HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan to center Gabby "thoughts"

Old
12-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
When we're back healthy

Prospal-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Fedotenko-Drury-Prust
Avery-Boyle-Christ/Boogard
Mostly like. I would rather see Boyle on Drury's wing. I really think he could excel there. Move Avery to 4C, which he has played effectively before.

Prospal - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Drury - Boyle
Prust - Avery - Boogaard

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 04:47 PM
DekeR

Until a legit 1st line center enters the picture and solidifies all three lines, this guess work of putting square pegs into round holes will be just that - frustrating.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:49 PM
smoneil

My only concern with Stepan on the top line (particularly with Feds and Gaborik) is that the kid just can't win a face off to save his life. On the top line, he's going to be in the circle a LOT more often, and neither Feds nor Gaborik can step in to take draws for him. As much as I want to see the Pack line back together, it makes more sense to play Dubi on the 1st line LW (at least until Drury gets back). Until Stepan learns how to win a draw, he's a liability on the top line.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 03:40 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
didn't Prospal play on Gabby's LW though? I think Prospal really made that line work. EC was just able to feed off of it. A creative and smart player like Stepan should be able to thrive in it.
Prospal started at center with gabby, Then got moved to wing after coming back from his knee injury the first time around.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Stepanformayor*

I say put Stepan with someone who can score, or trade to find someone.. IMO he's been one of the Ranger's top 3 forward's night in and night out most of the year.. He could easily have 4 assits again tonight if someone could score. What's Gaborik waiting for? Tort's knew all along what this kid could do. He's bucking for "Coach of the year" just for the way he's handled Step...

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:05 PM
doming07

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
I say put Stepan with someone who can score, or trade to find someone.. IMO he's been one of the Ranger's top 3 forward's night in and night out most of the year.. He could easily have 4 assits again tonight if someone could score. What's Gaborik waiting for? Tort's knew all along what this kid could do. He's bucking for "Coach of the year" just for the way he's handled Step...
He had a real nice game tonight.

I agree that Torts has handled him well, but I do think that Stepan would have been successful regardless of the coach. Kid just oozes smarts out there and looks like he's going to be a hell of a player for a long time.

doming07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:28 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Dubinsky - Stepan - Gaborik

That should be our first line, no question. Stepan really is playing like a top-3 forward on this team and he needs the best protection and weapons we can get him, Dubinsky and Gaborik are his ideal line mates.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:34 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Step really just oozes hockey IQ. He made a ton of smart plays tonight, plus the goal? This kid is probably my favorite current Ranger past Cally.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:23 AM
riz

I liked the composition of that top line against Ottawa, with Fedotenko providing some defensive coverage to allow Stepan and Gaborik attack more freely.

It would be interesting to see a line of Drury-Stepan-Gaborik after Drury comes back, as he could provide a better defensive cover on the line and help on the faceoffs quite a lot.

So juggling the lines a bit to something like:
Drury-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
Avery-EC-Boogaard/White

With Prospal back, he could either slot in at LW on the top line with Drury dropping to the 3rd and Boyle to 4th... or Prospal could slot in at C in the 3rd with Boyle on the 4th and EC prucha'd.

riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Stepanformayor*

I know Gabby's going to "snap out " at some point, cause he's just too good not to, but what's with the wrister from 25' every time he breaks in alone? He's got a great shot, but he telegraphs what he's he doing every time.. Every goalie in the game must know exactly what he's going to do?? If not for the 2 Hatty's he'd have 2 goals i think. Not what you'd expect from your All Star.
He made a couple nice plays last night but if he doesn't start scoring consistenly the Rangers won't be going too far.
Maybe we can talk Brett Hull out of retirement and just plant him in front of the net, and let Stepan fling him the biscut. Hull would have scored 100 goals a year with Step on his line.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote