HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Priority Remains a Top 6 Forward: Kaberle was a Suggestion

Old
12-07-2010, 08:23 AM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Ok guys, there is a bottom line here. Burke has tried to move Kab with out being succesful...why? asking price witch was a roster player-prospect-1st if I remember and no GM wanted to pay the note and no one will want to.

Montreal could use a Kaberle and I think it should be a prospect like Kristo and a conditional picks.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Markovskaya

I feel like we need a solid winger more then an extra puck moving D right now...but this team is based on a solid defence and a hot goalie so I guess Karberle would not be a bad addition to the team.

a 1st for Kaberle seems legit.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

I believe Gauthier will make his move before the deadline, like last year because he likes the fact that a player will have more time to "gel" with his team and the system.
But i think Gauthier will be very stingy when it comes to his prospects & picks. As much as Kaberle would be a nice addition, we have seen the impact of acquiring a name at the deadline & having it backfire (ie Kovalchuck, Hossa, etc). Granted Kaberle isnt as good as those guys but Burke will try to get the most out of him, and I dont think he warrants a 1st rounder and a prospect, its just not what we need.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Markovskaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
I believe Gauthier will make his move before the deadline, like last year because he likes the fact that a player will have more time to "gel" with his team and the system.
But i think Gauthier will be very stingy when it comes to his prospects & picks. As much as Kaberle would be a nice addition, we have seen the impact of acquiring a name at the deadline & having it backfire (ie Kovalchuck, Hossa, etc). Granted Kaberle isnt as good as those guys but Burke will try to get the most out of him, and I dont think he warrants a 1st rounder and a prospect, its just not what we need.
Things may change of cours but if the current situation keeps up until the end of the season, our 1st should not be worth all that much. Gauthier as better chance to get Kaberle for a 1st right now because the situation can change and montreal can still possibly end up 8-9th, making the 1st round pick possibly worth enough for Kaberle. If gauthier waits too long AND the habs are still 2nd or 3rd then Burke will ask for a 1st +++ so Gauthier better trade now and improve the team, making sure giving up that 1st was worth it by the end of the playoffs

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Canucks won't be sellers at the trade deadline. They're keeping Salo.
They'll have to move either Salo or Bieksa within a month, they are 4 mil over the cap and Salo is back skating, 3-4 weeks from returning.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:58 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Kaberle is being severely underrated here, if you ask me. He's really just a notch below Markov and being in Toronto has prevented him from ever really showing what he can do.

I'd trade a first round pick, Weber/Maxwell/Kristo, and a conditional 2nd round draft pick if he re-signs with us.

Our D would be lethal with him there.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Prendan Brust

Kaberle would put us at another level IMO. If the price is reasonable, I'd be very excited to have him on our team. My guess is that the price won't be reasonable though.

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:09 AM
BobbyFischer*

Kabs has been harrrrible this year, FYI.

I would definitely not trade a 1st + Kristo or a 1st + anything for him..

Let Burke squirm and get a 2nd + 3rd line grinder for him at the deadline

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Crystal Met

maxwell and a 1st is the most i'd offer for kaberle. Then get langenbrunner at the deadline and the cup is ours.

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:26 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Kaberle is being severely underrated here, if you ask me. He's really just a notch below Markov and being in Toronto has prevented him from ever really showing what he can do.

I'd trade a first round pick, Weber/Maxwell/Kristo, and a conditional 2nd round draft pick if he re-signs with us.

Our D would be lethal with him there.
I think Burke is fishing for a first round pick.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:29 AM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
If what I've been hearing is true. I DO NOT trade my first at all. Everyone has been saying the up coming draft is a very deep one.
Plus F Burke and his contradicting attitude. I hate the man more then Bettman. Plus kaberle is weak defensively. I want my dmen to play 2 way hockey. Leave the goal scoring to theguys that get paid for it.

Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
If what I've been hearing is true. I DO NOT trade my first at all. Everyone has been saying the up coming draft is a very deep one.
Plus F Burke and his contradicting attitude. I hate the man more then Bettman. Plus kaberle is weak defensively. I want my dmen to play 2 way hockey. Leave the goal scoring to theguys that get paid for it.
A deep draft? Maybe it changed, but a few months ago, the scouts were all saying it was going to be a bad year overall. After the top 10 or so, there's supposed to be a huge drop. No?

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Newhabfan

Poor Leafs fans and Toronto media guys...

They don't have a winning team...

They don't have picks (though they end at the bottom)...

They don't have any future...

They don't have cap space.....

All that's left is "We have this big trade asset(s) that will bring us a savior...." Talk about overhyping. BTW - didn't Burke already try to get "offers" for Kaberle in the summer ?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:58 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
We have one of the best defense team in the league and 7 guys who can play well in defense. On the other hand, we're not scoring as many goals as we should. At some point, scoring 2 or 3 goals a game will catch us. I would definetely try to get a top3 forward with the spare money we have (Iginla, Richards, even Kovalchuk?)...

OpenIceHit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Jigger77

I am pretty sure they are showcasing Weber at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Weber + a 1st for Kaberle at all. It replaces the hole on the backend left by Kaberle's departure with a guy capable of being a contributor next year, gives them a much needed draft pick and it puts the Habs over the top on the backend.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I am pretty sure they are showcasing Weber at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Weber + a 1st for Kaberle at all. It replaces the hole on the backend left by Kaberle's departure with a guy capable of being a contributor next year, gives them a much needed draft pick and it puts the Habs over the top on the backend.
I hear this "showcasing" theory all the time in trade threads, but does anyone in the history of the game remember a team calling some guy up from the minors for a few games, then trading him?

I don't think teams "showcase" players like that. They play the best line-up available to them.

The ONLY exception I can think of is the occasional time where they let a back-up goalie play a bit in advance of a deal.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:09 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I wouldn't trade a 1st for Kaberle

I wouldn't trade Kristo for Kaberle

I wouldn't trade Patches, or weber for Kaberle

He is a rental, and the asking price for him as astronomical, let him stay in Toronto and nab him in the off season for free.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post

He is a rental, and the asking price for him as astronomical, let him stay in Toronto and nab him in the off season for free.
Not really. Rivet got us Gorges and a 1st. Kaberle is much better than Rivet, so a 1st and a prospect like Maxwell/Weber/White/Kristo/.. is a fair price to pay. Kaberle and a decent top 6 forward (like Langenbruner) at the dealine would make us a contender for the Cup.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
sprevost

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
Well, Webber isn't out of question IMO. Even if Kaberle is a rental, you have to give them something useful for them. Webber make a lot of sense for them since he actually look NHL ready...gotta give something else; something like this isn't impossible:

To Mtl
Kaberle

To Tor
Webber or Kristo + 1rst...I like the idea of a conditional pick if he re-sign

Habs doesn't need a Kaberle right now as we are winning, but come playoffs time, this type of offensive D-man will become more than useful.
Actually has anybody thought of the following:

To MTL:
Kaberle

To TOR:
1st + Picard (at least we are giving them a D in return, and Picard has played well this year and is cheap for Burke)

I would even toss in Kristo,Maxwell or Desharnais if we had to.

anyways...

sprevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I hear this "showcasing" theory all the time in trade threads, but does anyone in the history of the game remember a team calling some guy up from the minors for a few games, then trading him?

I don't think teams "showcase" players like that. They play the best line-up available to them.

The ONLY exception I can think of is the occasional time where they let a back-up goalie play a bit in advance of a deal.
Yeah I know what you mean but in this case T.O would be thinking long-term with Weber and he has very little experience in the NHL so maybe they wanted to see him play a few games. But yeah you're probably right.

Just seems like since we have another young right-handed offensive defenseman and we just lost a top 10 defenseman in the league it would make sense for both teams.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Weber + whatever pick or conditional pick headed to T.O for Kaberle. This is the type of thing that can help both teams.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:34 AM
ClasslessGuy

Trade Desharnais and it will be like if Maurice Ricard was suspended again....

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Not really. Rivet got us Gorges and a 1st. Kaberle is much better than Rivet, so a 1st and a prospect like Maxwell/Weber/White/Kristo/.. is a fair price to pay. Kaberle and a decent top 6 forward (like Langenbruner) at the dealine would make us a contender for the Cup.
Not sure if what we got for Rivet set any kind of precedent and became the new norm for all subsequent trades for top-4 Dmen... I for one was shocked (and still am) about how much we got in return

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:52 AM
KingGallagherXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
I think Kaberle is a little overrated here. He is really **** defensively.
He doesn't suck defensively.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post

A first for Kaberle is an astronomical price, but Craig Rivet returning a 1st isn't ? This is proof you have no idea what you're talking about and you're one of the many, many hab fans who think our garbage can land something good every time.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Habs8517

No way i want that loser anyway near our team. That loser refused to leave the ****ing laffs and get a chance to go to a contender on multiple occasion, that proves that he has no will to win and will be forever a loser.

Not only that, he sucks at playing D a la Spacek, is a turnover machines, his softeness is Breezer-like, he doesnt hit, cant play on the PK. In short, he is a one-dimensional D only good on the PP.

After so many years, the Habs finally got rid of the stupid country club that plagued this team for years and you guys want a bum who is playing for the country club of the laffs ... Besides, our D is fine, we need more help up front.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote