HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs beat Sens 4-1

Old
12-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why many feel Eller will probably be a bottom-six guy? To me, he has too much talent, speed and intelligence to not play in the top-six.
Just ignore Pierre McGuire. He's an idiot.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 07:41 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why many feel Eller will probably be a bottom-six guy? To me, he has too much talent, speed and intelligence to not play in the top-six.
The only person who's eluded to that is Pierre McGuire. I've never heard anyone else say they didn't think Eller didn't have the skill to be top 6. Anyone with eyes who's seen this kid play knows it's a matter of time and development until he's a mainstay on the top 6. Last nights performance is foreshadowing what he'll do for us for a long time IMO. Longer than Halaks usefulness to the Blues IMO as well.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:31 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Philly is the real mother****ing test, son.
Philly is a team that happens to be structured the exploit the weaknesses we have. There are teams we can eat up, they happen to be the team that could eat us.

Beating them is beating the odds, pure and simple. But I don't think we should use it as a benchmark for the NHL.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Philly is a team that happens to be structured the exploit the weaknesses we have. There are teams we can eat up, they happen to be the team that could eat us.

Beating them is beating the odds, pure and simple. But I don't think we should use it as a benchmark for the NHL.
Not to mention that their style is favored in the playoffs. Less penalties get called against them for their interference and cheap shot ******** in the post season.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not to mention that their style is favored in the playoffs. Less penalties get called against them for their interference and cheap shot ******** in the post season.
To be honest, seeing our current PP, I don't really mind if less PP are called in the game

edit: I still have to see the proof that their style is "favored in he playoffs". Yhea, I get it, "tough", "nya nya nya", etc.. but when was the last time they won a cup? The Broad Street Bullies won the Cup because they happened to have a fantastic goalie at the time.

I say a solid D and fantastic goalie is much better than whater muscle the Flyers can muster.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:

it's strange with philly. at first i think they are in our heads but then we go out and dominate them in montreal - and in that first in philly. if we use our speed we have big chances of beating them because we can blow by their D and have a faster team in general BUT they play the equivalent of a trap vs us where they too clog neutral zone and then chip the puck past our D and grind us down low in the offensive zone. it's a mixture of martin being out coached and a lack of size up front vs. them. we have difficulty paying the price vs. their big and chippy dmen

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:48 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
To be honest, seeing our current PP, I don't really mind if less PP are called in the game

edit: I still have to see the proof that their style is "favored in he playoffs". Yhea, I get it, "tough", "nya nya nya", etc.. but when was the last time they won a cup? The Broad Street Bullies won the Cup because they happened to have a fantastic goalie at the time.

I say a solid D and fantastic goalie is much better than whater muscle the Flyers can muster.

our pp is like 10th in the league...

and it has nothing to do with playing tough. Their players know how to push the rules to the limit in the playoffs. Our game is dependent on speed and when you get interfered with on every dump in, you won't get the puck. That's why we did so well against philly in reg. season and then always lose in the playoffs.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
it's strange with philly. at first i think they are in our heads but then we go out and dominate them in montreal - and in that first in philly. if we use our speed we have big chances of beating them because we can blow by their D and have a faster team in general BUT they play the equivalent of a trap vs us where they too clog neutral zone and then chip the puck past our D and grind us down low in the offensive zone. it's a mixture of martin being out coached and a lack of size up front vs. them. we have difficulty paying the price vs. their big and chippy dmen
Pretty much. They are a team that makes you "pay the price". It's an interesting style that can bring you quite some success, but it's far from unbeatable (I think we proved it a few times).

Thing is, there aren't that many teams structured like that in the NHL nowaday. You can maybe count on one hand the teams in the NHL that has a rooster remotely close to the Flyer's Goon Depth, and I can't say all of them have the genuine talent to still win the game.

Just because we just can't compete with Philly on their own strenght doesn't mean we have a weak team. It just means JM has to find a way to make us play on our own strenght rather than their's. We have to make them play our game, not the other way around.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:

Philly also owned New Jersy last season & the seasons before (when NJ was still good). They are just a D busting team and you can't smother them with D like you can to some other top ranked teams.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Another thing that surprises me that isn't brought up much about this trade is that out of all the players we *could* have gotten (Berglund, Oshie, Backes, Perron and Boyes) Eller is the higher first rounder.

Also, if we look at the fact that Halak was a RFA and the deal he signed, his compensation had St-Louis signed him to an offer sheet would have been a 1st and 3rd rounder. Schultz is a 3rd liner and Eller is a 1st. But no, nobody ever brings that up. It doesn't matter that Gauthier got a very fair compensation in return, what matters is that Halak was the PO hero and we *could* have gotten more according to all the armchair GMs.
We can also note that there's no guarantee that the 1st rounder we would have gotten through an offer sheet would have been 13th overall (or better), and he would have been even further away from the NHL than Eller.

All together, the trade Gauthier made was good in terms of value. Anybody suggesting otherwise isn't looking at the big picture.
McGuire is too busy pimping his own agenda to look at all the facts...he's spent the entire summer/winter talking about how the Habs got abused by the Blues in this trade and because of this, he doesn't look at Eller objectively, he just keeps saying how he has no hockey sense and should be playing in the AHL.

Man, one day, i'm going to call into McGuire on Ottawa radio on a Wednesday (that's when he takes calls) and i'm going to OWN him on this...

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Philly also owned New Jersy last season & the seasons before (when NJ was still good). They are just a D busting team and you can't smother them with D like you can to some other top ranked teams.
Pretty much. Yet, they are weak against other kinds of team, which is perfectly normal. There are multiples style of coaching/team in the NHL, which revolve into a big convoluted rock-paper-scissors.

We have a good team, and we don't need to change the way we are just because we wanna beat the Flyers for sure. It's possible to beat them, just more difficult.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
tigerman111

dont know if it was mentioned, but just wanted to point out a stat from last night:
pleks was 20 for 26 inthe face off circle! thats crazy!

tigerman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
doubt it, he'll play against the Wings... Auld plays Leafs
Start Auld against the Wings so PK can get back in the lineup

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
HomaridII

Hey FEL!! Your videos about Pang are linked in the front page of HabsInsideOut!!

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Start Auld against the Wings so PK can get back in the lineup
Auld would beat the Wings.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Pk will be back soon, he is too good not to be. People quickly forget how he filled markov's place in the playoffs like it was nothing. Anyone that carries the puck as Much as Pk is going to have some turnovers. He just has to play a bit smarter so the turnovers aren't costly.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It is amazing and we've played well all year long. Much better than I thought we'd be. Not just great goaltending either... we are outplaying teams.

And that just didn't happen last year.
As some were trying to explain to you last year, a new coach along with a new system, alone, takes some time to put in place. Add in the fact half the team was also new, and then you need even more time as no chemistry has yet to be created.
So, already there, you need to be patient, and more than for 1/8th of a season.
Then you can also add the fact we suffered key injuries from Day 1, lines had to constantly be changed, players were moved around on a gamely basis, it was so bad that we dressed half of our AHL roster at some point during the first half of the season.
And so, how exactly do you build a strong structured team when it is constantly changing and so unstable??..You simply can't.

But you were rather quick to dismiss all of those facts.

Our team identity started to form in the POs. But again, many (not aiming this towards you necessarily, I don't remember your opinion on the matter) were quick to dismiss any doings from our coach or players and rather place 90% of the merit on Halak. They really didn't see more than Halak..Cammy...Gorges/Gill on PK. That's it.
But I saw a team unite and pretty much play a shutdown game. A team that was gritty and hardworking with every player pushing in the same direction, which is exactly what you need in order to be a winning team.

I often told people last year that if Markov remained healthy, last year, our point ratio with him in the lineup would have placed us in the top 3.
So, I can't say I'm surprised we're finding ourselves right there, especially knowing how poor Ottawa-Buffalo-Toronto would probably be. I had figured that with less injuries (which wasn't too hard to imagine), with the addition of PK, with a team unity finally understanding and buying into a system, we surely wouldn't have to struggle as much in order to make the POs.
But I am surprised how we've been doing this without Markov, without much of a 2nd line and without PK over the past three games. It really is a testament to Martin's coaching.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
McGuire is too busy pimping his own agenda to look at all the facts...he's spent the entire summer/winter talking about how the Habs got abused by the Blues in this trade and because of this, he doesn't look at Eller objectively, he just keeps saying how he has no hockey sense and should be playing in the AHL.

Man, one day, i'm going to call into McGuire on Ottawa radio on a Wednesday (that's when he takes calls) and i'm going to OWN him on this...
Pierre's Pierre. His position on the trade at the time and a few times since then was basically thus: "This is a good trade for the Habs IF Lars Eller materializes into a top-six forward, but I just don't know if he will ever be that."

That way, 1) if Eller never pans out, he says "I told you so -- Eller never looked to me like top-6 material. I would have asked for Oshie."

And

2) If he does become a top-six it's "I told you so -- I said if, if he works out as a top-6, then the Canadiens made a fine trade. I was right."

Presto. It's part of his prognostication schtick.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I just realized the Habs are the only team in the league yet to play in a shootout. So they lead the lead the league in regulation wins.
man thats great

its so strange too, seeing as how last year, didnt we play like 8 shootouts in our first 20 games??

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman111 View Post
dont know if it was mentioned, but just wanted to point out a stat from last night:
pleks was 20 for 26 inthe face off circle! thats crazy!
lol saw this in the paper today but ya beat me to it

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Serious HABit

peter laviolette has always had the habs' number.

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Serious HABit

and laviolette is from boston...so our real rivalry with that city forever lives on...under the mask of philadelphia.

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:26 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
The only person who's eluded to that is Pierre McGuire. I've never heard anyone else say they didn't think Eller didn't have the skill to be top 6. Anyone with eyes who's seen this kid play knows it's a matter of time and development until he's a mainstay on the top 6. Last nights performance is foreshadowing what he'll do for us for a long time IMO. Longer than Halaks usefulness to the Blues IMO as well.
I've heard Bobby Mac say that too which surprised me.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
I've heard Bobby Mac say that too which surprised me.
Really? I never heard that. Oh well, everyone is entitled to an offday now and then.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Pierre seems to think the Canadiens lost the trade because we didn't get T.J. Oshie or David Perron.

As if, you know, those guys were ever on the table. For a goalie, no less.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote