HF Snapshot - Greg Nemisz

Old
12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Ken McKenna
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ken McKenna
HF Snapshot - Greg Nemisz

Calgary Flames prospect Greg Nemisz, currently playing for the AHL's Abbotsford Heat, is the subject of this HF Snapshot video.

Ken McKenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:41 PM
tfong

I'm not sure how to look at this.

On an upside, Nemisz (soon I can call him Nemo?) is 2nd in team scoring. But on the other hand its 13 points in 28 games, which is much less than other top prospects.

Guys like Max Pacioretty and Boychuk were all cut from their teams but are having PPG or better seasons in the AHL. Granted though Boychuk is a year older and has one year in the AHL already and Max has been there for 3 years now.

Mitch Wahl with 5 points in 15 games? Man what is going on down there?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:34 PM
flames123

Mitch Wahl has been forced into a very defensive role and from what I hear it was hurt his game, much like Backlund last year.

Nemisz had most of his points in the first 10-15 games and since then has really fallen off. 10pts in first 11 games.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Mitch Wahl has been forced into a very defensive role and from what I hear it was hurt his game, much like Backlund last year.

Nemisz had most of his points in the first 10-15 games and since then has really fallen off. 10pts in first 11 games.
Whyyyyyyyyy....god the corruption runs further into the Flames system than just the main team...

Woot lets turn offensive players into 3rd line grinders!!! Wheeee...poor Lombardi...

Old
12-13-2010, 08:35 PM
King Of The North
Iggy2014GoBruins

Well, Backlund's offense never left him, he just improved defensively. I trust Playfair.

King Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:16 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
Well, Backlund's offense never left him, he just improved defensively. I trust Playfair.
Yup. I actually think it is a great move by Playfair to work on rounding the prospects games from the start.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Whyyyyyyyyy....god the corruption runs further into the Flames system than just the main team...

Woot lets turn offensive players into 3rd line grinders!!! Wheeee...poor Lombardi...
yes teaching defense is such a horrible thing... and Wahl is projected to most likely be a 3rd line center... so he needs to be very adept defensively

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
yes teaching defense is such a horrible thing... and Wahl is projected to most likely be a 3rd line center... so he needs to be very adept defensively
Well my worry is that Calgary needs to develop their offensive prospects and choking their creativity with a defense first system for 2-3 years stifles any of the creativity that they may have.

Old
12-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Flamefan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
is wahl the next Dave bolland

Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:56 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well my worry is that Calgary needs to develop their offensive prospects and choking their creativity with a defense first system for 2-3 years stifles any of the creativity that they may have.
I completely disagree with that, developing concepts of defensive hockey does not ruin your creativity it cuts down on taking stupid risks and coming back to play hard in your own zone. Datsuyk is a good example of a player that is extremely creative but still an amazing penalty killer. Just because a player is creative doesn't give them the exception to disregard the defensive part of the game. You will then have a player that can put up lots of points but finishes the season -20

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 12:41 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
I completely disagree with that, developing concepts of defensive hockey does not ruin your creativity it cuts down on taking stupid risks and coming back to play hard in your own zone. Datsuyk is a good example of a player that is extremely creative but still an amazing penalty killer. Just because a player is creative doesn't give them the exception to disregard the defensive part of the game. You will then have a player that can put up lots of points but finishes the season -20
I'm not arguing that knowing how to play defense is important as a center, I'm arguing whether such a stifling defensive system is better/worse for prospects such as Wahl when they should be at the age where we want to know what their limitations and potential for the NHL should be. When you play in a defensive system for a number of years, it is quite possible that entering the NHL, thats all you think about -- defense defense defense, forgetting the possibility that deep down there is a very offensively gifted mind that hasn't been unlocked perhaps because the player wasn't encouraged to anything outside of the defensive system.

Not that defense is bad, but we are in sore need of top six offensive players in the coming years is my concern.

Datsyuk came straight from Kazan and bypassed the AHL so he may not be the best example to use.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:27 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm not arguing that knowing how to play defense is important as a center, I'm arguing whether such a stifling defensive system is better/worse for prospects such as Wahl when they should be at the age where we want to know what their limitations and potential for the NHL should be. When you play in a defensive system for a number of years, it is quite possible that entering the NHL, thats all you think about -- defense defense defense, forgetting the possibility that deep down there is a very offensively gifted mind that hasn't been unlocked perhaps because the player wasn't encouraged to anything outside of the defensive system.

Not that defense is bad, but we are in sore need of top six offensive players in the coming years is my concern.

Datsyuk came straight from Kazan and bypassed the AHL so he may not be the best example to use.
I trust Playfair, when he coached the Flames he cared about defense but wasn't constantly jamming it down their throats like the Sutters.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:51 AM
King Of The North
Iggy2014GoBruins

People should relax, Playfair is not going to take away the offensive skill of prospects. He's going to make them more well-rounded and responsible. There is a difference between making a player into a grinder and making a player responsible.

King Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote