HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lie...

Old
04-15-2010, 03:56 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Lie...

I feel like my stick with a lie of 5.5 is too short. However, my 6 lie stick (about an 1.5 inches longer) is perfect. I would prefer to not buy another blade for my shorter stick and just replace the butt end; would that help it sit better? Or should I just internet search for pretty much a bauer blade? I'd really prefer to fix this with a $5 fix rather than $40 plus shipping. I'd be looking for a standard blade to pair with my old school ultra lite.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just buy a wood butt end, put it in the shorter stick, and cut it down to length.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I feel like my stick with a lie of 5.5 is too short. However, my 6 lie stick (about an 1.5 inches longer) is perfect. I would prefer to not buy another blade for my shorter stick and just replace the butt end; would that help it sit better? Or should I just internet search for pretty much a bauer blade? I'd really prefer to fix this with a $5 fix rather than $40 plus shipping. I'd be looking for a standard blade to pair with my old school ultra lite.
I'm tall and went to a longer stick so I switched from a 6 lie to a 5.5 lie. The higher the lie the sharper the angle of the blade in relation to the shaft.

Sorry if you know this crap already, it gets redundant around here but here goes anyhewdles.

A 5.5 is not much different than a 6 but it is different. More toe touches with a 5.5 than a 6 unless you are using a shorter shaft to make the same middle spot touch as the 5.5 did using the 6 lie.

if you made the stick with 5.5 lie longer it would be perfect like your 6 lie but the stick would be longer than your 6 lie shaft SOOOOOoooo if the 6 and that length fits scrap the 5.5 lie and never buy it again.

I just sold a bunch of 5 lie blades to get rid of them and cursed myself for ever buying them even though they were on clearance. Sometimes bargains are tempting but i am never buying the wrong lie ever again no matter what the price.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 07:54 PM
puck10

LIES, LIES, and more LIES!

Bringing the never-ending "LIE" debate back to light, only b/c I just recently came back from my LHS, where I tried to compare/contrast the stated lies for the two major players, EASTON and BAUER.

Bauer P88 vs Bauer P92, both labeled 6, ModSquad classifies them as 5.5.. to me, P88 seemed LOWER (closer to 5.5) than the P92 (closer to 6).. would most agree?

Same thing w/ Easton.. Iginla appeared LOWER than the Sakic and the Drury was somewhere in between.

Then again, I'm certainly NO expert, and may or may not have been measuring the lies appropriately/correctly.

Given the importance of a stick's lie to one's game, it's completely FRUSTRATING as a consumer to find the right lie for you.. an expensive trial and error process, that's for sure.

puck10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck10 View Post
Bringing the never-ending "LIE" debate back to light, only b/c I just recently came back from my LHS, where I tried to compare/contrast the stated lies for the two major players, EASTON and BAUER.

Bauer P88 vs Bauer P92, both labeled 6, ModSquad classifies them as 5.5.. to me, P88 seemed LOWER (closer to 5.5) than the P92 (closer to 6).. would most agree?

Same thing w/ Easton.. Iginla appeared LOWER than the Sakic and the Drury was somewhere in between.

Then again, I'm certainly NO expert, and may or may not have been measuring the lies appropriately/correctly.

Given the importance of a stick's lie to one's game, it's completely FRUSTRATING as a consumer to find the right lie for you.. an expensive trial and error process, that's for sure.
I have a pro-stock RBK Iginla (IG17) and it does not have a lie on it but it is somewhere in between a 6 and 5.5. Sounds crazy but it literally is in between the two. The Harrow 5.5 I used is closer to a 6 anyway.

These companies should all use the same exact math.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:04 PM
puck10

HIGHEST lie, at retail?!

Does anyone, off-hand, know the HIGHEST lie (6 lie or higher) blade pattern that is actually available for sale at RETAIL?! A pattern that is PROVEN to be 6 lie or higher, unlike the old Bauer P71 which is listed everywhere as a 7, but many have argued against that actually being the case.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Old
04-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
The older 6 lie dolomite II fedorov blades seem to be closer to a 7.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 06:12 PM
jsykes

Lie is such a frustrating thing. In addition to them not being consistent from brand to brand, they dont give you much option in a particular lie and curve pattern.

Personally, I notice much more of a help or hurt in my performance with curve pattern than I do lie, but it is frustrating to find a curve you like, but not be able to get it in a lie you've been using or found to work for you.

But again, I've found I can use basically anything between a 4 and 6 and make it work just fine. I guess I just adapt to the angle as I've used all and never found any one or the other to wear the tape anything other than even across the bottom of the blade.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 02:01 AM
ju87

went from a Bauer P88 to a Reebok Datsyuk... although both are listed as Lie 6, i also think the P88 is a 5.5. The Datsyuk is forcing me to bend my top-hand elbow more

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

it'd be super awesome if I knew what was for sure a 6 lie so I can practice with two different curves. I love my current one, but I do also want to experiment with others.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:27 AM
puck10

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck10 View Post

As I noted earlier in this thread (above), most of us know that an EASTON Iginla (P7) 5.5 lie is NOT the same as an EASTON Sakic/Hall (P3) 5.5 lie. In my opinion, if you match the two up, the Iginla is clearly a LOWER lie than the Sakic/Hall.

I think it could be helpful for the board (and myself), to present each manufacturer’s RETAIL blade offerings in order from actual lowest lie to actual highest lie (1 being the lowest and vice versa). [Retail patterns commonly-available to the public ONLY, excluding discontinued patterns, such as the P1 Yzerman Lie 6]

Starting with EASTON, as an example:

1) P4 Modano/Forsberg/Zetterberg Lie 5
2) P9 Heatley Lie 5
3) P7 Iginla Lie 5.5
4) P6 Drury/Parise Lie 5.5
5) P3 Sakic/Hall Lie 5.5
6) P8 Gaborik Lie 5.5*
7) P5 Lidstrom/Getzlaf Lie 5.5*

* (I am not familiar enough with the P8 Gaborik and P5 Lidstrom/Getzlaf to gauge their actual lies in relation to the others).

BAUER?

RBK?

WARRIOR?

What do you think? It could be helpful.