HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Lombardi will be back, not worried about that. Wondering who your boy would be?
I don't know, someone with a history of NHL success would be nice. Someone who actually addresses the holes on the team instead of making cliche infested comments and lawyer talk to his mouth piece.

Quote:
Maybe the Kings should try changing coaches as often as the Michigan football program. That seems to be working for them.
Wonderful example, we are about to hire our fifth football coach in 42 years. They made one awful hire, it happens (Your boy has made 2 in five years).

Quote:
What is going on with the Kings right now? Young team got younger and is still very inconsistent, not just from game-to-game but from minute-to-minute it seems. Doughty-Johnson pairing is not working when it comes to their own end, Simmonds can't seem to find his game on a regular basis. Lewis, Clifford, and Martinez are having fine seasons...for rookies that is. That is what is going on with the Kings.
I feel like I am reading a Lombardi interview with Hammond.

No blame at all to the shill for not solving the scoring issues on the first and second lines?

No blame at all to TM for keeping that pairing together despite how poorly they have played?

Next thing you will blame Red Berenson for Johnson and Doughty's ES struggles.

Quote:
I know some of you were expecting improvement on a linear basis, but that isn't the way it works.
Sorry if some of us expected to be better than 11th in the Western Conference half way through year 5 of the Lombardi era.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:44 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Meh. They'll get a new face. That face'll be Jack Johnson's. I say good riddance.
That's funny...some 16 year old in Ottawa is making the same statement about the Kings having a new face of the franchise when they trade Doughty or Kopitar to their team for prospects. Come on.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Sorry if some of us expected to be better than 11th in the Western Conference half way through year 5 of the Lombardi era.
Full disclosure would be nice...they are 3 points out of 4th place...not exactly "buried" in 11th place are they?

Old
01-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Full disclosure would be nice...they are 3 points out of 4th place...not exactly "buried" in 11th place are they?
Fair enough, but the Kings are falling apart right now with mostly home games. The Kings are trending down, would you disagree?

The Kings are 10-14-1 since the start and take a look at Febuary's schedule, kind of a huge task for this team to make the playoffs.

Maybe if this team were loaded with talent and struggling like the Pens were a couple of years ago you could have hope, but this team has a ton of holes and while they aren't as bad as they have played the last few games, this is a 6-12 seed team who is going to have to stay healthy and figure out how to win on the road to get into the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:56 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I don't know, someone with a history of NHL success would be nice. Someone who actually addresses the holes on the team instead of making cliche infested comments and lawyer talk to his mouth piece.

Wonderful example, we are about to hire our fifth football coach in 42 years. They made one awful hire, it happens (Your boy has made 2 in five years).

I feel like I am reading a Lombardi interview with Hammond.

No blame at all to the shill for not solving the scoring issues on the first and second lines?

No blame at all to TM for keeping that pairing together despite how poorly they have played?

Next thing you will blame Red Berenson for Johnson and Doughty's ES struggles.

FYI, Lombardi has a history of success in the NHL as an evaluator of talent and as a GM.

Let the bias roll. Lombardi is a shill because he didn't sell the farm or screw the cap by signing an uber-expensive LW that isn't necessary.

Honestly, I don't have a clue as to why Scuderi isn't back with Doughty. It's apparent that Doughty still needs training wheels in his own end, but maybe the Johnson-Doughty pairing is more about the long-term than the right now.

Someone beat me to it. The Kings are hardly out of playoff contention in the Western Conference. There will be at least 3 good teams that will miss the playoffs in the West, but if the Kings are one of them irrational fans will want this management team fired.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
There is zero chance the Oilers trade Gretzky, zero

I often think this line is a misnomer. "If Gretzky could be traded, anyone could be traded."

Was Gretzky truly traded?

I'd say no. Gretzky was quite literally, sold. You can't do that no more.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Fair enough, but the Kings are falling apart right now with mostly home games. The Kings are trending down, would you disagree?

The Kings are 10-14-1 since the start and take a look at Febuary's schedule, kind of a huge task for this team to make the playoffs.

Maybe if this team were loaded with talent and struggling like the Pens were a couple of years ago you could have hope, but this team has a ton of holes and while they aren't as bad as they have played the last few games, this is a 6-12 seed team who is going to have to stay healthy and figure out how to win on the road to get into the playoffs.
Yeah, cause the Pens have no holes on their wings or even in goal where MAF hasn't been a model of consistency over the last couple of seasons. Every team has its holes.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Probably. My picture is larger than yours.

Quote:
The Kings are 10-14-1 since the start
Start? Start of what?

Old
01-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Eklund thinks that Dallas landed Langs. Makes sense for Dallas, wonder what they gave up.
Conditional pick(s), somewhat odd scenarios. If Dallas wins a playoff round, it's a 2nd rounder. If they don't and Langenbrunner signs elsewhere, it's a 3rd rounder. If they don't but re-sign Langenbrunner prior to the draft, it's a 2nd rounder. If they don't but re-sign Langenbrunner after the draft/July 1st, Devils will get a 3rd rounder this year and Dallas' 2nd next year while sending a 3rd next year.

Somewhat disappointing return, market may have been inhibited by his NTC. Telling thing from the conference call was that Langenbrunner admitted to declining to waive his NTC in training camp and in December. That would offer up some explanation to why he's been so bad this year knowing he was essentially a lameduck player.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Start? Start of what?
12-3, mostly with Mitchell in the lineup.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Kings17,

Lombardi has been a GM in the NHL for 11 seasons and has three playoff series wins, I guess our definition of success must be different, it's cool.

When did anyone advocate trading the farm for a LW...please cite an example?

As for spending big $$$ an unnecessary LW, well he did, that's for sure.

He still has not addressed the first line LW spot (although the cap hit would say otherwise) and we don't have a legit #2 center.

How after five seasons have these not been filled?

And if the Kings miss the playoffs this season would you deem it a failure?

And if Lombardi gets another year, how long will it take before the team looks like a championship contender, 7 years, 8 years?

Old
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
12-3, mostly with Mitchell in the lineup.
See here's the thing, I think Lombardi correctly identified the hole that needed to be filled most last summer, that being a steady defenseman. That's why the Kovalchuk situation was on the back burner until Martin and Hamhus were signed.

When Lombardi missed out on those two guys he turned his attention to Kovalchuk and started looking at the next level of defensemen that interested him. Mitchell was a risk injury-wise, but Lombardi didn't pay the premium UFA price in terms of dollars or length of contract that the other two required. Calculated risk, but necessary in my opinion.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
nki

Quote:
FYI, Lombardi has a history of success in the NHL as an evaluator of talent and as a GM.

Let the bias roll. Lombardi is a shill because he didn't sell the farm or screw the cap by signing an uber-expensive LW that isn't necessary.

Honestly, I don't have a clue as to why Scuderi isn't back with Doughty. It's apparent that Doughty still needs training wheels in his own end, but maybe the Johnson-Doughty pairing is more about the long-term than the right now.

Someone beat me to it. The Kings are hardly out of playoff contention in the Western Conference. There will be at least 3 good teams that will miss the playoffs in the West, but if the Kings are one of them irrational fans will want this management team fired.
An uber-expensive LW isn't necessary, but Parse? Really, Parse? And through how many left wingers did they go on the first line about 7-8? King on the first line? Really?

I would be ok with missing playoffs if kids were playing to ease the transition since guys like Smyth, Handzus, Sturm, Williams aren't going to be here much longer and it is eventually going to happen regardless. But this is a team that still heavily relies on vets.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:37 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
An uber-expensive LW isn't necessary, but Parse? Really, Parse? And through how many left wingers did they go on the first line about 7-8? King on the first line? Really?

I would be ok with missing playoffs if kids were playing to ease the transition since guys like Smyth, Handzus, Sturm, Williams aren't going to be here much longer and it is eventually going to happen regardless. But this is a team that still heavily relies on vets.
Why isnt Williams going to be here much longer?

Old
01-07-2011, 11:41 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
That's what i'm thinking, and the only way Smyth is going anywhere is through Buyout.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
That's what i'm thinking, and the only way Smyth is going anywhere is through Buyout.
Exactly. Smtyh will be here at least one more year and wouldnt surprise me to see him take a discount to stay. Williams is 28 and on pace for his 3rd 30 goal season in 6 seasons.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:53 AM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
I think some people are assuming he is going to be gone since he is a UFA after this season.

This is probably going to be his last big contract, so there is a chance someone will give him some decent money.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:05 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Knowing DL we'll probably have this next season:

FORWARDS
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / UFA ($0.000m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Wayne Simmonds ($2.500m)
Brad Richardson ($1.250m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.900m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Dwight King ($0.591m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($6.000m)
Jack Johnson ($4.000m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Matt Greene ($2.950m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) /Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,835,000; BONUSES: $2,405,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,565,000

Old
01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post

That was what so encouraging about last season, because it wasn't the case. Last season the Kings relied heavily on Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick. Supporting cast members like Simmonds and Richardson chipped in, in a big way.

This year the kids fell back a little bit and the vets have stepped forward. Kopitar, Quick, and Brown are still pretty much pulling their own weight, but Doughty and Simmonds' regression are hurting right now.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:29 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I often think this line is a misnomer. "If Gretzky could be traded, anyone could be traded."

Was Gretzky truly traded?

I'd say no. Gretzky was quite literally, sold. You can't do that no more.
Well... You can't get cash, but you can trade a big contract. A penny saved...

Old
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Making the playoffs last season AHEAD of schedule may have been the worst thing that could have happened to some of the fans.
Life would be easier as a fan if Dean would just share this schedule of his. That way, we know when everything is going to happen and I can upgrade my season tickets the year we are scheduled to win the cup

Old
01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Life would be easier as a fan if Dean would just share this schedule of his. That way, we know when everything is going to happen and I can upgrade my season tickets the year we are scheduled to win the cup
You know I would love to tell you, but there are some things where Hextall has sworn me to secrecy. And well, have you seen those Hextall videos on YouTube?

Old
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
You know I would love to tell you, but there are some things where Hextall has sworn me to secrecy. And well, have you seen those Hextall videos on YouTube?
Hextall is coming for you!

Old
01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Knowing DL we'll probably have this next season:

FORWARDS
Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Ryan Smyth ($6.250m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / UFA ($0.000m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Wayne Simmonds ($2.500m)
Brad Richardson ($1.250m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.900m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Dwight King ($0.591m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($6.000m)
Jack Johnson ($4.000m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Matt Greene ($2.950m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) /Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,835,000; BONUSES: $2,405,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,565,000
The way Doughty's playing, he'd be lucky to get a 6 mill extension lmao

Old
01-07-2011, 03:08 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
The way Doughty's playing, he'd be lucky to get a 6 mill extension lmao
This ought to be a poll at the end of the season after we see how he does in the 2nd half. Would you give Doughty 10 years and $60M?

Closed Thread