HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin for Adams?

Old
12-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Rushin Joo

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Martin for Adams?

Why is there no talk of him being considered for Adams in the early stages on the season? Say what you want about how he manages the lines or the Subban situation, we're 18-8-2 without arguably our best player, top two for goals against, best PK in the league. I know its early and there are other coaches doing good things right now, but shouldn't he be in the running right now?

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:24 AM
mtl_felix

I think Martin took a lot of heat since he's gotten here, but he is what the habs needed: that is a coach with a lot of winning experience.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:08 AM
sandman08

after going to the conference finals and all that the habs were essentially expected to do well (the caveat being price's play, if he plays well they do well if he's crap theyre crap essentially) but the importance of martin wouldnt be seen as major as the play off his goalie... on the other hand, the dallas stars arent a team much was expected from at all not immediately at least (the same can be said about atlanta and i dont think many expected phoenix to continue last years run even tho they did well) all of which really hurt martin's chances IMO. The fact the team is winning based on team defence, the PK group and coaching will not get as much ink as "holy crap carey price is actually good!" and that'll really hurt martin in the long run

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 06:48 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
after going to the conference finals and all that the habs were essentially expected to do well (the caveat being price's play, if he plays well they do well if he's crap theyre crap essentially) but the importance of martin wouldnt be seen as major as the play off his goalie... on the other hand, the dallas stars arent a team much was expected from at all not immediately at least (the same can be said about atlanta and i dont think many expected phoenix to continue last years run even tho they did well) all of which really hurt martin's chances IMO. The fact the team is winning based on team defence, the PK group and coaching will not get as much ink as "holy crap carey price is actually good!" and that'll really hurt martin in the long run
You should take a look in the prediction thread.

A lot of people put MTL between 8-12th place.
You lost Halak...bla bla bla

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:04 AM
CGG

I think Muller needs to get nominated for the Assistant Adams Trophy.

CGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:32 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
You should take a look in the prediction thread.

A lot of people put MTL between 8-12th place.
You lost Halak...bla bla bla
+1.

In looking at the predictions thread, I'd be surprised if over one third of the other teams' fans expected us in the playoffs this year.

Even the 'experts' predicted us out of the playoffs, despite our conference run.

The fact the we're 3rd in the league right now (win%), is way beyond anyone's expectations. Martin deserves a lot more credit than he's getting.

I can't believe all the complaining people are doing.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:42 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

No way should JM be a candidate. He benched Subban.

But seriously I understand the coach better now. I hated his system last year because this team was just peppered in the D zone. It's almost like it's been a one year lesson though. And I'm sure all of the injuries last year hampered the team's ability to learn exactly what Martin wanted. The Pittsburgh series showed a glimmer of hope with some stellar five on five play something the team lacked all of last year.

This year the players understand better and I understand better. LOL I think he's handled younger talent just fine. I have a hunch PK's learned a lot in the last few days from the coach and from his teammates. If he has and it shows on the ice and the PP improves then look out. A lot of the success has to be attributed to Martin and he's accomplished a lot of it without the team's best player in Andrei Markov.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

This is way too early but right now there could be a few candidates especially Ramsay in Atlanta, if they keep this up and make the playoffs wouldn't be surprised if he takes the award at the end of the season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:57 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
He deserves allot of credit
He has had **** thrown at him from every angle possible.

If the season keeps going the way it was, he should get some serious concideration that is for sure

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:09 AM
zzoo

Seriously, I think that Habs success is mainly based on Price and Jacques Martin.

If you look at the players on the team, beside Price, there's no star player although Plekanec is very good. Cammalleri, Gionta, Kostitsyn have an ordinary season so far, while Gomez struggles, Markov is absent.

We win because of the good system, not based on player's talents.

Martin deserves some credits here.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:12 AM
MathMan

Martin's not being considered because the ECF finish fooled everyone into thinking the Habs were already playing well last year and the Adams is code for "surprise team of the year" most years.

Which, IMHO, is unfortunate, because in reality the Habs's game has had a massive turnaround. They are much more structured, much more fundamentally sound, they play very well in the neutral zone (whereas they would just leave opponents pass through last year) and generally play a lot like I thought they would last year. They've retained their special teams excellence and they're a legitimately good 5-on-5 club now. Everybody keeps talking about Price but, for me, the guys in front of him going from lottery-quality to well above average is a much bigger story and a bigger reason for their impressive record.

I stand by my comments of Martin's performance last year, but apparently it was all growing pains and he did what I didn't believe he could: he fixed things. Crow's never tasted so good.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:13 AM
onice

To quote Jack Todd, "I was right all along."

Jacques Martin is one of the top 3-5 coaches in the league. Many posters claim he was/is solely a defensive coach. He isn't. If Gomez was shooting on all cylinders or we had a better option we would also have one of the best offensive teams. Martin is an elite coach!!!

But we're winning with a team that many experts predicted would fall out of the playoffs this year. Martin is a big big reason they're near the top of the league.

And i know many detractors are gonna claim he's been lucky to have two of the best young goalies play for him. Maybe and maybe that's karma for having excellent teams in Ottawa and terrible goaltending.

Or maybe he helped make them (Price & Halak) as good as they are.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
OneSharpMarble

It's no suprise that Montreals goaltending is doing everything in the world to lift this team. I don't know why but this teams goalies always elevate their play. I don't feel Martin has outcoached anyone to a point of being awarded, he seems pretty damn average.

If Price ever comes back to Earth look out.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:23 AM
sandman08

which was more due to halak vs price debate then anything to do with coaching, price plays well = habs win cuz of price, price plays poorly = habs suck cuz price sucks.. the coach never seemed to really fit into the debate at all (in anything i saw online i mean from the experts not the hfers)

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

He is, without doubt, a candidate.

JM is changing perception around the league.

experience trumps inexperience.

Can you imagine this team with Markov healthy and Gomez performing better?

Last edited by Born in 1909: 12-08-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I don't feel Martin has outcoached anyone to a point of being awarded, he seems pretty damn average.

If Price ever comes back to Earth look out.
This year it's because of Price & last year it was because of Halak. Did you ever think that maybe martin's system helps goalies perform properly?

In Florida Vokum & Anderson looked too. How are they doing now without Martin's system?

Old
12-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

If you seriously think that JM is not the main reason why this team is nearly the best in the league, you need to pull your head out of your ass.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
This year it's because of Price & last year it was because of Halak. Did you ever think that maybe martin's system helps goalies perform properly?

In Florida Vokum & Anderson looked too. How are they doing now without Martin's system?
Both Halak and Price last year and this year have had to make many key saves for us to win and many games which the shot total against was over 40, great system that is. Comon he is a great coach don't get me wrong but sometimes the systems doesn't work really well on certain nights and the goalies steals the win for you

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
If you seriously think that JM is not the main reason why this team is nearly the best in the league, you need to pull your head out of your ass.
I have to agree with this. In addition to that though, I think Kirk Muller does an extremely good job as well.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
I have to agree with this. In addition to that though, I think Kirk Muller does an extremely good job as well.
Nous jouons bien!

I really like our coaching staff. Turns out all this Boucher, Halak and other such talk was all air. The habs management has been taking great decisions these last couple of years.

Thank god no one on this board is GM

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 883
HAHAHA!

I love how at the beginning of the season some people here (not to say quite a lot) wanted him fired.... And now he should get Adams?

Gotta love bipolar fans

Seriously, JM has always been a very good coach for us since he joined. Last year playoff run and this year beginning shows it.

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Don't look now, but the Habs are the 3rd best 5-on-5 team in the league (at least according to one important stat):

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...ewName=summary

Hard to deny Martin's impact when you look at that stat and where the Habs generally ranked in the last decade.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
He's definitely leading a very good club. I think his name will be in the mix. He's for sure better than Boudreau and potentially Balsyma. Right now, he could be the best coach in the east.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:00 AM
shamrun

at this pace he will be nominated for sure. He himself said it would a year to whip this team in the condition he needed. Now i think the success in the playoffs made the players believe in martin way of playing in the defensive zone.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Both Halak and Price last year and this year have had to make many key saves for us to win and many games which the shot total against was over 40, great system that is. Comon he is a great coach don't get me wrong but sometimes the systems doesn't work really well on certain nights and the goalies steals the win for you
I wouldn't really disagree with much of what you said except for the red part.

I would change that phrase to "...the players don't implement the system really well on certain nights & the goalies steal the win...."