HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Verdun not so dry anymore (bars! bars! bars!)

Old
12-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 500
Verdun not so dry anymore (bars! bars! bars!)

Heyhey!

I'm not sure how many on here are from Verdun, but I got some very good news for you!

Soon enough (hopefully before the playoffs), the people of verdun will be able to enjoy a nice pint of beer or any other form of alcohol without having to go to a restaurant or Pinot Sport, the shadiest (spelling?) excuse for a resto-bar known to man.

I give you the Mayor's new plan:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/M...s-permis.shtml

French article, sorry :S

Weeeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited by Strik_IX: 12-09-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:39 AM
euphrates

i guess the crime rate will go up as well

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:49 AM
A1
Everything is awful

Nothing good can come of this.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:55 AM
neofury*

It's funny recently somebody told me that they were really starting to clean up Verdun. Is this really going to help that?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:04 AM
twenty7

Verdun represent !!!!! Finally it was time for a change!! can't wait to see what will become
of the next years too come in the future

twenty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Megaforce

There are several faces of Verdun. Anything west of the Avenues is peaceful and charming. Nun's Island, of course, is very posh. But downtown Verdun has got some pretty bad stuff happening, there's a massive mentally ill community (who live there because it's near the Douglas) and there's a ton of crack and welfare. I mean Alex Hilton lives down there, need I say more? It's long overdue nonetheless, Wellington has too many empty storefronts.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
There are several faces of Verdun. Anything west of the Avenues is peaceful and charming. Nun's Island, of course, is very posh. But downtown Verdun has got some pretty bad stuff happening, there's a massive mentally ill community (who live there because it's near the Douglas) and there's a ton of crack and welfare. I mean Alex Hilton lives down there, need I say more? It's long overdue nonetheless, Wellington has too many empty storefronts.
Douglas hospital is west of the avenues, to be honest these days apart for the avenues Verdun is pretty cleaned up. I live 2 blocks away from the 1st avenue and the apartment is great, huge terrace, no noise whatsoever, nice neighbors.

There's some nice restaurants now and the only shady joints are the 3 "resto-bars", one of which is a Belle Province. Some nice bars would be great to complement the restaurants and cafes.

I for one am quite happy, I think it's a good move and it actually will clean up the place a bit, if of course said bars won't be Pinot Sport type of establishments.

Old
12-09-2010, 09:43 AM
phoque taupe

vCash: 152
oh my.
Not a good area to pass out in a bar :p

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:44 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post
i guess the crime rate will go up as well
In Verdun? How is even even possible to go any higher?

Hide yo kids, Hide yo wife...

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawktop View Post
oh my.
Not a good area to pass out in a bar :p
I'd much rather pass out in a bar in Verdun than downtown.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Verdun has always been unique, all it's borders with Cote-St-Paul & The Pointe are filled with pubs. Not like people from Verdun don't drink a ton, they just did it on Balconville.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Et le But

Last time I was in Verdun it seemed noticeably cleaned up, I don't think this will cause any trouble.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:57 AM
GoodKiwi

I often visit the area around LaSalle metro and it's shady as hell. Especially some of the smaller residential streets and narrow back-alleys that are everywhere. White trash all around, drinking beer on their balconies and throwing bottles on the ground.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
I often visit the area around LaSalle metro and it's shady as hell. Especially some of the smaller residential streets and narrow back-alleys that are everywhere. White trash all around, drinking beer on their balconies and throwing bottles on the ground.
There's some pretty amazing lofts and condos in that area, although I'll admit that north of Wellington it does get a little shady. I lived in that area (Gertrude street lol) and never had anything bad happen, didn't witness anything other than the good old balcony surfers either.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
There's some pretty amazing lofts and condos in that area, although I'll admit that north of Wellington it does get a little shady. I lived in that area (Gertrude street lol) and never had anything bad happen, didn't witness anything other than the good old balcony surfers either.
I know exactly where that is. I nearly had a beer bottle land on my head while heading North on Rushbrooke (around Caisse). Also got mugged once right in front of Poutine Lafleur late at night. A friend on Evelyn had his front door kicked in and all of his possessions stolen a month ago.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:22 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
I'd much rather pass out in a bar in Verdun than downtown.
My friend got drugged about 3 weeks ago in a bar downtown. Hadn't had anything to drink, goes up and gets a beer. Drank half of it and was sick. Got really sick and dizzy and even blacked out on one of those cinder blocks they have to stop cars from entering.

Luckily he had called a ride prior to passing out and they managed to find him. He vaguely remembers the ride home and after that a ton of time passed and he woke up on a friends couch.

All this for drinking half a beer, he had just got downtown too. He doesn't know if it was slipped in his drink after he got the beer or if the bartender did it even. He says he had his beer in front of him and it was on the table right there, that it would've been really hard to do it if somebody wanted to. He's a guy too so it's even weirder. My guess is that maybe people use it as a means to rob people?

Old
12-09-2010, 01:28 PM
A1
Everything is awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
My friend got drugged about 3 weeks ago in a bar downtown. Hadn't had anything to drink, goes up and gets a beer. Drank half of it and was sick. Got really sick and dizzy and even blacked out on one of those cinder blocks they have to stop cars from entering.

Luckily he had called a ride prior to passing out and they managed to find him. He vaguely remembers the ride home and after that a ton of time passed and he woke up on a friends couch.

All this for drinking half a beer, he had just got downtown too. He doesn't know if it was slipped in his drink after he got the beer or if the bartender did it even. He says he had his beer in front of him and it was on the table right there, that it would've been really hard to do it if somebody wanted to. He's a guy too so it's even weirder. My guess is that maybe people use it as a means to rob people?

Sounds like your friend can't hold his liquor

Also, who goes to a bar to not drink and then call for a ride home?

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:

Xanax/Prozac and alcohol do not mix people!

Old
12-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Chiyo
トラ・トラ・トラ

What's the bar on Hickson corner Wellington? Or is it something else..

Chiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Et le But

Quote:

Don't tell me that this happened on Crescent.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:25 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Don't tell me that this happened on Crescent.
It happened surprisingly at Mad Hatters. Just some normal bar not a club or anything like that.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:26 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
Sounds like your friend can't hold his liquor

Also, who goes to a bar to not drink and then call for a ride home?
He went there to drink, it was his first drink that ****ed him up like that. Not even my little brother would feel something remotely close to what happened to him from half a beer. He went to drink but he got so sick he couldn't and called for a friend to pick him up.

Old
12-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I grew in Verdun & it's safe as long as your from the area & it's way better now than 20 years ago. Also you could always drink out as long as you ordered food. We used to order small poutines at Mike's followed by 8 beers all the time. Also pretty much every Anglo was a member of the Legion the unofficial local Pub.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Doig

vCash: 50
Yeee lived there from age 1-4, family grew up there. Miss it.

Doig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 05:29 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

some of you are missing another point made in that article.

Tremblay is saying that he wants to convert all the religious buildings on Nun's island (that were sold by the community) to social housing.

Now that can be either a really really good thing or a really really bad one.

I, for one, am looking forward to how the plan develops. Turning Verdun into the next Plateau has been in the works for a long time. Montreal can only benefit from such a thing.

Let me tell you how much i miss Montreal right now...Winnipeg sucks.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote