HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty

Old
12-05-2010, 03:54 AM
optionthree

vCash: 500
Doughty

Don't get a whole lot of chances to watch the Kings, but what's up with Doughty? He has 7 points in 19 games and only one goal and his production is nowhere near what it was last year. He's also barely shooting the puck (5 shots in his last 5 games) and has a horrible shooting percentage. Why is he slumping so hard right now?

optionthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:57 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

His points are down because the whole PP is sucking at life.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:04 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
His points are down because the whole PP is sucking at life.
This. Our assistant coach who runs the PP is an idiot and needs to be fired.

CNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:04 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Teams are playing him different this year. They are playing the body and nothing else. Plus his injury didn't help. Also came into camp a little out of shape compared to last year. Also got a little cocky. He will adapt and get back on track at some point during the season. I expect him to really break out next season though....

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:38 AM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
Teams are playing him different this year. They are playing the body and nothing else. Plus his injury didn't help. Also came into camp a little out of shape compared to last year. Also got a little cocky. He will adapt and get back on track at some point during the season. I expect him to really break out next season though....
During the pre-game interview with o'neal and Doughty tonight, he seemed way too cocky. It pissed me off.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Last 2 games (wins against FLA and DET) were possibly Doughty's best 2 of the season. He's coming around, all right. He's recovered from the head injury and his overall conditioning is clearly better. These last 2 games, he's done a much better job moving his feet, skating with the puck, making smart reads and defending against opposing top lines.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I think Greene called out Kopitar and Doughty during their on ice meeting. They have played differently the past two games. Greene has talked about how important it is to have your stars perform every night to the media. He said it gets everyone into the game when the stars are flying out there.

Fox mentioned that the coaches talked to Doughty about moving his feet. He has rushed the puck more the past two games. Doughty is still hesitating in the offensive zone, but his rushes are getting better.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:56 AM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Last 2 games (wins against FLA and DET) were possibly Doughty's best 2 of the season. He's coming around, all right. He's recovered from the head injury and his overall conditioning is clearly better. These last 2 games, he's done a much better job moving his feet, skating with the puck, making smart reads and defending against opposing top lines.
This x100... much much better

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Habstract

Even if the points aren't there in the last few games. He found his game back. He's playing like the Doughty we saw last season, points will come, no worries.

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

As far as shots and goals are concerned, if you watch, teams are double teaming him and/or rushing him. If you single him out, especially on the PP, the lane in front of him always seems to be clogged. He needs to adjust (and IMO will) to this and become a little more mobile.

He's looked great the past few games defensive wise. A few bobbles here and there, but much more himself.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Came into the year out-of-shape, got injured, and is just now starting to come around with his conditioning and rehab. He will start putting up points as soon as the powerplay starts clicking and Kompon goes back to school.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:06 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I think Greene called out Kopitar and Doughty during their on ice meeting. They have played differently the past two games. Greene has talked about how important it is to have your stars perform every night to the media. He said it gets everyone into the game when the stars are flying out there.

Well Greene may not be a star but he is an assistant captain and he has been as bad as a player can be. Not just the silly turnovers but his defense has been a tragedy. All he does is run around like a chicken with his head cut off. If he's calling people out I hope he put a disclaimer appologizing for his poor play.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
As far as shots and goals are concerned, if you watch, teams are double teaming him and/or rushing him. If you single him out, especially on the PP, the lane in front of him always seems to be clogged. He needs to adjust (and IMO will) to this and become a little more mobile.

He's looked great the past few games defensive wise. A few bobbles here and there, but much more himself.
They are only clogged because he has held on to the puck two seconds before shooting all season. I really don't understand why he is taking so long to shoot. That puck needs to be shot the second it gets to him instead of setting up his own weak little wrister.

Old
12-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Well Greene may not be a star but he is an assistant captain and he has been as bad as a player can be. Not just the silly turnovers but his defense has been a tragedy. All he does is run around like a chicken with his head cut off. If he's calling people out I hope he put a disclaimer appologizing for his poor play.
He already called himself out to the media a few weeks ago. Greene isn't going to act as if he is blameless, he's a stand-up guy. I'm sure Kopitar and Doughty have no problem getting words from Greene.

The timing just seems right with the on ice meeting followed by Kopitar and Doughty's improved play.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
FTheScene

Quote:
yep.

FTheScene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 05:18 PM
redcard

Smyth needs to start taking away his diet coke again.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
After the home loss to the Blue Jackets, Greene had this to say:

Quote:
(on the defensive breakdowns…)
GREENE: “I just think it was some mental lapses. I’m talking for myself personally, here. Obviously it’s a mental game out there, in terms of defense. You have to think a little bit more than react, and right now personally I’m not doing it. I’ve been a culprit, with the minuses in the last couple games here. I think that’s it. It’s nothing to do with our scheme, nothing to do with our system. I think it’s just, me myself — I can’t speak for the other guys out there — but for me, and watching the other guys, it’s not lack of commitment or effort. It’s the mental side of the game that I think has slipped, the last two nights.” -
source: Rich

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Taylor18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Came into the year out-of-shape, got injured, and is just now starting to come around with his conditioning and rehab. He will start putting up points as soon as the powerplay starts clicking and Kompon goes back to school.
Who said Doughty came into the season out of shape… coaches? Certainly that and getting injured effects not only Doughty’s play, but the Power play… eh? Doughty was a major force on the PP last year.

Wasn’t Kompon the coach last year? If so what did he change from last year (besides adding/subtracting a chunky/healthy Doughty)?

If Kings PP scored at last year’s 20.8% efficiency (7th best) they would have scored 6 more PP goals this year. If the Kings were 16.7% this year (a respectable 13th) the Kings would have scored 2 more PP goals this year.

I expect the PP will improve some, probably not to where it was last year (20.8%). Plus, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the PK drop off some (especially at home…duh). I think the main thing is the Kings score more PP goals then opposition.

Last year
King PK (20th) allowed 60 goals
King PP (7th) scored 64 goals
Kings scored 4 more PP goals than the opposition
Special teams (+4)

So far this year:
Kings PK (4th) 13 goals allowed
Kings PP (23rd) Scored 14 goals
Kings scored 1 more PP goal than the opposition
Special teams (+1)

Taylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
They are only clogged because he has held on to the puck two seconds before shooting all season. I really don't understand why he is taking so long to shoot. That puck needs to be shot the second it gets to him instead of setting up his own weak little wrister.

Im sure you realize that's the same knock I have with JJ for the past two seasons. They are both hesitiating with their point shot, and it often costs them the open shot they had. Teams now play JJ for the fake shot, and they are ruxshing DD on the point as well. Quick low wristers get through to the net (ask Lidstrom and Quincey) and even if they dont hit the back of the net they set up rebounds for tap ins and roofers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
He already called himself out to the media a few weeks ago. Greene isn't going to act as if he is blameless, he's a stand-up guy. I'm sure Kopitar and Doughty have no problem getting words from Greene.

The timing just seems right with the on ice meeting followed by Kopitar and Doughty's improved play.
Greene is the first guy to point fingers, . . . at himself. Yes he's play has been not very good at times, but remember he's a #5 Defenseman.

We are really missing Mitchell.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:18 PM
FTheScene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor18 View Post
Who said Doughty came into the season out of shape… coaches?
he looked lean and physically fit to me at the season ticket event i went to last friday... more so than last year IMO.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTheScene View Post
he looked lean and physically fit to me at the season ticket event i went to last friday... more so than last year IMO.
Exactly. One person says he's out of shape or fat then everybody picks up on it. This games not easy folks and when you become a star people key on you. They watch tape on you and study certain things you do. When Doughty started the season teams were going after him and then the concussion early. Now he's starting to pick it up and adjusting his game around how he's being played. I don't care about points unless there in the standings. At the end of the year Doughty will have his points and people will be bowing again.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:50 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTheScene View Post
Lean and physically fit are two completely differant things. You can be skinny yet be poorly conditioned. It was painfully obvious that Doughty wasn't conditioned.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:54 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Exactly. One person says he's out of shape or fat then everybody picks up on it. This games not easy folks and when you become a star people key on you. They watch tape on you and study certain things you do. When Doughty started the season teams were going after him and then the concussion early. Now he's starting to pick it up and adjusting his game around how he's being played. I don't care about points unless there in the standings. At the end of the year Doughty will have his points and people will be bowing again.
I'm really not sure I buy this whole "teams are keying on him" argument. He was a standout rookie, and a Norris finalist last year. He hasn't been catching anybody by surprise for a long time now.

I've argued for him being out of shape in other threads, and as I said there, it looked like he was out of shape from the beginning of training camp when he started taking lazy penalties. And, just based on my own observation, he's looked a step slower. But, as we've discussed elsewhere, his decision making has also been questionable at times. So, maybe it's not a fitness issue, but one of focus. Perhaps Doughty is in great shape but doesn't have his head in the game, so he's taking bad penalties, making bad decisions with the puck, his positioning is off, and so on. I'm happy to believe this, since he's clearly improved a great deal in the last couple of games. Maybe he's found some focus, and that has led to an improvement across the board.

But, it's hard to argue (from my perspective) that Doughty wasn't a bit off in his play for most of the first two months or so. Sure, the injury was a problem, but he wasn't up to par before that. Here's my issue with the argument that other teams are just playing him better. In order for that to be the explanation, EVERY team the Kings played would have needed to be playing him better, since Doughty's performance was below average against, well, every team the Kings played. Moreover, EVERY team would have needed to improve how they played against Doughty since last year, because Doughty's performance was so much better last year against everyone.

So, to explain this across the board shift in his performance, we can either look to a some combination of his fitness and focus, or we can say that the entire league suddenly figured out how to play against Doughty, all at once and after a year in which he was a Norris finalist. I know which of those seems more plausible to me.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
FTheScene

Quote:
Lean and physically fit are two completely differant things. You can be skinny yet be poorly conditioned. It was painfully obvious that Doughty wasn't conditioned.
yeah, to be fair i didn't administer a V02 test to substantiate my 'fit' claim.

Old
12-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
So, to explain this across the board shift in his performance, we can either look to a some combination of his fitness and focus, or we can say that the entire league suddenly figured out how to play against Doughty, all at once and after a year in which he was a Norris finalist. I know which of those seems more plausible to me.
Some of us see other scenarios involving conditioning, a concussion, teams focusing on an all-star D, and Doughty having to raise his game, including physical strength and conditioning - because opponents are focused on him.

It's not just Doughty's conditioning. It's Doughty that other teams have to attack. That is going to change the way he plays. He's just now starting to adjust to that.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote