HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #27: at Chicago/Turco, 12/08 (7:30 PM, FSSW, 1310 AM)

Old
12-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

vCash: 500
Also am I the only one who gets downright angry at Robidas and his parade to the penalty box? Last night the call against Toews was atrocious but Robidas consistently takes the worst penalties on this team. Argh, he drives me up the wall and I wish Dallas would be willing to move him this trade deadline/summer.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 03:31 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Also am I the only one who gets downright angry at Robidas and his parade to the penalty box? Last night the call against Toews was atrocious but Robidas consistently takes the worst penalties on this team. Argh, he drives me up the wall and I wish Dallas would be willing to move him this trade deadline/summer.
Nope you're not the only one. He gets this really annoying look about him when he does it too. If he has much trade value id trade him because I think hes very replaceable. Most of this points come as a result of always being on the ice with great forwards moreso than him creating anything.

I think he tends to take the worst penalties because he doesn't defend well positionally. Hes all about heart and hustle. If he gets a bit tired or someone beats him, hes not well equipped to recover and his reaction is to grab sticks or hook guys. He actually gets away with it a ton as well.

Last edited by txomisc: 12-09-2010 at 03:39 PM.
txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Better question is why the **** can't Robidas get his shots on net? Now his 3 foot wide shots are rubbing off on Woywitka.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Who on this team besides maybe Segal consistently hits the net? These guys abuse more glass than any Stars team in recent memory. Robidas is but one offender in that regard. I've got plenty of reasons to hate on Robidas his terrible point shot is a small part of the list.

Old
12-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
To be fair to Morrow, he is most likely dealing with that nagging groin injury that has caused him to miss a couple of practices, and he has been a big factor on several recent goals by being in front of the net screening even though he hasn't picked up points on them. I do think Benn probably needs to move linemates, but he is also a net-crashing guy and is slightly redundant on a line with Morrow.

FWIW, I asked a ref reviewer to take a look at last night's game. I disagree with his level on the Robidas elbow and think he missed a 50-level Skille flop on the Neal trip, but it's a pretty fair summary. The scale is 0-100 on the scale of seriousness. Games vary in call level, and this is at a 60 or a 70 depending on your interpretation of if they purposefully passed on the missed 60s or meant to call everything 60 or above.

Calls
Chicago: 100 TMM (non-ref called, it looked like to me)
Dallas: 60 hook (delayed, waived off on scored goal), 70 elbow, 90 slash, 75 trip, ? trip, 20 hold stick, 60 hook

Non-calls:
Chicago: 60 hook, 60 trip, 90 goalie interference (would negate goal), 65 boarding, 50 interference, 60 trip, ? possible high stick, 70 trip, 100 interference/penalty shot
Dallas: 60 cross check, 50 trip, 70 interference, 60 hook

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
I don't know, call me an apologist but Robidas gets the raw side of calls more often than not. If a call can go one way or the other, Robi gets the whistle. I disagree that he takes terrible penalties though. Truly bad penalties for defensemen are taken in the offensive zone. Robidas' penalties are usually of the "try hard" variety. He gets a lot of calls for bad hits, etc. Some of the time they are from bad positioning, but not very often. He's also an abuser of the "puck over the glass" delay of game penalty as well.

Like it or not, he's still the best all around defenseman on the team and getting rid of him will not make the team better. It's been said over and over, but it's true; Robidas is being overexposed in his role of #1 defenseman. If/when we get some help on defense in here it will only make Robidas that much better of a fit. Until then, just "moving" him won't accomplish anything.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Without Robidas it doesn't matter if our PIMs go down, our defense is garbage without him, hes the only top 3 defensemen we have, the rest are a collection of 4s, 5s, and then theres AHL caliber defensemen like Niskanen and Woywitka. Dallas would need to bring in someone else guarenteed. Instantly a worse team if Robidas isn't on it.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I don't know, call me an apologist but Robidas gets the raw side of calls more often than not. If a call can go one way or the other, Robi gets the whistle. I disagree that he takes terrible penalties though. Truly bad penalties for defensemen are taken in the offensive zone. Robidas' penalties are usually of the "try hard" variety. He gets a lot of calls for bad hits, etc. Some of the time they are from bad positioning, but not very often. He's also an abuser of the "puck over the glass" delay of game penalty as well.

Like it or not, he's still the best all around defenseman on the team and getting rid of him will not make the team better. It's been said over and over, but it's true; Robidas is being overexposed in his role of #1 defenseman. If/when we get some help on defense in here it will only make Robidas that much better of a fit. Until then, just "moving" him won't accomplish anything.
As part of the team's top pairing, Robidas is also matched up against the strongest competition the other team has to offer. Often, those are players who have the reputation for forcing other players into penalties, which will contribute to referees giving them the benefit of the doubt in a given situation (see: elbow on Toews - that isn't called if Toews doesn't fall, but Toews is considered a clean guy who does not dive and who forces other players into fouling him, so he got the benefit of the doubt).

Last night's idiocy notwithstanding, most of Robidas' penalties are on borderline hits (a legit critique, but also his attempt to make up for his lack of sheer size and establish a physical presence) and the type of non-physical foul that will happen when you're playing against some of the league's top players.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:57 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
As part of the team's top pairing, Robidas is also matched up against the strongest competition the other team has to offer. Often, those are players who have the reputation for forcing other players into penalties, which will contribute to referees giving them the benefit of the doubt in a given situation (see: elbow on Toews - that isn't called if Toews doesn't fall, but Toews is considered a clean guy who does not dive and who forces other players into fouling him, so he got the benefit of the doubt).

Last night's idiocy notwithstanding, most of Robidas' penalties are on borderline hits (a legit critique, but also his attempt to make up for his lack of sheer size and establish a physical presence) and the type of non-physical foul that will happen when you're playing against some of the league's top players.
Pretty much my take on it, specifically with his borderline hits and playing against star players on a nightly basis. The deck is somewhat stacked against him from the word 'go.'

Old
12-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Robidas isn't my number one target. Heck if we're trying to improve the defense Niskanen isn't on the ice in my world but defending Robidas by saying well he sucks less is hardly a rousing endorsement.

To me he's overpaid for what he is and Dallas would be much better off trading him and bringing back someone who though younger and will make mistakes has room for growth and should be better during the overlapping time of their contracts. I know that won't happen so watching him take bad penalties because he's continually playing too many minutes against players he shouldn't be on the ice against grates.

Honestly its not his fault. He is who he is and he's in the position because of factors outside of his control. I just have this visceral reaction when he shoots the puck out of the rink or takes a hooking, holding call because he can't properly play the man he's trying to defend. Watching him fail to get a point shot on net during the powerplay doesn't endear me either.

Old
12-09-2010, 06:51 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I'm definitely not defending Robidas by say that he sucks less. I don't think he sucks.

If I'm grading all seven of our opening night roster on a "negative, even, plus" scale as far as doing their job (not plus minus):

Daley: plus
Fistric: even
Grossman: even/plus
Niskanen: negative
Robidas: plus
Skrastins: even/plus
Woywitka: even