HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Wang Afford to Run Islanders??

Old
12-08-2010, 12:07 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Yes, Murray was quoted as saying she would pursue Stimulus funds to fund construction of a new arena/renovation. She knew Papa Wanger, hero to the masses, would not yield one inch in negotiations and the project was thus doomed.

Her constituents blasted her for not allowing Wango the Wonderful to build a city and then ask taxpayers to foot the bill on road construction and highway improvements which Wangkai Shek has said ad nauseum he would only contribute a pittance to.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Sideshow Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
A few things:

1) Let us assume that Wang is driving the Isles into the ground on purpose. He wants to devalue them...
2) If the $500 million lawsuit is filed, how does he driving the Isles into the ground play into that?
3) What other hidden benefits could there be from him driving the Isles into the ground?
4) Would moving the land in Plainview (another un-realized land development) be apart of Wang wanting to create more wealth in-case of the $500 million lawsuit?

It also seems that the author of the article is just enjoying Wang getting his comeuppance.
i think the article was written by OlTimeHockey.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
i think the article was written by OlTimeHockey.
no way.

way too little nudity, violence and coarse language for it to be OTH!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
no way.

way too little nudity, violence and coarse language for it to be OTH!
You forgot squirrel fights.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
rollin109

Can this guy please buy the Islanders, Listen to this interview of prospective owner of Coyotes, everything you want an owner to be.

http://video.coyotes.nhl.com/videoce...id=-6&id=86240

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Steve55

http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Busin...out-CA-239618/

Look at clip 30 of 40 facts about CA. It says CA sued Charles Wang for 600 million in 2009.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
A few things:

1) Let us assume that Wang is driving the Isles into the ground on purpose. He wants to devalue them...
2) If the $500 million lawsuit is filed, how does he driving the Isles into the ground play into that?
3) What other hidden benefits could there be from him driving the Isles into the ground?
4) Would moving the land in Plainview (another un-realized land development) be apart of Wang wanting to create more wealth in-case of the $500 million lawsuit?

It also seems that the author of the article is just enjoying Wang getting his comeuppance.
Sometimes you devalue an asset to sell it quickly. A large bloated company with management and or operating costs that may be hard or expensive to get rid of due to existing contracts, is often not something a new owner would want. A bare bones operation one that could be built as a new owner would see fit is the more attractive option. Especially if you can buy the entity at a below market price. In fact a new owner may be willing to pay a little more because his initial operating costs are low and he is starting off with a blank canvas.

The benefit for Wang is to sell of what assets he can quickly in order to find ways to shelter monies from this possible lawsuit.

Sometimes just getting assets such as unused property off of your tax roles is worth more than the land itself. Especially if you are willing to donate i.e. Kellenburg High School and use it as a deduction.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Bert Marshall days

Nobody is buying NYI without an arena deal in place. Doesn't matter how bareboned or devalued they are. Don't see him saving pennies to pay for an ultimate $500 mil lawsuit.

Wang spoke at my company years ago and he's far out. He benefitted from luck and timing IMO. He didn't manage CA well but the success came in acquiring other products and companies by CA.

He's penny wise and pound foolish with NYI. Saving pennies (relative to his wealth) on no President, no scouting director, no assistant GM, lousy radio coverage etc. is depriving him of growing NYI with more revenue down the road. I think he doesn't know what he wants or more importantly doesn't care. Howard Hughes without the talent.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Drivefor5

Wondering if since the Wangster is not getting what he wants from TOH in the form of the Lighthouse Project that he figures:

1. Publicly he will honor the NVMC lease, (stated publicly by Wang)
2. Put no more then the necessary salary floor into the team for the next 5 years, (sell the old we are rebuilding through the draft)
3. Destroy what is left of the fan base and a once proud Islanders tradition in the next 5 years. This way no fans will be left to fight a move of the team.
4. When 2015 comes around he either gets what he wants from TOH or relocates the team.
5. Complains to NHL he needs to move as the Long Island market can no longer support a team due to bad ticket sales and the fact that he can not get what he wants from TOH in the form of the Lighthouse Project.

If this is his plan and he keeps directly or indirectly abusing his fanbase with past, current, and future behaviors that we are all used to such as:

1. Staying with Milbury way too long and backing him on every bad decision.
2. Hiring an unproven NHL coach in Peter Laviolette then relasing him after 2 seasons where his team had made the playoffs.
3. Releasing Neil Smith 40 days after he starts.
4. Hiring an proven NHL coach in Ted Nolan and releasing him after 2 seasons.
5. Hiring an unproven NHL coach in Scott Gordon and dumping him after 2 seasons.
6. Dumping a good commentator in Bill Jaffe.
7. Pulling Chris Botta's media credentials.
8. Subjecting the fanbase to a media blackout
9. etc....
10.etc......

Then I am afraid we will be without a team on Long Island and Wang, Bettman and the NHL will be responsible for what Wang is and will be doing to our beloved Islanders.

One last thing, all sports teams make money on their tradition. Wang has never gotten that fact and has squandered that rich heritage. I could only wonder how a one Mr George M Steinbrenner would have run this organization.

Drivefor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Isles727

I 100% agree. I just wonder if there is a way to get a prospective buyer, Bettman, Mangano, and Murray together and work out a new arena deal instead of trying to build a city which Wang was trying to do. Nobody will buy the team without arena deal, but the Islanders will be somewhere in 2015. There will be a new arena either on Long Island, Queens, or relocate to Quebec City/elsewhere out of New York. The question is whether the owner could take 3 years of losses until the arena situation gets resolved. The expiring lease is an asset.

Isles727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:21 PM
lorwood

I have to disagree with the no Arena premise. I think a savvy person could begin negotiations to buy the club while also beginning negotiations to put an arena deal in place with the caveat that one hinges on the other. Murray and Nassau have always said that an arena alone does not pose a problem. So the right owner (somebody that actually loves hockey) could potentially score a pretty good deal on a hockey team and a new arena with some savvy. I think that the TOH and Nassau politicians could also see a new owner as a way to come out looking like the good guys in all of this.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:46 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNYI View Post
This quote from the 2007 NY Times article on CA that the article posted above references, is very telling in 2010:

Mr. Wang created a “culture of fear” at Computer Associates — now called CA — and deliberately put inexperienced executives in senior positions so that he would have more control, according to the report. He discouraged executives from meeting with each other and arbitrarily fired managers or employees who disagreed with him.

Say no more. I read it as well and it's been echoing in my head for the past week. Why? It fits so well with how the Islanders are run with him as owner.

Milbury (village idiot) - Wang kept him beyond the beyond. It took Milbury resigning to get him out.
Jaffe (qualified) - Contract not renewed
Neil Smith (qualified) - Hired then discovered he was qualified, decent hockey mind, and run out of town.
Jankowski (qualified) - Contract not renewed
Botta (qualified) - Released
Chris Dey (son in law) - Hired
Hofstra Radio (completely minor league) - Hired

It's a minor league zoo in Uniondale and Wang is the is pulling all the strings. His resume reads like the captain of the Titanic and yet Isles fans keep defending him saying he "saved the team."

From what? A better owner?

I'm so sick of him that I'll risk them leaving if he puts them up for sale.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:51 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin109 View Post
Can this guy please buy the Islanders, Listen to this interview of prospective owner of Coyotes, everything you want an owner to be.

The guy SOUNDS real good, but these days I am so sick of talk. Let me see what ACTIONS he takes.

That said, I'd take him in a second over Wang because Wang is the worst owner in the NHL and possibly all of North American sports.

Old
12-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Drivefor5

Wow I never knew Wang had a cameo in Caddyshack!!!

Maybe if he bought players like his buddy Al Czervik bought golfing equipment we would not be the worst team in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=171FURqSIQc

Last edited by Drivefor5: 12-22-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old
12-14-2010, 06:52 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin109 View Post

That guy is getting one SWEETHEART of a deal that FAT *SS MURRAY would never give him (nor most other politicians).

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...ale-lease.html

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:04 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNYI View Post
This quote from the 2007 NY Times article on CA that the article posted above references, is very telling in 2010:

Wow, sounds eerily familiar.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Drivefor5

Caddyshack Mr. Wang
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caddyshack Mr. Wang.jpg‎ (28.3 KB, 21 views)

Old
12-16-2010, 02:59 PM
ctfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
I have to disagree with the no Arena premise. I think a savvy person could begin negotiations to buy the club while also beginning negotiations to put an arena deal in place with the caveat that one hinges on the other. Murray and Nassau have always said that an arena alone does not pose a problem. So the right owner (somebody that actually loves hockey) could potentially score a pretty good deal on a hockey team and a new arena with some savvy. I think that the TOH and Nassau politicians could also see a new owner as a way to come out looking like the good guys in all of this.
Nobody's building an arena here out of their own pocket, so I don't understand your post. Of course Murray will allow Wang to build an arena on his own dime. That's not happening. That's the whole issue.

ctfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:10 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nferr View Post
Nobody's building an arena here out of their own pocket, so I don't understand your post. Of course Murray will allow Wang to build an arena on his own dime. That's not happening. That's the whole issue.
The post was in response to the argument that Wang could not sell the team until an arena deal was in place. I disagree. I think somebody interested in the team could begin negotiations with Wang get a deal in principle in place and hinge that deal with the ability to negotiate a new building deal. In fact a new owner with a deal in principle in place with Wang could say to Nassau and the TOH " I have a deal in place to buy the team and want to work with you on a new arena but I am under no obligation to keep this team here and I will buy the team and move if I get a better and quicker Arena deal elsewhere"

I never said anything about a new owner building his own arena.

Old
12-17-2010, 11:51 AM
periferal

Here's your solution for a potential buyer of the Isles...

I am a fan of the Seattle Seahawks. In 1995 former owner Ken Behring threatened to move the team to LA. Literally he packed the vans and Seattle residents went nuts. There were literally people standing in front of the moving trucks as they tried to drive away.

This fervor led to local residents, businessmen, and politicians to pressure Seattle's own billionaire, Paul Allen, to buy the team. The Seahawks played in the Kingdome at the time which was a slab of concrete way outdated for the 90's (much less today). Paul Allen agreed to purchase the team, but only if he had a guarantee that a new stadium would be built.

So here's what he did...

Allen agreed to a deal to purchase the Seahawks from Behring while simultaneously putting together a bill that put a tax on hotels and created a new lottery to be voted on by King Country citizens. The proceeds of this bill would go directly to the funding of a new stadium.

At the same time Paul Allen put down 100 million as a deposit/option to hold the deal while the bill was being created and voted on. If the vote failed and there was to be no new stadium, Allen would walk away. However if the vote did pass then the agreement to purchase kicked in and he became the new owner.

For those of you who follow the NFL, I think you know how it played out. The bill did pass and 1999 was the last season the Seahawks played in the Kingdome. It was imploded and the Seahawks played at the University of Washington (Husky Stadium) for two seasons while the new stadium was built on the Kingdome site. What stands there now is Quest Field - Easily one of the most beautiful stadiums in this country and under Paul Allen's ownership the Seahawks had their greatest stretch as a franchise, making the playoffs five years in a row including a Super Bowl appearance.

The point of all this is...If a new owner has interest in the Islanders, but doesn't want to officially purchase them without a GUARANTEE that a new arena is built, there are options to make this happen...As long as Wang/TOH aren't idiots about it.