HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs beat Sens 4-1

Old
12-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
One other thing on Hamrlik, we know exactly how he fits in on this team's sytem, in the room, as a mentor to the younger guys, etc. Even if we could in theory have a 'better' UFA D-man this summer, there's no garanteeing he'd be as good for the team as Hamrlik is now. Obviously this summer is far away, but as it stands now I sure hope we bring him back. I doubt at his age that he's expecting a similar salary.
Agreed. Add in the fact that he likes playing in Canada, likes the city and absolutely loves playing with Spacek and I can see us getting him for a far more reasonable price.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Agreed. Add in the fact that he likes playing in Canada, likes the city and absolutely loves playing with Spacek and I can see us getting him for a far more reasonable price.
Does he really love playing with Spacek or are they just getting along since they're fellow Czechs?

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
onice

Quote:
And you really think those things matter more than money?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Teufelsdreck

I heard great things about Yannick Weber. What do I think about him now that I've seen him in action? He's pretty good but he's not The Weber of his press agent's buildup based largely on his AHL games). The Habs can't afford to stand pat against the Red Wings. Time to reinsert Subban.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:05 PM
TheBuriedHab

My only Concern is Hamrlik looked really good at this point last year as well, but he looked worn down in the last stretch and in the playoffs. Hopefully they pace him and Spac more wisely this year, obviously having Pk will help.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I'm not saying he'll sign for 2mil a year, but moving, comfort in ones environment and competitiveness all factor into ones decision. I don't think it would be unreasonable to think he would take a slight discount to play in Montreal.

Old
12-07-2010, 10:07 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
No but, he really does love playing in Canada. He told his Agent that he wanted to play in Canada when he was a ufa. If habs offer him a fair deal he will stay.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:08 PM
RNiner

Quote:
I'm not saying he'll sign for 2mil a year, but moving, comfort in ones environment and competitiveness all factor into ones decision. I don't think it would be unreasonable to think he would take a slight discount to play in Montreal.
Agreed. Its one thing to expect a youngish guy to take a discount on his first major FA contract. Its another for a 38 y/o with as many years in the NHL as Hamrlik has. An extra 1 mil isn't going to make Hammer's life any different, given all the money he's made already, but spending another year or two in a city he likes with players/coaches he likes certainly could.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Does he really love playing with Spacek or are they just getting along since they're fellow Czechs?
i do beleive they played together when they won Gold in nagano in 98. but i could be wrong

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:15 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Your obviously not one of the worst posters here, but your being way to hard on Subban. He helped as win more than he's contributed to a loss. The Oiler game was bad, and the climax of a trend of worsening and more selfish play (such as overshooting the puck, especially on the PP). But that being said, we obviously missed him on the PP last night, especially his ability to draw defenders out and rush the puck. and Price was the biggest reason Montreal beat San Jose, as I recall he had to be spectacular several times. It is the perfect time for Subban to come back in, because he's seen that the team can win without him. He's also seen a ream that plays for each other, something PK stopped doing before he was benched. Finally, he sees where he can help the team (which is on the PP). PK fell trap to rookie mistakes that pretty much ever rookie makes. It happened with Eller earlier in the year. Heck, even Stamkos was benched in his rookie year. PK will be fine, he just has to remember what made him so effective at the beginning of the year.
Great post. This is why I read HF.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I can't be sure, but when I was watching TSN before the game they were talking about the Czech duo. They were talking about how they always practice with each other, speak Czech on the bench and joke with each other and stuff. This was coming from Gorges mind you.

Old
12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Turboflex*

notice as soon as gomez went out, we could barely gain the opposition zone on that major PP? Let alone complete a pass in it?

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Moen in Glory
Sidebar is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
i do beleive they played together when they won Gold in nagano in 98. but i could be wrong
Yes they did, not sure if they were paired at that time though.

Now I see Saku got the bronze medal along with... Janne Niinimaa

Moen in Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
notice as soon as gomez went out, we could barely gain the opposition zone on that major PP? Let alone complete a pass in it?
Yeahhhh.. without Gomez, Plekanec can't even enter the offensive zone on that PP... even if he don't usually play with Gomez on the PP. Gomez is the heart and soul of this team.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
McGuire has said this on two separate occasions now about the Halak trade for Eller. The fact is that even though Halak had a great run and is a #1 goalie the market wasn't there for the Habs as there were a lot of UFA goalies and other goalies available in trade. If Montreal couldn't have worked out a trade for Eller, the Blues probably would have signed Mason again, so they had leverage.

And it should be known that Pierre Gauthier asked for Eller, so the scouting department did it right. Sure Perron and Oshie are players all the critics are saying PG should have got, but look at their injury woes with those two in St. Louis. PG and Co. had a long term plan with the two they got from St. Louis for Halak.

McGuire should stick to the colour commentary and quite trying to look like and act like a NHL GM.

Eller with a little more weight in years to come with his skill set looks like a very good top 2 centre.
Another thing that surprises me that isn't brought up much about this trade is that out of all the players we *could* have gotten (Berglund, Oshie, Backes, Perron and Boyes) Eller is the higher first rounder.

Also, if we look at the fact that Halak was a RFA and the deal he signed, his compensation had St-Louis signed him to an offer sheet would have been a 1st and 3rd rounder. Schultz is a 3rd liner and Eller is a 1st. But no, nobody ever brings that up. It doesn't matter that Gauthier got a very fair compensation in return, what matters is that Halak was the PO hero and we *could* have gotten more according to all the armchair GMs.
We can also note that there's no guarantee that the 1st rounder we would have gotten through an offer sheet would have been 13th overall (or better), and he would have been even further away from the NHL than Eller.

All together, the trade Gauthier made was good in terms of value. Anybody suggesting otherwise isn't looking at the big picture.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Yeahhhh.. without Gomez, Plekanec can't even enter the offensive zone on that PP... even if he don't usually play with Gomez on the PP. Gomez is the heart and soul of this team.
Not sure if serious...?

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Another thing that surprises me that isn't brought up much about this trade is that out of all the players we *could* have gotten (Berglund, Oshie, Backes, Perron and Boyes) Eller is the higher first rounder.

Also, if we look at the fact that Halak was a RFA and the deal he signed, his compensation had St-Louis signed him to an offer sheet would have been a 1st and 3rd rounder. Schultz is a 3rd liner and Eller is a 1st. But no, nobody ever brings that up. It doesn't matter that Gauthier got a very fair compensation in return, what matters is that Halak was the PO hero and we *could* have gotten more according to all the armchair GMs.
We can also note that there's no guarantee that the 1st rounder we would have gotten through an offer sheet would have been 13th overall (or better), and he would have been even further away from the NHL than Eller.

All together, the trade Gauthier made was good in terms of value. Anybody suggesting otherwise isn't looking at the big picture.
you sir are using logic and sound arguments that based on facts, on the internets! have you no shame?

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Long Sky

gomez

does anyone know what happened to gomez tonight against ottawa? He didn't finish the game.

Long Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:43 PM
FeelsLike93

Wat do u guys think? Price in vs Detroit friday night, or against the leafs saturday night?

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:44 PM
phoque taupe

price both

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:45 PM
mtl_felix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
Wat do u guys think? Price in vs Detroit friday night, or against the leafs saturday night?
I'd say both.
I'd like to have Auld play a "lesser team" but the leafs on a saturday night are always hard to beat.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:46 PM
RNiner

I'd put Auld vs. Toronto.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
FeelsLike93

Yeah I was thinking Price vs Detroit to see how we stack up, but then again they usually like to put in the starter against a divisional team but Toronto isn't a team we're really threatened by in the division.

Asking cause I'm going to my first ever game friday vs detroit and hoping to see BOTH Price and Subban, can't imagine the game without those two haha

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
I'd say both.
I'd like to have Auld play a "lesser team" but the leafs on a saturday night are always hard to beat.
We gotta rest Price sometimes though. What better time than vs an AHL-callibre offense?

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
m00ks

This team is the epitome of the sum of its parts.

No Markov. No Subban. Pleks held pointless. Price need not to be in the 3 stars. And just for kicks, Gomez gone by the start of the second half.

We win 4-1.

Quite remarkable really if you think about it.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote