HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Definition of Insanity is.........

Old
12-05-2010, 08:18 AM
BlueJackets66

vCash: 500
Definition of Insanity is.........

that's right doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results. I know we got off to a great start and when December hit this is when the downfall starts. As we can see from the last 5 games we are STILL not ready for the next step. I know, i know people are going to say look new coaching staff give him a chance and the players need to pick up his system! Look guys i know like myself and other arm chair GM's we would like to think that way, but wake up these are professionals they are expected to preform day in and day out not matter the money. Remember this is a business just like the one you work for everyday. If you don't preform and put out a good service or a good product you won't have a job very long. Just food for thought.

My suggestion is to blow up the top man and get a quick stop loss here. I know this is death to me, but let's actually trade Rick Nash to another team for another great player. Guys and girls lets not forget that the "best players in the world" make the players around the better. I have not seen that from Rick Nash at all through out his entire career. He is not the only issue so i am not just picking on him. But if we don't get our s*%t together we will not have a team that will disappoint us every year. I am the one person who hopes he eats so much crow when it comes to this and we turn it around, but i don't see it happening. Please just let the owners come out and say the reason we can't make moves is that we can not afford it, but don't give us other BS reasons on why and how we have to put in a complete team effort.

I just had to get that off my chest, not due to the losing streak because god knows we have like 15 of the a year since day one!! BTW get rid of the 3rd jersey. It all has gone downhill since then. Fire away (pun intented)

BlueJackets66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:32 AM
BluejacketNut

The problem isnt Rick Nash, the problem is we dont have enough Rick Nash's. Howson's money management has been terrible with the team he's assembled.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:53 AM
BlueJackets66

that's why i said it is not just him, but when you are touted as the best player on the team and the savior of the team by the fans and team and your the F'ING captain the blame could come straight to you if no one else. I love all these people that put certain players on a higher level when they have no idea from a business standpoint what is going on. I don't think people realize the predicament we are in. We are going to lose our team and then what? We need to put a good product on the ice and if we don't we will have nothing. We can start rooting for the Quebec Blue Jackets or the Kansas City Blue Jackets!!! Let's get with the program remember guys this is year 10 that's right year 10 and we have done nothing.

Your right its not Nash by himself, but he plays a huge role and we have to get new leadership on the ice with new players and stop hoping for different results when we put the same product out there.

Old
12-05-2010, 10:22 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Know how many players in the Western Conference have more goals than Nash? Two. Who do you plan to trade him for? You talk about business and yet you want to trade the best known player on the team, one who showed loyalty by signing a long-term contract when he could have gone anywhere in the league. Makes no sense, from a marketing standpoint.

If you watched last night's game, he was working hard and giving it everything he had, just as he does, in my opinion, almost every night. Did he get caught behind the play, as someone mentioned last night? Of course, everyone does on occasion. I don't see the lazy play that so many others do.

BjN is right - Nash isn't the problem. He's not the entire solution, though, either. Put Crosby or Ovie on the ice with the Jackets, right now, and they'd have trouble winning, too. Either the current roster has to begin to reach their potential and start to gel, or they need to make some changes. One I would not make is trading Nash.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:38 AM
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater

Really....trade Rick Nash. When there is an opening submit your resume. Your going to fit right in with the current management's plan with hockey sense like that.

tijuana knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Sure Nash has plenty of goals, but we need a guy who gets 80 points in 70 games, not 80 points in 40 games.

Nash is far too inconsistent for the type of super star he's supposed to be. That's either due to his personal skill or a lack of help.

Whatever it's due to, if Brassard, Voracek, and Filatov can't start playing like veterans soon, it may be time to look at trading one or two of them. Remember, Brassard was drafted just after Backstrom and Toews. Think he's too young to be a consistent player in this league? Think again.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Insanity is fielding the same roster as last year and expecting different results.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:07 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Nash is far too inconsistent for the type of super star he's supposed to be. That's either due to his personal skill or a lack of help.
I am firmly in the "lack of help" camp.

Quote:
Whatever it's due to, if Brassard, Voracek, and Filatov can't start playing like veterans soon, it may be time to look at trading one or two of them. Remember, Brassard was drafted just after Backstrom and Toews. Think he's too young to be a consistent player in this league? Think again.
The more experienced "youth" on this club definitely needs to group and start taking ownership of THEIR team.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:11 AM
FiveHole23

The definition of Insanity is ... this thread.

I really don't like a lot of you on this board.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:37 AM
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater

I am going out on a limb and wondering if the people who want to trade Nash are the same ones who think that Filatov would fetch Letang and a 4th. Or even Letang straight up or at all. If u saw last nite Filatov shouldn't be on the ice with Engelland.

Here is idea, keep Nash. Get rid of Commodore. Crosby is something else but he says Crosby competes for the puck consistently.... Duh. commodore doesn't understand this type of work ethic. Who besides Nash gies that effort. Nash was really only who competed on the Blue Jackets all night. bleu Jackets were on a power play and couldn't get the puck from Michalek.

What do want Nash to say after the game? I am guessing he is too pissed off and doesn't feel like the need to make nice about a team that kicked their but. What does he need to say that you as fan can't figure out?

Old
12-05-2010, 01:11 PM
EdwardG
North!

During that Nashville game, I commented on the thread that it was the first I'd seen of the "old" Blue Jackets, and it concerned me. Now we're seeing them full-bore. I think we need to give this more time and see if Arniel can change things around. This is not a great team, but going out there collapsing every other game is a sign of mental weakness. If this continues, I think the team needs to identify where the weakness is coming from and try to get rid of it. Is it Nash? I don't know. The guy is a lot streakier than we need, but he's by far the best player on the team. We need more guys at his level. We need youngsters to develop into quality players instead of disappearing.

Speaking of which, does Derek Brassard still play for the Blue Jackets?

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
I'm not sure, but I know everyone was screaming "#1 center" after he had a couple of good games. Where they at now?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana knuckles View Post
What do want Nash to say after the game? I am guessing he is too pissed off and doesn't feel like the need to make nice about a team that kicked their but. What does he need to say that you as fan can't figure out?
I just want SOMEONE to say it. I want Arniel to grow a pair and publicly ask Howson to bring in some REAL talent during the post game conference.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:21 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
During that Nashville game, I commented on the thread that it was the first I'd seen of the "old" Blue Jackets, and it concerned me. Now we're seeing them full-bore. I think we need to give this more time and see if Arniel can change things around. This is not a great team, but going out there collapsing every other game is a sign of mental weakness. If this continues, I think the team needs to identify where the weakness is coming from and try to get rid of it. Is it Nash? I don't know. The guy is a lot streakier than we need, but he's by far the best player on the team. We need more guys at his level. We need youngsters to develop into quality players instead of disappearing.

No, it isn't Nash. He came out 24 seconds into the game last night and put Oprik on his ass with an aggressive check. He set the tone.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:31 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
The definition of Insanity is ... this thread.

I really don't like a lot of you on this board.
LOL!

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Dednimnepo
Winning is the Fun

What do I know ? I'm no hockey guru but as I see it... I do not like having a captain with Rick Nash's personality. That said Rick has done well this year.

We have 7 million in cap space. The wings have <1 million and the penguins have about 1.5. If we spent (it won't happen) 5 million we could get a second star to Nash. would we still be having this conversation?

The solution:
1. The team needing to recognize it is them and they have little to no support and for them to succeed the only way is the hard way.
2. We need an ownership that will lose lots of money to build a team and franchise that can support itself. Is there anyone in Columbus that:
- Has $150 million to buy the team
- wants to keep the team here
- has a deep rooted love of hockey
- is willing to write off $10 to 20 million in losses for 4 or 5 years until we start regularly winning and playing better?

Dednimnepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:56 PM
jktsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well I Never View Post
2. We need an ownership that will lose lots of money to build a team and franchise that can support itself. Is there anyone in Columbus that:
- Has $150 million to buy the team
- wants to keep the team here
- has a deep rooted love of hockey
- is willing to write off $10 to 20 million in losses for 4 or 5 years until we start regularly winning and playing better?
I think Nationwide fits this answer but then again I keep rooting for the CBJ every year even though they continually let me down so obviously I don't get it.

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Doug19

Actually it's funny you say that this year, because I believe the past 2 maybe 3 years he has been making those around him better. It's not his fault Voracek isn't finishing anything right now.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I'm not sure, but I know everyone was screaming "#1 center" after he had a couple of good games. Where they at now?
Lets be honest, we wouldn't even be talking about that #1 line if Voracek would have potted those 10 open net chances he's had over the last 5 games. I really don't see much of a problem with that line, they are still creating, they just aren't finishing.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Renion

Rick sees what you are doing in here.

Quote:
No, it isn't Nash. He came out 24 seconds into the game last night and put Oprik on his ass with an aggressive check. He set the tone.
I'm pretty sure that sentence supports the OP, given how last night's game went

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:40 PM
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater

You could pick out hundreds things that need to be fixed about the Blue Jacket on the ice, and off the ice with their decisions before Rick Nash should even enter the conversation. He is streaky as you say because he is doing it himself. He is the one consistent positive that this franchise has. There are 29 other teams that would be more than happy to take him off Columbus' hands.

If that trade is made (especially after he showed ultimate loyalty with his last contract), the NHL should disband the franchise.

Old
12-05-2010, 03:58 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I just want SOMEONE to say it. I want Arniel to grow a pair and publicly ask Howson to bring in some REAL talent during the post game conference.
Grow a pair of what? Does stupidity come in pairs? He's been on the job for six months and you want him to call out his boss? Have you ever held a job? I understand that you're pissed, but don't be ridiculous.

Last edited by pete goegan: 12-05-2010 at 05:06 PM.
pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:53 PM
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater

Arniel is the other good decision magt has made. And Hitchcock wasn't the problem. But when it cam time to hire a coach arniel is a good choice. Boucher knew he wasn't going to get the tools he needed in Columbus. Can you blame him for picking Tampa. There was no area Columbus was a better situation. Arniel is not the problem

So once you can past Nash and Arnei, you can pick anything else. It is wide open, all the way down to allowing Zamboni riders with the other teams jerseys

Old
12-05-2010, 05:39 PM
FANonymous

I wonder if we're all asking too much of Nash. I know I know he gets paid millions of dollars and everything. Before we started asking him to play tough defense, he was putting up rocket-candidate levels goals. Guess what we're missing right now, goals by the bunches. Let Pahlsson and the other forwards on the team and on his line play stifling defense, Nash was a solid gold goal-scorer. Now he gets stuffed on 90% of his breakaways. We want him to score, and we want him to check everybody, and we want him to make all his teammates better, and we want him to be the leader of the team, and we want him to drop the gloves, and we want him to be a huge factor in the powerplay, and we want him to be a huge factor on the penalty kill.

Nobody else on this team is asked to be even half of those things. We ***** and moan about Huselius and his contract and that he's streaky, but no one expects him to go out and hit people or play defense. Look at the elite players in the league. Does Crosby drop the gloves or hit people? What about the other guys leading the league in goal scoring? Are they asked to play shut-down defense as well or are they given free reign to focus on offense and let the rest of their line worry a little more about defense?

I'm not saying it's okay to play absolutely no D at all. but maybe we should let our offensive guys focus a little more on offense and pair them up with a Defensive-minded guy on their line to help cover them. Would it work? Who knows? What we're doing right now though, that's not working anymore.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 07:34 PM
BlueJackets66

we should be asking a lot from Nash he is the captain. People this was not about Nash by himself, but the way we think of a team. Nash has been around for a while and has never had a PPG season. He is good not great. Good teams have 2-3 Nash's. Granted he is our best player, but until we get 1-2 more Nash's we will never do anything. I know everybody loves Nash and it is impossible to look anywhere else other than Nash, but look at the make up of other good teams. We are getting better, but we are not there.