 180 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I'm pretty much the same build as you except maybe 30 pounds heavier. If it is true that your game relies on wristers and stick handling, are games are eerily similar.

I like to use a wooden stick, I find it gives me a harder shot, but a slower release. Stick handling is about the same as with a composite stick, depending on the wooden stick. It's all about finding the right stick. For example, I like to use a stick with a mid-heel curve as opposed to one with a large toe curve, it gives me a more accurate wrist shot.

This is the stick I used last year:

However, like I said it's about finding the stick that best fits you. I suggest going down to Sportchek or whatever and using their collection to see what fits. Test out the flex, weight and all other necessities.

Also ask if it is O.K. to try out teammates sticks, that's how I found out about that beaut ^^
Great wood stick, but they break so damn easily, if I ever eat too much ice on a slapper (happens on semi-botched one timers for me) the 5030s just explode on me in a way that no other stick I've owned ever has.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
canuck44

I'm 5'8, 145 lbs.

I used senior sticks for the last while with the last one being a vapor XXXX 77 flex cut down to the 92 flex mark. I found this too stiff for me so I switched to an INT synergy ST. Lopped off the top 2", so it's 65 flex. I really like how this flexes. I kind of wish I could have another 10-15 flex on top to keep it whippy enough but prolong life (I snapped one in a couple of months, judging from where it snapped it seems like I might be putting too much stress on the stick for longevity).

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Great wood stick, but they break so damn easily, if I ever eat too much ice on a slapper (happens on semi-botched one timers for me) the 5030s just explode on me in a way that no other stick I've owned ever has.
Well, the OP says he mainly uses the wrist shot, as do I, so it's been good for me.

But yeah, it's not a stick I would use for street hockey, it chips pretty easily.

Old
12-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm 5'8 175 and use intermediates. Shoot better with them than a senior. Most teammates my height or shorter use intermediates as well.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote